The absolute best aircooling solution?

IceWeasel

[H]ard|Gawd
I know that I have very few posts here, but I'm working on that! :-D

Can you guys post what you believe are the best aircooling solutions for a AMD 64 Socket 939 processor and a ATI x800xt video card???

Thanks!

Ice, please define "best" for us, hm?

Coolest tempurature, regardless? Doesn't matter if your ears bleed?

by "best" i meant best in each of your own opinion's.

i don't particularly care if it is loud, because the rest of my system is failry quiet, so it wouldn't bother me too much. mainly what i am looking for is the best performance (i.e. solution that keeps my chip the coolest), whatever it takes. just describe if it sounds like a jet engine! lol :eek:

Others have told me to look into this heatsink/fan.

Zalman CNPS7000 AlCu

g3no said:
VGA Silencer for the video card, and an SLK-948 for the cpu with a 90mm vantec tornado!!

SLK-948
VGA Silencer 4

ditto.
The tornado "will" sound like a jet engine. I had an 80mm ~70 cfm delta once, I could hear it downstairs (literally)...and I"ve heard the tornado's are worse.

BTW, just a quick tip, switching from the ~70 cfm 55+db delta to a ~35cfm 30db papst only raised my load temps 2-3c.

right now i'm leaning towards the
ThermalRight Xp 120 with my Panaflo m1 mounted on it... ~86 cfm airflow should be good at ~35dbl

and the artic ATI Silencer 4 for my x800 xt... do i need ramsinks as well??

also, i just stumbled across this... has anyone every heard about it's success?

Logisys 3d edge FanKit

another question... lol! how can i check my case temp? i use ASUS probe for my CPU/Mobo temp and ATI Tool shows my Video Card's temp... but perhaps instead of buying new cooling solutions for them, I should check into adding more airflow through my case...

I have a Lian-Li PC-V1000B with the 2 stock 120mm fans (1 in front cooling hdds, and 1 in rear sucking air out with heatsink fan blowing towards it).

Should I consider adding more airflow via more fans, instead of buying new vga/chipset coolers first? If so, where would I see the most decrease in system temps from adding fans? A blowhole drawing air in? Add a few side fans (1 in at my VC & another out?) lol.. so many questions.. so little time!

a side blowhole will always help out, but i dont think you would see huge results by adding more fans, sounds like you have a decent setup already

as for ramsinks, i believe the arctic silencer 4 has those builtin, they arent the best but should get the job done, plus the silencer will shoot the hot videocard exhaust straight outside the case, lowering temps inside the case by a significant amount, that alone is nice to have

Here's something I'm working on designing my newest system for. theres a few issues.... but, it offers many more pro then cons..... it's just in the fine tuning of the design now.

http://www.eicsolutionsinc.com/200.htm

They cost bucks, upwards close to a grand, but for my winter mod.... it's gonna freeze :)

XP-120 for the cpu

and the best way to cool a video card is with an older heatsink.

i'm seeing some hateage on the xp120 already... looks like the only benefit is the quieter sound...

i've narrowed my choices down to these 3... however, i'm not real sure how much of a gain on temp i'll actually notice. the thermaltake silenttower i have now is sooo quiet, but it idles at 44c and hits 55c at load....

which one? and why!?

CoolerMaster Hyper 6
Zalman CNPS7000 AlCu
Thermalright SLK-948

Don't say you don't care if it's loud unless you really mean that. Just a single Vantec Tornado on the CPU will make your system very, very loud.

IceWeasel, just wanted to followup on that above post. Even if the rest of your system is quiet, throwing one loudass fan in there will make things unbearably loud (I used to have one of the old delta loud ass 60mm fans. Replaced every other fan in my case with very quiet panaflo's and it didn't make a bit of difference in overall system sound until I replaced the delta as well)

slk-948 is what i have on my a64 and i have a sunon 92mm fan, cools it off nicely. the tornado is LOUD. no doubt about that, but if you dont have to sleep with it guess it would be ok :p

I have a Coolermaster Hyper 6

if itll keep my prescott under 52c Load, what more can you ask

it is damn big though, and a bitch to install

just because it is more silent? the xp90 looks like it may do a slightly better cooling job for the price

IceWeasel said:
just because it is more silent? the xp90 looks like it may do a slightly better cooling job for the price

heatsinks create zero noise....

Advil said:
Don't say you don't care if it's loud unless you really mean that. Just a single Vantec Tornado on the CPU will make your system very, very loud.
I concur, I got rid of my Tornado for just that reason.

Check out The Listening Room at Sidewinder Computers.

That Delta 80 x 38 EHE is a Tornado. Vantec just buys them and sticks their name on them. Also notice it is the loudest fan there. It sounds just like a handheld hairdryer.

Jason711 said:
heatsinks create zero noise....

Riiiiight, good one bud.

The XP120 will be a quieter solution because a person could go with a low rpm 120mm fan that still moves a fair amount of air and get decent temps.....as opposed to having to use a louder 92mm fan to accomplish the same airflow (or higher airflow) to acheive the same temps with less surface area.

I'd probly stay away from the XP120 though....from what I've heard/seen, people are complaining that it's giving about the same temps as their 948's and lower temps then their SP94's.....but it is quiter. It depends on what you're looking for in the cooler....if you want decent temps for a stock system with a low noise level then it probly would be best to get something like the XP120 with a 120mm Vantec Stealth fan. However, if high end performance is more up your alley then i would shy away from the XP120 and go with something a little more beefy and a louder 92mm fan moving more air. It's funny how everyone is recommending all these coolers and yet nobody as asked WHAT you're going to be doing with the comp in terms of clock speeds....or overclocking at all.

Personally I'd say the best bet for your cpu in all areas (wether you're overclocking or not) WOULD be the SLK948. It will allow you to be a quiet 92mm Panaflo L1A or Vantec Stealth for decent temps with low noise levels.....while you can always step up to a "bigger" fan if you feel the need to "upgrade" your temps a bit.

The VGA silencer is probly the best/easiest route to go with your video card....as it will help out with your case temps also, and it is extremely quiet. Again, there are other options for someone who's a little more hardcore....but they tend to be a little bit more DIY.....like what I'm doing to my 6800GT.....modding an SLK948 to bolt it onto my 6800GT and rig it up with a 36cfm TMD fan. ;)

I hope I could bring a little more clarity to the thread....as it seemed to be lacking some.

I'm not sure about a CPU cooler (I'm looking for one myself), but I highly recommend the Zalman HP80D GPU cooler, especially if you're willing to sacrifice a little noise. On my 9800XT, my temps dropped from (48C/64C) at XT speeds to (33C/38C) with a YS 120mm fan mounted on it (enough spare parts are included to mount a fan of your choice w/o buying the ZMOP1). That and it also looks badass. Just open the back PCI panels and whatever air you throw at it will go out the back anyway, no need for DHES.

However, installation is kinda a long process. It took me about 45 minutes and I already had experience with the HP80C. Oh yeah, I also used AS5, I'm not sure about performance with the included TIM, but I imagine it can't be much worse. If you really do care about noise, go for the Silencer, since it is better dB for dB from what I can tell, but it's limit is pretty low (i.e., it's fan is pretty quiet even on the highest setting) while with the HP80D you can put whatever fan you want onto it, which is great.

I got a 939 3500+ overclocked 300 mhz using a Zalman AlCu 7000+.

It's quiet, lightweight, it don't take too much space, and best of all it moves the heat generously. Best of all, it's readily available and inexpensive.

Note: Sig.

Psyko M.

I have always used Thermalright because Swiftech's bolted on, but since this is no longer the case, what about the MCX6400-V ? It can be seen here

Thanks, Bascoloco, I was just about to post on that one. I'm currently running the MCX6400-V on multibeast (link below) w/an 80mm Tt SmartFan & it's great. Low RPM's & fantastic cooling.

I have to give another thumbs up to the Hyper 6. I have it on my 3500+ in a tower and it's fine. I get BIOS temps around 104°F with a moderate fan speed of around 3300 RPMs with a Thermaltake Case Fan 2.

CM%20Window%20003%20(Small).jpg

Keith

PSYKOMANTIS said:
I got a 939 3500+ overclocked 300 mhz using a Zalman AlCu 7000+.

Almost all of the current A64's and P4's are really too hot to use the AlCu line...zalman is GREAT..but the aluminum ones should only be used with slow, last generation cpus. The only reason they made them at all was to be in the weight spec for Socket A...its cool to see people with the all copper one tear the socket clean off the mobo.. :)

-Bedlam

I just installed my xp-120 last night. Great heatsink. Haven't stress tested it as of yet but so far so good.

i'd have to say the thermalright xp-120 matched with the above fan, the delta ffb1212ehe (190cfm)...

Heh I had to register just to warn you:

If you have a Lian-Li PC-V1000, do not get the XP-120! It doesn't fit!

I have the exact same case as you (mine's black too!) and a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100, and despte my mainboard being compatible, the heatsink hits the bottom of the case. Every motherboard I've seen does not have enough clearance in the V1000. You need at least 1cm from the bottom of the mounting bracket to the edge of the board to even have a hope.

thanks Sarin, i really appreciate that!

i've recently started thinking about a Koolance Exos System..

someone is selling one on here, that I may purchase.. we shall see

Back