The Altcoin Thread

12-17 GH/s net hash rate now. This coin is blowing up. :D

4 more days of PoW mining after the stroke of midnight. With that said, this has been one of the least early adopter friendly coins I have ever mined. Difficulty rose very fast. I've resorted to buying some today with BTC.

Wow how did I miss this one? Definitely going to jump on and see what happens.

Hypocrisy. I do not think it means what you think it means.

this guys just a bitcoin hating troll, I've gotten warnings for trolling on here and that is exactly what this guy is doing so just when he posts things as stupid as he is just report him and sooner or later he'll be banned

Even at MSRP it's a cheap board @ $70. I can't believe no other mobo manufacturer jumped on the BTC bandwagon.

Man i really want to build a 6x750ti rig but my wallet is telling me no.

Huh of course your wallet says to, sell anything AMD related for this.

That is my plan, and get some big Maxwell's when they come out.

Speaking of Maxwell, isn't 20nm Maxwell a long ways off? Last I read it was Q4 2014 but then again, nVidia surprised all of us by dropping the 680 bomb just 2.5 months after the 7000 series came out.

Hate to point this out but now LTC is (slowly) approaching single digit USD value

http://www.ltc-charts.com/period-charts.php?period=3-months&resolution=day&pair=ltc-usd&market=btc-e

http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/pe...nths&resolution=day&pair=ltc-usd&market=btc-e

Hope that trend stops soon. Trading volume also seems to be tanking, maybe that means people are holding, but probably means people aren't buying.

Doesn't seem to be affecting difficulty though, still very high and holding.

I've been noticing that - not quite sure what the deal is with LTC, but that decline has been consistent and steady, and it's...annoying.

Seems like that's true of ALL of the GPU-viable (IE., Scrypt) coins, though - wonder if that's going to be a long-term trend.

I read somewhere that amd has something in the pipeline to answer to maxwell

I like where this battle is going

Added: Just got the asrock btc mobo

It's made in Vietnam! So even China now is too expensive to manufacture. Wow.

I think I read they pay people 18 cents an hour there.

Last edited:
That is awesome. Wish they had more pools though.

I turned off auto payout for BC on tmb. Gonna try and horde some coins for a day or two. Looks like it's gonna blow up.

PoS has officially gone live on MINT and BC.

And AuroraCoin, wow. And the dev has 50% of it premined! According to coinmarketcap, he is now worth $80 million?!?

Any coin with premine should not be respected.

Oh okay, I see now

Auroracoin is a cryptocurrency for Iceland. 21.000.000 coins, block reward 25. It is based on litecoin and is 50% premined. The premined coins will be distributed to the entire population of Iceland, commencing on midnight 25th of March 2014.

Well that is weird but okay I guess.

Last edited:
Auroracoin is a cryptocurrency for Iceland. 21.000.000 coins, block reward 25. It is based on litecoin and is 50% premined. The premined coins will be distributed to the entire population of Iceland, commencing on midnight 25th of March 2014.

All 5 people.

Just kidding. :p

I looked up Auroracoin and then looked up its value and what my possible production could be... those are the first things I usually do with a new coin. Then I started looking up other stuff about it and you know, I'm really on the fence on this one. And, just to be safe, I'm gonna steer clear of it.

BC is crazy, I'm watching the network hash rate jump from 10gh to 25gh to 45gh within a matter of minutes between. Which is causing the difficulty to jump between 120 on one block and then 400 on the next.

Any details on how the PoS works? I've got a couple thousand in my wallet, do I just leave it open and all of a sudden I'll have more?

Yup... as far as I can determine, as long as it stays in your wallet for 8 hours, your coins get together and start making baby coins. The stake is supposedly 1% annually.

All 5 people.

Just kidding. :p

Is it iceland or greenland that has all that cheap geothermal electric power?

They would be the ultimate country for crypto-mining, cheap green power and low temperatures for natural cooling.

They should sell rack space.

It is heading in that direction, but your average small miner will not be getting anything (yet) because these emerging companies will only be able to fill at most the bulk orders made by large farmers and group buy-ins. There is incredible demand (obviously) for devices like this, and it will be a long time before supply evens things out.

That being said, my GPUs will always be profitable...just not as profitable as say one of these asic miners. I can live with that.

It is heading in that direction, but your average small miner will not be getting anything (yet) because these emerging companies will only be able to fill at most the bulk orders made by large farmers and group buy-ins. There is incredible demand (obviously) for devices like this, and it will be a long time before supply evens things out.

That being said, my GPUs will always be profitable...just not as profitable as say one of these asic miners. I can live with that.

Exactly, and even then, nothing says GPU miners can't continue to mine Scrypt-Jane or SHA3. Hell, even the community is torn between whether or not the major altcoins should hard fork and change their algo. At the end of the day, ASICs secure the network to a large degree, but scrypt isn't the only form out there. I still think we'll see Doge fork to maintain it's ease of mining to "everyday miners".

Problem is when they become less profitable than the electricity required to run them 24/7...

Exactly, and even then, nothing says GPU miners can't continue to mine Scrypt-Jane or SHA3. Hell, even the community is torn between whether or not the major altcoins should hard fork and change their algo. At the end of the day, ASICs secure the network to a large degree, but scrypt isn't the only form out there. I still think we'll see Doge fork to maintain it's ease of mining to "everyday miners".
Scrypt-Jane ok, SHA3 no. SHA-3 is a derivate from SHA-256, if it ever becomes profitable to make an asic for it, we'll have BTC-level hashers in a very small timeframe.

Scrypt-Jane ok, SHA3 no. SHA-3 is a derivate from SHA-256, if it ever becomes profitable to make an asic for it, we'll have BTC-level hashers in a very small timeframe.

Point being, ASICs aren't in development for SHA3 so there is a very large open window to mine that algo without worrying.

Problem is when they become less profitable than the electricity required to run them 24/7...

BTC price levels would have to literally drop to $100 or less.

Most profitable altcoin multipools have gone a long way to ensuring profitability.

ok idk about auroracoin anymore,almost every pool is shit and that marketcap is fake. I only have like 6 aur right now.might just keep them and go back to waffle.

I've exchanged all my bitcoin already, and any that come in I keep exchanging. I'd rather do it now and risk slightly less profits than hold them and risk the market tanking out.

It's also the reason I'm thinking about going to mining a crap load of 750 Ti's. They won't really lose their value if the mining craze suddenly stops and I can sell all my 7950's and 7970's while it's at peak prices. not to mention the 750 TI's KH rate per watt is outstanding.

BTC price levels would have to literally drop to $100 or less.

Most profitable altcoin multipools have gone a long way to ensuring profitability.
Not for us who pay @ tier rates that get close to to 30 cents or more.

ok idk about auroracoin anymore,almost every pool is shit and that marketcap is fake. I only have like 6 aur right now.might just keep them and go back to waffle.
I would. I am tired of watching for the next alt coin. Give me steady payments and I am happy.

I am at .31c/kWh (Tier 4, So Cal Edison) assuming .01 BTC payout per 1Mh/s per day the cutoff is in the $250 range.

I'm currently at 0.119/kwh in Wisconsin however, Xcel Energy has a 60,000 kwh annual usage cap in which if you go over, double rates for a whole year. So I hear you there, although not as painful as what you have out there.

Back