The Fallout New Vegas Thread * will contain spoilers *

@Wabe
yeah, sounds like charisma and speechcraft will be a lot more important this time through. I'm wondering about Barter though. I think I'll probably have to sacrifice it if I want other stuff. Though I know they will be using for a lot more than just selling/buying loot.

Skipping hardcore eh? .... you know if your companions die, you reload... just like you reload 20 times at the beginning of Gothic games a Gothic difficulty as it sounds. And in some other thread when you open your mouth in some other about sentences with the words "Pure", "True", "RPG", "Start out weak" I'm going to have to remind you about New Vegas. I don't want to, but I'll feel compelled to. :p

Anyways, after playing FWE mod for fallout 3, hardcore mode won't feel that bad. I'm not a masochist type player either. It actually felt pretty fun when you had to work with what you found in a harsh wasteland. It wasn't just about amassing silly amounts of loot and selling it.

Thanks for the link

@PrincessFrosty
Sounds like a blast. Maybe I'll have a Russian female vixen who's good with the katana. Hardcore mode does favor melee not having to carry so much ammo weight, though it won't favor the healing I'll need when I run up into their face. Still thinking as I wait.

Last edited:
I thought this was pretty funny, not sure if it was done on purpose or not.

ScreenShot0.jpg

I bet hardcore melee would be a tough way to go.

I'm planning to make a melee character on hardcore for my first time as there are some nice traits/perks to pick up this time around.

If I'm not mistaken, throwing weapons are classified and modified by melee weapons so I'll be picking up Loose Cannon under traits for faster throwing knives, hatchets, and spears. Grab the Heave, Ho! perk at level 2 for even faster throwing weapons and to offset the reduced range of Loose Cannon.

Since I'm playing melee and will be taking damage during fights, I'm picking up Cannibal and Ghastly Scavenger to munch on victims after fights. I don't really care about the karma hit as I pretty much kill anyone that annoys me, talks back to me, or has something I want.

Due to the harsh penalties for broken limbs in Hardcore mode, medicine will probably be essential for any melee character and high medicine skill will allow me to pick up the sweet Living Anatomy perk.

I'll be going with a more finesse, ninja-like melee character cause I can see some potential with knives and hatchets with the Cowboy, Piercing Strike, and Slayer perks.

CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME

I hadn't realized this, so just to clarify:

You can start in Hardcore mode, and then turn it off, and you can turn it back on again if you want to. Turning off Hardcore mode will disable the hardcore achievement, but who really cares.

I might try it now.

If it makes the game more frustrating than fun though I'll switch it off in a second. And by frustration I mean dying because you can't find water, or because you're suffering from radiation poisoning. That's not really about gameplay, is it? That just turns the game into an endless search for water and medical treatment.

You can start in Hardcore mode, and then turn it off, and you can turn it back on again if you want to. Turning off Hardcore mode will disable the hardcore achievement, but who really cares.

I might try it now.

If it makes the game more frustrating than fun though I'll switch it off in a second. And by frustration I mean dying because you can't find water, or because you're suffering from radiation poisoning. That's not really about gameplay, is it? That just turns the game into an endless search for water and medical treatment.

You're not playing an RPG unless you do all of that. Gothic difficulty. Hardcore difficulty. It's all the same. All or nothing. ;)

I might try it now.

Shouldn't be bad. It's part of consolidating your gains and planning your next activities knowing your limits. Kind of like not running around everywhere you go. Do you run through night and day? It's all about smart living in the wasteland. And when you level up and get more powerful and make it big in the wasteland, then your character won't be concerned as much about those hardships.

I might be wrong, but I think there is some point with hardcore toggling on/off where if you turn it off you can't turn it back on.

You're not playing an RPG unless you do all of that. Gothic difficulty. Hardcore difficulty. It's all the same. All or nothing. ;)

lol

Anyone who's a little way in that can suggest what skills to NOT take? I'm just about to fire it up after work.

Oh yea, one question that's been on my mind for a long time, how is the difficulty scaled in this game? I really hope they didn't use FO3's scaler where everything became a bullet sponge.

You realize it was the same in Fallout 1 and 2, right? Despite retarded AI, it made you care about them a lot more since they weren't just invulnerable bullet sponges.
Either you cared about them deeply or you absolutely hated them (read: Ian) for always getting themselves into a position where you were in-between the malice of their SMGs and your enemy, ending up with your limbs getting blown off. Every. Single. Time.

Ah, memories. Fuck Ian, by the way.

It's not the same at all.

If Gothic 4's Gothic mode had forced me to eat and drink I never would have enabled it.

I was so insistent that people should play on the Gothic level of difficulty because playing on any other level of difficulty made the actual combat so easy that you didn't even have to worry about leveling up your character, and hence Gothic 4 ceased to be an RPG.

In New Vegas, on the other hand, combat remains unaffected. New Vegas, whether you play on Hardcore or not, is still going to be difficult and you're still going to have to work at leveling. New Vegas, in normal mode, will still be an RPG.

Case in point, playing on normal mode last night I was killed by a rad scorpion within five minutes of starting.

There's a world of difference between Gothic 4's Gothic difficulty setting, and New Vegas's Hardcore mode.

Yeah, that Bark Scorpion in town is a rascal. Don't let it touch you. I had to use two stimpacks to survive the encounter so I re-loaded a save.

It's not the same at all.

If Gothic 4's Gothic mode had forced me to eat and drink I never would have enabled it.

I was so insistent that people should play on the Gothic level of difficulty because playing on any other level of difficulty made the actual combat so easy that you didn't even have to worry about leveling up your character, and hence Gothic 4 ceased to be an RPG.

In New Vegas, on the other hand, combat remains unaffected. New Vegas, whether you play on Hardcore or not, is still going to be difficult and you're still going to have to work at leveling. New Vegas, in normal mode, will still be an RPG.

Case in point, playing on normal mode last night I was killed by a rad scorpion within five minutes of starting.

There's a world of difference between Gothic 4's Gothic difficulty setting, and New Vegas's Hardcore mode.

Yes, hardcore mode isn't about enemy difficulty. Bit it IS more about role play than anything else.

Skills that you level up is just a small portion of an RPG setting where you start small and end up great. Skills aren't everything. RPG means "role play" and not "skill play". But anyways, back to Fallout before we debate the definition of RPG...

Either you cared about them deeply or you absolutely hated them (read: Ian) for always getting themselves into a position where you were in-between the malice of their SMGs and your enemy, ending up with your limbs getting blown off. Every. Single. Time.

Ah, memories. Fuck Ian, by the way.

Hahaha, yea, fuck Ian.

But I was thinking more along the lines of Dogmeat, who, no matter how many times I tried, would never survive the military base :(

Well yeah, the enemies in New Vegas don't scale to your level. Again, like in Fallout 1 or 2.

The problem with these type of games is there comes a critical point where you obtain some kind of weapon or armor that is vastly overpowered (or in the case of Fallout 3, stimpacks EVERYWHERE) and the rest of the game becomes trivial. Hardcore mode at least makes it so combat isn't the only risk you have to take.

Yes, hardcore mode isn't about enemy difficulty. Bit it IS more about role play than anything else.

Skills that you level up is just a small portion of an RPG setting where you start small and end up great. Skills aren't everything. RPG means "role play" and not "skill play". But anyways, back to Fallout before we debate the definition of RPG...

I agree with everything you've written, but I was trying to explain why, for me, Arcania's Gothic difficulty level was necessary, and why New Vegas' Hardcore mode was not.

Gothic 4, even on the Hard difficulty setting, can be played in almost any fashion, because your character is always strong - the RPG elements don't really matter that much. If you play on the Gothic setting, however, you'll feel your character growing stronger all the time, and hence it feels like an RPG. You really have to watch how you level up your character.

With Fallout New Vegas that just is not so.

New Vegas, whether you play in Hardcore or normal, still feels like an RPG. In normal mode, I'm still going to feel my character changing. The level ups will still be wonderful.

Also, there's something I noticed that's related to this very issue. One of the developers claimed ('boasted' is the word I should probably be using here) that a tester died within 60 seconds of playing on Hardcore mode. Okay, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the tester was killed by that Mother rad-scorpion thing on the edge of town. I've been killed by that thing three times now.

But here's the thing.

That rad-scorpion is going to be equally as challenging in normal mode as it is in Hardcore. There's no difference combat-wise between the two.

In my opinion, the developer was trying to 'sell' Hardcore mode with a false boast. He wasn't exactly lying, but he wasn't exactly being truthful either. He could've said that a tester was killed within 60 seconds of playing on Hardcore mode, and added that the same result would've occurred had the tester been playing on normal.

Kind of deceitful that he left that out, actually.

Anyhow, both modes are in there. And yeah, I will try both out. I haven't even started this game and already I'm being weighted down with decisions to make. I love it.

The problem with these type of games is there comes a critical point where you obtain some kind of weapon or armor that is vastly overpowered (or in the case of Fallout 3, stimpacks EVERYWHERE) and the rest of the game becomes trivial. Hardcore mode at least makes it so combat isn't the only risk you have to take.

It's true that Hardcore mode seems to make your entire journey a lot more meaningful - the problem is with my own personal way of playing third person RPGs.

I like to pretend that I'm a character in another world. Hence, I kind of just walk around, and take things very, very slowly.

If I have to constantly search for water and food, then I can't go at my own pace. I kind of have to hurry things up, because I'm in survival mode. Maybe that's not how it works. Maybe I just need to shut up and try this out. All I'm saying is that if it does work like that, then for me it defeats the purpose.

Maybe if I play a second time I'll try Hardcore mode?

I just don't want to ruin this by making it not fun to play.

@Wabe

heheh, sounds like you'll be weighed down with decisions the whole game as it sounds from the reviews. Decisions on who to help and who to shaft. I'm still deciding my build so that I don't have to bother with it when I actually play.

What you said makes sense. Though I will have this insatiable itch to tease you in other 'RPG discussion' threads you if you can't hack it with Hardcore mode ;)

It's true that Hardcore mode seems to make your entire journey a lot more meaningful - the problem is with my own personal way of playing third person RPGs.

I like to pretend that I'm a character in another world. Hence, I kind of just walk around, and take things very, very slowly.

If I have to constantly search for water and food, then I can't go at my own pace. I kind of have to hurry things up, because I'm in survival mode. Maybe that's not how it works. Maybe I just need to shut up and try this out. All I'm saying is that if it does work like that, then for me it defeats the purpose.

Maybe if I play a second time I'll try Hardcore mode?

I just don't want to ruin this by making it not fun to play.

I totally understand that. And I HATE FEELING RUSHED!!!!! But after playing the FWE FO3 mod, I found it really isn't bothersome. If the experience for New Vegas is the same as FWE it won't be a big deal. And if things do get rushed, I'll probably mod the speed......

actually, I'll probably just console code the timescale to a slower value. Then I can play a couple realtime hours before my hunger is really hurting me.

Last edited:
What you said makes sense. Though I will have this insatiable itch to tease you in other 'RPG discussion' threads you if you can't hack it with Hardcore mode ;)

Me, too. That's basically what I was doing here. ;)

^ heheh

I forgot to mention in FWE, walking hardly consumed 'sleep', 'food', and 'water' while combat consumed those variables faster.

Is it still really useful to dump a bunch of points into intelligence from the very beginning to get more skillpoints at each level up?

I thought this was pretty funny, not sure if it was done on purpose or not.

ScreenShot0.jpg

I was wondering if that encounter had to do with the selection of the Wild Wasteland perk. I saw a puzzled looking face with question marks and a weird sound played when I first approached it. Did you select that perk?

Also, does anyone have a better idea than me about karma in this game? Isn't it supposed to have more tangible consequences? For example, I am rifling through an un-occupied house in Good Springs but all the items are red like I'd be stealing from someone. Nobody is there but each item I take gives a message saying I've lost karma. Would I get attacked by the townsfolk if I went far enough?

Had some desktop issues last night so I had to bail. I have today off (Yay comp day) so I get to play some when my daughter naps.

So far I like it. They have made some changes but the biggest one I am eager is reloading. Weapon mods, cooking is also +1. I find this game I am sneaking ALOT more than I have in any other Fallout I have played. Would be kind of cool to have a print reference card of all the crap you can make/modify so I dont have to try and remember the list.

Anyone know if there is a place to store items, like your house in Megaton in F3?

I just received an e-mail from a guy whose tastes in gaming coincides with my own, and he referred to Hardcore mode as Annoying Mode.

Said that you constantly have to drink water, and that you can't heal your wounds. So did it fundamentally alter the way he had to play the game? Yeah, he said he had to search for water a lot, and that battles were a matter of waiting for your wounds to heal before you could engage. He built his character around a survival build, meaning that switching off the Hardcore mode would leave him with a gimped character. He's going to start over again.

Precisely what I feared.

Is it still really useful to dump a bunch of points into intelligence from the very beginning to get more skillpoints at each level up?

I was wondering about that as well. It seems to be exactly like Fallout 3. I can see why some people are complaining abut this game feeling more like DLC. I mean, it's not. But I can sort of see where they're coming from.

Has anyone gotten fpslimiter to work with this game? I just can't deal with that "stutter" or whatever you want to call it. I've even tried a "different" exe and it was a no go.

UPS took forever. I finally am getting into the game right now.

I see that annoying mouse acceleration is back. Here's how you get rid of it from my looking around:

File Location: My Documents\My Games\FalloutNV

adding the following lines to FalloutPrefs.ini.

Set the file to Read-Only afterward to prevent it from being overwritten.

fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0
fForegroundMouseMult=0

YOU MUST SET THE FILE AS READ-ONLY AFTER THE EDIT!!!!
if you don't steam will erase your changes once you load the game.

forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17826766&postcount=16

I see that annoying mouse acceleration is back. Here's how you get rid of it from my looking around:

Awesome thanks for the post. I was going to look for a fix later.

I just received an e-mail from a guy whose tastes in gaming coincides with my own, and he referred to Hardcore mode as Annoying Mode.

Said that you constantly have to drink water, and that you can't heal your wounds. So did it fundamentally alter the way he had to play the game? Yeah, he said he had to search for water a lot, and that battles were a matter of waiting for your wounds to heal before you could engage. He built his character around a survival build, meaning that switching off the Hardcore mode would leave him with a gimped character. He's going to start over again.

Precisely what I feared.

You cannot heal your wounds in hardcore mode? Or that stimpacks are delayed effect instead of instant? Big difference. Something's not sounding right.

I was wondering if that encounter had to do with the selection of the Wild Wasteland perk. I saw a puzzled looking face with question marks and a weird sound played when I first approached it. Did you select that perk?

yeah i did choose the wild wasteland perk, i was also wondering if that had to do with it.

Blech. Head cold and early work are forcing me to stop tinkering for the night. While I'm asleep and at work, does anyone who has made it a decent way into the game have suggestions on what stats to begin with? I prefer fighting skills but I'm curious how a more diplomatic character would play. Is melee viable?

I tried this fix, and it keeps reverting, I've made sure read-only is checked, but that reverts also every time I launch the game.

Is it just me, or is the voice acting worse than what we had in FO3?

Blech. Head cold and early work are forcing me to stop tinkering for the night. While I'm asleep and at work, does anyone who has made it a decent way into the game have suggestions on what stats to begin with? I prefer fighting skills but I'm curious how a more diplomatic character would play. Is melee viable?

I just started playing this morning, I don't have much hours into it yet, but I will say to get your speech up to 25, it'll help out in the beginning. I am struggling cause I don't got it at 25.

Use salemen magazines to temporarily raise barter and speech skills, there's quite a few magazines laying around to boost a whole range of skills like lockpick, explosives, etc.

I learned everything I need to know about this game when I died from a scorpion sting. But the way the venom drained my health wasn't the teaching moment.

No, that was when, frustrated I'd been sent back to the start of the tutorial, I decided to unload my 9mm pistol into the woman's head. After half a dozen shots she realized I was attacking her and started shooting back. Halfway through the shootout, she handed me a hunting rifle.

If you do something the developers didn't consider, don't expect the game to handle it well.

I tried this fix, and it keeps reverting, I've made sure read-only is checked, but that reverts also every time I launch the game.

You're doing something wrong. Mine hasn't reverted yet.

Back