Texting Woman Walks Into Path Of Train

Zarathustra[H];1041480218 said:
Who said I was texting and driving? :p

I have occasionally glanced at my phone when stopped at a light, but it is rare, like when someone is sending me an address and I am already on the road or something.

But even if I were, the horn isn't there to express your annoyance at the fact that others are doing it or something else you disagree with. Its there to alert others of an impending accident or immediately dangerous situation.

It doesn't matter. Texting and driving is dangerous no matter what even when you're idle on a green light. I live near a freeway exit where the city has yet to redesign it. The issue is that the exit gives 1500 feet and during the rush hour, people have to get OFF the freeway on the emergency lane of the freeway itself to get into the queue. When some dumbfuck at the green light is idling because he's getting a text from a girlfriend or whatever the fuck, he's creating a dangerous situation for those who are waiting at the rear to actually get off the freeway. The speedlimit is 70 and there's been plenty of accidents where a person rear ended another car due to this situation. So, preach on about how texting and driving is not dangerous and why honking the horn to a texting driver is a no-no.

It doesn't matter. Texting and driving is dangerous no matter what even when you're idle on a green light. I live near a freeway exit where the city has yet to redesign it. The issue is that the exit gives 1500 feet and during the rush hour, people have to get OFF the freeway on the emergency lane of the freeway itself to get into the queue. When some dumbfuck at the green light is idling because he's getting a text from a girlfriend or whatever the fuck, he's creating a dangerous situation for those who are waiting at the rear to actually get off the freeway. The speedlimit is 70 and there's been plenty of accidents where a person rear ended another car due to this situation. So, preach on about how texting and driving is not dangerous and why honking the horn to a texting driver is a no-no.

I hate people using their phones when driving just as much, but if someone at the end of the line got rear ended, it has nothing to do with the person in front texting... If they had moved right away it would still take time to see that movement all the way in the back, and by then, they are just inching forward at a few MPH. If someone hits rams a car in the back of the line, it's because they are an idiot not paying attention (maybe they were texting..). It has nothing to do with the guy in front. He could have jumped the gun and started moving while the light was still red, and the guy in the back still would have been rear ended....

So, preach on about how texting and driving is not dangerous and why honking the horn to a texting driver is a no-no.

Well, think of it this way. Is your honking more likely to help or more likely to hurt the situation?

Is it going to alert someone to the pedestrian they are about to hit, or is it going to startle someone, cause them to take off before they are ready and maybe cause another accident?

It is not a tool to express frustration or annoyance, it is a tool to use in emergencies.

I live near a freeway exit where the city has yet to redesign it. The issue is that the exit gives 1500 feet and during the rush hour, people have to get OFF the freeway on the emergency lane of the freeway itself to get into the queue. When some dumbfuck at the green light is idling because he's getting a text from a girlfriend or whatever the fuck, he's creating a dangerous situation for those who are waiting at the rear to actually get off the freeway.

The law very clearly states it is the responsibility of any driver on the road to leave enough space to the car in front of them such that they can stop if needed. I know most people don't obey this. WAY too many people tailgate, but that doesn't change the fact.

I'm not defending texting behind the wheel at all, but If we are honest I think we can all admit to ourselves that we have done it at least once or twice, hopefully while standing still.

There are many reason someone could be distracted and not gun it the moment the light turns green. Kids in the back seat, car radio, glare from the sun, not knowing which direction they are turning, spilling their coffee, etc. etc. etc.

The person laying on the horn when someone doesn't take off fast enough for their expectations is IMHO the obnoxious prick in this scenario.

I hate people using their phones when driving just as much, but if someone at the end of the line got rear ended, it has nothing to do with the person in front texting... If they had moved right away it would still take time to see that movement all the way in the back, and by then, they are just inching forward at a few MPH. If someone hits rams a car in the back of the line, it's because they are an idiot not paying attention (maybe they were texting..). It has nothing to do with the guy in front. He could have jumped the gun and started moving while the light was still red, and the guy in the back still would have been rear ended....
The problem is in the time span that it takes for someone who is texting to react, 10-15 cars would have gone through and then you multiply this by the number of idiots in the queue doing the "stop and check my text", it's quite significant and prolongs the line. It's like the idiots that drives in the fast lane doing the "I'm going the speed limit, no need to move to the right." and they are intentionally creating traffic. The whole idea of driving is to keep moving safely from A to B and not adding elements to that such as inattentively driving, attempting to text while driving, driving while mad, driving while drunk, driving under the influence, and the list goes on.

Zarathustra[H];1041480299 said:
I'm not defending texting behind the wheel at all, but If we are honest I think we can all admit to ourselves that we have done it at least once or twice, hopefully while standing still.
Only someone who texts while driving would think that everyone else also texts while driving. I managed to run a red light and caused a collision because I was talking to someone on the phone. Any distraction can be dangerous.

The law very clearly states it is the responsibility of any driver on the road to leave enough space to the car in front of them such that they can stop if needed. I know most people don't obey this. WAY too many people tailgate, but that doesn't change the fact.

There are many reason someone could be distracted and not gun it the moment the light turns green. Kids in the back seat, car radio, glare from the sun, not knowing which direction they are turning, spilling their coffee, etc. etc. etc.

The person laying on the horn when someone doesn't take off fast enough for their expectations is IMHO the obnoxious prick in this scenario.
The law in YOUR STATE. Tailgating has nothing to do with this situation so I don't know why you're adding it. Clearly you don't understand the situation here. They're getting OFF the freeway but when it's a two-lane freeway especially where I'm from is a high commerce traffic area so trucks are a huge obstacle to work around. So many factors comes into play and you think you have the answer to everything. You don't. Texting and driving, it can fucking wait when you get home or wherever your destination. The excuse that "We all do it once in a while" is not true and doesn't apply to everyone. I don't do it, period.

You're acting as if people are "gunning" the green light. They're not. They're getting pissed because they're holding up traffic which incidentally creates traffic jam. "Oh fuck, cops, I better slow down to 40 MPH, the minimum speed even though the speed limit is 65MPH."

The problem is in the time span that it takes for someone who is texting to react, 10-15 cars would have gone through and then you multiply this by the number of idiots in the queue doing the "stop and check my text", it's quite significant and prolongs the line. It's like the idiots that drives in the fast lane doing the "I'm going the speed limit, no need to move to the right." and they are intentionally creating traffic. The whole idea of driving is to keep moving safely from A to B and not adding elements to that such as inattentively driving, attempting to text while driving, driving while mad, driving while drunk, driving under the influence, and the list goes on.

To get 10-15 cars through a light that just change to green would take like 15-20 seconds, and much longer for that movement to reach 1500'+ back (That's over 150 cars, and does not include the length of cars illegally using the shoulder). I don't know where you live, but in LA you have like a second to start moving at a green before the 3 people behind you lay on their horns until you do. So yea, those accidents are 100% caused by the idiot in the back not paying attention, and has nothing to do with the guy at the front texting.

Like I said, using phones while driving is completely stupid and extremely dangerous, but your example does not apply.

To get 10-15 cars through a light that just change to green would take like 15-20 seconds, and much longer for that movement to reach 1500'+ back (That's over 150 cars, and does not include the length of cars illegally using the shoulder). I don't know where you live, but in LA you have like a second to start moving at a green before the 3 people behind you lay on their horns until you do. So yea, those accidents are 100% caused by the idiot in the back not paying attention, and has nothing to do with the guy at the front texting.

Like I said, using phones while driving is completely stupid and extremely dangerous, but your example does not apply.
Oh, no it applies alright. It impedes traffic period. The drivers should be actively paying attention and watching for the light signals to change. Also the average car length is 14 feet so that's less than you're suggesting. But since most people drive trucks, it's about 18-19 feet, I drive a Civic myself though. Then you add the combination of tractor trailers which are up to 65 feet in the B-train configuration. So with 2 tractor trailers, 25 trucks, 25 cars, that's 1000 feet if there are 3 feet in between them.

HlnOotQ.png

This is the bottleneck I'm talking about here. Each blue line is 200 feet. Most of the traffic is trying to go left as most of the drivers lives on that side of the freeway, less so on the right side. So not 1500 feet but rather up to 1200 feet depending on how bad the traffic gets. Of course that's a two lane freeway. Like I said, it's an extremely dangerous situation that texting drivers are creating by impeding the traffic from getting off the freeway safely. Adding at least 5 seconds to the traffic to flow through significantly impacts the drivers. The nearest exit is 10 miles down the road.

Only someone who texts while driving would think that everyone else also texts while driving. I managed to run a red light and caused a collision because I was talking to someone on the phone. Any distraction can be dangerous.

Texting and driving, it can fucking wait when you get home or wherever your destination. The excuse that "We all do it once in a while" is not true and doesn't apply to everyone. I don't do it, period.

I agree that texting while driving is a bad idea and dangerous, and I don't text while drive.

I have on occasion - though very rarely - glanced at my phone at the red light, if it contains some information I need, and this is perfectly acceptable.

I'm not engaging in heavy conversation and getting distracted to the point where I'm creating a delay, but as biznatch stated, even if I were, the impact would be minimal at best, cars would still be backed up onto the highway, and the fault lies solely with the person smashing into someone on the highway, and no one else.

Zarathustra[H];1041480564 said:
I'm not engaging in heavy conversation and getting distracted to the point where I'm creating a delay, but as biznatch stated, even if I were, the impact would be minimal at best, cars would still be backed up onto the highway, and the fault lies solely with the person smashing into someone on the highway, and no one else.
The point is that while they're not directly responsible, they significantly contributed to the situation. Of course you don't see it that way and go "Tough shit if I blocked you off and you had to get hit by a driver behind you. Fuck you, got mine!".

The point is that while they're not directly responsible, they significantly contributed to the situation. Of course you don't see it that way and go "Tough shit if I blocked you off and you had to get hit by a driver behind you. Fuck you, got mine!".

Without exception in every single state if you impact another car from behind, you are at fault, unless said car cut you off.

I just did a quick google and can't find a single law anywhere that prohibits delaying at a green light.

There are lots of reasons people delay at green lights. It happens all the time. and it is not a safety issue. Back ups onto highways during rush hour happen all the time, with or without traffic lights, and if someone has an accident because of it, It would be an INCREDIBLE stretch to consider the person at the green light a contributing factor.

Zarathustra[H];1041480602 said:
Without exception in every single state if you impact another car from behind, you are at fault, unless said car cut you off.

I just did a quick google and can't find a single law anywhere that prohibits delaying at a green light.

There are lots of reasons people delay at green lights. It happens all the time. and it is not a safety issue. Back ups onto highways during rush hour happen all the time, with or without traffic lights, and if someone has an accident because of it, It would be an INCREDIBLE stretch to consider the person at the green light a contributing factor.
That's because it falls under "Impeding Traffic".

SECTION 22400 No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.

That's because it falls under "Impeding Traffic".

SECTION 22400 No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.

No, that is specifically about going too slow on the a highway, which is just as dangerous (if not more so) than speeding. It has nothing to do with delaying start at a green light. You are seriously grasping at straws here to back a usless argument, over a point that everyone agrees on....

Wow, good thing this is not your mother, sister or daughter guys. Only a low life wishes death on someone. Hope she will be able to recover well.

No, that is specifically about going too slow on the a highway, which is just as dangerous (if not more so) than speeding. It has nothing to do with delaying start at a green light. You are seriously grasping at straws here to back a usless argument, over a point that everyone agrees on....
No, a highway is a main road, any main road. A highway can have stop lights on it.

Zarathustra[H];1041480103 said:
Honking is supposed to be a tool used to alert others to danger. That is its only acceptable use. Not to rush other people.

Anyone tries to rush me in anything I do, I become defiant and instead make sure it takes MORE time.

That's quite a pompous and arrogant statement. In the grand scheme of things, it's a net loss for you to let people get under your skin that easily.

Retaliating towards someone honking is road rage. If you cause an accident by impeding traffic, not letting someone pass, etc, it's on you, and that angry guy behind you will be calm and composed in court when he testifies against you, same for the woman with kids that observes it all and calls 911.

I'm a big believer that you shouldn't try and legislate stupidity. I oppose mandatory seat belt and helmet laws, for example. I even think drinking and driving laws are too strident. Using a phone while driving sorely tests that conviction, though.

I can recall only a couple of times in my life where I've encountered another driver who was driving poorly enough that I thought alcohol might be involved; I'm lucky if I go a single day without seeing someone driving even worse than that because they're fucking with their phone.

I'm a big believer that you shouldn't try and legislate stupidity. I oppose mandatory seat belt and helmet laws, for example. I even think drinking and driving laws are too strident. Using a phone while driving sorely tests that conviction, though.

I can recall only a couple of times in my life where I've encountered another driver who was driving poorly enough that I thought alcohol might be involved; I'm lucky if I go a single day without seeing someone driving even worse than that because they're fucking with their phone.
Drinking laws are to prevent other people from being killed by something out of their control. In my county, the sheriff was drunk and hit a car at 100 MPH in his F-150. We have these laws to try and prevent people from driving drunk because it tells them of the consequences for driving drunk. Mandatory Seat Belt and Helmet Laws are not the same as driving laws.

Drinking laws are to prevent other people from being killed by something out of their control. In my county, the sheriff was drunk and hit a car at 100 MPH in his F-150. We have these laws to try and prevent people from driving drunk because it tells them of the consequences for driving drunk. Mandatory Seat Belt and Helmet Laws are not the same as driving laws.
Drinking laws, not driving laws.

I don't disagree with them, only how strident they're becoming in regards to lowering the BAC. Eventually taking a swig of mouthwash will get you a DUI if they keep it up.

OnlyRipeAfricanaugurbuzzard

People just need to pay attention to shit, and not focus on their phone all the damn time. There is a time and place to play with your phone. It's usually when things are calmed down and not a lot going on around you.

I don't disagree with them, only how strident they're becoming in regards to lowering the BAC. Eventually taking a swig of mouthwash will get you a DUI if they keep it up.

In our times of litigation and no personal accountability, I would expect things to continually get worse. I mean, we can't even have swings on a playground anymore because as soon as a child falls and gets hurt, the parents that were at home ignoring the child will sue the school, city, neighborhood hoa, etc... and win. The part where they win is the saddest statement of the state of our society.

My parents used to tell me if they did something stupid when they were kids and a neighbor or teacher caught them, the adult would discipline them, send them home, call their parents and they'd get another session from their parents. By the time I was a kid, neighbors and teachers didn't do anything but call anymore, but I'd still get the spanking I deserved from my parents. As I got older, the spankings and discipline, of any type, became frowned upon. Now if a neighbor or teacher calls about a misbehaving child, the parents yell at them for harassing their kid and the kid dares the parents to spank them.

And then we all wonder why people feel like they're entitled to do whatever they want, have no manners, and disrespect others... because they grew up believing that's ok behavior. Neither their parents or our government schools taught them a damn thing. Then they leave home and school and get out on their own and have no concept of what's appropriate, whether it's at work, at home, when they're driving, on the internet, with their own kids, or WALKING ACROSS A RAILROAD TRACK. And everyone is scared to say anything or tries to ignore the persons behavior for fear of litigation or retaliation.

So when you see someone on their phone, in the car, not paying attention, inconveniencing others, driving erratically, not ever admitting or acknowledging anyone else is on the road except them, or that they are in any way the problem or at fault... well, just remember, it's going to keep getting worse until we have some personal accountability or we implement more Orwellian measures to force people to comply. And the Orwellian measures are the mostly likely outcome, unless there's some major disaster or war that forces people to rethink their social and/or moral structures.

This woman struck by the train is the ultimate example of where the morally ambiguous and non-accountability path we're heading down leads to. Read the last line of the news article, "Two Amtrak trains were delayed during the investigation." The translation there is that literally hundreds of people were displaced and lost time and money because of her, never mind the railroad companies losses. You'll never recover any damages from her. She should be forced by a judge to personally apologize to everyone she inconvenienced because of her own stupidity. At least then she might begin to grasp the idea of consequences. But she'll probably be made out to be the victim. The only justice from this would have been if she took herself out in the process. Harsh perhaps, but justice none the less.

Zarathustra[H];1041478467 said:
That, and if someone honks at me, it usually just triggers "spite mode", where I stop, block them, give them the finger for 30 seconds, and then drive off VERY slowly.

While I agree with the sentiment... there's a downside to this. You get someone that's mentally unhinged or on drugs and they might ram you to run you off the road, or shoot at you, or both. If you have passengers, you might be jeopardizing their safety as well as your own over a bit of wounded pride.

Dude passed while honking and gunned it up to like 100mph, and then I passed him on the side of the road talking to the officer :p

Good that the officer caught him... Bad that you helped contribute to road rage. He could have lost control at that speed and caused a serious accident that resulted in someone else's fatality or serious injury. Yes, technically and legally it's his fault, but at the same time, why even take the chance?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not excusing douchebaggery of any kind on the road. I just don't see vengeful actions as part of the solution.

Zarathustra[H];1041478467 said:
The difference I see is one is very annoying, whereas the other is life threateningly dangerous.

That being said, sometimes people don't gun it the second the light turns green for other reasons, like spacing out in deep thought, or trying to queue up the next song on their stereo.

A few seconds aren't the end of the world. Just try to chill out on the road :p

That, and if someone honks at me, it usually just triggers "spite mode", where I stop, block them, give them the finger for 30 seconds, and then drive off VERY slowly.

Someone once did this to me at a light before an onramp to a highway. This was before cellphones had texting, and I wasn't delayed very long at all, but apparently the person behind me didn't think I gunned it fast enough. I blocked him, gave him the finger, then slowly pulled out onto the highway. As luck had it a grandmother was just driving by at 50. I pulled alongside at like 51mph (just barely passing speed, so it was still legal) and then remembered I had seen a speed trap ahead earlier in the day, and strategically pulled over to let him pass before it.

Dude passed while honking and gunned it up to like 100mph, and then I passed him on the side of the road talking to the officer :p

You don't want to trigger "spite mode". The more noise you make, the slower I will make sure you go. :p

That sounds like a good way to get shot. There are a lot of crazy drivers on the road and it is better to simply let them pass rather than try and make them angrier.

It is not a tool to express frustration or annoyance, it is a tool to use in emergencies. There are many reason someone could be distracted and not gun it the moment the light turns green. Kids in the back seat, car radio, glare from the sun, not knowing which direction they are turning, spilling their coffee, etc. etc. etc.
All of your examples demonstrate consequences outside of your control. You choosing to text on your phone and creating a distraction for yourself unnecessarily demonstrates a lack of respect worse than someone honking their horn at you. You are actually the bigger asshole in this scenario, the kind that needs to get his ass kicked every once and awhile apparently.

Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe the reason you get honked at so much isnt because everyone else is a douchebag, but maybe you're just a fuckin idiot?

I dont think I've ever been honked at in my life. Sure someone may honk inappropriately not realizing you are under tremendous distraction for things outside of your control, but texting on your cellphone DOES NOT QUALIFY. If you ever slow down traffic for this reason you are instantly king douche above all others at that moment no matter what they do. If someone honks while you're trying to wipe scalding coffee off your lap who gives a shit, let them honk, roll your window down and scream what happened, or just ignore it completely.

Back