That game that everyone hates, but you love...

• Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 83233

Inspired by the "That game that's so popular with everyone, but you just can't..." thread, here's the opposite.

I'll kick this one off with some of my favorite games that people generally don't like too much.

RAGE. What can I say, I don't have any problems with this game either graphically, or gameplay-wise. It runs great, looks absolutely beautiful (short of some of the well know low-res indoor/underground textures.) Gun play is fun, the driving is fun (though I'm not a fan of the actual races. The last third could have been longer and better fleshed out. I blame the publisher on that one, as it was obviously a release timing thing.

I'll chime in with more later. I'm sure I have several more that fit this. :D

Edit: Ok, how about a couple more id games. :D Doom 3 and Quake IV. I like Doom 3 a lot more than Quake IV, but honestly had a blast playing both of them. I still play Doom 3 frequently both with mods, and completely unmodified. I think I'm one of the few who prefers Doom 3 to the originals, even having played the originals since the first Doom Alpha leak back in what '94(ish). The game hemorrhages atmosphere, has some of the coolest machinery I've ever seen in a game, it incorporates some emergent elements into the play with logs (ala System Shock though not quite as well done or integral) and really has a high level of polish. Quake IV I would rate similarly, but not to the same extent. The game starts off a little slow for my taste, but definitely picks up to where it should be later on.

Edit: Edit: Ultima VIII: Pagan - This game is ridiculously good. It was a departure from what people were used to with the original Ultima virtue system, party formation, etc. but then it was supposed to be. You were exiled to a place that didn't have the virtues, a really down-trodden society full of darkness, evil, etc. The game was about as atmospheric as it gets. The music was beautiful, the graphics are gorgeous, there was a ton to do, very cool locations, weapons, armor to discover with extensive back-stories to find and read about as you played through. The idea of the elemental titans was cool, and taking their power was even cooler. The casting system was a little bit on the clumsy side, especially the sorcery (using the pentagrams) but overall this game was every bit as good as the previous ones. I feel like people just complained so loudly because it wasn't yet another extension of the same game like the previous ones. This is right up there with the full Ultima VII.

While I'm at it, how about Ultima Ascension. Yes, it was a buggy abomination when it was released, and would barely run. Yes, the world was highly truncated in comparison to U6/U7. The voice-acting was atrocious as well. However, if you get the dialog patches, a graphic update or two, the final patch, the community patch, turn off the voices and go with text like the earlier games, what's left is a pretty decent game. One that is still a bit of a departure from previous Ultima games, and maybe bordering on non-canon. However, there are tons of cool places to explore, tons of side quests, things to discover on your own, weapons full of lore with real history behind them (much like U8) places that you come upon and wonder, "what happened to this place?!?!" etc. It really pulls you in if you let it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonic Adventure

is one in particular that seems to live in infamy but I loved it. Huge game too. Once you unlock everyone its more like 6 fairly unique stories and gameplaythroughs.

countinuing to games that carry a stigma but I enjoyed.

Risen
Buggy mess, without quicksave unplayable but I thought the design and graphics were pretty impressive at the time. I liked it a lot.

Cryostasis
Ok sorry I cheerleader this one a bit too much I know, but at launch it was a graphical powerhouse but so unoptimized that the core audience couldn't even play it. To boot its an adventure game ala Bioshock. Still looks beautiful today.

Thats all I can think off looking at my steam list. I'm a little better at noting great games people have never heard of like Dragon Force for Sega Saturn and GemFire for Snes. Singularity was really good but got ignored mostly.

I could post a couple others whos popularity is questionable but I don't wanna be that jackass who posts dumb shit on here like "I loved Skyrim, everyone hates it". Someone will post something like that and when you do. I want you to know everyone wishes youd stick your dick in a lightsocket.

Not so much that people "hate" but I certainly love Pac Man WAY more than I should. Especially the latest championship editions.

I've always wanted to play Cryostatis, but can't find it at this point. (granted I always forget about it, and haven't tried scouring the earth for it yet) The idea was intriguing, and if I can dig it up somewhere now, I'll definitely give it a whirl.

Deadly Premonition, It's kind of a cult classic though so don't think it counts. Just can't think of anything else.

I'm with you, OP, I love the original Doom 3. I never understood the monster closet argument everyone like to make. Are they not supposed to place enemies around the map? The flashlight thing never seemed reasonable to me, either. I stopped playing the BFG version because in my opinion the over-the-shoulder light ruined the experience.

Alpha Protocol:
Loved the mission structure and real-time decision making, even though the story and voice acting were very cringeworthy. Not to mention it suffered from a lot of bugs like most Obsidian offerings. I really wish though that more games would be made with the RPG structure and progression like Mass Effect.

Star Wars: The Old Republic. A mixture of nostalgia, a great guild, and excelling as a healer class kept me playing for a year. I just recently picked it back up again.

Star Wars: The Old Republic. A mixture of nostalgia, a great guild, and excelling as a healer class kept me playing for a year. I just recently picked it back up again.
I've been meaning to give it a try at some point. Are there any restrictions to your account if you don't spend any money?

My online buddies hate when I play:

Warframe.
Euro Truck Simulator 2.
Minesweeper
Or any strategy game.

Basically if you interrupt me while I am playing one of these to convince me to play the flavor of the month that is out, I will stop playing altogether and go to bed. Everything else is boring to me nowadays. You have to catch me playing BF4, CoD, etc and ask me to play with you. I'll drop them in a heartbeat for some multiplayer with a buddy.

Ha ha getting old and grouchy I suppose. :)

Sonic Adventure

is one in particular that seems to live in infamy but I loved it. Huge game too. Once you unlock everyone its more like 6 fairly unique stories and gameplaythroughs.

There is NO SHAME in like Sonic Adventure 1 or 2. I own them both on DC, GC, 360, and PC. Great games for real.

TERA.
Because its not P2W and I still haven't found a fantasy MMO with such a satisfying fighting system. I played back in 2013, picked it back up after the last expansion, still having fun just attacking anything that moves. Got my warrior to lvl 40 in the last 2 months.

Far Cry

Maybe it wasn't hated, but everyone labelled it a tech-demo with no substance.
But I finished it at least eight or ten times. On realistic difficulty it becomes one of the best tactical shooters.

The same can be applied to Crysis, and Crysis Warhead too. Crysis 2 was too locked in
with it's city environments, so I didn't like that much.

Dragon Age 2

This game was really slapped around by many and I still hear today from time to time how bad it was.
But I liked it more than DA:Origins, in fact I liked it much more.
Much better story, much better characters, much better combat.

DeusEx: Invisible War

Granted it ran like a dead sloth on most PCs at it's release, and suffered from third degree
consolitis, but there was something in it, that sucked me right in. Now looking back,
I think it's very similar to Mass Effect, how it plays.

Need for Speed: The Run

It has it's flaws but I quite enjoyed it non the less. I think the action sequences
everyone bashed were a very good distraction from the racing.

There were probably more but I can't think of any now.

Rage and Doom 3 were relatively successful. There were grumblings about it here by some cry-babies who act like carmack is secretly molesting them daily...

I've been meaning to give it a try at some point. Are there any restrictions to your account if you don't spend any money?

I'm a 'preferred' account, meaning I subbed when the game first came out, but no longer sub. I'm not sure if this grants different 'restrictions' than someone who starts playing today as a fresh account. But yeah, there are some general restrictions (lower XP gain, general appearance restrictions). But from what I hear, you still are able to enjoy the story (there's a shit load of story between the various classes), and you can still participate in PvP games and Operations. It's really a no brainer if you enjoy Star Wars in general.

Supreme Commander 2

Didn't "love" it, per se, but I did find it enjoyable for awhile under the right circumstances. Pretty much universally hated, though. I was a huge fan of TA and SupCom, and I admit it was not the same, but for what it was I enjoyed it.

I'll go with DA:2 as well. They really fucked the players with the reused garbage and pared down inventory, etc etc, but I really like the way the story actually conveyed, fairly well, significant passage of time and your characters advancement in society.

Elder Scrolls Online
I've been playing the crap out of this game on PS4.

The PVP is the best I've ever played in an MMO.
Yet, it still has mixed reviews at best and continues to decline in popularity.

Destiny.

It's more popular than people care to admit. However, a lot of people don't like the game...yet, the game is more popular than people care to admit.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R SOC
Witcher 1
To the Moon. (i think this is more that no one takes the time to play it than they hate it.)
Masseffect 3 (didnt mind the ending)

There is NO SHAME in like Sonic Adventure 1 or 2. I own them both on DC, GC, 360, and PC. Great games for real.

I also love Sonic Adventure! It's right up there with Sonic 2/3/and Knuckles for me on the scale of Sonic games.

Right now I've moved from Civ. V to Civ. BE and enjoying it.

Supreme Commander 2

Didn't "love" it, per se, but I did find it enjoyable for awhile under the right circumstances. Pretty much universally hated, though. I was a huge fan of TA and SupCom, and I admit it was not the same, but for what it was I enjoyed it.

This game was made for multiplayer, was a blast on many a LAN game for me. Simpler, faster pace puts you right in the action faster.

FMV games (Night Trap, Ground Zero Texas etc. etc.)
Way of the Warrior (for you young'uns it was fighting game on the 3DO console and Naughty Dog's first game)
Doom 3
Prey
Shadows of the Empire
MGS2
Unreal Tournament 3
Empire: Total War

Last edited:
Dragon Age 2

This game was really slapped around by many and I still hear today from time to time how bad it was.
But I liked it more than DA:Origins, in fact I liked it much more.
Much better story, much better characters, much better combat.

Oh my god no. A step back in every single way possible.

Experience Dragon Age like you've never before by spending an unreasonable amount of time running around a city helping 1-dimensional characters incapable of wiping their own ass. Finally the main plot point starts to move a little, you get into an actual boss battle where there's some semblance of strategy...

... and the game immediately goes back to you being in the same fucking city where you once again are drowning in mediocre side quests - running through the same fucking shit dungeons that occasionally just end up being mirrored.

game i love that NO one knows about is called Madballs in babo: invasion

Great singleplayer , incredible multiplayer , but now its completely dead.

too bad , really some of the best MP i played ever.

Gothic series:
A lot of people bemoan the combat in the Gothic games, but I enjoyed the combat system. The world was gritty, and fairly real (at least for its time). I also liked how they typically used stronger monsters to keep you out of areas, rather than invisible walls, and other gimmicks.

Risen:
It's the spiritual successor of Gothic. Again, I don't feel the combat system is as bad as people seem to think it is.

Duke Nukem Forver
I enjoyed this game, and had fun playing it. They changed things up enough that it didn't feel like you're doing the same thing over and over again. It's not the greatest thing ever, but it wasn't nearly that bad.

Yeah there are. But you can do the level 1-50 thing and get all the stories without paying into it. It's enough to decide whether you want to subscribe or not.

Masseffect 3 (didnt mind the ending)

I can't understand how anyone could do anything but hate that utter crap. I was going to bring up ME3 though because after the Extended Cut DLC and the additions of other DLCs that flesh out the story more, I'm quite pleased with the overall game. The ending still isn't fantastic, but I can watch it now and resign myself to: "It will do." The current endings aren't what I wanted, but they are complete enough that I can live with them. Although the Synthesis ending is fucking horse shit and always was and forever will be.

game i love that NO one knows about is called Madballs in babo: invasion

Great singleplayer , incredible multiplayer , but now its completely dead.

too bad , really some of the best MP i played ever.

I had heard some glowing reviews of that game from the community, but I don't remember any publications giving it any love.

A game that no one I know has either heard of let alone enjoyed was Crimson Skies for PC. The xbox version was terrible, but I loved the PC version.

Kotor 2, thought was great albeit buggy
Halo ODST (excellent campaign if you go in expecting something short and dont pay 60$ for it)
Max Payne 3 (thought was best in series)
Fable 1-3
to name a few

Far Cry 2. Almost always comes up in any "shit games" thread, usually to a chorus of "omg worst game EVER!". Yes, the checkpoint respawning was bad. Yes, the malaria mechanic was bullshit. Yes, the game was missing pretty much all of the depth they promised. But the overwhelmingly nihilistic tone was amazing, visually it was excellent (although it hasn't aged particularly well), and I'd take its off-beat Jackal "story" over the chest-beating, whiny, emo bro bullshit and mystical twattery of FC3 any day. It's a game hated by the sort of players who are mostly interested in "challenge" and "beating" games, rather than just soaking in them like a nice warm bath. Oh, and the minimalist UI was fantastic, and should be a standard for all shooters.

GTA 4. Ok, it's not really a "hated" game, but it's generally considered the weakest of the more recent installments in terms of characters and story. But I really liked Niko. I liked the world-weariness, the fact that he was in a dark place but while he didn't like it, he wasn't afraid of it. Roman was an annoying ++++, no question, but I found more depth in Niko than I did in "Hahaha, he's a pyscho! Hahaha!" Trevor, or "pick any interchangeable thug character Michael Madsen has ever played" Michael, or "could have been an interesting character if he hadn't been relegated to being Michael's sidekick" Franklin. Also, a lot of the shittier stuff ("Cousin! Let's go bowling!") could safely be ignored. I replayed GTA4 over and over, but while I enjoyed 5 I haven't yet been tempted to relaunch it since completing the main story and side missions.

I can't understand how anyone could do anything but hate that utter crap. I was going to bring up ME3 though because after the Extended Cut DLC and the additions of other DLCs that flesh out the story more, I'm quite pleased with the overall game. The ending still isn't fantastic, but I can watch it now and resign myself to: "It will do." The current endings aren't what I wanted, but they are complete enough that I can live with them. Although the Synthesis ending is fucking horse shit and always was and forever will be.

It's hard because Mass Effect 3 was great until the end. Maybe the best of the three gameplay and combat wise. And it has the best character moments of the series (even without the citadel DLC), plus the atmosphere of the impeding end, comes trough very well on every level of the game.

But all everyone remembers and judges it by: the ending. Yes it was terrible, and the extended cut only made it worse, by introducing more fallacies to explain the ones already in the ending. But their biggest failure: they had the chance to go indoctrination theory, but didn't take it. Yes it's fan fiction, but it beats the face value ending any day.

Final Fantasy VIII is definitely one that stands out

Agreed. It baffles me why people think it's the "best" ending, and will defend it at length. Same for control. The whole trilogy, your mission was to stop the reapers. Then when starbrat comes along, Shepard just buys in to it's story wholesale. I for one if in the shoes of the player character most definitely did NOT go through all that just to throw it all away - especially with my LI begging me to come back to her at the end of the trench run, and previously offering to help her build her home on her homeworld. So, destroy it is.

It's hard because Mass Effect 3 was great until the end. Maybe the best of the three gameplay and combat wise. And it has the best character moments of the series (even without the citadel DLC), plus the atmosphere of the impeding end, comes trough very well on every level of the game.

But all everyone remembers and judges it by: the ending. Yes it was terrible, and the extended cut only made it worse, by introducing more fallacies to explain the ones already in the ending. But their biggest failure: they had the chance to go indoctrination theory, but didn't take it. Yes it's fan fiction, but it beats the face value ending any day.

And the fourth "ending" - reject, was most definitely a troll ending by Hudson and Walters. It's a big 50' middle finger to fans (which also applies to a certain character almost non-reveal - a quickly done photoshop, when an in-game model or even hand drawn artwork would have been better). Hopefully, should EA greenlight a remake, BioWare will fix this and give a more satisfying end to what is otherwise one of the greatest sci-fi and game trilogies around. Also, compared to 2, certain character interactions are lacking or non existent compared to the writer's favorites - a disservice to fans of certain other characters. But I'm not going to get into it.

As for the horrible lightmapping or questionable texture resolution, and lack of gamepad support for a game clearly designed for it - it's inexcusable for a game made in 2012.

Last edited:

Agreed. It baffles me why people think it's the "best" ending, and will defend it at length. Same for control. The whole trilogy, your mission was to stop the reapers. Then when starbrat comes along, Shepard just buys in to it's story wholesale. I for one if in the shoes of the player character most definitely did NOT go through all that just to throw it all away - especially with my LI begging me to come back to her at the end of the trench run, and previously offering to help her build her home on her homeworld. So, destroy it is.

I don't understand that either. It basically means "let's become the borg". And control is what you fought against during the entire game with Cerberus, and at the end you do that very thing?

But IMO destroy is a bad ending too: Mass relay network destroyed = everyone stuck at the system they're at when you pull the trigger. Which basically means 90% of able forces near the sol system.

And the fourth "ending" - reject, was most definitely a troll ending by Hudson and Walters. It's a big 50' middle finger to fans (which also applies to a certain character almost non-reveal - a quickly done photoshop, when an in-game model or even hand drawn artwork would have been better). Hopefully, should EA greenlight a remake, BioWare will fix this and give a more satisfying end to what is otherwise one of the greatest sci-fi and game trilogies around. Also, compared to 2, certain character interactions are lacking or non existent compared to the writer's favorites - a disservice to fans of certain other characters. But I'm not going to get into it.

As for the horrible lightmapping or questionable texture resolution, and lack of gamepad support for a game clearly designed for it - it's inexcusable for a game made in 2012.

I can agree for the most part, but I can't agree with it "being made" for a gamepad. The game's better with a mouse and keyboard. Fuck trying to shoot at stuff with a controller.

I can agree for the most part, but I can't agree with it "being made" for a gamepad. The game's better with a mouse and keyboard. Fuck trying to shoot at stuff with a controller.

This is the second time in a few weeks that I'm reading that ME3 was made for gamepad. I've never even heard this nonsense before that. I don't know where it came from. Every shooter is better with a mouse, unless it's pumped full with autoaim. Which doesn't make it better on a gamepad just makes it equally bad on mouse/keyboard.

Silent hunter 5
Beautiful game, just don't ask a silent hunter fan what they think of it. Shame there will never be another game like it.

Dead island
I thought the atmosphere was well done and the gore is still unmatched. I liked being able to manually swing weapons as well, shame they removed the controls for the mouse.

Someone mentioned stalker, im pretty sure stalker is still well loved unless something has changed. I remember it being hated due to hardware incompatibilities and stability but not for the game itself. I would take a new stalker over fallout 4 any day.

Far Cry

Maybe it wasn't hated, but everyone labelled it a tech-demo with no substance.
But I finished it at least eight or ten times. On realistic difficulty it becomes one of the best tactical shooters.

I agree completely. Though the last fight on realistic is insanely difficult.

I can't believe I'm just now thinking about this. I really like the Force Unleashed II. I know that game went over like a turd in a punch bowl but I enjoyed it a lot. While I do see the problems in the repetitive level design and the weak story, I still found the gameplay to be much improved over the original. The game was a ton of fun for me and I've replayed it probably half a dozen times or so.

Back