Swtor: Where are they now?

What happened with SWTOR?

• Total voters
I played it up until about a month ago. I just got burnt out on it. You can't hardly get a group together to do the operations and when you do it's mostly retards. I haven't wanted to go through the grind of getting anymore characters to level 50. The single player stories were pretty decent, but light vs. dark doesn't matter and your choices don't impact anything but companion affection and your dark side or light side points.

So there is limited replay value. Plus the warzones in PvP are old and annoying, Ilum and the Outlaw's Den are ghost towns. It's just a gear grind at level 50. Fun for a while, but it just doesn't have the staying power. I enjoyed it enough to get my money's worth out of the game itself, but I'll probably unsubscribe before too long.

big let down. Another mmo that lacked that 1999 EQ feel.

That was a shitty game so I'm glad for that. The fact is the only thing EQ had going for it was that the genre was relatively new and it was radically different than Ultima Online or anything like that. Again it was different but hardly good. When I saw people taping down spacebars for 30 minutes of running I was like; "WTF?" Why is that fun? They fixed that later with the numlock thing but you shouldn't need to take 30 minutes to get anywhere. That's bullshit. I can go run outside for 30 minute free, and it's actually good for me. I won't pay to run for 30 minutes in a game. I think much of the "feel" concerning EQ is nostalgia. Nothing more. It's that feeling that you are trying to recapture. Not the actual gameplay.

Everyone forgets how bad many other MMOs were at launch (especially WoW) and for months afterwards. But in this day and age, ADHD wins out. Update 1.2 will solve most of the issues but people do not wait around. That's fine.

I still play and am still having fun. We raid nightmare modes and do PvP. I do not play every night and only raid for 2 nights and it's only maybe a couple hours.

There are morons in every game so that's a poor excuse to leave. Simply put, don't pug if you don't like it.

I played it up until about a month ago. I just got burnt out on it. You can't hardly get a group together to do the operations and when you do it's mostly retards. I haven't wanted to go through the grind of getting anymore characters to level 50. The single player stories were pretty decent, but light vs. dark doesn't matter and your choices don't impact anything but companion affection and your dark side or light side points.

So there is limited replay value. Plus the warzones in PvP are old and annoying, Ilum and the Outlaw's Den are ghost towns. It's just a gear grind at level 50. Fun for a while, but it just doesn't have the staying power. I enjoyed it enough to get my money's worth out of the game itself, but I'll probably unsubscribe before too long.

That was a shitty game so I'm glad for that. The fact is the only thing EQ had going for it was that the genre was relatively new and it was radically different than Ultima Online or anything like that. Again it was different but hardly good. When I saw people taping down spacebars for 30 minutes of running I was like; "WTF?" Why is that fun? They fixed that later with the numlock thing but you shouldn't need to take 30 minutes to get anywhere. That's bullshit. I can go run outside for 30 minute free, and it's actually good for me. I won't pay to run for 30 minutes in a game. I think much of the "feel" concerning EQ is nostalgia. Nothing more. It's that feeling that you are trying to recapture. Not the actual gameplay.

EQ and at the time Asherons call both had something that kept me playing. Wow had it too. I cant put my finger on it but these games had a world you could get lost in. Swtor just did not...

i dont want to hijack his thread so im done.

Everyone forgets how bad many other MMOs were at launch (especially WoW) and for months afterwards. But in this day and age, ADHD wins out. Update 1.2 will solve most of the issues but people do not wait around. That's fine.

I still play and am still having fun. We raid nightmare modes and do PvP. I do not play every night and only raid for 2 nights and it's only maybe a couple hours.

There are morons in every game so that's a poor excuse to leave. Simply put, don't pug if you don't like it.

My server is so dead that either you pug or don't do Operations. At 8pm EST we had 39 people online on the fleet. Last night we got to the boss in Eternity Vault where you have to fight an npc solo. We had a level 50 Juggernaught that kept failing at it. I ended up buying him some trinkets off the AH and making him some stims and pots so that he could do it. My nephew asked him to change forms and gave him a rotation. We were sick of wiping on it and him hitting the enrage timer and dying.

So yea, I'd love to run with a static group, but the reality of the current state of the game is that it isn't feasible. Just the way it is.

I went back to WoW and transferred to Shadowmoon. After 50, its lame. Wating for my six month sub to run out and then I will refuse to by anything Lucas Arts until I get and X-Wing and Tie-Fighter remix without it being ruined. The last decent game Lucas Arts put its name on was Republic Commando and it was far too short.

EQ and at the time Asherons call both had something that kept me playing. Wow had it too. I cant put my finger on it but these games had a world you could get lost in. Swtor just did not...

That thing you are thinking of is vision. EQ is one of the worst built games but because they stuck to their guns and gave us great content with a sense of accomplishment. Those two games forced you into their world and respected it, but those days are gone, im just waiting for one game that can get close to those and I will play it. Right now im playing eq f2p and loving it.

Would this make a decent single player diversion after it sinks to bargain basement prices? I'm not a rabid SW fan, but the dark forces and Kotor 1/2 stuff was fun.

Would this make a decent single player diversion after it sinks to bargain basement prices? I'm not a rabid SW fan, but the dark forces and Kotor 1/2 stuff was fun.

I'd say so. The class quests are actually a lot of fun and have a decent story line to them. I rather enjoyed going all the way through the story arc for the Sith Warrior. I've seen a lot of the Inquisitor story line as well due to most of my tiny guild having inquisitors.

I bought at launch and still playing. My server population is either staying the same, or gaining slightly. Its like one of the only heavy servers on prime time on weekends, besides the fatman. I'm still having a good time, just starting to raid, but I do have three 50 toons now, and working on the bounty hunter now.

Yes, man, WoW had that feeling of wonder, that you could go explore and find interesting things in the world. It was a great feeling. Most of it is gone now in WoW as hardly anyone is out in the 'world' anymore. I sure do miss those early days of WoW.

I'm hoping GW2 will bring some of that 'wonder' back into the genre.

Yes, man, WoW had that feeling of wonder, that you could go explore and find interesting things in the world. It was a great feeling. Most of it is gone now in WoW as hardly anyone is out in the 'world' anymore. I sure do miss those early days of WoW.

Yeah, for me the huge missing element in SWTOR was that feeling of being in a "living, breathing world, where I can go and explore anywhere without loading screens" kind of feeling that WoW pulled off really well.

For anyone hoping to experience that kind of feeling again, I'd highly suggest taking a look at Firefall.

Yeah, for me the huge missing element in SWTOR was that feeling of being in a "living, breathing world, where I can go and explore anywhere without loading screens" kind of feeling that WoW pulled off really well.

For anyone hoping to experience that kind of feeling again, I'd highly suggest taking a look at Firefall.

People over play the loading screen issue in SWTOR. It's really not that bad as they rarely come up and when they do they are pretty quick.

I unsubbed a month ago. Between ME3 and D3 beta I have plenty to play.

I did play TOR for longer than most people, since I played about 6 months of beta before release and saw most of the story lines then. I didn't feel a need to repeat that in release. Might come back if 1.2 fixes a lot, but really once D3 releases in may it will be a hard sell to get me back. I didn't get involved in a community or guild for it so the MMO part never really gelled for me.

I unsubbed a month ago. Between ME3 and D3 beta I have plenty to play.

I did play TOR for longer than most people, since I played about 6 months of beta before release and saw most of the story lines then. I didn't feel a need to repeat that in release. Might come back if 1.2 fixes a lot, but really once D3 releases in may it will be a hard sell to get me back.

Yeah I played Mass Effect 3 a lot since then and even decided to replay ME1 and ME2. So I've been busy with that lately.

I hope it dies faster ,noone wanted this crap... we wanted was KOTR 3 !!!! Hope they learn from mistakes and make the next one a single player!!!! Other than ME and kotr series there are no more games like this.....

I went back to WoW and transferred to Shadowmoon. After 50, its lame. Wating for my six month sub to run out and then I will refuse to by anything Lucas Arts until I get and X-Wing and Tie-Fighter remix without it being ruined. The last decent game Lucas Arts put its name on was Republic Commando and it was far too short.

Hey I played on Shadowmoon for a long time. Most recently in the guild Conspiracy on Horde side. I ended up xferring off due to the new SoR stuff to play with some friends of mine though.

As for SWTOR, I got bored and unsubbed from the game about 2 months ago. I really tried to like the game, but I just never could bring myself to enjoy it like I enjoyed WoW for so long.

In some respects I can agree with you on, ie, outdated game play mechanics like corpse recovery, but for the most part I disagree. EQ had an ambiance and sense of accomplishment that no other game to date has had. EQ was challenging and again to this day, unmatched in that regard. Rather than striving for ultimate balance as modern MMO's do, EQ built classes that each had their own unique advantages. I've also never been immersed into a game as much as I was in EQ. There was also a interdependence on other players in the game that made it something special to me. Modern MMOG's are basically solo games that you see other people running around. They just did something right with EQ.

EQ was a game made for people who enjoy role playing - by people who enjoy role playing. Most MMO's since have been built to try to appeal to as much people as possible and to be as easy as possible. EQ was a gamer’s game - the modern MMO's are a corporation’s game. Just because the game was for a niche audience doesn't mean it was a shitty game. I'm sure many titles you enjoy I'd fine 'shitty'. Plus, the exploding trend the past 5 years to make MMOG's "dumber" and easier has done absolutely nothing other than fragment the industry into a bunch of game clones. At least EQ did something that has lasted the test of time. Very few other MMOG's will be remembered as well as EQ is.

Last edited:
I played roughly 5 minutes of a free trial, logged out, and never logged in again. Maybe its just me, but I just knew I was going to be bored. At age 39, after roughly 30 years of quests, I can't do them anymore unless I have a damn good reason. :D

Some of what you say about EQ is true, but you can't deny that a lot of it comes from the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia.

Pretty much everyone who played any early MMO a lot (be it Asheron's Call, EQ, UO, Meridian 59, etc) ALL claim that that particular game was so great and nothing else has ever touched it since. I'm of the opinion that this largely stems from the fact that such games were an enormous leap forward from the status quo. Plus (and this is obviously not ALWAYS the case, but often) many of us were in that precious 12-18 age bracket where we had all the time in the world to plug ourselves into those MMOs fully and not have to worry about things like college, careers, and kids.

A friend of mine plays P1999 (the retro EQ emulated server) and has tried to get me into it a few times. Every time I have tried, the huge holes in the gameplay and unneccessary "busy work" was just retarded.

I personally played the crap out of UO and I too have a very romantic memory of it, but I recognize that it was filled with problems as well. It just pushed the boundaries of what we expected at the time and gave us things we didn't think possible.

People over play the loading screen issue in SWTOR. It's really not that bad as they rarely come up and when they do they are pretty quick.

The loading screens aren't the only thing making it feel that way though. Get rid of all the loading screens and just have the hyperspace between different planets... still doesn't change the fact that the zones you play in all feel completely sectioned off (any have almost no one in them) compared to any game that has a truly open world design.

Some of what you say about EQ is true, but you can't deny that a lot of it comes from the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia.

Pretty much everyone who played any early MMO a lot (be it Asheron's Call, EQ, UO, Meridian 59, etc) ALL claim that that particular game was so great and nothing else has ever touched it since. I'm of the opinion that this largely stems from the fact that such games were an enormous leap forward from the status quo. Plus (and this is obviously not ALWAYS the case, but often) many of us were in that precious 12-18 age bracket where we had all the time in the world to plug ourselves into those MMOs fully and not have to worry about things like college, careers, and kids.

A friend of mine plays P1999 (the retro EQ emulated server) and has tried to get me into it a few times. Every time I have tried, the huge holes in the gameplay and unneccessary "busy work" was just retarded.

I personally played the crap out of UO and I too have a very romantic memory of it, but I recognize that it was filled with problems as well. It just pushed the boundaries of what we expected at the time and gave us things we didn't think possible.

you said it yourself it was an enormous leap forward. and that is what we need now for mmo's. Swtor did nothing new really except added a single player storyline and it pretty much failed to me...

Last edited:
For an MMO to come out in 2011 and not be up to speed in MMO mechanics is not acceptable. Play WoW or something for a month. See what works, put that in your game, done. Why SWTOR has all these simple mechanical issues at launch is mind boggling.

Yes, WoW was like that and worse at launch, but guess what? the bar has been raised since then.

I think the whole single player story focus of swtor has hurt more than helped for sure.

I barely log on anymore, waiting for 1.2

But I have to say that:

1- it is definitely worth a playthrough. You def. get your money's worth by leveling up to 50 in the free month.

2- The main problem the game has is one of dying and mismanaged server populations. They released too many servers on start, and now the population is consolidating itself in a few choice servers.

3- The ONLY thing I wish swtor had from WoW that it doesn't currently have are cross server battlegrounds and server transfers, which are all related to number 2. Other than that, anyone arguing that wow is a much better game is letting nostalgia influence them.

I said it when i was in the beta and I've said it to many friends who bought into it since launch. It has a great single player story line, but not much else.

I would have bought it as a single player game

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. EQ from 1999 wouldn't stand a chance in the modern MMO world. A lot of the positives about the game had nothing to do with game play mechanics though.

you said it yourself it was an enormous leap forward. and that is what we need now for mmo's. Swtor did nothing new really except added a single player storyline and it pretty much failed to me...

Enormous leaps in gaming, as in pretty much everything in life, is rare. Take the industrial revolution, nothing really came close to that technological leap until the mass adoption of personal computers (and things that it brought about like the Internet, etc.) The games that came early will always be (and rightfully so) recognized as pioneers and thus a measuring stick to everything else that come after.

edit:

As far as SWTOR, it's actually pretty decent. My problem is my server is dead. I didn't choose to be there but was instead placed there. Now I'm waiting for server merge or transfer. If neither happens within the next month I'm un-subbing until they offer it.

Any current or ex SWTOR players wonder where 200+ million went to? Maybe 195 Mil in license fees and 5 Mil in actual content?

I really miss DAOC. Blizzard has opposed any PvP with no objective. I think it would be epic if they added keeps throughout the world that guilds could conquer and claim.

Sigh...I guess I just really miss DAOC.

Mythic...another company EA destroyed. Bioware is nearly there.

I think the worst thing about this game is the DRM that requires you to have a constant connection. They're as bad as Ubisoft!

A lot of people don't understand that this loss of wonder has nothing to do with WoW becoming a bad game or Blizzard fucking it up. This happened because many people have invested hundreds if not thousands of hours in the game over the last 8 years and anything gets stale and boring after that long. At least in WoW you still have 2 or 3 zones to choose from while leveling up, and doing dungeons is a breeze while leveling due to the LFD system. Leveling becomes intolerable in an MMO no matter how good it is after the first few times. Don't mistake that for the game magically becoming sucky.

A lot of people don't understand that this loss of wonder has nothing to do with WoW becoming a bad game or Blizzard fucking it up. This happened because many people have invested hundreds if not thousands of hours in the game over the last 8 years and anything gets stale and boring after that long. At least in WoW you still have 2 or 3 zones to choose from while leveling up, and doing dungeons is a breeze while leveling due to the LFD system. Leveling becomes intolerable in an MMO no matter how good it is after the first few times. Don't mistake that for the game magically becoming sucky.

A game usually becomes sucky when they make the world smaller either through a dungeon finder, mass ports or instant gratification.

Vanilla WoW had a lot of stuff that required some work for, generated some respect for achieving said item/status/whatever. Now its rinse/wash/repeat as soon as the expantion drops.

A game usually becomes sucky when they make the world smaller either through a dungeon finder, mass ports or instant gratification.

Vanilla WoW had a lot of stuff that required some work for, generated some respect for achieving said item/status/whatever. Now its rinse/wash/repeat as soon as the expantion drops.

So you're saying you would not have grown bored of the game if you could not port around the world easily? That tediously traveling through the same mundane settings for the hundred thousandth time would immerse you so greatly that the game would be returned to its former glory?

That's all I'm going to say. I make a point of not arguing with people who think the dungeon finder is a bad thing for fear that associating with such people on any level will cause my brain to explode.

So you're saying you would not have grown bored of the game if you could not port around the world easily? That tediously traveling through the same mundane settings for the hundred thousandth time would immerse you so greatly that the game would be returned to its former glory?

That's all I'm going to say. I make a point of not arguing with people who think the dungeon finder is a bad thing for fear that associating with such people on any level will cause my brain to explode.

Your funny. Turning a game into a rinse/wash/repeat takes any point of the game away. WoW did this, the end. Your point is ruined. You didn't want to do any of the "tedious" stuff in the game and instead wanted instant gratification, how much further do you go from there? hand you stuff for logging in? (they did that already).

Dungeon finder's only good thing was made older (unnessary) dungeon's easier to do, which the developers no longer care if you do those or not, they want you in the newer content faster and dungeon crawling in WoW does not get you to level faster. Newer dungeon areas had no problems with mass people, it was easy prior to get (current) dungeon groups prior to the finder.

Oh and I never said anything about returning to greatness. So keep "not arguing."

The dungeon finder is the greatest thing that has happened to MMO'S it use to piss me off to no end sitting there spamming for dungeons in chat. Or having like 3 out of 5 people just sitting there waiting and not playing. I stopped playing because I was tired of waiting around doing nothing. Now you can sit there and queue and go off and quest or level up your professions.

I can't believe they decided to not launch TOR without it. I felt like I was going back in time waiting around doing nothing forming a group.

I quit after a month or so. The flashpoints were great fun, I loved ht eheavily story based elements but the flashpoints were just so FEW and far between.

IT seemed like they spent more time on GENERIC mmo quests " go kill x of thees, go fetch x of these blah blah" then they did focusing on making flashpoints and things that played to the games unique aspects.

Space battles were cheap, just on rail shooting with no real fun, to me at least.

Just got an email, They are having a free to play weekend for TOR.

Here's your chance to try The Old Republic™ for free. Choose your side and experience the Star Wars™ galaxy as the hero of your own epic adventure. Make decisions that will define your personal story and determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force™.

Don't delay, this free trial ends on April 9, 2012, 2:00AM CDT/7:00AM GMT/6:00 PM EDT (Australia). We look forward to seeing you in The Old Republic!

Not a good sign IMO, games been out what a couple months and they are already offering a free to play weekend to try it out.

Hey I played on Shadowmoon for a long time. Most recently in the guild Conspiracy on Horde side. I ended up xferring off due to the new SoR stuff to play with some friends of mine though.

As for SWTOR, I got bored and unsubbed from the game about 2 months ago. I really tried to like the game, but I just never could bring myself to enjoy it like I enjoyed WoW for so long.

We're alliance, we're trying to reboot our guild a bit. For me, besides the fact that its a subpar experience single player wise, I guess as an old dude, the KotOR universe doesn't really grasp me. I want to see some of the iconic characters from the movies and the stuff I'm familiar with...not put lightsabers in some totally different world. It seems like a cheap copy.

For that reason, the single player is a snore fest to me. The voice acting was over emphasized, and it wasn't even that great to be honest. Ther's very little exploration, the planets seem 'small', and the planets are largely useless after you pass the level its designed for. The PVP is pure shit. They took the one thing from WoW PVP that in my opinion sucks butt...;stun locks...and brought it to a whole new level of suck. Who the fuck wants to sit frozen in a Star Wars battle and get ass raped by a douche in a robe and a glow stick? Yay for same sex relationships, so important :rolleyes: But you didn't have to make PVP a bend over experience too :p

Back