Supreme Commander Thread!

Those of you having crashing problems in Vista or otherwise might want to check out this thread and the threads it links to. I too was having crashing problems but I'm not able to play without crashes or desyncs in Vista x64 and it runs very well.

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=11315&highlight=

Thanks for the link - a lot of people claimed it helped, so I went ahead and bookmarked the fix and bought this on Amazon for $30 shipped (can't beat Prime, it'll be here tomorrow!).

I'll probably apply the fix before I start playing.

And I assume you meant now instead of not ;)

Open gpgnet and go to the vault (the safe at the bottom) go to downloads, click on tools, run a blank search, download the full gpgnet client, uninstall and reinstall gpgnet.

The proplem is as soon as gpgnet logs in I get the message to update, and no matter what I click ('okay' or 'cancel') the thing just closes.

I also disabled my firewalls but it didnt help...and I dont use a virus scan.

Thanks for the link - a lot of people claimed it helped, so I went ahead and bookmarked the fix and bought this on Amazon for $30 shipped (can't beat Prime, it'll be here tomorrow!).

I'll probably apply the fix before I start playing.

And I assume you meant now instead of not ;)

LOL yeah I did mean "now" :p

The proplem is as soon as gpgnet logs in I get the message to update, and no matter what I click ('okay' or 'cancel') the thing just closes.
I also disabled my firewalls but it didnt help...and I dont use a virus scan.
hmm. Theres an option in the GPGnet client to check for updates I beliee. Try disabling that and getting the 3251/3254 patches seperately.

The map editor is out. You'll need a image manipulator that can deal with 16 bit .raw files to take much advantage of it though. Anyone know of anything free that can do that?

You need a what :confused:

Why didn't they just stick something simple out like the Warcraft 3 editor or Starcraft editor :(

Would 3dsmax or photoshop help out with this?

Soooo whos had some epic wins/ whiny losers yet?

I was playing an unranked 4v4 with some friends at a lan and it was us (everyone drunk but me) versus 4 others.

I sent 2 sonar bueys with my partners mass of ships and when we killed the guy with a nuke, he went off on a rant that my sonar bueys were illegal and he was gonna get me banned!

it was so funny because he WOULDNT stop it was great.

Sonar Bueys Cant be Used for offense!!!! ITS ILLEGAL!! Ya well maybe in RANKED games but this is unranked and they were there to spot your crap on this HUGE map.

I also took 48 of my subcommanders once and set them up in a circle in the water and nuked them.

That was a big boom

Yeah, this isn't a simple scenario editor, it's the development editor. Harder to use than the pretty built in ones but still MUCH easier than FPS map editors. The height maps are 16 bit black and white .raw files, so if you export them you can do a lot with them. Very important for making them symmetrical.

hmm. Theres an option in the GPGnet client to check for updates I beliee. Try disabling that and getting the 3251/3254 patches seperately.

Well I logged in again and it finally updated--yay. I didn't do anything different this time.

updating to the latest patch seemed to help with the crashing, but im starting to get desyncs when viewing replays

updating to the latest patch seemed to help with the crashing, but im starting to get desyncs when viewing replays

im pretty sure that has to do with the version of your replays not matching the version of your current client. or, it could be mods that you had pre-patch and not using post-patch that you had in some replays.

if anyone uses hamachi rather than the built in client for multi player i setup hamachi network

network name: hardforum supcom
password: hard

message me and ill start a game

Every patch breaks previous saves and replays.
That whole "move this unit here. Unit here. Move unit over here now. but its not done moving to the first spot yet!". Series of commands doesn't work when stats are different.

Forum rollback means I have to repost.

Im looking for help getting my dual monitor setup to work with supcom. I have the screens working fine in windows, and supcom lets me select a resolution, but it crashes on loading after the restart.

Im looking for somebody with a G80 and duals setup to IM me (AIM: pssauron, MSN MY[H][email protected]) so we can discuss what exactly their settings are in the various control panels.

Did they stop trying to make a DX10 version? Sorry I'm a little behind in the times and would like to know.

Forum rollback means I have to repost.

Im looking for help getting my dual monitor setup to work with supcom. I have the screens working fine in windows, and supcom lets me select a resolution, but it crashes on loading after the restart.

Im looking for somebody with a G80 and duals setup to IM me (AIM: pssauron, MSN MY[H][email protected]) so we can discuss what exactly their settings are in the various control panels.

does it crash if you don't enable dual monitors in supreme commander?
are you patched to the latest version? (3255), that fixed the crashing issues for me.

haven't tried with the latest version
I can play single screen just fine (but cant scroll left :( )

I have the secondary screen on the left and not aligned with either top or bottom of the primary. I should play with those settings see if they make a difference.

You run ultramon on no?

OK, that was WAY too simple. Not sure if it was alignment or second on left, but swapped both to normal (secondary on the right, align with lower edge) and supcom loaded fine.
edit2: As Aeon vs (cybran, but I grabbed one of his engies early on) supreme AI on finns. 35 minutes, and one GC later...

haven't tried with the latest version
I can play single screen just fine (but cant scroll left :( )

I have the secondary screen on the left and not aligned with either top or bottom of the primary. I should play with those settings see if they make a difference.

You run ultramon on no?

OK, that was WAY too simple. Not sure if it was alignment or second on left, but swapped both to normal (secondary on the right, align with lower edge) and supcom loaded fine.
edit2: As Aeon vs (cybran, but I grabbed one of his engies early on) supreme AI on finns. 35 minutes, and one GC later...
you need to get the Sorian combined Ai mod, much better AI imo. But you should probably practice more against the Supreme, 1V1 i can take it out in about 15mins, they always just rush their Comm out like retards :p

you need to get the Sorian combined Ai mod, much better AI imo. But you should probably practice more against the Supreme, 1V1 i can take it out in about 15mins, they always just rush their Comm out like retards :p
a: I usually play against sorian chooser
b: it was just a quick test game
c: I dont think Ive EVER had a game last less than half an hour. My normal games are 1-3 hours
d: I could have easily taken him out earlier, I just wanted to have some fun with it.

A friend cant join my custom game on GPGnet without getting a black screen. He has an older nvidia agp card, could that be the problem? He probably hasnt ever updated his drivers, but he says its an overall Nvidia problem and that his google searches show lots of complaints. My Nvidia card plays it fine when he hosts a custom game, he just can't join my game. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Is it even a video issue? :confused:

New screenshots and a new trailer have been released, and, being a Supreme Commander fan, I'm extremely excited about Forged Alliance. The 100 new units will definitely be interesting as well as the introduction of a new faction.

Screens + Trailer here:
http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/200707/N07.0705.1621.07714.htm

The Seraphim experimental bomber looks like it has the potential to cause serious damage. A squadron of them was able to, in one sweep, destroy a Galactic Colossus, a Fatboy, and two Monkeylords.

Kick ass!! I hadn't heard about the expansion. I'm downloading the trailer as I type this.

As cool as that game was, I haven't played it in like months :confused:

It just didn't have any feel to it.

And no I don't like CC3.

I don't get how there is an expansion for it.. you completely destroy the other races when you finish the campaign :p

the cybran ending is the true ending, its doesnt destroy everything but i let QAI into the gate system and shut it down as wells as tearing a gaint hole in space to let the aliens in. If you read the previews at this point only UEF planets are jacked but the UEF are still there. Basicly the infinite war just weakens humanity so the aliens can come probe us with ease :(

That's dead sexy. I'm glad they're updating the AI. I usually play comp stomp games with a buddy or two and that was pretty hard to do with SupCom. Even Sorian's chooser AI wasn't particularly impressive, but I think it's optimized for 1v1 battles so that could be why.

In any case, T3 MMLs and T3 point defenses for UEF means I'm in heaven since I make heavy use of both in their current incarnations. I'm curious to see what their new experimental will be and get my hands on the seraphim.

Hm. To summarize:

- The new race in SC:FA is called the Seraphim.
- SC:FA adds approximately 110 units, 30 of which are/will be split evenly between the original three factions--including new tier 3 and experimental units. (The Cybran monstrosity seen in previous screenshots is apparently called a Megalith, which according to the article is jam-packed with torpedo launchers and a factory. Good lord.)

Im really excited to hear about all the improvements theyre making to graphics and pathfinding. That, on top of all the new units, and a whole new race, and new maps... this game is going to be ridiculous. Cant wait

And, once again, more information about the expansion & the GPG suprise that is coming very soon (aka - 44 day countdown). This post can be found on the SupCom forum courtesy to cFang (http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=15479):

"I have some answers for those of you who are still speculating about what the "Walking Brick" does as well as several of the other new units that will be coming with SC:FA. The September 2007 issue of PC Gamer ran a two page preview on the game and heres a bit of the information from the preview.

Cybran unit Info

-The the brick armored assault bot, known to many as the "walking brick" is described as being an amphibious, slow-moving, heavily armored bot which is equipped with a fast firing laser and light torpedoes when submerged.

-The "Crab Lord" was set to be the Megalith Amphibious Mega Bot and was called the Cybran's answer to the Fat Boy. It is capable of attacking land, air, and sea units. For AA, it uses flak cannons and the two low-arc mounted cannons deal area of effect damage to land and sea units. It is also equipped with torpedoes. This part is the most interesting to me, it also states that the Megalith can use mobile construction eggs to quickly construct any unit on the field of battle. Pretty neat.

UEF unit info

-The Percival Armored Assault bot is the new t3 bot for the UEF. It's the one that stands fairly tall and has a rather long gun on the right side of its body. The Percival is said to be designed for assaulting stationary enemy defenses and bases. It features excellent range and a high level of damage but does not fair very well against enemy units, only enemy structures. Looks like the UEF have a formidable turtle cracking unit now.

-The Spearhead Mobile Missile Platform is the new t3 missile launcher. The article states that it fires 3 tactical missiles in order to overwhelm tactical missile defense systems and to attack stationary enemy targets.

-The Novak Sub-Orbital Satellite is described as being an experimental unit which launches a satellite which then proceeds to slowly position itself above an enemy's base. The satellite can be controlled and commanded from the strategic zoom. Once its in position, it can rain down "pinpoint accurate destruction." The article mentions that the only way to destroy it is to destroy the control station for it at which point it will plummet out of the sky and crush anything under it.

Aeon unit Info

-Sprite Striker Sniper Bot is described as being a 'fast moving attack bot" that is designed to "attack slow-moving targets." Its weapon is extremely accurate with excellent range but it fires at a slower rate.

-Torrent Class Missile Ship is armed with long-range missiles that are capable of inflicting precise, extensive damage. It also carries an anti-torpedo defense system.

The article also mentions that the existing factions will get 10 new units apiece, with one of these new units being an experimental. It also hits on several new units such as an Aeon shield disruptor, anti-artillery tech for the UEF, and a crawling bomb for the Cybrans.

As for whats coming to GPGnet in 44 days, the article mentions that we should "Expect a free new downloadable unit pack, including a new tech 2 fighter-bomber, to hit GPGNet this August!""

"As for whats coming to GPGnet in 44 days, the article mentions that we should "Expect a free new downloadable unit pack, including a new tech 2 fighter-bomber, to hit GPGNet this August!"

Now thats supporting a game!

"As for whats coming to GPGnet in 44 days, the article mentions that we should "Expect a free new downloadable unit pack, including a new tech 2 fighter-bomber, to hit GPGNet this August!"

Now thats supporting a game!

I, too, have been impressed with most of their efforts to satisfy the community. They have had some mistakes... the map maker for one. Still, they keep constant communication which I think more companies should do to an extent.

I just wish SupCom was more like TA. :( Resources are way too easy to get and once the player hits T3, T2 and T1 units are completely useless for the most part. I don't like how higher ground gives a disadvantage (guns like to blow themselves up), how every ground unit can climb the same distance and various other things.

I, too, have been impressed with most of their efforts to satisfy the community. They have had some mistakes... the map maker for one. Still, they keep constant communication which I think more companies should do to an extent.

I just wish SupCom was more like TA. :( Resources are way too easy to get and once the player hits T3, T2 and T1 units are completely useless for the most part. I don't like how higher ground gives a disadvantage (guns like to blow themselves up), how every ground unit can climb the same distance and various other things.

Yeah I hate how placing turrets near the edge of a cliff is a BAD idea... since when has having the upper hand been a disadvantage in a fight? :p

When this game came out I played it a lot.
Then I got my Q6600 CPU and played it to death.
But I still have it installed and when this expansion comes out I will buy it for sure.

Back