Terraria

Terraria is written in C# and XNA so porting it to anything other than the XBOX 360 would be quite a chore and require a major rewrite. According to the webpage they rewrote the engine in C++ for Starbound so seeing ports of it will be much more likely.

Terraria is written in C# and XNA so porting it to anything other than the XBOX 360 would be quite a chore and require a major rewrite. According to the webpage they rewrote the engine in C++ for Starbound so seeing ports of it will be much more likely.

XNA is so terrible. I was working on developing a game in it and I just felt so hobbled. It's totally Winphone-centric with Xbox and Windows as an afterthought, so it's a nightmare to create a decent UI in it. Plus the performance is really bad.

Glad to hear they've given up on that disaster.

Will I be able to ride this?

mech.gif

awww yea :cool:

No. No, no. I already did everything there was to do in Terraria back when I played it in the 1.1 days. Not going back to it now, not while I'm waiting for Starbound and Edge of Space to come out of Early Access. (How the three games are related)

Have they added much to Starbound? I tried it awhile back and it seemed extremely lacking in content.

Starbound is updating pretty frequently; its nowhere near finished, but they've been adding a lot of both major and minor content. I like the progress and I've been generally happy with their ongoing development.

holy shit

the amount of additions they are putting into 1.3

they're charging for this, right?

Wow not going to lie this update looks amazing. Looks like the game will actually be "beatable" and I'm liking the new expert aka hardcore mode. Looks better than even Starbound.

Anyone want to add me on Steam and teamup playing Expert mode and try to beat the game?

Yikes! My kids, friends, etc. and myself have dumped unfathomable amounts of time into this. I run a closed server just for friends and family. We'll just hop in at random times, build something insane and wait until someone else comes across it. Looks like there's about to be some renewed interest. It would be nice if you could update an existing world with new features. Sadly that hasn't been the case, so I feel a new world coming on. Oh well, it's worth it. The amount of fun this game has provided for the amount I've spent on it is absolutely staggering. Nice to see a new injection coming. :cool:

In the past I've complained about companies selling patches and graphic improvements as full game (enhanced edition, HD, etc). So I really appreciate the dev giving away all these updates and new contents for free, not even as a small DLC.

Will try this again when I have the time.

Nice! I didn't notice the update to the thread yesterday. I'll be updating everything today then. :)

Yeah, no one can argue that Terraria has not been a phenomenal value over the years. I think I paid less than 5 bucks for it originally...crazy.

I think I paid full price for my first copy, but then bought some discounted four-packs shortly after. I think I've picked up 12 or so total, so I could get friends/family sufficiently hooked. :D

I got my old worlds working in 1.3. If you are having issues simply install 1.2 load the world and save it. Then it will load in 1.3. GOG sent me the 1.2 installer if you want a db link pm me.

Started a new world on Expert mode along with a new character... it's brutal. Your base health regen is almost nothing, the bosses have about twice as much HP and they have new attack patterns. The defense stat is also 50% more effective on Expert worlds (so upgrading your armor is much more important). By the way Expert is a world setting, not a character one, so you'll need to create a new world to enable it.

Each boss has a unique expert-only item that always drops. The Eye of Cthulu's is probably the most important because it gives you a dodge / dash attack that lets you evade damage by double tapping a direction. Effectively utilizing this is crucial to beating the later bosses.

I probably died the most trying to kill Cthulu, but Skeletron was the most annoying by far since you can only fight him once per day. About to start working on the Wall of Flesh and begin hard mode. I remember the hard mode bosses being almost impossible to solo even on normal mode, I'm scared to see what they're like on Expert.

This shit is buggy as hell.
CTD on first run, and now after a reinstall sound doesn't work anymore. Not only that, hardly any public servers are running 1.3, everyone is still on 1.2.4. I'll try this again later. Never had any issue with this game, this is very surprising.

I got my old worlds working in 1.3. If you are having issues simply install 1.2 load the world and save it. Then it will load in 1.3. GOG sent me the 1.2 installer if you want a db link pm me.

Did it include all of the new features though? I was able to get older worlds to work in newer versions no problem, but they didn't have any new environments, weather types, or other new features. They did allow me to craft the new items, but it was like the previous version point five. Once I started a new world it had all the features. I haven't tried 1.3 yet, so couldn't say one way or the other there, but I'll probably start up a new world for it just in case.

Back