Texting While Driving Up 50 Percent Despite Warnings

Its illigel here to text and drive or even talk on a cell phone (unless hands free). However I passed by a cop earlier on their personal cell phone, while driving. Im like..... WTF! Even the police dont uphold state law on cell phone usage!

I know that they recieve work calls on cell phone, but I know what the county police use here and he had a iphone 4, they dont use those.

Its illigel here to text and drive or even talk on a cell phone (unless hands free). However I passed by a cop earlier on their personal cell phone, while driving. Im like..... WTF! Even the police dont uphold state law on cell phone usage!

I know that they recieve work calls on cell phone, but I know what the county police use here and he had a iphone 4, they dont use those.

Short of actually riding in the cruiser with him, how can you be sure the officer was using a personal cell phone for personal matters?

Short of actually riding in the cruiser with him, how can you be sure the officer was using a personal cell phone for personal matters?

From what I've read on police policies in most communities, officers cannot go above the law while driving unless they have their lights and sirens on.

My mother reported a local officer for going around a gate on the tracks about 4 years ago and that officer ended up in the local papers suspended from duty for a week.

From what I've read on police policies in most communities, officers cannot go above the law while driving unless they have their lights and sirens on.

My mother reported a local officer for going around a gate on the tracks about 4 years ago and that officer ended up in the local papers suspended from duty for a week.

lf I reported every cop exceeding the speed limit by a significant amount I saw, I'd be on the phone on a near daily basis in my car. :p I was even nearly hit by a police cruiser running a red light, no lights or siren, at night. Scared the crap out of me.

lf I reported every cop exceeding the speed limit by a significant amount I saw, I'd be on the phone on a near daily basis in my car. :p I was even nearly hit by a police cruiser running a red light, no lights or siren, at night. Scared the crap out of me.

Yeah that happened to me too. I guess they just forget their lights aren't on when they get a "get your ass over here now" call. That can royally ruin anyone's day.

Same here, cop was running a stop sign.

Frankly it's none of your business what other people want to do with their lives.

Wow... how closed-mind-stupid are you?

It does matter when it's my life that's taken because some dumb@$$ is talking/texting on a cell phone.

It does matter when it's my life that's taken because some dumb@$$ is talking/texting on a cell phone.

We were talking about passengers needing to use the phone when you suggested jamming signals in cars, or have you forgotten already?

The data on the subject is possibly making the case that cell phones and txting actually aren't of significant real-world impact on collision rates, only perception.

That might sound like bullshit, however, according to the NHTSA, traffic collision rates have remained mostly flat over the past 15 years, although the reports of this stuff are skyrocketing.

What that seems to say, is that people are going to crash their cars, and the only difference now is that people are simply crashing their cars while using their phones, whereas in the past they would have been inattentive due to some other reason.

Something to consider.

That might sound like bullshit, however, according to the NHTSA, traffic collision rates have remained mostly flat over the past 15 years, although the reports of this stuff are skyrocketing.

And when you factor in the increase in drivers over the same period, the probability per driver is substantially decreasing.

We were talking about passengers needing to use the phone when you suggested jamming signals in cars, or have you forgotten already?

Not at all. As I said originally if this is the only solution, so be it. Oh no the passenger will have to WAIT 5 minutes to make that phone call :eek:. If that saves even one life then it's worth it.

My wife Text and reads emails on the phone while driving all the time. I want her to hit a deer while doing it and feel so guilty for killing an animal that she'll quit.

So strange how intelligent people do such stupid short sighted things.

the "if it saves one life" mantra is dangerous and often times destructive. All things have a cost, and viewing a possible benefit without evaluating the consequences can, and often does, result in more people harmed than saved. You always need to do a cost-benefit analysis. Cell phone use while driving can save lives too.

Not at all. As I said originally if this is the only solution, so be it. Oh no the passenger will have to WAIT 5 minutes to make that phone call :eek:. If that saves even one life then it's worth it.

you're not always the only one in the car.

Of course. But as I said there is no reason why the other person in the car needs to stay connected 24/7 either.

Frankly it's none of your business what other people want to do with their lives.

Backpedal more please.

I know the cop personally, and know what his personal phone is.

Small community, I do alot of work for the state, so I know all the cops and sheriffs in town.

My wife Text and reads emails on the phone while driving all the time. I want her to hit a deer while doing it and feel so guilty for killing an animal that she'll quit.

So strange how intelligent people do such stupid short sighted things.

Deer or a child crossing the street, whichever darts out first. :(

Look what's in the news today.
Washington (CNN) -- Federal accident investigators Tuesday called for a nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.
Study: Half of young people text, drive

The recommendation is the most far-reaching yet by the National Transportation Safety Board, which in the past 10 years has increasingly sought to limit the use of portable electronic devices. It has recommended such bans for novice drivers, school bus drivers and commercial truckers.

The new recommendation, if adopted by states, would outlaw non-emergency phone calls and texting by operators of every vehicle on the road.

It would not apply to hand-free devices or to passengers.

This needs to happen.

This needs to happen.

I agree, but the problem is the laws aren't effective. The states that actually have them have not seen any decrease in the behavior (probably due to how difficult it is to enforce).

We need some additional method of controlling this or it will never work.

Zarathustra[H];1038142600 said:
I agree, but the problem is the laws aren't effective. The states that actually have them have not seen any decrease in the behavior (probably due to how difficult it is to enforce).

We need some additional method of controlling this or it will never work.

Two possible solutions come to mind.

1.) Federal requirement for all cars to block cellphone signals.

2.) Some sort of ignition lock that won't start the car if any cellphone signal is detected inside, and will set off a very annoying audible alarm if a cellphone is turned on while the car is on.

This needs to happen.

Also, this still does not address the fact that handsfree talking does not reduce the risk of accidents.

Texting aside, where you actually have to take your eyes off the road, the use of the cellphone is not dangerous from a "it's tying up your hand" standpoint. It's dangerous from a cognitive perspective. The human brain can not handle safely driving and carrying on a conversation at the same time.

Study after study has shown an increased accident rate with any talking on the cell phone, regardless of whether it is with or without a handsfree device. In fact, there is not statistical difference in accident rates between the two options.

Surprisingly talking to passengers does not increase the rate significantly. It has been suggested this is because the passenger also has a set of eyes on the road, and can aid in alerting the driver.

If they want to do this properly, there should be a ban on any mobile divece being turned on in a vehicle at all while driving.

Zarathustra[H];1038142623 said:
Two possible solutions come to mind.

1.) Federal requirement for all cars to block cellphone signals.

2.) Some sort of ignition lock that won't start the car if any cellphone signal is detected inside, and will set off a very annoying audible alarm if a cellphone is turned on while the car is on.

Or make this law a primary traffic violation. I dunno about most places, but in my town, talking or texting on a cell phone is a secondary violation, same with seat belts. You have to be pulled over for a primary violation to be cited for the secondary, such as speeding or reckless driving.

I'd imagine if people knew that a cop could see you with your phone in your hand or suspect that you're holding a phone (not paying attention to the road, but your lap), they would be deterred from using their phones while driving.

Or make this law a primary traffic violation. I dunno about most places, but in my town, talking or texting on a cell phone is a secondary violation, same with seat belts. You have to be pulled over for a primary violation to be cited for the secondary, such as speeding or reckless driving.

I'd imagine if people knew that a cop could see you with your phone in your hand or suspect that you're holding a phone (not paying attention to the road, but your lap), they would be deterred from using their phones while driving.

True. I still think it would be pretty difficult to enforce, especially with people then being sneaky and trying to hide their habits below the windows.

Zarathustra[H];1038142675 said:
True. I still think it would be pretty difficult to enforce, especially with people then being sneaky and trying to hide their habits below the windows.

Difficult to enforce or not, we still need the laws on the books. It can be difficult to enforce drunken driving laws (a lot of people get away with it) but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have bothered to make it illegal.

Eventually, with enough citations and convictions, motorists will get the message to "keep your eyes on the road, stupid".

Difficult to enforce or not, we still need the laws on the books. It can be difficult to enforce drunken driving laws (a lot of people get away with it) but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have bothered to make it illegal.

Eventually, with enough citations and convictions, motorists will get the message to "keep your eyes on the road, stupid".

I agree, but I am simply suggesting that it might be more effective if rather than a simple ban, they put legislation in effect that has a more of a chance of actually working.

Zarathustra[H];1038143255 said:
I agree, but I am simply suggesting that it might be more effective if rather than a simple ban, they put legislation in effect that has a more of a chance of actually working.

In theory maybe, but in practice legislation like that will never be passed (and it shouldn't). In an attempt to solve one problem, you'd create about a thousand more. Aside from the innumerable technical challenges you'd face installing cell jamming devices in every moving vehicle, there's not enough political will to implement the kind of thing you're talking about. You'd rightly piss off drivers, pedestrians, manufacturers, consumers, bureaucrats, partisans and everyone in between.

It would be more effective in the same way that fire bombing a house will cure its termite problem.

My wife sent me this link earlier....

schoolbuswreck.jpg

Backpedal more please.

Lol if you think my argument is backpedaling you need to work on your reading comprehension.... err wait you probably won't understand what I'm saying.

Goe gets a edgimication!

Back