Texting While Driving Up 50 Percent Despite Warnings

Did the survey separate questions about texted while stopped at a red light, texting while in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and testing while moving at a normal speed?

Did the survey separate questions about texted while stopped at a red light, texting while in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and testing while moving at a normal speed?

If you believe these are separate situations, you're part of the problem. :mad:

Yea, I'm sorry, but when I'm sitting at a 2 minute red light not doing anything, I'm going to reply to a text if I have one.

Yea, I'm sorry, but when I'm sitting at a 2 minute red light not doing anything, I'm going to reply to a text if I have one.

I think that is ok, but texting while you're moving and not paying attention to the road? Then nope.

Yea I see more people texting on the road now then before .. :/

Are you really going to stop typing a text when the light turns green? I hear this commonly, but I don't really think people stop texting the second the light turns green. At least not what I see in cars.

Plus, texting at a light means you're not watching properly for cars driving through a red light or the like. Hey, it's your ass on the line when you get t-boned for pulling through an intersection - but you were too busy texting to notice a dumbass driving through the red light.

Are you really going to stop typing a text when the light turns green? I hear this commonly, but I don't really think people stop texting the second the light turns green. At least not what I see in cars.

I don't know about you, but I don't need 2 minutes to respond to a text. I can get a text popped out in a 5-10 second stop, and if not, it's not like there won't be another red light in 30 seconds where I can finish it.

Anyway, if we're going to ticket people for texting, lets ticket them for using their GPS, their radio, yelling at their kids, talking to passengers, and so on. It's only fair, right?

I understand what you're saying but, I think it's indicative of an even greater problem facing society, the idea that many 'youts' have that if they're not doing something, anything, right now OMG, they're missing out/falling behind!

When was the last time you spent more than 5 minutes just wondering about the future/past, your dreams or, the world around you while doing nothing else?

The problem is not driving and texting. The problem is connectedness in general. I've almost hit people MANY times when they are texting and walk out in an intersection without even knowing it. It's the same thing. It won't stop until everything is completely automated.

The holier than thou attitudues of many of the posters in this thread is hilarious. I would bet money that almost all of them are guilty of texting/using cell phone while driving at one point or another.

The problem is not driving and texting. The problem is connectedness in general. I've almost hit people MANY times when they are texting and walk out in an intersection without even knowing it. It's the same thing. It won't stop until everything is completely automated.

The holier than thou attitudues of many of the posters in this thread is hilarious. I would bet money that almost all of them are guilty of texting/using cell phone while driving at one point or another.

Holier than thou, or just tired of seeing friends and family hurt or killed by some fuckhead that can't put their god damned phone down and just had to tweet that he/she bought a soda at the 7/11.

Holier than thou, or just tired of seeing friends and family hurt or killed by some fuckhead that can't put their god damned phone down and just had to tweet that he/she bought a soda at the 7/11.

As long as you've never done something that you shouldn't have which could have resulted in someone being hurt or killed.

My guess is you have.

As long as you've never done something that you shouldn't have which could have resulted in someone being hurt or killed.

My guess is you have.

You have guessed wrong then. I'll be glad when this generation of "i'm all that matters" is dead.

My guess is you have.

You don't see anything wrong with basing your behavior relative to others? :eek:

Welcome to 2011. If Bob jumped off a bridge, half the population would be dead.

Damn. we need to automate now! We'll be a nation of geezers and all the 'youts' will have killed themselves off. Who will I yell at to get off my lawn?

You don't see anything wrong with basing your behavior relative to others? :eek:

I think you completely missed what I was saying. I wasn't saying it texting and driving or anything else for that matter is "ok."

I said the holier than thou attitudes of many posters is laughable.

PUNISH THEM! TAKE THIS AWAY! TAKE THAT AWAY!

Most of the people making those types of statements probably take part in the activity.

That's not the answer anyway. Even with HUGE penalities for DUI, there are still many folks who get DUI's. Do I have a solution? Nope, but I know it's more complicated than simply imposing severe penalties.

I think you completely missed what I was saying. I wasn't saying it texting and driving or anything else for that matter is "ok."

Most of the people making those types of statements probably take part in the activity.

That's not the answer anyway. Even with HUGE penalities for DUI, there are still many folks who get DUI's. Do I have a solution? Nope, but I know it's more complicated than simply imposing severe penalties.

And there are even more people who drive drunk that never get caught.

I don't understand that mentality at all. Some people can get away with something, so we should just not do anything? Sure, some people get away with drunk driving (mostly buzzed drivers), but if there were no consequences, there would be a hell of a lot more accidents.

Maybe we shouldn't take away their license, we should take away their phone. They'd go insane inside of 2 hours.

They need to treat texting while driving the same as drunk driving. Immediate loss of license and you have to pay $2000 or more if you want it back. There is no excuse for typing on a fucking phone while you're supposed to be driving. Talking is different, I wish people wouldn't do it, but there are some reasons why they do, and at least they are looking at the road while talking.

What we really need is some kind of IQ test to go along with the driving test. 90% of car accidents would probably be avoided if people left more than 1.5 feet between themselves and the car in front of them, and put down the fucking makeup, phone, sandwich, newspaper, and tablet.

This. It's absurd.

By the way, big_aug, people making these types of statements aren't doing it to be holier than thou, but because it is the truth (and what they do).

My guess is you have.

No, I can't say that I ever have, son. Not everyone's a reckless tool.

Just this morning I almost got waxed because the guy I was riding with was doing this. We almost ran a major intersection and the only thing that stopped us from feeling the business end of a semi was the fact that ME as the PASSENGER was paying attention to the road. I looked over after he finished the panic-stop and he was still in the middle of texting his GF.

I don't text when I drive, and I don't answer the phone either. It can wait, really it can. Unless 911 is calling you to save the day, chances are whoever it is will be fine by the time you get to where you're going.

Lets put it into perspective, even at a slow speed of 40mph, lets say it takes you 3 seconds to type a text out. It probably takes longer than that, but your attention is off the road for 180 feet at least. That is a huge distance to have no idea whats going on in front of your 3500lb unguided missile. Add to that the close following distances people today take up, and the fact that the majority are probably speeding doesn't help. Talking and driving at least lets you see the road even if it takes you longer to react, texting just gives you tunnel vision to your phone, even if you keep looking up your brain is only processing what you're typing and not the events around you.

I live in a state with texting and cellphone use while driving bans, everyone still does it. Dickheads, all of them.

Yup, its amazing how often I see it happen in California. Then theres the people who hold the phone with one hand and use speakerphone to talk to someone. IT'S STILL ILLEGAL IDIOTS.

People thinking that texting while stopped in traffic is ok... are frankly very likely to end up dead at some point.

Depending on the are and who publishes the numbers 50-80% of ALL accidents occur at intersections. As such more then half of all fatalities on the road ways occur at an intersection... and often times involve at least one of the parties barely if at all moving. I have seen plenty of people hit the gas when the light turns green as they pop their head up from the phone... guess what at some point there going to do that and find a red light runner has squeezed them out the passenger side of their vehicle.

Phones in general in a car are a bad idea... even with a headset too be honest. Anything that takes your attention off the road is not a good idea. (especial if your barely moving and the idiots around you are rushing) Of course people will counter that someone in the car with you talking can be distracting. Don't be fooled by that silly argument. A person beside you will stop talking when they can see you need to concentrate... you are also likely to tune someone out if needed when there sitting beside you. When is the last time you asked someone on the phone to stop talking while you merged... or changed lanes (20-30% of the rest of the crashes are bad lane changes). Honesty headset or not cell phone use in cars is a bad idea.

My guess would be that at some point a group like Madd will form in much the same way Madd did to combat phone use in cars in general. Much like booze, there really isn't too much of a safe amount to be mixing with driving.

No, I can't say that I ever have, son. Not everyone's a reckless tool.

Right :rolleyes:

Anyway, they need to figure out a way to make people not want to text while driving or give them some alternate means of doing it.

And I never said that you shouldn't punish people because some folks get away with it. I said the answer is more complicated than a really stiff penality. It might deter the folks who get caught (doubtful), but it will do nothing to those who do it daily and are never caught.

Most people simply do not respond to warnings. Texting was recently made illegal in Maine and from what I can tell, it did not make a difference. Or maybe I just notice it more because the sun goes down at 4PM now and I see more people with phones lit up inside their car.

I typically ignore calls/texts while driving. On rare occasions when I consider the call very important will I pick it up, speaker phone definitely helps. I just don't understand how people are so obsessed with texting.

A few years ago when I was still in college coming back from a track meet late at night, the coach who was driving the school van starting texting... I had to tell her to stop. It's crazy that a coach who is responsible for kids is still willing to text and drive.

I do however use my phone for GPS and music, even while using those I am worried some cop will pull me over for cell phone use. Cops are dicks where I live.
GPS is much better than reading directions though, I can at least hear a voice or see a map of where I am right now.

People thinking that texting while stopped in traffic is ok... are frankly very likely to end up dead at some point.

Depending on the are and who publishes the numbers 50-80% of ALL accidents occur at intersections.

And how many of those occur with one of those vehicles being at a complete stop at the time of the accident? Almost none. Accidents occur at intersections because intersections are where multiple flows of traffic, you guessed it, intersect. If the traffic isn't flowing, the traffic isn't intersecting.

Someone stopped at a red light will almost never be the victim of an automobile accident. When they are, it'll be getting rear ended by someone who isn't paying attention, and there's nothing you can do about that, phone or no phone.

Submitted that message above before I was ready...

Anyway I don't see it taking too long before the auto policy makers standardize a system that prevents texts from being delivered or sent while someone is in motion. Or one that which requires phones to be registered to new vehicles, and the vehicles will disable the phone while driving. Vehicle safety is something that people can never have enough of, and we are at the point where they are trying to do overkill shit like increasing the size of curtain air bags solely to keep UNBELTED passengers inside the vehicle during a roll over. This whole texting problem seems like low hanging fruit that will soon be "fixed" since it will have a much bigger impact than items like further air bag redesigns to keep stupid people safe.

More info on the new air bags:

http://www.automotivedigest.com/con...tion on a warning sheet in the documentation.

They just need a phone to know if its moving at a certain speed and disable texting at that speed or higher. If all phones have a gps then this is perfectly doable.

They just need a phone to know if its moving at a certain speed and disable texting at that speed or higher. If all phones have a gps then this is perfectly doable.

I've thought of this too, but it would suck if you were on a bus or a train...

Wow, whatever happened to accountability? Part of being an adult is making decisions that will affect other people's lives. How are you going to feel if you maim or kill someone because you couldn't wait to read/respond to a text message while driving. Are you willing to pay the consequences? The person you killed/maimed didn't even have a choice. You think money will somehow compensate someone that has to live the rest of their life as a paraplegic? Have some respect for the lives of other people.

Exactly. The assholes always ruin it for everyone else.

This is exactly it. I have no issue with texting while the car is NOT in motion. However, living in the DC Metro area has turned me off to anything with a cell phone in a car. I've been nearly hit more times then I can count simply walking through the parking lot going into Harris Teeter. Not to mention the near misses on the roads. Even walking when texting is foolish at times (everybody remembers the Youtube video of the lady falling into the mall water fountain). I can't believe how many people get hit in DC in the early mornings due to not paying attention. News articles always say, person crossed and was texting.

Well opposite most other people on this thread... I vote -> Fight the Power! Good to see people saying a big FU to stupid laws that can't be enforced.

Only certain people can multitask well enough to do shit like this. No, you are probably not one of them. I am so leave me the fuck along and talk/text and drive!

You're probably the same idiot that damn near hit my wife and 8 week old son yesterday in the Best Buy parking lot because they were too busy talking on the phone while backing out of a parking space. Hope you enjoyed the vitriol I spewed your way along with the bird.

That said...I see people at 630am on the way to work who make phone calls as they're pulling out of their damn drive ways. Who the fuck do you need to call at 630am when you're leaving the house? It's like people can't stay away from being connected for more than 8 hours during sleep.

Simplest solution is crank up the fines for these tickets to a few hundred bucks a ticket. Hitting the pocket book hard will make most people think twice after they've been dinged once or twice.

Cellphone bans aren't even being enforced. I see people talking on their phones all the time in Chicago where only hands-free phones are permitted while driving. Jay walking isn't enforced either. I wouldn't be surprised if texting while driving isn't enforced either. I could be wrong but I think in my home town of Chesterton, texting while driving is a secondary offense, like not wearing seat belts. You'll only be fined if you get pulled over for primary offenses such as speeding or reckless driving or driving an unsafe vehicle.

Zarathustra[H];1038135408 said:
I've thought of this too, but it would suck if you were on a bus or a train...

Or if you're one of the many passengers in a car. Too many problems with the concept for sure. Plus what happens when you're some place where you can't get a GPS signal to confirm you aren't moving? You're just shit out of luck with no phone?

I worry about some of these folks who seem to think that the answer to everything is more legislation and more flawed, failure-prone electronic nannying.

At some point you just have to admit that the world isn't perfect, people make bad decisions, and sometimes other people suffer the consequences, and there's nothing you can do about it without ultimately making the world worse for it.

The only solution I can think of is equipping all vehicles with an interference emitter. While the car is ON you cannot use the cell phone in any way except to play games - and if someone does that while driving, they deserve to die.

It is possible to live without talking/texting while driving. I am 27 and have an ancient cell phone incapable of texting. I don't need to know what my friends are doing 24/7 and I save quite a bit of $$$ with a $15/3 month cell phone bill. (and yes I do have a good paying job so it's not due to that either)

The only solution I can think of is equipping all vehicles with an interference emitter. While the car is ON you cannot use the cell phone in any way except to play games - and if someone does that while driving, they deserve to die.

It is possible to live without talking/texting while driving. I am 27 and have an ancient cell phone incapable of texting. I don't need to know what my friends are doing 24/7 and I save quite a bit of $$$ with a $15/3 month cell phone bill. (and yes I do have a good paying job so it's not due to that either)

you're not always the only one in the car.

Of course. But as I said there is no reason why the other person in the car needs to stay connected 24/7 either.

Frankly it's none of your business what other people want to do with their lives.

Texting while driving proliferates because people are spending more and more time in-traffic. Make it so people spend less time driving sub 40 miles an hour (or stop and go) and you'll have a reduction in texting

Putting your questionable logic aside, I'm not sure trading one problem for another (higher speeds) would do much towards making our roadways safer.

I still see people talking on the phone while driving, good to see Bay Area police (not) cracking down on the idiots on the road, and I have seen the total pillocks texting at the wheel.

On one hand I wish it would snow in Silicon Valley (sort the wheat from the chaff), then on the other hand, I have seen these idiots lose control when it is just wet on the roads (and I don't want to be a casualty of their total lack of weather driving).

Zarathustra[H];1038132334 said:
Part of the problem is that they define driving as sitting behind the wheel of a car while its running, whether you are moving or not... :rolleyes:

I am angered by people who text while operating a moving vehicle, but I have no problem what so ever with people looking at their phone and sending a "honey, I'm on my way home" message while sitting at a red light. I do this all the time, and I have no shame for it.

Problem is, if I'm ever caught by police they will call it texting while driving. It's bullshit Unless the car is moving, I'm not driving it. I'm sitting behind the wheel of a stationary car.

I can sort of understand the sentiment but try to think about it from a public safety standpoint...

A teenager is sitting at a red light when an ambulance comes up behind them and needs to get by, only they don't notice because they're too busy texting with their music up too loud. That's a problem. Or maybe you're sitting at a red light and the careless driver behind you doesn't notice you're stopped and is going to rear end you. If you're alert and aware of what's about to happen you can possibly pull forward or move into the next lane, minimizing the threat of collision and associated injury. You probably couldn't do that if you're staring at a phone.

It's best to just leave the cell phone in hands free mode, so you can keep you're eyes on the road whether you're moving or not. Send that "Honey, I'm on my way home" text before you get into the car.

Back