The Elder Scrolls Online

Maybe fix your color settings or get off the 1989 monitor. The game has a ton of color and varied environments. The environmental effects are better than any game I've played. The combat system is pretty damn deep can't think of any MMO I've played that rivals it. As far as une gaged game play personal preference so not going to argue with you there. I enjoy it. PvE is great. I enjoy the relative difficulty and pace of it. Normally there are multiple maxed level characters after 3 days but think the highest I've seen was 41. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Well my brother bought it and we played it together last night and today and it hasn't changed my mind at all.

I really wish it had more "color". I hate the brown on brown on brown scheme that fills 90 percent of the game. Gameplay is not very engaging , doesn't feel like a very deep combat system.

I have no idea how the end game is but I barely felt the will to go through it long enough to find out. I still can't believe its $15 , it feels like it should have no sub at all. I think not having a sub would have given it a greater chance.

Overall Its a pass for me. I wish the original ES developers worked on it as well , It would have turned out better.

wtf are you talking about the game has nothing but colors. and the combat system is not as simple as you think it is.

sure the sub fee just isnt tainting your view.

Just a heads up, so you don't make the same mistake I did.

They extended early access/head start 2 days (until the 6th).

Naturally, you would think great! So my 30 days of play time doesn't start until then!

Wrong, if you put in your retail key (Which most people have gotten) it will start your 30 days right away and bill you 30 days from then.

So wait until the 6th and put it in when you have too and enjoy two extra days.

Wrong, if you put in your retail key (Which most people have gotten) it will start your 30 days right away and bill you 30 days from then.

So when you make an account they want your credit card right away? Jesus.

Maybe fix your color settings or get off the 1989 monitor. The game has a ton of color and varied environments. The environmental effects are better than any game I've played. The combat system is pretty damn deep can't think of any MMO I've played that rivals it. As far as une gaged game play personal preference so not going to argue with you there. I enjoy it. PvE is great. I enjoy the relative difficulty and pace of it. Normally there are multiple maxed level characters after 3 days but think the highest I've seen was 41. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

wtf are you talking about the game has nothing but colors. and the combat system is not as simple as you think it is.

Agreed. Amazing game.

How so? I see some consistent gripes

There is definitely some stuff that needs to be worked on; what MMO doesn't when it's first released?

Obviously, the game isn't for everyone. But come on, complaining they ask for your CC right off the bat when every other MMO does the same exact thing is just looking for excuses to derail the game.

How so? I see some consistent gripes

I have yet to see many "legitmate" outside of the sub fee. If you don't like the genre or you feel the game is too slow or perhaps too fast I don't have a problem with those types of "gripes" and are legitmate to that individual. Complaints about lore, architecture, not being able to build a house or collect books are trivial because that is stuff that can be added later. Complaints about some of the other stuff just devolves into nitpicking. A lot of the complaints just seem based on hear say and not actual time spent in the game.

Do I think the game is a triumphant success? No; however, it isn't deserving of a lot of the complaints it is getting. The game isn't some muddied brown hued mess. There is a very detailed and colorful palette that does an excellent job of setting the atmosphere to match the various zones and ethnicities of the denizens that habitat that area. Textures are weak upclose, think unmodded skyrim, but the engine does look outstanding especially when you consider we had a full siege with about 200 people involved and I experienced no stuttering, crashes, or slowdowns. Combat was fluid and dynamic, siege engines operated normally, and there was a noticeable ebb and flow throughout the night as people left or joined the siege. Most fun in pvp I've had since Shadowbane.

Combat is far from mundane. It is more on part with Age of Conan and FI XI. Your moves can be chained with other players to add dps, CC, healing, etc...If you're paying attention that is.Your own success hinges on finding various synergies between your skills, traits, and weapon lines. I guess combat can be unengaging if all you do is auto attack but that is not representative of actual gameplay. Right now on my DK I like to open with archery:poison then snare then switch back to 2 hand charge, flame dot, uppercut (which stuns and knocks back), then charge, then execute. It is a great combo which works well in both pve and pvp.

Gameplay is very reminiscent of Skyrim. If you've played Skyrim then you'll fill right at home in ESO. Animations, audio, visuals, and lore continue what you found in Skyrim. When you go to Daggerfall or other areas from previous games you do feel like they did it right. I have no problem with the geography or locales as it makes me feel like part of the world, very similar to my reaction when I first stepped foot in Taren Mill or Ogrimmar back when Wow first released. The lore doesn't bother me as much as an ES purist. They've done an excellent job blending the story in and tying some of it to previous plots in the other games in the series. Voice acting is amazing and the variation of dialects, nuances, and tones all reflect a lot of work on the parts of the actors and audio technicians.

The most consistent theme and gripe that bears merit is that regarding the subscription fee. I don't think any MMO deserves a subscription fee based on the success of the previous generation of mmos. While ESO is fun and the pace of leveling and the depth of pvp should provide more than a few months of enjoyment I do not think that ESO offers anything that sets them apart from the other series in the genre that warrants a monthly fee. I do not mind paying it as I spend more than that on World of Tanks or at lunch but I can understand the complaint others have in regards to the subscription fee model.

I understand that others are going to have different views but complaints suggesting the world is too brown or muddied is ludicrous. Complaints suggesting combat isn't engaging I would also find incredulous as I honestly can't think of another mmo that is as engaging combat wise as ESO.

That at least is my take on the game after being involved with it for almost a year now.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say that as someone who enjoys PvE and exploration games, I've been enjoying ESO the past week.

Combat is far from mundane. It is more on part with Age of Conan and FI XI. Your moves can be chained with other players to add dps, CC, healing, etc...If you're paying attention that is.Your own success hinges on finding various synergies between your skills, traits, and weapon lines. I guess combat can be unengaging if all you do is auto attack but that is not representative of actual gameplay. Right now on my DK I like to open with archery:poison then snare then switch back to 2 hand charge, flame dot, uppercut (which stuns and knocks back), then charge, then execute. It is a great combo which works well in both pve and pvp.

Climber I agree with a lot of what you said here, but I have to somewhat disagree with the above section.

Combat is definitely mundane, until you get to about level 8 and have a full skill bar. This highlights the biggest issue with the game -- it takes a while to get the game's "hooks"; however, the developers have done a good job from beta to release changing the beginning experience for the better (IMO).

Once you have a full skill bar, and then later weapon swap (level 15), combat definitely gets pretty good. Is it AOC? No. AOC melee combat is sheer perfection. This combat has its flaws -- mainly stemming from the fact that this is a "deck building" game, like TSW, and must have combat resource mechanics that are consistent across all abilities. I think ESO does a better job of making combat more fun to execute than TSW, but I also think TSW's deck building is far more in-depth due to how passives from one weapon can affect attacks from a completely different tree -- this really isn't happening in ESO.

TLDR: ESO is like a fine wine, it takes time to see it for its merits. I know I hated the game in beta when it was a chore to get past level 5. Though, as you continue with the game, the world opens up, the combat opens up, and the PvP is spectacular! There is a lot to like about ESO if you can give it its due.

There are few MMO's on consoles. Thus the console crowd is going to be willing to pony up $15 a month for a long time. The probability of the console having a sub fee and the PC version not having a fee is zero. Get used to paying the $15 / month for this game.

What's your name in game, Climber?
Martial Lightborn

Climber I agree with a lot of what you said here, but I have to somewhat disagree with the above section.

Combat is definitely mundane, until you get to about level 8 and have a full skill bar. This highlights the biggest issue with the game -- it takes a while to get the game's "hooks"; however, the developers have done a good job from beta to release changing the beginning experience for the better (IMO).

Once you have a full skill bar, and then later weapon swap (level 15), combat definitely gets pretty good. Is it AOC? No. AOC melee combat is sheer perfection. This combat has its flaws -- mainly stemming from the fact that this is a "deck building" game, like TSW, and must have combat resource mechanics that are consistent across all abilities. I think ESO does a better job of making combat more fun to execute than TSW, but I also think TSW's deck building is far more in-depth due to how passives from one weapon can affect attacks from a completely different tree -- this really isn't happening in ESO.

TLDR: ESO is like a fine wine, it takes time to see it for its merits. I know I hated the game in beta when it was a chore to get past level 5. Though, as you continue with the game, the world opens up, the combat opens up, and the PvP is spectacular! There is a lot to like about ESO if you can give it its due.

Good comparison with TSW and I agree with your criticism. I should have prefaced that the game really starts to open up around lvl 10 because then it stops being a tutorial and you start seeing your first dark anchors and group content. You can head to cyrodil and partake in massive 3 way combat and you start seeing the bigger picture and how skills start interfacing with each other.

The game is a brown color scheme .. over and over again. Its annoying to see it constantly in games.

The combat system is pretty simple. And PVP is extremely boring from the few times I actually watched my friend try it.

Yes the sub fee has tainted my viewpoint. But I played WoW for over 10 years so that's 10 years of $14.99 so obviously it doesn't bother me enough to not play an MMO with a sub fee. Also I played SW:TOR when it released.. with a sub fee.

I don't think ESO provides enough to make up for its requirement of a monthly sub. There is nothing I've seen so far in beta and in retail that makes it "special" enough to call for a sub. Its a money grab. As many have said like many MMO's before it .. its going to become F2P to survive.

Maybe when it does and the game has been fleshed out with content and better PVP I'll give it another try but considering I played it over and over in beta and now watched it for some 20 hours in release form.. I see nothing that's any different from any other cookie cutter MMO.

So my friends made chars in the Ebonheart alliance and since I didn't pre-order the game which means I don't have the explorers pack. I wanted to play a Nightblade but being locked out from playing Khajit and Bosmer on Ebonheart seems crippling. Is there any point in being a Dunmer Nightblade if you're always going to be 3 stealth levels lower and do 9% less damage than your Kahjit/Bosmer counterparts?

So my friends made chars in the Ebonheart alliance and since I didn't pre-order the game which means I don't have the explorers pack. I wanted to play a Nightblade but being locked out from playing Khajit and Bosmer on Ebonheart seems crippling. Is there any point in being a Dunmer Nightblade if you're always going to be 3 stealth levels lower and do 9% less damage than your Kahjit/Bosmer counterparts?

Lol at these pre order bonuses in a sub based mmo

Not really. Racials are largely minor at end game. It really depends on what style of Nightblade you want to play. Dummer get resists to the most prolific damage in the game, bonuses to dual wield, and make the best vampires. If you prefer a caster based Nightblade build then again dunmer come out on top over the other two.

If you're going to focus purely on pvp it still doesn't really matter unless you're truly trying to min max a certain build. If you're going bow then you may want to check out the dragon knight. Templars are also pretty op when it comes to bow builds as well.

The nice thing about the game is there is really no one size fits all class and Racials don't make any one race or class the superior choice.

Simple Answer: No, you are not gimped.

Long Answer:

Missing out on those races may seem like it's gimping you, but it is actually forcing you to take the best Nightblade race in the game -- the Argonians! Here's why:

Racials

1. Amphibious -- Increases swim speed by 50% and the effectiveness of potions by 5/10/15%. Being able to escape from water is handy, and this gives you that option, but the real big benefit of this skill is the buff to potions. Nightblades have a passive ability in the Siphoning line called "Catalyst" which buss you potions an additional 10/20%, for a grand total of 35% just from passives. That's a great bonus when potions can heal your health/stamina/magicka while also buffing your damage.

2. Argonian Resistance -- Increases maximum health by 1/2/3% and resistance to poison and disease by 8/15/23%. This is useful in PvP because most bow users and Nightblades will do a large chunk of their damage through Poison attacks. Also, this is useful if you want to tank in group dungeons. The extra health is also a nice boost albeit small.

3. Quick To Mend -- Increases healing received by 2/4/6%. This is why you play as an Argonian Nightblade. Almost all your survivability comes from leeching health as you attack. This boost the amount leached by 6%. Nightblades can also boost their healing received through the Siphoning line by taking the passive ability "Soul Siphoner" by 8/15%. This gives you a total boost of 21% healing received to your own siphoning abilities, as well as any heals that other players are throwing around. This is useful in all situations and for all roles.

On top of all that, you get to be a lizard. That is fucking worth it in and of itself.

Simple Answer: No, you are not gimped.

Long Answer:

Missing out on those races may seem like it's gimping you, but it is actually forcing you to take the best Nightblade race in the game -- the Argonians! Here's why:

Racials

1. Amphibious -- Increases swim speed by 50% and the effectiveness of potions by 5/10/15%. Being able to escape from water is handy, and this gives you that option, but the real big benefit of this skill is the buff to potions. Nightblades have a passive ability in the Siphoning line called "Catalyst" which buss you potions an additional 10/20%, for a grand total of 35% just from passives. That's a great bonus when potions can heal your health/stamina/magicka while also buffing your damage.

2. Argonian Resistance -- Increases maximum health by 1/2/3% and resistance to poison and disease by 8/15/23%. This is useful in PvP because most bow users and Nightblades will do a large chunk of their damage through Poison attacks. Also, this is useful if you want to tank in group dungeons. The extra health is also a nice boost albeit small.

3. Quick To Mend -- Increases healing received by 2/4/6%. This is why you play as an Argonian Nightblade. Almost all your survivability comes from leeching health as you attack. This boost the amount leached by 6%. Nightblades can also boost their healing received through the Siphoning line by taking the passive ability "Soul Siphoner" by 8/15%. This gives you a total boost of 21% healing received to your own siphoning abilities, as well as any heals that other players are throwing around. This is useful in all situations and for all roles.

On top of all that, you get to be a lizard. That is fucking worth it in and of itself.

Okay, I feel better now. Lizard boy it is.

Just started playing last night. send me a message in game @robble

Some uproar over Zenimax's business practice with preauthorizing/precharging subscription fee for month 2 at the beginning of the free month included with the game purchase, and not letting people play if they dont provide that recurring form of payment.

http://kotaku.com/players-upset-over-the-elder-scrolls-onlines-subscript-1559139938

It sounds like zenimax wants to get everyone on the recurring billing hook now when the game is fresh and everyone's eager, rather than after the free month when a percentage of people will quit because the game is not for them.

Last edited:
Umm, like virtually ALL mmo's since Uo/EQ/AC has been like this, you do not play until you put in your payment info, that is nothing new and it seems so many people are making a huge fuss over this.

Umm, like virtually ALL mmo's since Uo/EQ/AC has been like this, you do not play until you put in your payment info, that is nothing new and it seems so many people are making a huge fuss over this.
The difference here: Zenimax Online is charging the $14.99 before the 30 day trial period is over.

In other MMOs that had a free a trial-- FFXI, FFXIV, TERA (before it went F2P), WoW, and SWToR (before it went F2P)-- that I've played do not charge the monthly fee until the free trial is over. In some MMOs, if the free trial is 7 days, they won't charge until the end of the month or the first of the following month.

Here, Zenimax is immediately charging the $14.99 a month fee before the 30 day free trial period is over.

The difference here: Zenimax Online is charging the $14.99 before the 30 day trial period is over.

In other MMOs that had a free a trial-- FFXI, FFXIV, TERA (before it went F2P), WoW, and SWToR (before it went F2P)-- that I've played do not charge the monthly fee until the free trial is over. In some MMOs, if the free trial is 7 days, they won't charge until the end of the month or the first of the following month.

Here, Zenimax is immediately charging the $14.99 a month fee before the 30 day free trial period is over.

If true...complete bullshit.

So I bought the game (physical copy from Amazon) and have the beta as well. Should I reinstall from the DVD or download the game client or another option?

thanks

So I bought the game (physical copy from Amazon) and have the beta as well. Should I reinstall from the DVD or download the game client or another option?

thanks

According to an e-mail I got from Zenimax Online is that if I was in the beta, I just needed to run the update, given that I put the activation code in my account online at the Elder Scrolls website. I wouldn't have to reinstall the game or run it from the DVD.

thanks

Just update the beta client, no need to reinstall or anything.

Meh, if you're poor, don't play it.

Meh, if you're poor, don't play it.

That's got nothing to do with being poor. That's a shitty way to do business. That could leave a lot of people with $60 paperweights until they transfer money into their internet purchasing account. I could see some college students having issues with their money suddenly missing from their account. My bank won't take the money out of my account for a hold. At the same time I don't have access to those funds until the hold clears.

Like I said it's a shitty way to do business.

If true...complete bullshit.

Its not true. You can look at your account page and see when you're being billed. It plainly states may 6th or whenever is date of first billing.

The hard on some people have for trashing this game is mindboggling. The game is just average but yet I feel like I have to white knight the game because of all the fud that is being spread.

Its not true. You can look at your account page and see when you're being billed. It plainly states may 6th or whenever is date of first billing.

The hard on some people have for trashing this game is mindboggling. The game is just average but yet I feel like I have to white knight the game because of all the fud that is being spread.

It didn't sound right. I didn't see outrage on reddit either. Glad it isn't.

Guess I misunderstood; it seems some are being blocked if they have insufficient funds in there account; however, there isn't a hold on my card nor is it even showing on my statement yet. Seems weird they would do this for some and not others. Perhaps something with the banks debit cards?

Ya after further research it is a very small minority affected by certain banks.

Last edited:
Guess I misunderstood; it seems some are being blocked if they have insufficient funds in there account; however, there isn't a hold on my card nor is it even showing on my statement yet. Seems weird they would do this for some and not others. Perhaps something with the banks debit cards?

Ya after further research it is a very small minority affected by certain banks.

Thought I remember something similar with SW:ToR's launch as well. Weird stuff man

Thought I remember something similar with SW:ToR's launch as well. Weird stuff man

Ya now that you mention it I vaguely remember similar complaints either with rift or sw:tor. Weird how it varies between financial institutions.

Back