The absolute best aircooling solution?

IceWeasel said:
cause i could do this...
dualFan.jpg

Sorry dude, but I jsut can't stand those Tt POS heatpipe tower coolers.....nowhere NEAR the build quality of the Hyper6....and looks worse too IMO.

i dont argue with you... lol

i didn't make a very educated decision when i bought my hsf... i smack myself in the face every morning for doing so, but i spent $50 on it, so i hate to just throw $50 away lol

IceWeasel said:
i dont argue with you... lol

i didn't make a very educated decision when i bought my hsf... i smack myself in the face every morning for doing so, but i spent $50 on it, so i hate to just throw $50 away lol

Haha, its pretty funny to hear an owner of the thing saying the same thing....but I'm glad we're on the same page. ;) :p

I can hardly wait to get my Hyper6, if you have any suggestions be sure to let me know.

You plan on using the stock fan? The review on SPC didn't speak too highly of it, and they said it was kinda iffy to fit another standard fan on it (nothing zip-ties can't fix I'm sure, but it adds to the cost), dunno. They may have modified it since then so it takes any standard fans (some reviews say you can only mount the stock fan one way, that is, blowing into the inside of the heatsink; some say you can mount it either way).

I've been trying to find a review that compared the Hyper 6 and Zalman 7000 Cu directly but I don't think I've stumbled upon it... :rolleyes: From my guesstimate (having seen both compared to the SLK-948s) the Hyper 6 might work slightly better but it all depends on the fan, any type of fan might also produce more noise on the Hyper 6 than the Zalman's stock, tho it really depends on how you mount it I guess.

Impulse said:
You plan on using the stock fan? The review on SPC didn't speak too highly of it, and they said it was kinda iffy to fit another standard fan on it (nothing zip-ties can't fix I'm sure, but it adds to the cost), dunno. They may have modified it since then so it takes any standard fans (some reviews say you can only mount the stock fan one way, that is, blowing into the inside of the heatsink; some say you can mount it either way).

I've been trying to find a review that compared the Hyper 6 and Zalman 7000 Cu directly but I don't think I've stumbled upon it... :rolleyes: From my guesstimate (having seen both compared to the SLK-948s) the Hyper 6 might work slightly better but it all depends on the fan, any type of fan might also produce more noise on the Hyper 6 than the Zalman's stock, tho it really depends on how you mount it I guess.

Well I've seen the Hyper6 consistently beating out the SP94 when they're using the same fan.....and I KNOW that the SP94 is a more capable heatsink then my Zalman.....so I really hadn't bothered looking for any DIRECT comparisons of the two. From what I see, I dont know why you wouldnt be able to mount any old case fan on there, I've seen it done. Coolermaster gives you 4 little fan mount push-pin things that just go through the fan and into the frame of the Hyper6....simple simple. I'm not worried about cranking up the stock fan for 40 some cfm...cus I still won't be able to hear it in my case. ;)

I had actually seen this review before but glossed over the details at the end the first time around, some decent info on what might cause extra noise and how it can easily be remedied tho. Does look like it cools a tad better than the Zalman obviously... I'm sure with a better brand fan than the stock it'd perform even better, depending on case setup and how it's oriented with regards to nearby fans (P4 mobo sockets seem to orient the fins/fan side towards the top/bottom of the case, while most A64 mobo sockets seem to place it to the sides).

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1568&page=6

Impulse said:
P4 mobo sockets seem to orient the fins/fan side towards the top/bottom of the case, while most A64 mobo sockets seem to place it to the sides.

It actually differs from board to board.....and the majority of s478 board I've seen actually DO give you the left to right setup for the Hyper6.

IceWeasel said:
both the heatsink fan and the 120 in the case are blowing out... therefore it is actually sucking air right off the heatsink... outta the case! :D

that is a good thing right?

... at least i think the heatsink fan is blowing out... damn, now i gotta check

Hey dude, checkout the fan on the right in you pic, and look at the fan in your case, they are attached the same way. Now look at the fan very closly on the left on your pic of just the heatsink with two fans. I do mean very closely. See those long screws bud, the ones on the fan on the left? That's because that plate on the fan is the exhaust side of the fan. Any axial fan has cross bars on the exhaust side of the fan. I say that because I've seen pics of the Silent boost with the plate against the heatsink, like it is on your heatsink. You might want to check again to make sure. If you don't believe me, look up some Silent Boost pics and compare to your setup and see if your fan is blowing the wrong way.

you are right... when i mounted the heatsink/fan, the way it was facing is against the case fan's pull..

ill have to remove my mobo and shit to fix it :(

IceWeasel said:
when i mounted the heatsink/fan, the way it was facing is against the case fan's pull.

That sux dude, but it'll be worth it.....be sure to get us up to date on the "after" temps.

will do, although my cart at jab-tech.com is setup like this right now... just waiting for me to checkout:

Arctic Cooling ATI VGA Silencer 4
Vantec Iceberq copper BGA ramsinks
Thermalright XP-90
Vantec Tornado 92mm
Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound - 12g

lol, i'm going to wait until the weekend is over, after i redo this fan, then i may checkout that order :D

IceWeasel said:
will do, although my cart at jab-tech.com is setup like this right now... just waiting for me to checkout:

Arctic Cooling ATI VGA Silencer 4
Vantec Iceberq copper BGA ramsinks
Thermalright XP-90
Vantec Tornado 92mm
Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound - 12g

lol, i'm going to wait until the weekend is over, after i redo this fan, then i may checkout that order :D

One thing I noticed about that post there dude........the ATISilencer 4 DOES cool the cards ram on both sides....so unless you're planning on using the Vantec ramsinks for something else, they're not really gonna be any good to you. ;)

i wasn't aware that the ati silencer 4 got the ram on both sides of the card, i thought i'd have some areas that went uncovered.. you just saved me $10 :D thanks!

also, if i am getting ready to start oc'ing my system, should i look into buying a new northbridge heatsink? my board is the Asus A8V-Deluxe, and it has the heatsink shown in the picture here -->
asus.jpg

since i dont know much about northbridge heatsinks, i was just looking at a Zalman one that is on the same site the other cooling stuff i'm ordering is from... it is this one --->
Zalman Northbridge Cooler

i wasn't aware that the ati silencer 4 got the ram on both sides of the card, i thought i'd have some areas that went uncovered.. you just saved me $10 thanks!

NP dude, glad to help.

About the NB cooler.....my friend has the Zalman you linked to, and while it technically WILL do a better job then the Asus heatsink....I think that Zalman is pretty gaudy. I have yet to see a review of the board where they complain about the NB getting too hot, so I might just leave it be unless you wanna move to active cooling. I will agree that the NB cooler on the A8V is a fair bit slimmer then most.....but give the board a go in your case before you buy anything extra for it. Have it looping through some tests and/or gaming for a few hours and touch the NB heatsink.....if its BLAZING hot then yeah.....go buy something else, but I highly doubt you're gonna run into anything like that.

Your call.

alright! reinstalled my fan on the right side of the heatsink and did some testing...

before

with the case side off i run

Idle - 37
Load- 48

now

with the side off

idle - 33
load- 40

woot woot! those are respectable #'s, i doubt i'll buy a new hsf now! :D :cool: :p

Well, we saved you even more money now that your fan is mounted properly on your heatsink!

IceWeasel said:
i doubt i'll buy a new hsf now!

No kidding dude.....if you're going for lower temps I honestly don't know what you'd even buy over the Hyper6. :p Glad to hear it's goin' good for ya though. :cool:

I just installed my Thermalright XP-120 HSF, and I'm impressed with it. My temps before I got it(with a Thermaltake Silent boost)were 51deg idle, and up to 61deg load. My new temps are 41deg idle and 51deg load. These temps were measured with the Asus probe, and I know they are way high because my Vantec Nexus shows them at 38deg & 44deg. I recomend this cooler to anybody who's got the room for one.

haroldmeyer said:
and I know they are way high because my Vantec Nexus shows them at 38deg & 44deg.

The A64's DO have heatspreaders.....so where specifically have you got the probe mounted? If it's not taped to the bottom of the CPU then there's a chance the probe is just as innacurate as the mobo itself.

cornelious0_0 said:
The A64's DO have heatspreaders.....so where specifically have you got the probe mounted? If it's not taped to the bottom of the CPU then there's a chance the probe is just as innacurate as the mobo itself.
I've got my CPU sensor attached to the top of the A64 heatspreader,my thoughts were that since heat traveled upward, this would give me my best reading. Your probably right about the temps being wrong on both, but at least I can get an idea where they are.

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

XP-120 heatsink with 120mm antec smartblue fan 28dba or less i forgot..
and a nb-1 northbridge heatsink.. which i had to expirement around to fit it. :D

Jason711 said:
why wont this thread die?

If (for some reason) you've really got a problem with the thread being up just PM a mod to ask if they can lock it......'cus it'll never just "die" on its own. I dont' see what the big problem is though. :rolleyes:

why lock up this post or even want it to die.. i want ppl info on what thier best solution to hot temps to help me out that is the reason why ders threads is to help each other solve thier problems. :p

lostpnoiboi said:
why lock up this post or even want it to die.. i want ppl info on what thier best solution to hot temps to help me out that is the reason why ders threads is to help each other solve thier problems. :p

Yeah, I didn't quite understand where Jason was coming from with that one. :p

My computer with newly installed VGA Silencer on the 6800ultra and Hyper6 on the P4 3.4c (currently @ 3.6)

intelinside.jpg

I'm kinda unlucky that the retention bracket faces the wrong way, but I'm getting a new mobo soon anyway. Despite this I get

31 degrees C Idle

41 Load (that's with 3Dmark03, I haven't really tried anything more straining)

with an ambient Temp of 25 degrees.

I replaced the fan with a YS-Tech one I had lying around, which is much quieter. I'm very impressed with the Hyper6!

i just ordered an XP90 to replace my SLK948U on my A64 3100+ ES , should keep it cool with a 92mm fan.

Yeah I'm getting an XP-90 with a Panaflo M1A soon as well... Haven't seen any recent comparisons of HSFs tho, not that I care that much... I know the XP-90 outperforms the Zalman 7000 (for $10 more) and the Hyper6 uses 80mm fans so I prefer the XP-90 (92mm) for noise considerations.

It'd still be nice to see who's "top dog" when noise is not being considered or at 'least under the use of similar fans across a few recent models. Haven't read decent reviews of latter Swifty models, etc. I miss the good old [H] HSF roundups. :(

cornelious0_0 said:
If (for some reason) you've really got a problem with the thread being up just PM a mod to ask if they can lock it......'cus it'll never just "die" on its own. I dont' see what the big problem is though. :rolleyes:

you wouldnt see a problem...

By the way, whoever said it, heat doesn't travel up, it travels from hot to cold. Hot air rises because it's less dense than cold air, but this doesn't hold true between solid objects.

dommer said:
By the way, whoever said it, heat doesn't travel up, it travels from hot to cold. Hot air rises because it's less dense than cold air, but this doesn't hold true between solid objects.

True, you do have a point there.

you wouldnt see a problem...

Alllllright then......

Sarin said:
My computer with newly installed VGA Silencer on the 6800ultra and Hyper6 on the P4 3.4c (currently @ 3.6)

intelinside.jpg

I'm kinda unlucky that the retention bracket faces the wrong way, but I'm getting a new mobo soon anyway. Despite this I get

31 degrees C Idle

41 Load (that's with 3Dmark03, I haven't really tried anything more straining)

with an ambient Temp of 25 degrees.

I replaced the fan with a YS-Tech one I had lying around, which is much quieter. I'm very impressed with the Hyper6!

I get the same temps as you do on my 3.4c @3.6 with an XP90 and 92mm Thermaltake fan.

W00t!

Sarin, if you're looking for a true stress-test.....there is nothing better for hyper threading processors then running two copies of Prime95's torture test. Running two copies of it will hold both cpu's at a solid 100%, and you WILL find your max load temp.....cus 3DMark03 will not stress your CPU nearly as much as dual Prime95 will.....as 3DMark is so heavy on the GPU.

it's interesting to see all the Lian-Li PC1000 cases popping up. I love being able to see how other people have there's set up. By far the best so far is this one over at the ocforums... Vio's Lian-Li

I have pics of mine earlier in this thread, but I'm constantly working on it, especially the wiring. Just put in some clear 24" SATA cables, so I can run them behind the 5.25" bays, as well a shorter floppy cable.

Well, I am gonna give the XP-90 a try, it should be here tomorrow. So, if it works out I will have a XP-120 for sale along with a 120mm Delta.

cornelious0_0 said:
Sarin, if you're looking for a true stress-test.....there is nothing better for hyper threading processors then running two copies of Prime95's torture test. Running two copies of it will hold both cpu's at a solid 100%, and you WILL find your max load temp.....cus 3DMark03 will not stress your CPU nearly as much as dual Prime95 will.....as 3DMark is so heavy on the GPU.

how do you get two copies to run at the same time? i can never get two to open.

rtierney said:
how do you get two copies to run at the same time? i can never get two to open.
Go to your program files folder and copy the prime95 folder. Then change the folder name (ex. Prime95a) and add this folder to the Prime95 folder. Make a shortcut for the other exe. Then in Prime95 go to advanced and then affinity, check the box and change one program to cpu 1 and the other cpu 0.

Those of you running XP-120s, XP-90s and similar: Have you rigged a single wire to go to the motherboard header to monitor RPMs? I'm thinking of purchasing the XP-120, but I'd like to monitor the RPMs.

I noticed some other CPU coolers with included fans will have a single lead to go to the mb header, but I haven't seen anything you can purchase for the 120mm fans that will draw power from a PSU molex and still have a wire to go to the header.

Back