That game that everyone hates, but you love...

• Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
To chime in on the ME3 ending - I didn't pick one of the options presented I said hell with it turned around and shot the kid. Felt good lol.

Halo: ODST
Fable 2 and 3
XCom: Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within
Hell might as well throw X-Com: Terror From the Deep in there as well

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head

People didn't like Xcom: Enemy Unknown?

I don't remember if it was generally hated, but most of my friends wouldn't touch it with a stick:

Midtown Madness & Midtown Madness 2

They're basically the same game, but with different maps. I loved the graphics, the gameplay, and the handling, and on top of that there were a lot of great mods for it.

I thought it was one of the best boardgames ever made into a video game. If a person were to make a Descent 2.0 boardgame, I would want them to use that engine.

I actually liked Spore. Didn't meet the hype around the game but I still had a fun time playing it.

People didn't like Xcom: Enemy Unknown?

People like us will like it. Any of my average gamer friends would look at me like I had two heads when I tried to get them into it. It's one of those games that a lot of the "cult following" bitched about because of minor bugs. I mean, really minor. One of the best PC releases in the last decade really, lol. Bugs are a tradition in the series anyways.

For me I would say Darksiders II. It seemed to be decently received but ultimately forgotten with most people saying the first was better. It is probably one of my favorite games of all time, hit all the things I loved about games (puzzles, action, loot progression, RPG leveling, world traveling, fantasy).

I quit and sold my Darksiders 2 about a month after it came out. Solid gameplay, but definitely consistent, which is why I got bored. Good pick though.

NHL09 PC. Played to death in local with son with current roosters thanks to some fans. Graphics were "old gen" but still had tons of fun.

after reading through some of these games... I think next time we need some ground rule

some of the games listed definitely are generally liked and highly rated (Far Cry? STALKER??, Witcher 1???, Mass Effect 3????, KoToR2????, GTA4???????)

some games on this list are legit (Dragon Age 2 - Uggg.. DNF - Puke, Silent Hunter 5 - Painful)

Madden....um all the recent versions and all of its glitches! It really needs to be burnt to the ground and re-done. Its well over due for that.

The MMO Age of Conan. The game gets a lot of bad rap, but I really love it! I can't think of anything about it I don't enjoy. Music, combat, graphics, the Conan universe, fatalities, it's all good!

Trespasser. Ahead of its time. Loved it

Yes I liked it too. Controls were awkward but it's at least 20 years ahead of it's time. I still haven't seen anything like it, where you're really that much in control.

The MMO Age of Conan. The game gets a lot of bad rap, but I really love it! I can't think of anything about it I don't enjoy. Music, combat, graphics, the Conan universe, fatalities, it's all good!

I liked the game initially, but I was turned off by the sheer number of game breaking bugs and the lack of content at launch. By the time many of these issues were addressed I didn't care anymore.

after reading through some of these games... I think next time we need some ground rule

some of the games listed definitely are generally liked and highly rated (Far Cry? STALKER??, Witcher 1???, Mass Effect 3????, KoToR2????, GTA4???????)

some games on this list are legit (Dragon Age 2 - Uggg.. DNF - Puke, Silent Hunter 5 - Painful)

That was the first thing on my mind whenever people post threads like this it's always full of tard posts. "Name RPGs no one ever heard of " "OMG YOU GOTTA PLAY FF3 DUDE!!". Its really fucking annoying when people do that.

Viking: Battle For Asgard is an early ps3 title that I enjoyed. I don't think it garnered horrible reviews, but it wasn't lauded much either. But I enjoyed it enough to play through it more than once. It is way better than the Conan PS3 Game that I have too, but haven't been able to bring myself to finish. I thought Viking was a great hack and slash console game.

I liked Doom 3, enough to happily finish it. I found HL2 a chore to finish.

I liked Doom 3, enough to happily finish it. I found HL2 a chore to finish.

There is another topic for posting games that everyone liked but you didn't.

Doom 3 was just, bad.

And this is coming from a wad-maker, dwango-player of Doom II.

Even Quake 4 was better than Doom 3....

Doom 3 was just, bad.

And this is coming from a wad-maker, dwango-player of Doom II.

Even Quake 4 was better than Doom 3....

Take hate to the other thread. This thread is about loving games, not hating them.

Feel the love.

Nah, this thread is about hating threads about loving or hating games. :p

Gothic 3. people hate it because of stuttering and the chain stagger attacks and other flaws, but I loved it. Massive world, just tons and tons of content. Community patch to correct many problems.

Chaser: This is a great little game you should own if you like the original deus ex. More of a shooter. Pretty vast game, lots of fun.

I love LA Noir, wish they would make another.

Why? I get the whole detective angle... but I thought it was kind of poorly done. Movement was weird, when I played, he kept on moving off from where I wanted him to move. Looking at clues didn't really do anything interesting, its more or less just stare at this while he monologues. Combat was run of the mill. The questioning didn't hit me as spectacular either.

It apparently only takes a handful of vocal people to dislike a game for it to be something "everyone hates" :D

It apparently only takes a handful of vocal people to dislike a game for it to be something "everyone hates" :D

It's actually more of a challenge than I thought to come up with a game that everyone hates. I had a few good ones in my OP, but then I sort of ran dry for the most part. I can usually find something good about a game, even if it's not all that great. Even those ones (like the Ultima 8 and 9 examples) probably were more vocal classic Ultima fans screaming their heads off while others still enjoyed them. I found them to be great games with a few flaws really... Even with many Ubisoft games (which I think aren't that great,) there are plenty of people that think they are. It could just be a who's loudest thing...

Why? I get the whole detective angle... but I thought it was kind of poorly done. Movement was weird, when I played, he kept on moving off from where I wanted him to move. Looking at clues didn't really do anything interesting, its more or less just stare at this while he monologues. Combat was run of the mill. The questioning didn't hit me as spectacular either.

It is a story driven game, I like story driven games. I didnt play it for the combat, which was purposefully easy. I also enjoy the very accurate rendering of 1940's Los Angeles, before they started tearing everything down.

Anyways, loved it, been playing it again. There is plenty to improve on of course, which is why a sequel set in 1950's San Francisco would be great, cause then they can fox the issues of the first, make it better, and make mopre money. :D

I still love Diablo 3. Played since beta. Still love it. I know it gets a bad rep at times, but I like it.

No One Lives Forever. The game's older, and got very little love, but was hilarious. Still have fond memories even though no-one's ever heard of it.

Mario RPG. Again, an older title, and received very bad reviews all the time. But I thought it was a cute variation of a theme.

SMITE. In my opinion, I think this is the better of the MOBAs. Yes, not nearly as popular and has tons of flaws, but the "first-person-ish" feel brings a better element to the game than all the top-down MOBAs. Yes, it is becoming a rage-fest, but I still enjoy the game. I play casual, which is also a hated past-time, but I like it.

Mario RPG. Again, an older title, and received very bad reviews all the time. But I thought it was a cute variation of a theme.

Really? I had no idea. I just got it one day and fell in love with it. One of my all time favorite RPGs.

Elder Scrolls Online - this has the most addictive and dynamic pvp I've ever played.
I really, really, really wanted to like ESO. But, it just never had the magic that the previous Elder Scrolls games had. I can't put my finger on any one thing, but Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind ... I played those things for hours. Never got into ESO in that way.

I actually liked Spore. Didn't meet the hype around the game but I still had a fun time playing it.

my spirit animal

Really? I had no idea. I just got it one day and fell in love with it. One of my all time favorite RPGs.

Yeah, it came out among many other RPGs at the time, and it was accused of "cashing-in" on the genre's popularity. It was called a generic RPG with the Mario label slapped on. I almost didn't get it when I did because everyone was basically saying, just go get a "real" RPG instead.

I loved Mario RPG when it came out and never heard a single bad thing said about it. Until today, of course. I thought it was a nice introduction to more action/timing-based RPG system later used Paper Mario and other RPGs like Vegrant Story (chaining attacks by precise timing)

Cryostasis
Ok sorry I cheerleader this one a bit too much I know, but at launch it was a graphical powerhouse but so unoptimized that the core audience couldn't even play it. To boot its an adventure game ala Bioshock. Still looks beautiful today.

fired this up, can actually play it for the first time. awesome

No One Lives Forever. The game's older, and got very little love, but was hilarious. Still have fond memories even though no-one's ever heard of it.

People not hearing about a game is not the same as everyone hating it.

I seem to remember it being pretty popular back in the day, but maybe it's been forgotten in time. I'm the 80s generation and was playing some of the greatest PC titles in the mid/late 90s, so the generation after me probably hasn't heard of or played NOLF. Definitely a classic, and such a great game. It's up there with the likes of Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Thief, etc.

Also Doom III. Granted it absolutely requires the Duct tape mod to be playable without being annoying but the game oozes with heavy metal atmosphere.

People not hearing about a game is not the same as everyone hating it.

I seem to remember it being pretty popular back in the day, but maybe it's been forgotten in time. I'm the 80s generation and was playing some of the greatest PC titles in the mid/late 90s, so the generation after me probably hasn't heard of or played NOLF. Definitely a classic, and such a great game. It's up there with the likes of Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Thief, etc.

NOLF was a fucking treasure. Never thought I would like the game when I read about it in a PC Gamer waaaaaaay back in the day. Bought it, and played the shit out of it. It got some pretty great reviews, so I definitely wouldn't say anybody hated it either.

Back