Swtor: Where are they now?

What happened with SWTOR?

• Total voters
We're alliance, we're trying to reboot our guild a bit. For me, besides the fact that its a subpar experience single player wise, I guess as an old dude, the KotOR universe doesn't really grasp me. I want to see some of the iconic characters from the movies and the stuff I'm familiar with...not put lightsabers in some totally different world. It seems like a cheap copy.
Then you never played Knights of the Old Republic. You knew full well that this was not the movie timeline so why QQ about that? Where you expecting to see Luke 4000 years before he was born?

Then you never played Knights of the Old Republic. You knew full well that this was not the movie timeline so why QQ about that? Where you expecting to see Luke 4000 years before he was born?

I played it a little bit, and I'm not qq'ing. What I am saying that for an MMO in the Star Wars universe, this timeline is boring and lame...

I have a love/hate relationship with DF / LFR. I would never have had a chance to participate in a lot of content without them. Would have missed out on gear and shit. Would have had less stuff to occupy my time and would have probably quit (because you can only pvp for so long).

I loved vanilla WoW. I loved battling ally in front of instances and camping / being camped. I think it built up loads of hate. Which made things interesting. That is all gone. So is seeing anyone outside of Org. Unless you're farming you don't leave the cities. Which is so sad. I hate DF/LFR for that.

While I would never want to go back to a pre-LFG state in a MMO, I readily agree that some of the open world confrontations that went down back in the day were truly memorable. I just don't see LFG as being the real reason why you don't see much of that anymore.

I mean in SWTOR, hardly anyone participates in open-world PvP because what's there just plain sucks... and bottom line, there's no incentive.

In WoW, hardly anyone participates in open-world PvP anymore because there's just a lot of other things to do to advance your character... and bottom line, there's no incentive.

All that needs to happen is for the devs to make open-world PvP a priority and incentivize it, and I guarantee you'd see people really getting balls deep into it again regardless of whether LFG is an available feature or not.

The dungeon finder is the greatest thing that has happened to MMO'S it use to piss me off to no end sitting there spamming for dungeons in chat. Or having like 3 out of 5 people just sitting there waiting and not playing. I stopped playing because I was tired of waiting around doing nothing. Now you can sit there and queue and go off and quest or level up your professions.

I can't believe they decided to not launch TOR without it. I felt like I was going back in time waiting around doing nothing forming a group.

Rift launched without one. Rift quickly added one though.

I lost my guild in Rift when they all went to play SWTOR during the beta. I tried it during the beta and did not like it so I stayed with Rift.

All that needs to happen is for the devs to make open-world PvP a priority and incentivize it, and I guarantee you'd see people really getting balls deep into it again regardless of whether LFG is an available feature or not.

Yep. It really is up to the devs to foster and create server communities and events. Right now WoW's gone in the opposite direction, where you're actually rewarded for choosing LFG (extra rewards, more damage for each extra random player, etc) over grouping with people on your own server. Heck, if you're a tank/healer and you have Call to Arms, you're rewarded for queuing solo as you won't get that reward if you queue with any other players.

Just got an email, They are having a free to play weekend for TOR.

Not a good sign IMO, games been out what a couple months and they are already offering a free to play weekend to try it out.

Dude....this is the SECOND free trial. They had one a couple of weeks ago I believe. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH TORtanic indeed.

Save this post because I will be proven right: by next Christmas, SWTOR will go to F2P. Watch. March at the latest.

I was leveling up with my two friends, we were in our 30s, and playing one weekend when it hit me. We were on Vent. In the middle of running missions I just realized I was totally bored. It was just cookie cutter stuff with the same dull enemies to fight. I told my friends I was just not getting into it anymore and logged out. A couple weeks later my friend cancelled his account, then the other, then me. No compelling reason to play. The character development, crafting, and gear was not interesting to me. As I leveled up I just never really felt like it mattered. My Commando would find new gear and the only thing that changed was the color. I didn't feel like much effort went into anything besides the voice acting and the engine itself was pretty dated. Also, playing on 3 screens was torture because all the menus and windows were stuck to the outside edge of the right and left monitors and I'd have to look back and forth and moving stuff around was a chore. I don't even care to wait for them to fix any of it.

I don't even care to wait for them to fix any of it.

Same here. They could fix almost all of the really egregious bugs and I still wouldn't care enough at this point to keep an active subscription. There's just nothing all that compelling to keep people around for very long.

They're doing another free weekend it looks like, which to me signals they are in deep shit.

If they keep that up it might as well just go FTP and be done with it, not that I think that would save it at this point.

Bought it 2 or 3 months ago. Cancelled my subscription 3 weeks ago. Mostly for the reasons not directly related to the game but also because the game became tiring. I just hate grinding.

Still playing though I don't see much of the [H]ardgaming members online anymore. Now I leveling up an alt on Canderous Ordo (seems to be the most populated east PVE server).

My impression is that Bioware did what the know how to do with attaching a story to the level grind while waiting til later to implement/fix the MMORPG stuff. I think the free trials are an attempt to avoid server merges but I don't think it's in the danger zone of FTP yet.

I have a love/hate relationship with DF / LFR. I would never have had a chance to participate in a lot of content without them. Would have missed out on gear and shit. Would have had less stuff to occupy my time and would have probably quit (because you can only pvp for so long).

I loved vanilla WoW. I loved battling ally in front of instances and camping / being camped. I think it built up loads of hate. Which made things interesting. That is all gone. So is seeing anyone outside of Org. Unless you're farming you don't leave the cities. Which is so sad. I hate DF/LFR for that.

The finders made it rediculously easy to put enough people together to achieve these goals. Before most of it would require you to either have a lot of in game friends or be apart of a very active guild. Making it easier to get into capable groups makes the game go by quite a bit faster.

Before this people would have to work, organize and plan these types of things. Now theres none, its open window -> select role -> hit apply and wait.

Now SWTOR doesn't need this if they did their stuff right, much like vanilla WoW didn't need it. Keep the leveling stuff the same (except for the amount of 4+ and missions) and move/make them lvl 50 content. Theres almost no lvl 50 content, regular or raiding style and is very bland. Theres almost "too" much to do while leveling while offering less then each leveling planet offers at the end game.

I paid for 6 months so I'm just gonna ride that out for now. Weather I continue to play for that while time period is based on how the 1.2 patch turns out. From reading the patch notes I don't have high hopes but I also haven't been on the test servers myself so I'll wait and judge for myself. I very much enjoyed leveling my trooper, it was like a SWKOTOR all over again. Playing other classes is also enjoyable, but I wish I could just skip past the generic planet quests and burn straight through the class story line. PvP is also meh.

I have a gigantic backlog of games on Steam if SWTOR doesn't pan out for me anyways :D

Didn't like the game that much to keep playing it, 1.2 promises a lot but that doesn't fix the game in a manner that would draw me back in.

I'm really liking the game so far, needs some work/updates for sure but lot's of fun.

Well I just hit 50 this past week on my Commando. Was planning on being a PVE raid healer / PVP healer.

Read the notes. Read the current state of affairs of Commando healing (read: already bottom of the barrel, nerfed in effectiveness by something like an additional 40% over time in 1.2).

I think I'm done here.

I'm still surprised they haven't merged any servers yet.

that would admit failure and cause more people to leave...also, i assume the hardware is outsourced, just like wow...ergo, there are contracts that are signed with the outsourcing companies...the contracts have to run their course or 'penalties' are imposed if contracts are abruptly changed

not everything revolves around common sense in business..at the end of the day, they don't really give a shit about your fun but more so about THEIR bottom line...if its cheaper to have alot of servers, then thats what they'll do until the contracts are up for renewal

So after I un-subbed earlier this week, they sent me a survey asking a bunch of questions about why I left. Based on the questions they were asking, I think it's pretty safe to assume they know what a lot of the largest complaints are about the game so far. Almost every single one of the things that has been mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, were all in the given list of reasons for leaving.

Like I've mentioned in the other SWTOR thread here, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out wha'ts wrong with the game, and it also shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to fix most of these issues. The real problem they face though is getting things fixed quickly enough before people start leaving in droves. If they don't have a large enough subscription base to keep the servers up and the lights on, how are they going to have enough extra resources to keep a large development team working non-stop on a game that needs soooooo much more work done to just simply be a decent MMO?

Based on 1) how many people have already said they're done in this thread alone, 2) how long it is taking them to get 1.2 out, and 3) the shitty HERO engine they've built this game around... my expectations are not set very high when it comes to whether or not they'll be able to pull this shit off.

I have a maruader at 38 and a sorc at 34-35. I just didn't have the desire to log on and finish them. Unsubbed a few weeks ago, have no desire to go back. Got a scroll on WoW and there's lot of new content for me since I've been inactive for 6+ months. Enjoying the heck out of LFD right now, and the PVP is a breath of once-again-fresh air after the miserable disaster that was Huttball.

Pre-CU SWG > TOR

I had hours and hours of fun playing with my friends in SWG, just exploring and seeing what crazy stuff was on Dathomir or Yavin IV.

When we all decided to get TOR, we were naturally pretty jazzed, but after the first month we barely talked about the game. I pretty much stopped playing after ~three weeks, and one of my friends stopped after he hit 50 in the first week.

I love TOR and still play it daily, mostly on PTS though because 1.2 addressed about every issue I had with the launch game.

Pre-CU SWG > TOR

I had hours and hours of fun playing with my friends in SWG, just exploring and seeing what crazy stuff was on Dathomir or Yavin IV.

When we all decided to get TOR, we were naturally pretty jazzed, but after the first month we barely talked about the game. I pretty much stopped playing after ~three weeks, and one of my friends stopped after he hit 50 in the first week.

I agree. Pre-CU SWG was the funnest I've had in a multiplayer game, period. Launch till pre holodeck spam Jedis were the best fun to be had by any player, both PvP'ers and PvE/Crafters.

I still wish someone would have the balls to make a sandbox MMO. Come on Blizz, make it happen... you already cashed in huge on your theme park MMO.

Looks like 1.2 will fix a lot of the basic shit, I am still in shock that so many of those issues we're thought of pre-launch. Did the devs even look at other MMOs?

Looks like 1.2 will fix a lot of the basic shit, I am still in shock that so many of those issues we're thought of pre-launch. Did the devs even look at other MMOs?

This, though 1.2 also looks to add some nice stuff like a new operation, new warzone, ranking system for PVP, etc. too and a lot of gear flexibility + legacy system and gigantic crafting updates.

I'm seeing in interviews and official devposts they want to add RVR to the game and really expand both pve & pvp at a rapid pace... thinking of resubbing and riding it out a few months to see if they start getting in that direction at that point.

I agree. Pre-CU SWG was the funnest I've had in a multiplayer game, period. Launch till pre holodeck spam Jedis were the best fun to be had by any player, both PvP'ers and PvE/Crafters.

I still wish someone would have the balls to make a sandbox MMO. Come on Blizz, make it happen... you already cashed in huge on your theme park MMO.

No. Swg is still one of the worst mmos ever made. You guys all pretty much have blinders on when it comes to swg. It had less subscribers than EQ and DAoC and if made today wouldnt even last as long as ToR. It took them forever to add anything or fix something, i.e space combat and open world pvp come to mind. The game was pretty much dying on the branch when sony took it over, its death was inevitable anyway you looked at it.

I played it during the first month but got bored and stopped after getting full PVP gear and doing all the dungeons with friends. I did have fun with it though, and the $50 or $60 I spent on it was worth it for me as it was a month of entertainment. The 'openness' of the game is what really disappointed me though, you couldn't even raid the other faction's main city for fun if you wanted to. During 1-50 I only saw a total of four or five opposite faction members.

But like I said, worth my $50 or $60 for the fun I had.

No. Swg is still one of the worst mmos ever made. You guys all pretty much have blinders on when it comes to swg. It had less subscribers than EQ and DAoC and if made today wouldnt even last as long as ToR. It took them forever to add anything or fix something, i.e space combat and open world pvp come to mind. The game was pretty much dying on the branch when sony took it over, its death was inevitable anyway you looked at it.

swg:jtls had the best space sim since xwing vs. tie fighter.

The customization of your ship was endless. swtor's space sim is utter crap.

Yes Swg @ release was a far better game then swtor. So much character customization and skills.

Oh and massive rebs vs imp fights in the middle of theed and mos eisley!

swg:jtls had the best space sim since xwing vs. tie fighter.

The customization of your ship was endless. swtor's space sim is utter crap.

Yes Swg @ release was a far better game then swtor. So much character customization and skills.

Oh and massive rebs vs imp fights in the middle of theed and mos eisley!

When released swg space combat was horribly broken, open world.pvp was grossly.imbalanced. No matter.how you look at it everyone always talks about the great crafting, player cities, and player watching in the cantinas. PvE sucked, PvP was never fixed, and space combat gradually got better but the first 3 months after they finally got it in it was broke, boring, and stale.

I honestly think they arent able to do the ip justice anymore.

I played the game for a few months, and then ME3 came out. I unsubbed to play that game and then I banned all things EA and Bioware on my system after the ending. I might go back if the extended DLC changes my toon on EA/Bioware, but I doubt it. It wasn't that great of a game, I stick with WoW...since I already signed up for a year anyway. Although, I'm still questionable on the idea of Panderia.

Bought a 6-month sub but stopped playing after 1.5 months.

1) I'm in Taiwan, so there was no one in the [H] guild to play with, really. I would have to switch servers to join an Aussie/Hong Kong guild. I'm sure there were some on The Fatman, but I was also too lazy to find them.

2) I leveled up to 42 or so completely solo doing a bit of pick-up PVP. It was mostly fun, but it kind of defeats the point of an MMO. I want to have a good guild and hang out and socialize.

3) The UI pissed me off. Last MMO I played was EVE Online. The UI was awesome. I miss the EVE Market. I have no idea how SWTOR got it so, so very wrong. If they can fix that, I'll be back.

hmm
I was wondering if someone could give me a free trial to swtor?

HAhahahahaha, EA's getting desperate. SWTOR is debuting a new planet earlier than anticipated.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/operation-explosive-star-wars/729117

It's already common knowledge that they have a shit ton of content already made and setting there, so I bet they started to see that they were losing subs at a huge rate and had to resort to releasing the new planet/content earlier than they hoped. AKA, they got a plan to release a new planet with content every 6-9 months, now they got to push the schedule forward because everyone is quitting and in a couple of months GW2 and other MMO's are coming out so they are feeling the heat.

Hahaha, I pretty much said this 2 months ago on the TOR forums 2 days before my sub ran out saying that I bet they release new planets in the next 3 months or so because people are already bored shitless with TOR. And I as right.

have to say Im not impressed with the legacy system and all the costs that go with it. I know its an mmo and grinding is the norm but I has hoping for more of a point based system. Like leveling up. Im glad I have 7 days left until my sub is up.

have to say Im not impressed with the legacy system and all the costs that go with it. I know its an mmo and grinding is the norm but I has hoping for more of a point based system. Like leveling up. Im glad I have 7 days left until my sub is up.

I'd say the legacy system is the best thing about the game, but I will say they don't have much going for the game outside of small portions of raiding, small portions of pvp and almost nothing else to do when you hit 50.

One of my friends almost maxed out his trooper after a week of raiding, that was with 3 days of raiding too.

Back