Titanfall was actually a great game mechanically and gameplay wise, but the tickrate was nasty low. Still sold millions.
Titanfall 2 improved that while having a highly praised singleplayer campaign, but the release was overshadowed by a certain ww1 game that was released in the same month by the same publisher.
Had Respawn decided to go with Valve they would undoubtedly have one of the most successful games released in recent years.
I don't even know why I bother.. You probably stopped playing games ages ago.

I am much more selective now, yes. I still play, but I do not pour anything like the amount of time I used to into them.

Frankly, the social element is as important to me as the gameplay. When dedicated servers stopped being a thing, it greatly decentralized many of the people I played with. Combined with the underwhelming gameplay, I've stepped away.

Slings and arrows as you will, but as I've gotten significantly older, my taste and discretion in games has changed and sharpened.

Yeah, so BF4 still had *private* servers. Ergo, BF1 was the first point of serious fail.

There is zero reason to believe EA/Dice has suddenly changed course from the half-baked, marketed-to-casuals, sorry excuse for a Battlefield games they've been putting out recently. Including those games wrapped in a Star Wars skin.

I've clearly stated if there are suddenly a lot of excellent reviews etc etc I'll give it a shot.

No need for me to waste my time on what's likely to be - if not a turd outright (debatable) - at least not for me.
BF1 had the same "private" servers as BF4, but there was some problems with admin rights. I'm not defending BF1 as I don't care for the game, but you are defending BF4 even though it's the same as BF1 when it comes to "private" servers - I simply don't get it.
The gun mechanics with the random deviation was a shit show and they made a huge mistake implementing it for BF1 and that's my biggest gripe with that game (and behemoths)

People were mostly positive with the alpha's and the open beta in BF5. Could it get better? Fuck yeah it could, but I doubt we'll ever get our own server hosting rights again.

BF1 had the same "private" servers as BF4, but there was some problems with admin rights. I'm not defending BF1 as I don't care for the game, but you are defending BF4 even though it's the same as BF1 when it comes to "private" servers - I simply don't get it.
The gun mechanics with the random deviation was a shit show and they made a huge mistake implementing it for BF1 and that's my biggest gripe with that game (and behemoths)

People were mostly positive with the alpha's and the open beta in BF5. Could it get better? Fuck yeah it could, but I doubt we'll ever get our own server hosting rights again.
Ok. I'll refine my statement to be more clear: as far as renting a server and its associated admin rights, there is no comparison between BF4 and 1. BF4 had an extremely robust allocation of control, relative to BF1. In BF1 it was hardly 'our' server at all.

Maybe it changed significantly after I quit BF1. I doubt it.

If you're talking about being able to host off a local machine, that's another matter - and it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

I am much more selective now, yes. I still play, but I do not pour anything like the amount of time I used to into them.

Frankly, the social element is as important to me as the gameplay. When dedicated servers stopped being a thing, it greatly decentralized many of the people I played with. Combined with the underwhelming gameplay, I've stepped away.

Slings and arrows as you will, but as I've gotten significantly older, my taste and discretion in games has changed and sharpened.
I totally get that and I feel the same way which means I usually only play with friends or family when gaming.
I do think you should have given BF5 a try as it's quite fun to play with friends in a squad.

I can respect that.(y)

I dare say the Battlefield franchise has developed quite a reputation for looking as good as it does while also scaling so well with hardware. It's one of the few FPS that really leverages more CPU power than the basic quad core.

I dare say the Battlefield franchise has developed quite a reputation for looking as good as it does while also scaling so well with hardware. It's one of the few FPS that really leverages more CPU power than the basic quad core.

Indeed. I remember BF4 pinging all 8 cores on my old [email protected] during a 64m large map.

Back