Supposed Picture of 390X watercooled Ed.

60w is a lot.
with that next year are we able to find 200w or less high end for the first time?
good for system oem builders for sure.

If the coolers can handle it without blowing out your ear drums, I hope we always see NV and AMD pushing performance up against the thermal ceiling. CLCs should raise this 250W ceiling we've been at for a few years a good 150W. And they are also more effective at removing the heat out of your case than even a blower.

GPUs are one thing I hope to not see go the efficiency only route any time soon. We've still got 4K to push, VR to push, and lots of compute applications that aren't interested in efficiency but pure performance instead.

There's always the mid-range for lower power parts.

and my friend seen the official triple-fan version of this Fiji card... it's nice, but it's so long that there's very little clearance to fit in most ATX cases. (longest card ever made!) also because PCB is half the size, the fans blows thru cooler out the other side up the case instead of to the side.

Shit, it's longer than the Voodoo 5 6000? So much for a completely air-cooled ITX rig...

to anyone still doubting, i can confirm the pic that Wccftech guys got of the WCE is the real deal.

and my friend seen the official triple-fan version of this Fiji card... it's nice, but it's so long that there's very little clearance to fit in most ATX cases. (longest card ever made!) also because PCB is half the size, the fans blows thru cooler out the other side up the case instead of to the side.

This doesn't make any sense.
You say it is the longest card ever, but then say the PCB is half the size... so it isn't the longest card ever...
Roughly 6 inches, if the pictures are accurate, and you are saying the cooler is 12in long? That is pretty much the same size as all the other triple fan models from both sides from all the AIBS...

This doesn't make any sense.
You say it is the longest card ever, but then say the PCB is half the size... so it isn't the longest card ever...
Roughly 6 inches, if the pictures are accurate, and you are saying the cooler is 12in long? That is pretty much the same size as all the other triple fan models from both sides from all the AIBS...
Most people include the length of the cooler in the total length of the card.

Probably a 6" card with a 12" cooler. That's been done before plenty of times. There's no way they will have enough cooling capacity to dissipate 300w with just a 6" air cooler.

There's no way they will have enough cooling capacity to dissipate 300w with just a 6" air cooler.

hqdefault.jpg

:D :D :D

If I run single GPU, could I theoretically do something like that as long as I prop up the heatsink from the bottom of my case? I saw a guy on YouTube benchmark his card like that a few years ago but it was just one shitty test.

Now you've got me thinking about strapping a D15 to my video card.

Most people include the length of the cooler in the total length of the card.

Probably a 6" card with a 12" cooler. That's been done before plenty of times. There's no way they will have enough cooling capacity to dissipate 300w with just a 6" air cooler.

Correct, I was just pointing out and explaining why it wouldn't be the "longest card ever."
If you don't go with a triple fan design to handle +400w and go with a double fan design you can easily get a 10" cooler to handle 300-400w.

Correct, I was just pointing out and explaining why it wouldn't be the "longest card ever."
If you don't go with a triple fan design to handle +400w and go with a double fan design you can easily get a 10" cooler to handle 300-400w.

You could, but you probably wouldn't want to spend a ton of time near it. :p

Zarathustra[H];1041597608 said:
You could, but you probably wouldn't want to spend a ton of time near it. :p

Why? It is going to put out the same amount of heat regardless of what size the cooler is, disregarding leakage.

Having more fans displaces the heat faster, so a card with only two fans will have more heat in its immediate vicinity despite putting out the same amount of total heat. Same can be said about the size and quality of the heatsink. He was just making a joke, though...

Having more fans displaces the heat faster, so a card with only two fans will have more heat in its immediate vicinity despite putting out the same amount of total heat. Same can be said about the size and quality of the heatsink. He was just making a joke, though...

That's also questionable unless you are using an open testbed or meant "displaces the heat faster from the heatsink."
Edit- I didn't realize factually inaccurate jokes are funny.

Why? It is going to put out the same amount of heat regardless of what size the cooler is, disregarding leakage.
I was thinking noise when I read this, but either way.

Next GPU upgrade I do will be custom loop water cooled. I'm tired of my PC being so loud, and after 18 months with reference cooled 290Xs in CFX I don't care how much it costs.

I was thinking because of the fan noise?

I guess some people aren't bothered by it, but to me, the fan noise detracts from the experience. The closer to silent the better.

I was thinking noise when I read this, but either way.

Next GPU upgrade I do will be custom loop water cooled. I'm tired of my PC being so loud, and after 18 months with reference cooled 290Xs in CFX I don't care how much it costs.

There is nothing better then a full closed loop my friend...My 290 flies under water, 35% core OC, and is silent..I started with a lot of used parts from the FS Forum here, and then added to it over time with new and used parts...

You can get some insane deals on the FS forum if you look [H]ard enough...

On the 390X note, I will have a 8GB model if they are under $650..Anything over that and I will most likely just grab the 4GB model (unless it is only like $50 less)...

Well current rumors are that even the 4GB 390X is going to be $849, and the 8GB card either will never come, or get released (much) later. I personally don't take much stock in the rumored price, however I do strongly believe if the 8GB 390X is a thing, it won't go for a penny under $700.

As for the custom loop, watch out for fittings. Damn things add up exponentially especially if you buy new and Bitspower only. I easily blew 50% of my budget on fittings alone. Mind you I have a ridiculous setup with like 18 elbow fittings, 3 pairs of quick disconnects and 2 ball valves, so I definitely spent a lot more on fittings than the average watercooler.

Does look nice, interesting how he cut the pic of, you can see pretty much the far edge of the card but not the part with the liquid tubes, you can see the silver part on the radeon logo is sort of curving inwards so presumably just after that is where the tubing would be. Doesn't seem to be any place for a fan either so must be a custom aio and block that covers all the internals of the card.

He cut out the tubes because the card hasn't been announced to use water yet.

Common knowledge by this point though, if the card in the pic was air cooled the fan would have to be up in one of the corner edges as you can see to much of it for it to be anywhere else. :p

Common knowledge by this point though, if the card in the pic was air cooled the fan would have to be up in one of the corner edges as you can see to much of it for it to be anywhere else. :p
You just have to keep in mind what AMD has confirmed and what people are still learning via rumors (and common knowledge). AMD wants to be the ones to reveal that the card officially uses a CLC, they don't want that info being confirmed by a random tweet.

This picture reveals nothing new as AMD has already shown this half of the card in their own slides.
The pic was intentionally taken from that angle to hide anything new.

You just have to keep in mind what AMD has confirmed and what people are still learning via rumors (and common knowledge). AMD wants to be the ones to reveal that the card officially uses a CLC, they don't want that info being confirmed by a random tweet.

This picture reveals nothing new as AMD has already shown this half of the card in their own slides.
The pic was intentionally taken from that angle to hide anything new.

At the very least we now know they're "in the wild" so to speak. Not long to wait now :)

Back