The Elder Scrolls Online

Hey GoldenTiger, was it you that talked about how great The Secret World was? or am I thinking of someone else?

At this point I am surprised anyone is even responding to anything GT says, go through his posting history and you will see that as soon as he latches onto something it doesn't matter how wrong he is, that product is still the greatest product on earth.

Secret World is great. Not sure what this has to do with anything.

Secret World is great. Not sure what this has to do with anything.

Ah yes, so great it went F2P:rolleyes: The similarities between TSW and this thread are very interesting.

The fact that basically one poster in this thread is white knighting the game, while everyone else is going "meh," says more then enough about how bad the game is going to be. It is even worse considering the "white knight" keeps ignoring that ESO basically rapes TES with what they have done to the gameplay.

ESO is a cash grab on the part of the developer and nothing more. The fact that Bethesda isn't developing it should be the only red flag needed to know this isn't a real TES game.

Ah yes, so great it went F2P:rolleyes: The similarities between TSW and this thread are very interesting.

The fact that basically one poster in this thread is white knighting the game, while everyone else is going "meh," says more then enough about how bad the game is going to be. It is even worse considering the "white knight" keeps ignoring that ESO basically rapes TES with what they have done to the gameplay.

ESO is a cash grab on the part of the developer and nothing more. The fact that Bethesda isn't developing it should be the only red flag needed to know this isn't a real TES game.

Don't mean to shit on your hate parade but the "one" guy has been involved with beta since day 1. The "others" aren't playing beta and only commenting on what they think is going on. I'll take both with a grain of salt but I'll trust the guy who has actually played the game moreso than those who have not.

Guess its all cool and shit to hate on games now before they're released, you guys get some internet win points for being right about games failing or something I'm unaware of?

Hate to tell you but every game is a cash grab and nothing more.

Don't mean to shit on your hate parade but the "one" guy has been involved with beta since day 1. The "others" aren't playing beta and only commenting on what they think is going on. I'll take both with a grain of salt but I'll trust the guy who has actually played the game moreso than those who have not.

Guess its all cool and shit to hate on games now before they're released, you guys get some internet win points for being right about games failing or something I'm unaware of?

Ah yes, so everyone else who has played the beta and pointed out how it is just a generic MMO should be ignored but, GT saying "I cant say why your wrong since I am in the beta, but this game is the best" should be listened to... got it.

Oh, and not to shit on your ignorance, but every game is not a cash grab, developing a generic MMO and slapping a well known name on it is.

Edit: Considering you think TSW is a a great game even though it pretty much bombed, you probably dont want to be endorsing ESO, and I am pretty fucking sure GoldenTiger also stated TSW was a going to be a great MMO...

I have hands on time with the beta. I break the NDA and talk about games on [H] because i've been coming here since 98-99ish? This site has been great to me, and the members top notch. I don't think the game is trash. I just don't think it can command the premium in price that it is attempting. In my opinion the game so far has been average other than world design. The premium to get on board this game is my real complaint with TESO. In my opinion the MMO market has changed and needs a blockbuster again to command the monthly fees that use to be the norm.

And GT you were right about Rift, slipped my mind. It was fairly solid at launch.

Ah yes, so everyone else who has played the beta and pointed out how it is just a generic MMO should be ignored but, GT saying "I cant say why your wrong since I am in the beta, but this game is the best" should be listened to... got it.

No where did I ever say the others should be ignored, but awesome strawman; however, my experience in the beta has been closer to that of GT, not the others which is why I would listen to him over the others. The other arguments are based off of: either very little play time, parroting incorrect information, or focusing on a minor deficiency and overblowing it. None of that is to say they are wrong, the game very well may fail and I think it will but not because of their arguments.

Edit: Considering you think TSW is a a great game even though it pretty much bombed, you probably dont want to be endorsing ESO, and I am pretty fucking sure GoldenTiger also stated TSW was a going to be a great MMO...

Different strokes for different folks. Variety is the spice of life so on occasion I'm going to enjoy a game someone else likes. So if you didn't like TSW no worries, I did and I think TSW is a great game, it wasn't a generic MMO and tried a lot of stuff differently and it succeeded in several areas and failed in others. That is the way most MMOs go nowadays. TSW will help evolve the genre into something better because it did have a lot of great ideas and concepts and those will make it into other games. The story telling and atmosphere were top notch and the combat was decent but it suffered from mediocrity. What it did well wasn't enough to set it apart from a genre that honestly has too many mediocre or just plain average titles. Other genres like FPS or ARPGs can get away with just being average because of their length, MMOs are wholly different beasts. TSW's major failing was just that, not because it was bad, but because it was just average. It was good but wasn't great. It however had another major failing, it wasn't a generic MMO. Generic MMO's are what sell very few non generic MMOs succeed. The lack of "levels" and gear really killed it for traditional MMO players while failing to really do enough to keep new players coming in. It stayed healthy for a long time all things considering.

... I don't think the game is trash. I just don't think it can command the premium in price that it is attempting.

I agree, the market has changed and for an MMO to consider charging a monthly fee it has to be something very special and ESO isn't very special. It is good, but nothing more.

In my opinion the game so far has been average other than world design. The premium to get on board this game is my real complaint with TESO. In my opinion the MMO market has changed and needs a blockbuster again to command the monthly fees that use to be the norm.

Again, I agree with ESO just being average. It has taken several great concepts and refined them but nothing that makes it stand out. I honestly don't think there will ever be another WoW. Blizzard caught lightning in a bottle with Warcraft and nothing short of making the worlds of either Starcraft or Diablo into a perfect reincarnation of the RTS and ARPG worlds of old nothing else will have a chance of achieving that level of success again.

Even though I might not have high expectations for ESO I too enjoyed TSW for what it was, a good adventure'ish like horror themed mmo, yes the filler quests are boring as is the combat, but the adventure style quests, main characters, and horror elements I thought helped it stand out and I certainly got my money's worth out of it.

Even though I might not have high expectations for ESO I too enjoyed TSW for what it was, a good adventure'ish like horror themed mmo, yes the filler quests are boring as is the combat, but the adventure style quests, main characters, and horror elements I thought helped it stand out and I certainly got my money's worth out of it.

I agree stiler, but be careful about saying you liked TSW darkstarcow may start insulting you.

TSW was a very fun game if you took the time to solve puzzles and play it correctly. The problem is a thing called Youtube where you just watch the solving of a puzzle. Then it's monkey see; monkey do. Also, it didn't appeal to the CoD generation. I don't think many from that generation have the time or patience to solve a puzzle. If they don't get the answer soon, they will quit your game and move onto another. Ritalin is the best babysitter generation?

What TSW failed at was combat. It used the same tired ass combat that almost every MMO uses. Point, click, watch animation. Target new foe. Point, click, watch animation. It was innovative the first few MMOs that used it. Then we figured out that this is really boring, but every MMO wants to reuse it like it's the Holy Grail. If TSW had launched with an action based combat system, we wouldn't be here discussing it's possible demise. Truth is that with it's 'Pay once and play forever" money making theme it has going now, it seems to be doing fine.

I loved the puzzles and was proud to say I never looked any up. I wish they were random so that way people had to solve them but I'm sure there would be a ton of backlash over that. Now I'm getting the itch to log back into TSW and see what they've added in the last year.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...st-disaster-of-2014-the-elder-scrolls-online/
But I have a bad feeling about one upcoming title, one that’s never really made sense to me from the start: The Elder Scrolls Online.

Yesterday, Kotaku’s Superannuation took to Twitter to say that he’d just heard The Elder Scrolls Online’s budget was $200M.

The tweet was hastily deleted, and there’s no way to confirm if it’s true, as Bethesda and ZeniMax certainly won’t admit to it, but even if the budget was half that, I think TESO is headed for a rocky debut.

teso4vs94.png

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743992

I really hope that budget number isn't true. Sadly I think it is the case when I look at the decision to buck the industry trend and require $60 purchase fee and then a monthly sub.

"May or may not" have played the beta, and it "may or may not have" been any thing special; I "may or may not" have been severely disappointed :(

If its so bad, anyway they could release it as another single player game?

Emails are going out now for this weekends test.

yea, i blew off the stress test last time, but i'll play for 3 days this weekend...extremely low expectations, hope to be surprised

wildstar is not doin it for me..maybe this will

Every time I get a beta invite for something I have my computer apart FML.. Just sold my video cards and now I get a beta invite again.. Last time I sold my MB and CPU for a new setup. It's just not in the cards for me to play the beta lol

Every time I get a beta invite for something I have my computer apart FML.. Just sold my video cards and now I get a beta invite again.. Last time I sold my MB and CPU for a new setup. It's just not in the cards for me to play the beta lol

its for the best

Just got my beta invite, going to finish building my PC tomorrow and then will try it.

Just got my invite too.
I have low expectations...just curious to see what they have done with melee combat...

So, havent played in any beta invite in a long time, this game still lame?

Just got my invite too.
I have low expectations...just curious to see what they have done with melee combat...

Is the combat completely uninteresting and bad? Is there any action component or is just more traditional skill cycling and auto-targeting?

I've heard the comment it's worse than Oblivion.

Beta wasn't worth the massive install size, that's for damn sure. Wasn't it like 15 gigs or something?

EDIT: Just kidding, it was like 30 gigs... :eek:

Is the combat completely uninteresting and bad? Is there any action component or is just more traditional skill cycling and auto-targeting?

I've heard the comment it's worse than Oblivion.

The main draw back to combat is that it has locks, you don't aim with range attacks really and your arrows/magic will "curve" and shit to hit your target so it misses the feeling of actualy aiming like you have in Oblivion/skyrim.

Just got another invite for this weekend. I look forward to seeing what kind of update they have had.

So far, the story has my interest. I love dealing with the Daedra.

If these reports are anything to go by, how could Bethesda be so incredibly dense? KOTOR was an amazing game whos legacy has been severely tainted by the giant clusterfuck that is/was TOR. Bethesda seems to be well on their way towards repeating EA's mistake with ES:O

If these reports are anything to go by, how could Bethesda be so incredibly dense? KOTOR was an amazing game whos legacy has been severely tainted by the giant clusterfuck that is/was TOR. Bethesda seems to be well on their way towards repeating EA's mistake with ES:O

It isn't Bethseda's fault.

Bethseda is owned by Zenimax. Zenimax are the ones who are forcing ESO to exist and have made up their own studio with Zenimax Online who are the ones making ESO (Not Bethseda).

Todd Howard has said in the past he has no interest in mmo's (he doesn't really like/play them) and prefers the single player game that TES is.

However it seems Zenimax didn't agree with him and took the IP (which is owned by Zenimax) and are making this mmo.

Which kind of sucks, because the majority of TES fans who "did" want a multiplayer TES did NOT want an mmo, we merely wanted a good "co op" style with a limited amount of people (like 4'ish) where you could play the normal Elder Scrols experience but with your friends out adventuring with you and it still maintaing that sense of exploration, freedom, etc that makes it fun.

Is it possible to give someone else a key? I got another invite for this weekend, but already had access for this weekend. I tried giving the key to my girlfriend (she made a new account to redeem it) but it says it's invalid. Is it because it's tied to my e-mail, or is something else going on?

If you've registered the key for previous beta tests, it won't work because they only give you one key, which is the same key in all of the subsequent emails.

Is it possible to give someone else a key? I got another invite for this weekend, but already had access for this weekend. I tried giving the key to my girlfriend (she made a new account to redeem it) but it says it's invalid. Is it because it's tied to my e-mail, or is something else going on?

Trying to give my second beta invite to a friend but its tied to my account. It wont even let me change my email address under account setting.

Personally I think this game with its poor gameplay + awful graphics is destined to go F2P within a year and servers shut down within two.

Personally I think this game with its poor gameplay + awful graphics is destined to go F2P within a year and servers shut down within two.

yea, after reading the beta forums for a few hours, I've decided not to download the game for the weekend stress test... I can tell it won't be my cup of tea

good luck to all the testers and I hope you have some fun at least..god knows this genre desperately needs a winner

Back