Supreme Commander Thread!

Eihli said:
Very, very similiar to TA but the scale has been increased dramatically. Maps are massive and the unit cap is 5000. I can see matches taking hours. Few differences... like planes having fuel supplies and needing docking stations, and the patrol grouping is a very nice feature. You'll see the return of alot of units under difference names like the Big Bertha.

One thing I noticed is that the units almost always move in a single file line. If you have 300 mech marines and you tell them to move, they'll line up and move like they are a bunch of kids in a lunch line.

All-in-all it's most likely going to be a hit.

They won't move in formations if you tell them to, always single file?

There is a way to get them to walk/attack in different formations...

Yeah, my SC thread died out a while back. I'm pumped for this game, can't wait.

A few videos worth watching, in case they didn't get posted:

The E3 trailer: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3960130900956872152&q=supreme+commander

One of the first gameplay videos from E3, very similar to the trailer's action: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1304403414366135212&q=supreme+commander

There's a 30 minute video out there, but it seems to have disappeared. It shows off split screens and dual monitors, as well as some really cool stuff like a super unit surviving a nuke and the improved waypoint systems.

I have a hunch that my P4C 3.2 + X700 AGP will not quite be upto the task of running SC.

Now accepting donations. ;)

movax said:
I have a hunch that my P4C 3.2 + X700 AGP will not quite be upto the task of running SC.

Now accepting donations. ;)

From some of Taylor's comments at the presentations, I think they're making SC to be scalable, much like Half-Life 2. I ran HL2 on a P4 2.2 Ghz with a Radeon 7000 vidcard. It wasn't pretty, but it managed 50 fps and was still quite fun to play. SC won't likely run on that low-end a system, but I expect it will be able to "tune down" quite a bit so that we won't be forced to spend hundreds of dollars on upgrades to get the game running on a two-year-old system.

edit: which means that in a few years when hardware surpasses what SC was designed to run on, it's going to look INCREDIBLE :D

Oh, and can someone give us latecomers some updates on what's going on with the beta stuff? I really really want to get my hands on it, I missed out on this thread when all that stuff was posted and now all the links seem to be dead.

oh shit if we say SC how are we going to be able to tell if we are talking about starcraft or supreme commander? :eek: :confused: :eek:

Because of that, a lot of folks (including most of the GPG folks) tend to refer to Supreme Commander as simply SupCom.

tskiller said:
oh shit if we say SC how are we going to be able to tell if we are talking about starcraft or supreme commander? :eek: :confused: :eek:

Because TA > StarCraft, and SupComm is TA2 in everything but name. So SupComm trumps StarCraft as having the rights to SC :D

I hereby declare the new abbreviation for StarCraft to be *C.

Upset that I did the whole "reserve" beta for SC when it first came out, but never got a key, but apparently people who signed up for Fileplanet as of last night got a key. I've had a Fileplanet account for ages, and then some going back to my Quakespy account.

What gives?

AARGH!

For a beta its pretty tuned up so far. I think advance AI features are not fully implemented yet. However there is still 3 months or so till SupCom goes on the shelves! I suspect this game is going to be one of the best fully polished RTS we have seen for a long long time. Oh btw it does come with music and it kicks ass! I cant wait till the final gold verision hits the stores so I can hear more music tracks ;).

When i play the game i cannot scroll the screen by moving the mouse to the edge. Does anyone else notice this? I ended up just using arrow keys or zooming out and zooming in (which works very smoothly). Also, in the game i played i seemed to have infinate energy...even though i was supposed to be using -214.

tskiller said:
When i play the game i cannot scroll the screen by moving the mouse to the edge. Does anyone else notice this? I ended up just using arrow keys or zooming out and zooming in (which works very smoothly). Also, in the game i played i seemed to have infinate energy...even though i was supposed to be using -214.

Had the exact same problem, changed my resolution and now I get an error when I launch the game.

GAL Exception: DeviceD3D9.cpp invalid call

Game ran fine a dozen times until I changed the resolution and now this even after a new install.

x1800xt cat 6.9's

ElvishBoy311 said:
Had the exact same problem, changed my resolution and now I get an error when I launch the game.

Game ran fine a dozen times until I changed the resolution and now this even after a new install.

x1800xt cat 6.9's

Ouch :(

WEll, i changed resolution to my 1920x1200 WS on my 7800 gtx 512 and i still get the probs but atleast it lets me run mine :(

EDIT WHOOPS

IGN has a new hands on preview of this, aswell as a nice kickass video:

http://pc.ign.com/objects/755/755287.html

nullzero said:
Oh btw it does come with music and it kicks ass! I cant wait till the final gold verision hits the stores so I can hear more music tracks ;).

You made me laugh because I remember taking the TA CD out of my PC and playing it in my car from time to time. I did that with the WarCraft 2 CD, too. LOL Good times... :D

OK...I can't figure out how to turn sandbox mode on. Everytime I do a skirmish it loads one robot guy and then says I win after 10 seconds. Please help. Danke!

Harkamus said:
OK...I can't figure out how to turn sandbox mode on. Everytime I do a skirmish it loads one robot guy and then says I win after 10 seconds. Please help. Danke!

Its in the bottom right corner of the screen when you're configuring the skirmish settings. I missed it too at first.

Cousin Patty said:
Its in the bottom right corner of the screen when you're configuring the skirmish settings. I missed it too at first.
Yea, I just found it, and was gonna reply. Ah well. I'm bliiiiiiiind! :p

Hey...how the hell do you change the perspective of the camera? I wanna look at stuff from all different angles but i cant figure it out. the readme doesnt tell you either. it just tells you how to zoom in and out.

tskiller said:
IGN has a new hands on preview of this, aswell as a nice kickass video:

http://pc.ign.com/objects/755/755287.html
It sounds like IGN was at the same demo that PCG was at (SupCom is covered in the latest issue of PCG). Apparently one of the gamers in the tournament (IGN, perhaps?) managed to step on his own commander with the Monkey Lord and destroyed it outright.

I am really liking the sound of the navy. TA didn't focus enough on the navy aspects of the game I dont' think (there were the few levels). So that will hopefully be exciting.

I remember seeing the first few demo videos of TA waaay back when and thinking "damn, that's looks awesome." Same goes for this as well.

What is crazy is this game is still in beta, knowing how Chris Taylor is SupCom beta we are playing is most likely only 70%(if that...) of what the gold version will be. I havent seen the campaign and AI in full action yet. The modding prospects of this game alone make it a must have im sure it will become a mod favorite with everything from WW2 mods to Star Wars mods... The AI, GUI, UNITS, MAPS, almost everything is customizable from what Chris Taylor has said about the game.

Anybody get an AI opponent to work yet?
Looks like all the AI scripting is in there, just a matter of being able to add non-human players. I've been working through a few of the lua scripts relating to the lobby and player creation, but haven't been able to add an AI to the game yet.

ElvishBoy311 said:

x1800xt cat 6.9's

This error was posted on the gas powered forums... The fix is to go in and delete the 'prefs' file in your 'documents and settings - supcom' folder.

To NOT get this error again you CANT change your video options IN GAME. Only change your video options in the main menu before you start a match. This is a bug that will be fixed.

Cheers

How is the dual monitor gaming working for you guys on SupCom? I just ordered a second LCD which is on its way. Should have dual monitor setup by the end of the week.

Does anyone know what you have to do to build those huuuuge fucking walker or spider dudes? I cant seem to find them. maybe they arent in the beta?

tskiller said:
Does anyone know what you have to do to build those huuuuge fucking walker or spider dudes? I cant seem to find them. maybe they arent in the beta?

Haven't done those specific units, but I built the flying saucer with giant death ray in sandbox mode last night. You need a level 3 builder unit, and the super units are level 4 (aka experimental) buildings (units, whatever they're created from the level 3 builders).
If they're there, that's how you'd build them. (Like I said, haven't tried those paritcular units yet).

plink said:
This error was posted on the gas powered forums... The fix is to go in and delete the 'prefs' file in your 'documents and settings - supcom' folder.

To NOT get this error again you CANT change your video options IN GAME. Only change your video options in the main menu before you start a match. This is a bug that will be fixed.

Cheers

Found it, thanks a ton!

I'm signed up for the beta on fileplanet. No keys available right now though... guess I got in late. Looking foward to it though.

Haven't read the thread, don't have the time right now, but I saw this game on display at Comic Con earlier this year, and it was awesome. They didn't like to show the UI to us though because it wasn't complete, but it was fully functional. We had a nice little tech demo basically.

Just got done with a 1v1, I managed to build a few experimentals and this game is going to be insane. They need to allow units to idle and attack closer to each other, because 1000 units take up a massive amount of space and have serious pathfinding issues.

It left a a very, very good impression on me.

My favorite thing was the Aeon floating disc. I put a massive amount of aircraft in it's hangar, floated it to my opponents side and they swarmed out while it did on the independence day super attacks.

Eihli said:
My favorite thing was the Aeon floating disc. I put a massive amount of aircraft in it's hangar, floated it to my opponents side and they swarmed out while it did on the independence day super attacks.

oh man you are thinking the same thing i am with the independence day attacks

fucking epic. :D

Back