The Division - officially announced for PC!

Do you think they are going to optimize it anymore? Im thinking about selling my laptop for a full desktop just for this game. My laptop is a MSI GS60-2pl
i7 4710HQ (4c/8t) (45% utilization)
850m (overclocked) (100% utilization)
12gb ram (game maxxed out at 8gb ram)
256 nvme m.2 SSD
I was getting about 45 fps on 720p on lowest. Game still looked good but do you think after they do some optimization will get better FPS or not?

don't delete the closed beta. if you still have it installed you just have to download a small update for the open beta.

Is anyone else missing the beta from their Steam games list? I checked the common folder and the game is still there just not in my games list anymore. Will it come back when the open beta comes back anyone know?

Is anyone else missing the beta from their Steam games list? I checked the common folder and the game is still there just not in my games list anymore. Will it come back when the open beta comes back anyone know?

Mine was still showing in steam last night. Haven't checked today.

Glad they added more content above the closed beta, and "addressed" the cheating. I've told a few friends about the beta hoping they'll pick up the final game. It would be nice if it wasn't an unnecessary frustrationfest for them.

Full list of updates in the open beta from the closed beta.

Dark Zone

*New High End weapons available in the Dark Zone
*Refresh rate on Dark Zone chests has been greatly reduced
*Non-player enemies in the Dark Zone have been significantly increased in number
*Non-player enemies in the Dark Zone have been buffed slightly
*The Manhunt Timer now pauses instead of refreshing while in combat as a level 5 Rogue
*The Reward for surviving as a Rogue Agent has been increased to 1.5x the kill bounty
*The Health Bar for Agents in the Dark Zone now only turns red when they actually become Rogue
*A new warning icon has been added to indicate an Agent who has shot another player but has not done enough damage to go Rogue
*Dark Zone experience leveling curve has been adjusted slightly
*Disabled the option to transfer Dark Zone brackets as a Rogue (This prevents players using Bracket Transfer as a means to escape after becoming Rogue)
*Removed some ropes that allowed players to reach areas that gave them an unfair advantage

Other changes

*New Ubisoft Club Action available for participating in the Open *Beta unlocking an exclusive reward in-game
*New and improved Tutorial Video
*Tutorial video is now available to view from the Character Select Screen
*Fixed two bugs that allowed players to become invisible to other players
*Fixed an exploit with Ballistic Shield Skill that allowed players to become invincible
*Cheat Detection and Prevention additions and updates
*Fixed mismatch of stats that occurred occasionally between *Vendor Inventory and Player Inventory when item purchased
*Adjusted player movement speed while running with a grenade in hand
*Fixed a bug that sometimes caused other player’s name and health bar to not be visible in the Dark Zone
*Fixed some Weapon Mods that resulted in incorrect stat values when equipped
*Fixed some weapons that didn’t appear as Contaminated when obtained in the Dark Zone
*Fixed a bug with the Reward Claims Vendor that caused stacks of consumables to be decreased under specific circumstances
*Fixed a bug with stats display not updating when browsing Vendor Inventories
*Fixed a bug that caused continuous vibration under very specific conditions
*Fixed a very rare bug that prevented players from being able to fire or switch their weapons
*Added mission Dialogue lines in Missing Persons: Heather Lau Side Mission
*Several environment fixes to prevent falling through world issues in specific places
*Multiple stability fixes (23 unique crashes fixed)
*Server optimizations and improvements (players will receive less connection errors now)
*Multiple localization fixes and improvements
*Additional polish & bug fixes too numerous to mention!

are they going to open up the map more with the open beta or is it going to be the same as the closed beta with an additional story mission included?

are they going to open up the map more with the open beta or is it going to be the same as the closed beta with an additional story mission included?

Probably same radius as before with more stuff inside of it.

Some of these notes are quite exciting though.
Added enemy NPCs in the DZ and they're tougher too.
They've seemed to remove some camping locations in the DZ.
New weapons
Added the Tech tree to use. Now we can mess with the turrets.
And a ton more stuff.

I'm glad they were able to get as many changes in between the closed beta to now as they have, that's actually a pretty damn good list and gives me a lot of hope for Massive staying on top of this stuff after release.

Looking forward to trying out the beta on my 980Ti, I got installed the day after the closed beta ended.

Looking forward to trying out the beta on my 980Ti, I got installed the day after the closed beta ended.

didn't fair so well on my end. i played at high settings at 1440p and averaged around 60 fps, but dips into the low 40's occured fairly often. even with gsync it was pretty stuttery. could be my 2500K though, i believe this game is pretty cpu demanding.

didn't fair so well on my end. i played at high settings at 1440p and averaged around 60 fps, but dips into the low 40's occured fairly often. even with gsync it was pretty stuttery. could be my 2500K though, i believe this game is pretty cpu demanding.

My HTPC has a 2500k and GTX 670. At 1080p even low settings the CPU all the cores were hovering around 90-100% on each core. The GTX 670 would be around 95-100% as well. This was in areas where very little was going on. I played it on my main rig at on my main rig which is a 2600k and GTX 970 and that was able to handle medium settings without too many issues. I don't know if the extra threads helped but it didn't seem like the 2600k was struggling anywhere near the way 2500k was for me.

Last edited:

Nah, even with my CPU it was bad.

Game didn't play well on my rig either, and it's pretty high end. I hope they do a lot of optimizing. It looks good, but not good enough to run as bad as it does. I can play Witcher 3 with everything maxed, including Nvidia stuff, and get 70 FPS. With everything maxed on this beta, I would get 35ish. It was just a beta, so I'm hoping that all gets worked out.

I did enjoy the game a lot, once I dropped setting and got things where the game was playable. If they get it optimized I'll be picking the game up after release.

Game didn't play well on my rig either, and it's pretty high end. I hope they do a lot of optimizing. It looks good, but not good enough to run as bad as it does. I can play Witcher 3 with everything maxed, including Nvidia stuff, and get 70 FPS. With everything maxed on this beta, I would get 35ish. It was just a beta, so I'm hoping that all gets worked out.

I did enjoy the game a lot, once I dropped setting and got things where the game was playable. If they get it optimized I'll be picking the game up after release.

Well that's slightly disappointing then. I agree that the visual quality of the game when testing under max settings to see what the eye-candy was like didn't really seem to justify the performance that was found in 1080p that I was running at, but I was hitting the VRAM limit constantly so wasn't sure if the bit of headroom would alleviate some of the drops I encountered.

Oh well, here's hoping for more optimizations within the launch window.

I had major stuttering issues on my PC as well. It really felt like my CPU was struggling. Im still on 2600k, but that really should not be a problem considering the minor gains we've had out of Intel. Hopefully they can get it a bit smoother because there is no reason for it to run like it does. Better looking games don't make my PC sweat nearly as bad.

I'm probably in the minority here but the visuals and the detail and scope of the game world more than justified the performance in my opinion. There's a lot going on on-screen at any given time. Game looks fantastic in my opinion.

I'm probably in the minority here but the visuals and the detail and scope of the game world more than justified the performance in my opinion. There's a lot going on on-screen at any given time. Game looks fantastic in my opinion.

It is a nice looking game. But it's not better looking than TW3, and that game runs drastically better. The distance you can see and the detail in the distance is no better than TW3. I've seen screenshots of people on top of giant buildings, and the view is nice. There's drastically less grass, trees, and fire to render. Less water. There's really no reason this game shouldn't run at least as fast as TW3 or in the neighborhood. But I got half at best on maximum.

I think it's an optimization issue. One that will hopefully be addressed.

It is a nice looking game. But it's not better looking than TW3, and that game runs drastically better. The distance you can see and the detail in the distance is no better than TW3. I've seen screenshots of people on top of giant buildings, and the view is nice. There's drastically less grass, trees, and fire to render. Less water. There's really no reason this game shouldn't run at least as fast as TW3 or in the neighborhood. But I got half at best on maximum.

Let's compare performance of a beta vs a beta.
Anyone know how TW3 ran in beta?

I don't think I've seen a single person who's said that The Division looks better then Witcher 3...it doesn't...but it's a fantastic looking game in its own right and just because it's doesn't beat one of the reference graphics showcases shouldn't diminish the quality of the graphics...Division does have a lot of bad textures but it also has some great ones...they nailed the overall look of the city as a whole and the weather effects, day/night cycle and lighting are amazing...

Tech Analysis: The Division on PC
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-division-pc-tech-analysis

I don't think I've seen a single person who's said that The Division looks better then Witcher 3...it doesn't...but it's a fantastic looking game in its own right and just because it's doesn't beat one of the reference graphics showcases shouldn't diminish the quality of the graphics...Division does have a lot of bad textures but it also has some great ones...they nailed the overall look of the city as a whole and the weather effects, day/night cycle and lighting are amazing...

i agree. and it's pretty awesome to run around the city after a snow storm has rolled in.

Tech Analysis: The Division on PC
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-division-pc-tech-analysis

I wasn't suggesting that anyone said it looked better, or that it did look better. I was making the point that a better looking game runs twice as good, so there are definitely some issues. If a better looking game runs twice as good when the game hits retail, then they are going to have a lot of people not buy it.

So hopefully the get it optimized where it's at least playable on Extreme settings on top end computers.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone said it looked better, or that it did look better. I was making the point that a better looking game runs twice as good, so there are definitely some issues. If a better looking game runs twice as good when the game hits retail, then they are going to have a lot of people not buy it.

So hopefully the get it optimized where it's at least playable on Extreme settings on top end computers.

graphics-performance seem pretty well optimized (at least at 1080p/1440p) and the Snowdrop engine seems very scalable...frame rates might not be a constant 60 maxed out but driver optimizations and patches should improve performance in the long run...

"It's an impressive-looking game on all formats, but for PC the boosts in draw distance, shadow and reflection quality, and also the use of higher quality SMAA, are the main plus points...CPU utilization looks solid...The game appears to utilize as many threads as you can throw at it - a quad-core i7 shows even balance across all eight threads, while testing on a six-core 3930K shows a similar story across 12...

The Division's VRAM optimization scales according to your hardware, and on a 2GB card we note 1.8GB usage, rising to 3.5GB on a 4GB offering..."

I don't think I've seen a single person who's said that The Division looks better then Witcher 3...it doesn't...but it's a fantastic looking game in its own right and just because it's doesn't beat one of the reference graphics showcases shouldn't diminish the quality of the graphics...

That's not the issue...the problem that does diminish it as a whole is that it runs like garbage and still fails to look as good as several other better-performing titles.

We will have to wait until launch to see if it's gotten better, but the optimization of the beta was shit.

At 4k I was seeing 35-45 fps in the beta at max settings; about the same as what I see in Witcher 3 on Ultra. Personally I think W3 has better lighting and textures, but I thoroughly enjoyed The Division beta, so this is not an issue for me. Hopefully there will be some optimization in the game and related drivers... and hopefully PC will be able to tweak / mod 2013 E3 quality graphics back in. But if not, I'll still play the heck out of this game. Exploring NY was a good time.

the beta disappeared from my Uplay client...what happened??...I played the closed beta and afterwards had hidden it under my Games tab but when I looked today the game is no longer there...is this normal?...will it come back again before the open beta or do I need to re-download?

Mine was still showing in steam last night. Haven't checked today.

the beta disappeared from my Uplay client...what happened??...I played the closed beta and afterwards had hidden it under my Games tab but when I looked today the game is no longer there...is this normal?...will it come back again before the open beta or do I need to re-download?

it's still showing in my steam games list. either way, don't delete the closed beta game content. if you keep it installed you just have to download a small update for the open beta.

it's still showing in my steam games list. either way, don't delete the closed beta game content. if you keep it installed you just have to download a small update for the open beta.

that's the reason I didn't delete/uninstall the closed beta because I heard that it would only require a small update to play the open beta...I used the feature to 'Hide' the game from showing up in my Games Library but it's not there now

that's the reason I didn't delete/uninstall the closed beta because I heard that it would only require a small update to play the open beta...I used the feature to 'Hide' the game from showing up in my Games Library but it's not there now

it was gone from my uplay list as well, but as long as the files remain when beta 2 is re added and it tries to install in the same folder it will just do a scan an update as needed or it should.

it was gone from my uplay list as well, but as long as the files remain when beta 2 is re added and it tries to install in the same folder it will just do a scan an update as needed or it should.

did you have the game hidden in your Uplay client?...strange that the game didn't disappear from everyone's Uplay or Steam list and only some...either way like you said as long as the game files are still there then the game should update only as needed...I have a fast connection either way but just found it strange

That's strange, I was running it maxed out with my desktop and it was smooth. I didn't notice any slowdowns, but I'm on a gsync. I tried on my laptop and I think I was running it on high no problems.

That's strange, I was running it maxed out with my desktop and it was smooth. I didn't notice any slowdowns, but I'm on a gsync. I tried on my laptop and I think I was running it on high no problems.

That just shows there are problems. If your computer ran it maxed out, mine should do it easily. I also use Gsync. But it ran terrible. Maybe it has SLI problems?

It's just a beta, so hopefully they fix the issue before release. The open beta will be pretty telling.

yeah it wasn't completely smooth for me at High settings and it definitely wouldn't have been at max settings. might be the difference between your 3770K and my 2500K. were you using the nvidia driver that was released for the beta? i was on an older release.

yeah it wasn't completely smooth for me at High settings and it definitely wouldn't have been at max settings. might be the difference between your 3770K and my 2500K. were you using the nvidia driver that was released for the beta? i was on an older release.

He's claiming WAY better performance than me, and I'm running a 6700k at 4.8ghz, 2 x 980ti Classified, and the newest driver released for the game.

So there's definitely something going on if he's seeing that performance with older hardware. I couldn't even run it on "High" settings and get a respectable framerate.

Back