The Altcoin Thread

Well Doge seems stagnant at 265ish let see for a couple of days and yeah btc is currently down as well around 550+ so might as well hold and see.

Gox really just needs to die. They just cause issues and have no idea what they are talking about.

So I just added another GPU to my SMOS rig, and now that I did my middle GPU (which isn't the new one) doesn't seem to run as well anymore. The hash rate is normal, but the work unit is pretty low (about half what it should be) and the accepted shares from that card are much less than the other identical cards. Eventually it goes sick even though it still says 99% load.

How do I go about troubleshooting this? Not sure where to start.

So I just added another GPU to my SMOS rig, and now that I did my middle GPU (which isn't the new one) doesn't seem to run as well anymore. The hash rate is normal, but the work unit is pretty low (about half what it should be) and the accepted shares from that card are much less than the other identical cards. Eventually it goes sick even though it still says 99% load.

How do I go about troubleshooting this? Not sure where to start.

How much RAM in the system and how many cards? I just had to pop more RAM into the 7850 rig when I added a couple cards.

How much RAM in the system and how many cards? I just had to pop more RAM into the 7850 rig when I added a couple cards.

2GB total, which I thought would be enough for SMOS/BAMT.

The 3 cards are an MSI 7950, and two XFX 270x. The 7950 and 270x always played nice together, issues when I added the third 270x.

The weird thing (or maybe not that weird, I don't know) is all 3 cards run fantastic for a minute or two, then the WU on the middle card just slowly goes down until it stabilizes to about half of what the other 270x does, then eventually cgminer marks it as SICK and it drops to another half.

I've had the same thing happen on the rigs with my 7950's.

Things you can try to alleviate it:
1) Lower your GPU clocks by 5MHz increments at a time to see if that makes it go away.
2) Raise your GPU voltage by the lowest increment (on my cards it's like 0.006V at a time) to see if it stops.
3) A combination of the above.

I've had the same thing happen on the rigs with my 7950's.

Things you can try to alleviate it:
1) Lower your GPU clocks by 5MHz increments at a time to see if that makes it go away.
2) Raise your GPU voltage by the lowest increment (on my cards it's like 0.006V at a time) to see if it stops.
3) A combination of the above.

I think you may be on to something with the voltage. I had undervolted this new card the same as my current 270x (which works well) to 1.0v, but that's pretty low and this card may not be able to handle it. Going to try moving that around and seeing if that helps or not.

MAX is easy to setup. Download cgminer 3.7.2, then download an updated cgminer made for SHA-3 keccak from max.1gh.com. Overwrite the files in your current cgminer directory with the ones download for keccak. From there it's almost exactly the same a scrypt batch file, except "--keccak" instead of "--scrypt". Intensity doesn't do anything, and there's no core/mem tweaking, so just crank the core as high as you feel to get the most performance out of it. I personally mine on smalltimeminer as my main pool, without dwarfpool as my first fail over, and 1gh as my second failover.

For the record, I just spent about 15 or 20 minutes playing with Intensity and managed to squeeze another 360Mh/s or so out of all of my cards ... without any setting at all, cgminer defaulted to an intensity of 6, I raised it to 11... anything beyond that does little to nothing. My biggest jumps were on my 7970's that went from 311Mh/s to about 348Mh/s each.

I think you may be on to something with the voltage. I had undervolted this new card the same as my current 270x (which works well) to 1.0v, but that's pretty low and this card may not be able to handle it. Going to try moving that around and seeing if that helps or not.

Update, bumped my sick card up to 1.05v and now it runs perfectly. Thanks for the help guys!

Any CUDA miners? The new update makes these cards rock. I'm pushing ~330Kh/s. Not too shabby!

670%20mining.JPG

From Magical Tux 3 hours ago:

MagicalTux commented 3 hours ago
Just to update this thread, it seems that this discussion is mostly stale now. We (at MtGox) will implement this new hash index in our transactions database and start working with it (we will announce a maintenance as we will have to stop bitcoin deposits too during the database schema update) and will start providing this new hash when customers are withdrawing bitcoins, litecoins, or any other coin based on Bitcoin we may support in the future.

We will also provide an API that will allow our customers to use this hash to retrieve the transaction hash as seen in the blockchain once the transaction is confirmed, and will hope others (blockchain.info?) will index this value one day.

We also invite other exchanges and businesses which may need to keep track of bitcoins they send to use this same method, since dealing with multiple variations of the same thing wouldn't be very productive.

If nobody does it, we will also post some test vectors for regular (in=>out) transactions in the near future

Maybe LTC is going to make an appearance soon, as much as i wish Gox would die already i'm interested to see how it trades on there.

They're going to have to do something different when they finally allow withdrawals again. They will need something to keep their customers there and keep them paying. LTC was always the next logical choice, but now that it's sorta becoming stale, I'm not sure that simply adding LTC (and only LTC) will be enough to save them.

If they add LTC it will likely go way up.... Hmmm

But, in all honesty I can't wait to get my shit out of Gox... I stupidly have .5BTC in there..

Hmm... about 6-7 months ago LTC getting on Gox would have gave it a huge boost. No one really likes Gox anymore though. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a higher volume exchange trading it but I wouldn't expect any big increase in price.

One thing that would really impact LTC's value, IMO, is Coinbase or BitPay supporting it. That would allow merchants to easily integrate LTC.

One thing that would really impact LTC's value, IMO, is Coinbase or BitPay supporting it. That would allow merchants to easily integrate LTC.

Precisely, and seeing as the creator of LTC works at Coinbase, you can bet it's going to happen. Would be handy for Bitpay to pick it up too then we could use LTC on Gyft etc.

Any CUDA miners? The new update makes these cards rock. I'm pushing ~330Kh/s. Not too shabby!

670%20mining.JPG

I am interested in an updated list of performance for CUDA miner across the range of GTX cards. Since the January patch to bump performance significantly, but no easily referenced data to compare, has me scratching my head wondering.

I came really really close this morning to dumping my 41 LTC, my 1100 WDC, and the 1.2BTC I have stashed away in various places... I'd have only netted 1500 USD, but knowing the kind of hit I'd take knowing what it was worth just a few days ago didn't sit right.

My luck in the past has been as soon as I sell the price skyrockets back to X price... so I'm taking a more long approach to BTC/LTC. I should have sold WDB back when it was 50 cents a pop... now it's so low I might has well hold it and hope for a rebound if they ever get their shit squared away.

670%20mining.JPG

I hash on a 670 FTW, what's your clock speeds? I get around 300kh/s just now, will be updating tonight to see if there is any improvement.

Are there any "easy" ways to get Windows installed and working decently onto a USB flash drive? I've installed Windows onto a USB drive using VMWare Workstation, and the final product works, but it's just unbearably slow! It's actually faster running in Workstation than in the full hardware based computer. Maybe I just need to get the drivers installed, but right now a single click is taking like 15 or more seconds to respond. It's so painful.

Are there any "easy" ways to get Windows installed and working decently onto a USB flash drive? I've installed Windows onto a USB drive using VMWare Workstation, and the final product works, but it's just unbearably slow! It's actually faster running in Workstation than in the full hardware based computer. Maybe I just need to get the drivers installed, but right now a single click is taking like 15 or more seconds to respond. It's so painful.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=247537.0

Anybody cpu mining ? If so let me know what, was mining MemoryCoin but it took a huge dump, looking for next profitable coin.

You will have to invest in some fast usb sticks and pretty much you'll only be able to use USB3 ports. Most of the memory sticks I have here when plugged into a USB2 port get 5-7Mb/second copying to it. Any crappy spinny hard drive is north of 85

Run some benchmarks on your USB sticks and report back. I hate USB sticks for windows unless you get those really nice USB3 ones. I personally just run the ltcrabbit variant of BAMT on 4 or 5 rigs right now and love it. I can pull up the shell screen and edit the config file and restart the miner nicely. I've barely started the monitoring app I'm building for this. I have it at the point where I can connect and monitor an IP but don't have proper stat readouts or anything useful yet. My plan is to try to integrate some basic shell commands like restart machine, restart miner and pulling up config files but I just haven't had the time. In theory the monitor part at least will work with any version of cgminer. I haven't looked into cgwatchers API yet because I am using cgremote right now.

You will have to invest in some fast usb sticks and pretty much you'll only be able to use USB3 ports. Most of the memory sticks I have here when plugged into a USB2 port get 5-7Mb/second copying to it. Any crappy spinny hard drive is north of 85

Run some benchmarks on your USB sticks and report back. I hate USB sticks for windows unless you get those really nice USB3 ones. I personally just run the ltcrabbit variant of BAMT on 4 or 5 rigs right now and love it. I can pull up the shell screen and edit the config file and restart the miner nicely. I've barely started the monitoring app I'm building for this. I have it at the point where I can connect and monitor an IP but don't have proper stat readouts or anything useful yet. My plan is to try to integrate some basic shell commands like restart machine, restart miner and pulling up config files but I just haven't had the time. In theory the monitor part at least will work with any version of cgminer. I haven't looked into cgwatchers API yet because I am using cgremote right now.

Check out bamt 1.5 A lot of this has been added to the web gui i believe. unless you just like working in shell (i work off the remote desktop)

I may look into that later, thank you for link.

I did get some 3.0 sticks that rated up to 90/45MB/s for read/write. But, since Win 7 doesn't have any 3.0 drivers built in by default, I'm forced to boot from the 2.0 ports, so it looks like that is where my bottleneck. Hopefully the hour it takes to install the 3.0 drivers will fix it. If not I'll try Win 8/8.1, and if that doesn't work, I'll come back to you for some help. :D

But I'm still curious as to why it seems to work a lot better in Workstation on my main rig. When I set it up in Workstation, I did it through a 2.0 port, and also run it in that same point. It's a bit delayed when doing some things, but it's nowhere near as bad as taking the USB drive and plugging it into another rig and then booting that rig off the USB. It's like 20x slower in the full rig as opposed to running in Workstation. I haven't even had the chance to install any drivers, so maybe that's why. I guess Workstation installed some stuff into the OS that helps it out.

This is the last hurdle for me. Then the USB risers come in, then I build my racks!

Last edited:
Anybody cpu mining ? If so let me know what, was mining MemoryCoin but it took a huge dump, looking for next profitable coin.

I was doing quarkcoin but the rewards finally fell too low to make me $$$, really wish cpu mining was more popular

CPU-Mining is unfortunately a joke nowadays. XPM use to be where it was at, but between the cloud miners, Amazon free-credit abusers, and GPU clients...yeah. I woudn't even bother.

CPU-Mining is unfortunately a joke nowadays. XPM use to be where it was at, but between the cloud miners, Amazon free-credit abusers, and GPU clients...yeah. I woudn't even bother.

I gave PTS a spin over the past few weeks with a 4x 6166HE system (48 cores). I earned about .4 PTS per day mining, and 1 PTS = about 0.016BTC (or about $3 in revenue per day), so while it was profitable when compared to power costs, it was just barely profitable. You're much better off GPU mining.

I gave PTS a spin over the past few weeks with a 4x 6166HE system (48 cores). I earned about .4 PTS per day mining, and 1 PTS = about 0.016BTC (or about $3 in revenue per day), so while it was profitable when compared to power costs, it was just barely profitable. You're much better off GPU mining.

Protoshares! I did get in on release day and made about 2 btc over my entire time mining it, but it's obviously not worth it now.

I am interested in an updated list of performance for CUDA miner across the range of GTX cards. Since the January patch to bump performance significantly, but no easily referenced data to compare, has me scratching my head wondering.
Ask and you shall receive!
Behold!

From the official Thread for the CUDAMiner
I hash on a 670 FTW, what's your clock speeds? I get around 300kh/s just now, will be updating tonight to see if there is any improvement.

With the 2/2/14 release I run:
Code:
cudaminer -d gtx670 -l K7x32
And thats it. I get 330-340Kh/s :)

I may look into that later, thank you for link.

I did get some 3.0 sticks that rated up to 90/45MB/s for read/write. But, since Win 7 doesn't have any 3.0 drivers built in by default, I'm forced to boot from the 2.0 ports, so it looks like that is where my bottleneck. Hopefully the hour it takes to install the 3.0 drivers will fix it. If not I'll try Win 8/8.1, and if that doesn't work, I'll come back to you for some help. :D

But I'm still curious as to why it seems to work a lot better in Workstation on my main rig. When I set it up in Workstation, I did it through a 2.0 port, and also run it in that same point. It's a bit delayed when doing some things, but it's nowhere near as bad as taking the USB drive and plugging it into another rig and then booting that rig off the USB. It's like 20x slower in the full rig as opposed to running in Workstation. I haven't even had the chance to install any drivers, so maybe that's why. I guess Workstation installed some stuff into the OS that helps it out.

This is the last hurdle for me. Then the USB risers come in, then I build my racks!

Is there a specific reason you want to run Windows for the miners? I've got a Windows rig and an SMOS/BAMT rig and so far the linux rig is so much more stable and easier to maintain, runs perfectly off a cheap USB stick, and I can install it on multiple sticks with different configs to swap out settings easily by just swapping the USB keys.

Back