The Altcoin Thread

how do I get that high on MH/s? what do I have to do to do that?

cgminer.exe --keccak --no-submit-stale -o stratum+tcp://maxpool.1gh.com:17333 -u mdr5rGdv5mq4zniSZDb6FdWnhUjV71C5d9 -p x -I 14

which bitcoin wallet I shall download for clevermining?

Last edited:
It looks like it took awhile but power supply prices have now joined video card prices and lost their damn minds.

evga 1000 is now $200+ on amazon/newegg and the 1300 is $300+

It looks like it took awhile but power supply prices have now joined video card prices and lost their damn minds.

1200W Thermaltake Toughpower cost $389 in 2007. I don't recall them ever going much lower than that over the ensuing years. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:

There may be some people overpaying for PSU's but by and large I don't think they are getting to the "mining" price just yet for that area.

Quality PSU's have always cost a good bit of money. Brand name is actually important. And while I love a good deal and being cheap/saving money, a PSU is something I don't have a problem paying for if I know I'm getting something good.

Let's face is, getting something to safely and reliably power 1000+W of hardware, yeah I don't mind paying a decent price. Would rather spend an extra 50 bucks there, than have 1500 or 2000 dollars worth of gear go up in smoke due to crap quality.

Yes, but I purchased two eVGA Supernova 1000W G2s for $130 after rebate each in November. There's no way I'm paying over $200 for one now (especially when you can backorder a eVGA 1300W for about $10 more than that)

I just bought a couple PSU for my mining rig. Missed an EVGA 650W gold, modular for $60 after rebate last week, 10 year warranty but quad 12V rails (meh). Ended up getting a Rosewill (Superflower) 750W gold, modular, single 12V rail, 7 year warranty for $90 as I couldn't wait for another deal.

Oh, I better order me a couple more 1300G2's quick then. I put my name on a couple (back order) about 2 or 3 weeks ago at $219 (CAD) because they were on sale (reg. price $229). The retailer I bought them from removed them from the product listing presumably because they were getting too many back orders from it. I see today they added it back to the listing and it's still on sale for $219 even though it's still on back order. Newegg Canada has the 1300G2 for $269 still. But it doesn't take long for the prices to catch up here in Canada.

Well there is always the possibility of multiple smaller psu, USB risers tend to do well with multiple PSU because of their power isolation from the motherboard.

For the really savvy, there is always the option of the Bladecenter PSU mod, a pure 12 volt PSU that runs off 220v and has massive wattage @ 92%+ efficiency. They are only $30-$40 but do not come with the wiring harness you'd need for PCI-E 6/8 pin connectors so they need mod work.

I see slightly better evga pricing on NCIX (both Canada and US divisions) but the prices still suck.

For perspective, last Black Friday, evga had a direct sale on their website for like $130 for their 1000watt and I think $170 on the 1300watt

I see slightly better evga pricing on NCIX (both Canada and US divisions) but the prices still suck.

For perspective, last Black Friday, evga had a direct sale on their website for like $130 for their 1000watt and I think $170 on the 1300watt

Well, around here in Canada, we pretty much have to deal with prices that are 20% higher than US (at the present time, exchange rate is a huge issue for suppliers I'm guessing). This is why the EVGA 1300G2 at $219 is actually a pretty good deal.

I'm a bit disappointed I missed that sale now. :(

I've been more interested in the hardware end of things. But now I'm trying to grasp the finer points of the market concepts behind all of this. But unfortunately, I don't even think I understand the basics. . .

Can someone help me understand how the "profitability" of a coin can vary so much even when I don't see any of the factors involved move appreciably. For example, over at coinwarz, I see the the profit (after power) go from $1 per day to around $4 per day on a given altcoin. Yet its difficulty, its exchange rate, and even bitcoin value don't change (at least, not appreciably).

LTC to BTC ratio is 0.022 now. I wonder if I should start slowly hedging back into it. It's odd to see DOGE price going down against BTC but going up against LTC right now.

Last edited:
LTC to BTC ratio is 0.022 now. I wonder if I should start slowly hedging back into it. It's odd to see DOGE price going down against BTC but going up against LTC right now.

It's not so much - DOGE and LTC are both going down compared to BTC, it's just that LTC is going down faster.

LTC has been steadily dropping in value for weeks, now...

LTC's great hope was that Mt Gox was going to start trading it too, in fact they wrote on twitter they would soon (early this year?)

Now that dream of that kind of boost is gone. Not sure what event will ever replace it.

LTC's great hope was that Mt Gox was going to start trading it too, in fact they wrote on twitter they would soon (early this year?)

I heard a rumor that Mark Karpeles, in some "Mt.Gox will return" interview/speech/news release still mentioned "LTC on Gox". If Gox is to return, they might have to introduce new currencies to trade in order to entice customers to return.

Now that dream of that kind of boost is gone. Not sure what event will ever replace it.

No, not gone at all. The next dream for LTC is "LTC on Huobi". Just think of Huobi as being similar to a Chinese Gox (except without all of the losing BTC and going bankrupt BS). It would be an extra entry point for LTC into the Chinese market.

In fact, Huobi's treatment of LTC has been very Gox-like recently. "We're evaluating adding LTC sometime in the near future." And then we wait.... and wait.... and wait.... while every LTC supporter on BTC-e shouts "LTC to go on Huobi" as if it's some new mantra.

And then there's always the possibility of LTC on Gox now.... again.

I think it's a blessing at this point that LTC was never added to Gox. Imagine them screwing THAT up as well.

I think this is the first time I've seen LTC be noticeably hurt by so many different altcoins. For a while it was trading around 0.03. The even after DOGE and the DOGEclone boom it was still pretty stable around 0.025. Now it's heading to 0.02.

I've been more interested in the hardware end of things. But now I'm trying to grasp the finer points of the market concepts behind all of this. But unfortunately, I don't even think I understand the basics. . .

Can someone help me understand how the "profitability" of a coin can vary so much even when I don't see any of the factors involved move appreciably. For example, over at coinwarz, I see the the profit (after power) go from $1 per day to around $4 per day on a given altcoin. Yet its difficulty, its exchange rate, and even bitcoin value don't change (at least, not appreciably).

it's my understanding its based on buy orders. Some user will go to the exchange and say i want X amount of coin for X amount of BTC. The site (coinwarz) then does some math and determines the most profit based on current buy orders taking into consideration your power cost, current has rate, and coin difficulty.

I have so many things to learn about mining right still.

Should I be mining Doge or Litecoin right now? When I get my payouts should I be trading them in for Bitcoins or hold onto them for a bit and see if they improve?

I'm just mining on the hardware I have, not building custom rigs hoping to make some huge profit.

Can someone point me to a good link that explains Stratum mining? I have use Stratum enabled on coinotron but I don't know why or understand it.

I have so many things to learn about mining right still.

Should I be mining Doge or Litecoin right now? When I get my payouts should I be trading them in for Bitcoins or hold onto them for a bit and see if they improve?

I'm just mining on the hardware I have, not building custom rigs hoping to make some huge profit.

Can someone point me to a good link that explains Stratum mining? I have use Stratum enabled on coinotron but I don't know why or understand it.

Go to wafflepool.

Set up your configs to point at wafflepool and add your BTC address

Mine away.

Collect your BTC every day.

Profit

Go to wafflepool.

Set up your configs to point at wafflepool and add your BTC address

Mine away.

Collect your BTC every day.

Profit
I second this. Its not worth having to manage many wallets, pools, login etc...
For small miners pools like Waffle are the way to go.

I will also add to the multi-pool recommendation. Managing multiple wallets is a PITA especially when they patch them (i.e. find a bug) every other week in one. Scrypt coins are all tied to BTC anyway and manual exchanges take time as well. I've found that once you get your rig up and running optimally, it's easier to get only the BTC wallet and use wafflepool or clevermining and forget about it (figuratively, watch those BTC prices to cash out, like today at $700).

Anyone mine on trademybit? Feel like taking a break from waffle and giving them a try.

I have not tried that one, but I swapped from Waffle to ScryptGuild and it seems like my payout is low.
But I will admit it is MUCH more kind to my cards as far as WU and rejects go.
Seems with Waffle getting so large and fixing the difficulty at 512 my up time and card stability was much worse than when I first started there.

I've had a good experience with Waffles so far, been mining there for the past 5 hours with 5MH/s and not a single reject.

I mined at Waffle for two weeks straight until I swapped for two days to SunnyD's KDC pool.
It was getting a little worse as the pool grew larger.

I will also add to the multi-pool recommendation. Managing multiple wallets is a PITA especially when they patch them (i.e. find a bug) every other week in one. Scrypt coins are all tied to BTC anyway and manual exchanges take time as well. I've found that once you get your rig up and running optimally, it's easier to get only the BTC wallet and use wafflepool or clevermining and forget about it (figuratively, watch those BTC prices to cash out, like today at $700).

So I should NOT be mining litecoin only then?

I've had a good experience with Waffles so far, been mining there for the past 5 hours with 5MH/s and not a single reject.

I think the waffle pool server lies somehow to miners.

Not only is the reject rate impossibly low, I seem to have found an amazing number of blocks for various coins.

In two weeks I've found 10 blocks.

I had several "blocks found". Then last week it was zeroed. Now back to just 3...
Probably some false info.

I had two purchased before I chickened out and canceled. Summer is coming and I am unsure of this desert heat in West Texas.

Just another reason I love the 270 cards. I think the hottest one I have is upstairs in my office machine and it runs at 74C. Its also sammiched between 2 other 270 cards...:D

I am this close to buying 6 750TI's for 149$ each. 300 KH/s for 60 watts look great. 1.8MH/s @ 360 watts. Not bad @ all.

Anyone mine on trademybit? Feel like taking a break from waffle and giving them a try.
I use tmb as my primary pool. I think as with any multi pool they have ups and downs. I joined because I saw they were going to limit the pool to 1gh but it doesn't look like that's the case anymore, although it's still relatively small. I have yet to see it go over 3gh.

The other thing I like about tmb is that there are daily updates as to what's going on. For someone like me who doesn't have time to read everything out there, it's nice to see updates and communication regularly.

Back