The Altcoin Thread

Well, it looks like KlondikeCoin prices have gone down far enough where it's time to move on to mining something more profitable (so that I can pay the bills).

Pool will stay open though. I will be diddling around with the server this weekend to see about getting another pool online. I'm tempted to get PotCoin up and running, but I think CASH might be next. Otherwise, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have my 7850 rig pointed at it still. I'll send it back to middlecoin for now. I couldn't pull the coins out it appears it wanted me to confirm my email but I found the confirmation in my spam file and clicked on the link...

Well, it looks like KlondikeCoin prices have gone down far enough where it's time to move on to mining something more profitable (so that I can pay the bills).

Pool will stay open though. I will be diddling around with the server this weekend to see about getting another pool online. I'm tempted to get PotCoin up and running, but I think CASH might be next. Otherwise, any suggestions would be appreciated.

This made me sad. I bought about .3 BTC worth when it was .0002. I watched it go up to .00023 and figured I'd wait. Now it crashed.
I'll hold on though. I still hope for another surge.

This made me sad. I bought about .3 BTC worth when it was .0002. I watched it go up to .00023 and figured I'd wait. Now it crashed.
I'll hold on though. I still hope for another surge.

In a sick and twisted way... if you buy another .3 btc worth at current market rate (for example - .000085), and it happens to only go back up to .0001575, you broke even! :D

Exactly what has happened to me.

There is a Corsair RM1000 sitting on my desk. I'm picking up two 7950s from a buddy on the way home where there is a new MSI Z87-G45 and a Core i3 waiting on the porch.

Tonight, Worker.2 goes from one 7950 to three and hopefully from 640 KH/s to 1920.

Beyond that, I guess we'll see. I really need to move the whole operation inside from the garage to help offset the heating bill.

I'm stuck between mining and hoarding a bunch of DOGE before the split or mining the DOGE and dumping it for WDC (more efficient than mining WDC by itself) and holding on to that for the new exchange next month.

There really is a lot to playing these markets that you don't realize at first. Kinda progresses like this:

1) Oh I have a video card in my gaming computer, you mean I can mine some coins with it while I'm not playing BF4? Neat, I'll just do that.
2) Hmm, maybe I can get another video card and stick it in here to get my hash rate up.
3) WHERE CAN I CRAM MORE VIDEO CARDS IN MY HOUSE?!

Last edited:
Going to three tonight.

What did you do to improve your WU efficiency?

So my new obsession is WU (work utility) which is what your rig is actually achieving vs the fake kh/s which is meaningless

So after much tuning

4 x 7950 @ only 1020mhz

2.566 mh/s = 2420-2440 WU

that is 2420/2566 = 94 percent efficiency

beat that!

See, mhz and raw kh/s doesn't matter. It's WU

let's see what screenshots I can find in this thread to compare... anyone have four 7950 ?

Looks like I need to tweak the 270X's in the box I just setup I'm only getting ~350KH/s from them. Is there a good guide somewhere for this?

Also I have a 7770 is a spare box I'm trying to deciede if its worth it. Currently mining Litecoin but open to any other suggestions been at this for all of about 36 hours now trying to take it all in.

Looks like I need to tweak the 270X's in the box I just setup I'm only getting ~350KH/s from them. Is there a good guide somewhere for this?

Also I have a 7770 is a spare box I'm trying to deciede if its worth it. Currently mining Litecoin but open to any other suggestions been at this for all of about 36 hours now trying to take it all in.

https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison

check that out and try some settings people have used and adjust from there

I get 300KH/s out of my XFX 7850. Great card that is easy to cool at room temp (72F) and only wants one 6 pin power connector.

You should be able to get more than that. Is this the Core Edition? I'm getting about 367 KH/s.

Looks like I found the problem with my 7950 and cgminer....

The initial problem, I think, was that I never got the setx commands to stick because I didn't do them in an admin command prompt. That's been fixed.

The problem with the card crashing when you plug in the monitor cable? No idea what that was all about, but I went into the bios settings and changed the mobo so it initialized off the PEG card first instead of the IGP, and booted right off the 7950. That seemed to make it happy.

As far as the HW errors, neither of those fixed it, though the setx did fix me using -g 1. What I did notice was I had copied over an OLD conf file from my other rig which had a lot less settings in it (from before I had a clue what a lot of the settings did). One setting that was conspicuously missing: vectors. I put in vectors : 2 in the conf file and I haven't had a HW error since. So far I've ramped up to I 17 getting about 548KH/s at 66C.

As much as I hate DOGE, I think you're right on this. Which is why it's good for tipping. Both parties feel like they've gotten or given more than they actually have.

The only other thing I like about DOGE is that it's pulled so much having power away from coins that I personally feel will have a much more stable existence in the future.

The DOGE community just sent 2 people to the Olympics. One from Jamaica (Bobsled team) and one from India.

OrgUoV0.png

DOGE also just collected a crap ton for homeless shelters and sent out like 100 pizzas all over.

57DqOgr.jpg

What's the BTC/LTC community done lately? DOGE is likely here to stay.

Otherwise, any suggestions would be appreciated.
LottoCoin. Small, fast blocks that are OK for even a smaller pool.... along with a fast difficulty retargeting (every block) so it tends to quickly scare a lot of the bigger multipools off. It appears well established and has a good following and moderate volumes on Cryptsy.

EDIT: Seriously, I would really like another good LOT pool... I use Dedicated Pool for LOT, but the pool OP has gone from low fees on some pools, no fees on other pools, to a standard 2% across the board. A bit excessive if you ask me, regardless of what kind of DDOS protection or back end hardware is installed.

Last edited:
litecoin party is over, 2500 -> 3300

Meh, I thought they'd be taking some of the heat off DOGE with a jump like that. But DOGE just went up to 1374 and I know it's another 4 hours away but the next retarget says 1600+ (though I think it won't go that high).

Seem DOGE's being a buffer to LTC. Mine doge for a few days till LTC diffculty drops then go back lol.

@Canna
Yeah probably DOGE will stay. Haven't seen any crypto community that's being that active.

And....there goes LTC difficulty back down to 2800.

So funny watching the difficulty waver back and fourth. You can't count on it til it actually changes.

And....there goes LTC difficulty back down to 2800.

So funny watching the difficulty waver back and fourth. You can't count on it til it actually changes.

Um, are you looking at a prediction or actual?

Because ltc takes 20+ hours to adjust and it will be at 3300 for at least half a day more.

Oh wait, no, 3.3 days

1948 * 2.5 minutes = 3.38 days

So it will be 3300 until February 2nd when it will adjust up or down again

This is why dogecoin 4 hour window is so much better and harder to "game", although the multi pools are doing their darnest to destroy it

This is why dogecoin 4 hour window is so much better and harder to "game", although the multi pools are doing their darnest to destroy it

Not sure the multipools are "trying"... it's not their fault if DOGE is one of, or even THE, most profitable alt coin available. Maybe some of the other coins need to step up their game... lol.

Not sure the multipools are "trying"... it's not their fault if DOGE is one of, or even THE, most profitable alt coin available. Maybe some of the other coins need to step up their game... lol.

Its called when the diff is high the profitability goes down so they jump to the most profitable which later DOGE is back to most profitable so they hop back on.... Any decent algo for profitability should be doing that without them actually trying

Its called when the diff is high the profitability goes down so they jump to the most profitable which later DOGE is back to most profitable so they hop back on.... Any decent algo for profitability should be doing that without them actually trying
Oh, I'm aware of how the multipools work. My point is they're not trying to "destroy" any particular coin when they jump on it with their massive hash power. It does have lasting consequences though that does ruin things for some of the dedicated miners.

Middlecoin is annoying me with all these work restart requests. It's killing my WU something fierce.

On a side note, for all the grief multipools have been getting, I still wouldn't mind developing a new one. Something with a combination of features from those existing out there, but with a few new and exciting features as well.

It certainly is where the money's at right now given the number of coins out there and the fact that it appears that a good chunk of the general mining populace will pay to not have to go through the hassle of switching coins manually. They will also pay extra for the ability to just receive funds in the lowest common denomination closest to being actual dollars as possible... that being BTC.

I think you kinda missed the boat there...there are so many worthless coins out there now...

One of my cards is running a lot cooler than the others (~56 C versus 66 C on the others). They are all spaced the same on the rig. They also all have the same settings and voltage set. I'm not sure whats going on. Any ideas on this discrepancy?
I'm running the Sapphire 270s BTW and I've undervolted them to 1.1v.

Middlecoin is annoying me with all these work restart requests. It's killing my WU something fierce.

Yeah, real annoying ... I'm looking at changing the cards pointing there also. The fee plus lost WU are add up to quite a bit now...

Is there really anything that can be done on WU from one pool to another? I was at ~99% efficiency when pointed at coinhuntr but at tmb it's fallen a bit. I assume because it's jumping back and forth between coins?

Is there really anything that can be done on WU from one pool to another? I was at ~99% efficiency when pointed at coinhuntr but at tmb it's fallen a bit. I assume because it's jumping back and forth between coins?

I've found the super fast coins are a complete waste. The only way to keep them running properly is on longer coins where your good cards can just eat up a nice fat block.

Those rapid changes are the pool finding the block too frickin fast and moving on

.......... I was at ~99% efficiency.........

I'm sure I'll be corrected here, but I've read that a WU % of 92 is about perfect.
Anything above that is artificially high based on luck and will eventually drop back towards 92%.
If your average WU is close to 92% you may be golden.

I realize people want the fastest possible cash return into BTC/USD via middlecoin and such... but i find it more and more annoying.

Sign onto dogecoin to "Check my traps" from a nights mining, and expected difficulty sits at 2500+ with 166GHash into the network. 30 minutes later it's down to 90GHash.

No consistency at all thanks to the farks who are either 1) too lazy or 2) too stupid to do even smallest bit of research into top coins doing this or that.

I said screw it and set my rigs to mine WDC today for a more consistent return. The whole situation is akin to a group of regulars at a bar who are all friends and enjoy coming in for a beer after work, except almost randomly some fat drunk piece of shit group barges in, destroys everything, drinks everything and then leaves without paying it's tab and leaving the regulars to clean up.

One of my cards is running a lot cooler than the others (~56 C versus 66 C on the others). They are all spaced the same on the rig. They also all have the same settings and voltage set. I'm not sure whats going on. Any ideas on this discrepancy?
I'm running the Sapphire 270s BTW and I've undervolted them to 1.1v.

Is it the intake card (first in the series?)

Cards sitting above the cpu will also run hotter than those further away, even if they are on risers.

But it also could be the thermal paste is actually applied well on that one card and/or the heatsink is lapped better with fewer grooves.

Or that particular chip just came out better, it happens.

yup -- 10C difference is totally normal for a standard setup. I experience about the same on my crossfire 290s' in my main rig.

A strategically placed fan here or there might help overall -- with a 270, I'm guessing you really don't have to worry about throttling though?

Any of the cards that I have under warranty I don't worry about about things like messing with thermal paste because generally there's void if removed stickers. My warranty means more than a few C of cooling. Besides if they didn't apply the paste properly its going to cost THEM and I'm just out shipping. I think Amazon gives something like 90 days warranty themselves and free returns so I'd gladly pay a lil extra to THEM instead of places like newegg that just say F U.

WU does depend a bit on luck but it also depends on the pool quality and how often it finds blocks and how well its vardiff is working

Have not dropped below 2500 this morning but sometimes I get 97% efficiency for several minutes

Note the last card is a 7970, and see how it's WU is the same as the first card which is a 7950 but somehow it has many more accepts, so I dunno what is going on

(also guess which card is the dumb powercolor card)

7970 has a massive heatsink and fans (ghz edition) so it is running very cool, also undervolted to 1.087

(it took a ton of fiddling to get these numbers, way too much time)

uMmrMt2.png

I'm not entirely sure what middlecoin was trying to mine last night, but the work resets have seemed to sort themselves out sometime during the night. Accepted rates as of this morning are just about max for my setup, I'm pushing close to 2MH/s with 2 unlocked 6950's, 1 not unlocked one and one non-optimized 7950 now.

Still need to get the actual "mining rig" put together. I have 3 more cards in the closet, lower end, but still I'm sitting on probably about 850KH/s worth of hash rate that's idle.

I'm not entirely sure what middlecoin was trying to mine last night, but the work resets have seemed to sort themselves out sometime during the night. Accepted rates as of this morning are just about max for my setup, I'm pushing close to 2MH/s with 2 unlocked 6950's, 1 not unlocked one and one non-optimized 7950 now.

Still need to get the actual "mining rig" put together. I have 3 more cards in the closet, lower end, but still I'm sitting on probably about 850KH/s worth of hash rate that's idle.
You suck, I have spare boards sitting here waiting for me to find decent prices on video cards. That dell PSU just came too with nothing that really needs to be powered

WU does depend a bit on luck but it also depends on the pool quality and how often it finds blocks and how well its vardiff is working

Have not dropped below 2500 this morning but sometimes I get 97% efficiency for several minutes

Note the last card is a 7970, and see how it's WU is the same as the first card which is a 7950 but somehow it has many more accepts, so I dunno what is going on

(also guess which card is the dumb powercolor card)

7970 has a massive heatsink and fans (ghz edition) so it is running very cool, also undervolted to 1.087

(it took a ton of fiddling to get these numbers, way too much time)
Thats pretty cool. What manufacturer are your cards?

I have x3 7970s and x2 6970 (only one of which is running right now). I checked the 6970 this morning and it's getting about 90% WU (hash rate showing 491kh and WU showing around 450kh) on TradeMyBit. My 3 7970s are all over the place as far as WU and average around 80%-85% on TradeMyBit. And they're mixed manufacturer cards too. 1 Sapphire Vap X Ghz ed., 1 HIS IceQ and 1 Gigabyte with a ref cooler. I think I have a Diamond card coming eventually too, just to make it a little more interesting. :)

I wonder if my WU would stabilize with the same manufacturer?

Back