Supposed Picture of 390X watercooled Ed.

If no air and just water, this could be the perfect Crossfire card. I hope they would have also vanilla 390 water editions ready.

Still needs some air for VRMs whether that is doable passively is unlikely IMO.

Brings up an interesting point on the aircooled versions, how do you fit a massive +10" heatsink on a small form factor card? You use a different PCB? Have a support bracket/backplate?

Dumb question. What's the advantage of the small form factor for the majority of people with mid-full size towers? Couldn't they just pack more shit onto a full length card? Or at the very least I'd think extending it would allow for more heat distribution.

Dumb question. What's the advantage of the small form factor for the majority of people with mid-full size towers? Couldn't they just pack more shit onto a full length card? Or at the very least I'd think extending it would allow for more heat distribution.

Better air flow, less sagging (though with water block it may not work). But IMO - having small form factor helps most with cost cutting - you don't need two variants of PCB for the cards, you can just order one kind of it, and sell it to both small factor builders and full desktop.

Wow small form factor and WC all in 1? Talk about fucking badass!!!

Think about it, if its around the same speed as a Titan X, Having that in a small ass case would be badass!!!

And to anyone bitching about WC in a SSF case, 99% of all mitx cases have 1 120mm fan.

Now, the thing that really matters is performance. All this is great, but if its as fast a 980, then.....meh.

Of course all speculation.

Well if the 390X will actually retail for $700+, I guarantee it'll be quite a bit faster than the 980. Otherwise it's pretty much DOA.

So apparently the whole thing is underwater....that or they really need to get a better photographer.

Well lets just pretend those specs are right. That's 5% higher core clock and 45% more cores. It should be 20-25% faster than an OC'd 980 right out of the box. I'd have to imagine it'd OC half decently... plus whatever HBM buys it. I'm still not sold on HBM doing a whole hell of a lot quite yet.

It does seem quite short.

edit: So where did he get the picture from...?

Brings up an interesting point on the aircooled versions, how do you fit a massive +10" heatsink on a small form factor card? You use a different PCB? Have a support bracket/backplate?
Blank PCB that extends a few inches farther.
Check out some of the wide PCB cards that Nvidia has used.

You could also just mount it to an extended backplate, like what the GTX 760 used.

It does seem quite short.

edit: So where did he get the picture from...?

Blank PCB that extends a few inches farther.
Check out some of the wide PCB cards that Nvidia has used.

You could also just mount it to an extended backplate, like what the GTX 760 used.

Exactly! It worked great for the 670/760 cards.

This card has me interested, but performance is what I want to know about. is HBM all its cracked up to be? A lot of questions will be answered hopefully next month.

Very interested in this card and visit WCCF quite often (too much). I've never seen a website touting CONFIRMED moreso than these guys. Their writing style is awful, grammar poor and most of what they post is speculation/complete nonsense. A ton of the posts allude to this as well, they need some better writers, like [H]!

Too bad it went to them and not someone who actually deserves the traffic.
I don't know who that would be, but not WCCFTech. I guess an intern at AMD has a hard-on for them.

Well if the 390X will actually retail for $700+, I guarantee it'll be quite a bit faster than the 980. Otherwise it's pretty much DOA.

that is why 980ti is what is gonna be out soon to compete against it fool. Like 980 will get a price drop soon. 700$ price tag for that 390x is 99% for sure gonna be only 4gb ram card.

Still needs some air for VRMs whether that is doable passively is unlikely IMO.

Based on what? they are boasting 50% power savings for the HBM vs GDDR5, only the hottest cards of the last few gens have required active VRM cooling...

that is why 980ti is what is gonna be out soon to compete against it fool. Like 980 will get a price drop soon. 700$ price tag for that 390x is 99% for sure gonna be only 4gb ram card.

Where are you getting 99% sure only 4GB. Would be suicide not to have a 8GB version

Based on what? they are boasting 50% power savings for the HBM vs GDDR5, only the hottest cards of the last few gens have required active VRM cooling...

Because power savings from HBM just allows them to add more units to Fiji and clock it higher. It is still going to be a ~250-275w card, i.e. roughly the same amount of power going to the VRMs, just with less of the power being dedicated to the memory ICs and interface.

The 50% power savings is for the RAM only and will simply amount to single-digit savings, RAM sips power as it is.

The 50% power savings is for the RAM only and will simply amount to single-digit savings, RAM sips power as it is.

False. It is the memory IC's and the interface which in some cases amounts up to a third of the power consumed.

False. It is the memory IC's and the interface which in some cases amounts up to a third of the power consumed.
Ohhh, so that's why overclocking RAM adds significantly to the power draw of a GPU?

(it doesn't)

FYI: http://www.samsung.com/us/business/oem-solutions/pdfs/Green-GDDR5.pdf

Even 1.5v GDDR5 consumes only a bit more power than the 1.35v Samsung chip in the above. The Samsung chips in that PDF are lower density, but power doesn't scale linearly in higher density modules. At any rate, let's say that AMD could swap the 290X to HBM, drop-in repacement for the GDDR5 that is in place right now. You wouldn't see a significant drop in power, not enough to write home about. Yes, power efficiency is good, but HBM is not the magic wand that everyone is thinking it is, it is simply a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Ohhh, so that's why overclocking RAM adds significantly to the power draw of a GPU?

(it doesn't)

FYI: http://www.samsung.com/us/business/oem-solutions/pdfs/Green-GDDR5.pdf

It isn't 2010 anymore...
http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/AMD-HBM-Die-Stacked-Memory.jpeg

Even 1.5v GDDR5 consumes only a bit more power than the 1.35v Samsung chip in the above. The Samsung chips in that PDF are lower density, but power doesn't scale linearly in higher density modules. At any rate, let's say that AMD could swap the 290X to HBM, drop-in repacement for the GDDR5 that is in place right now. You wouldn't see a significant drop in power, not enough to write home about. Yes, power efficiency is good, but HBM is not the magic wand that everyone is thinking it is, it is simply a step in the right direction.

Again, HBM isn't just about saving power consumed by the ICs, which is still ~40-50%, and around ~15-30w of savings depending on the amount of VRAM, but also saving power with the interface, decreasing complexity of the memory controllers as well as PCB complexity.
It is all around better, even better than the jump from GDDR3 to GDDR5.

Other than the fact that HBM isn't a drop in replacement to GDDR5, if you could do that with Hawaii, it would be a ~200-215w card which is down from ~250-275w. You would write home about that.

Last edited:
I welcome a water cooled card, I would love lower temperatures and hopefully the fan won't be too loud under load. Need at least 8GB as well, because 4GB would be disappointing and I'm on 4K.

wtf are you on about? I was responding to DA_SHlT's comment about the 390X being "meh" if it only matched the 980, especially since the rumored price tag is $700+ USD from a semi-reliable German source.

So again, a $700+ USD 390X that just matches the 980 is not "meh", it's DOA, and there will be very few buyers. At the very least I won't be touching it.

So apparently the whole thing is underwater....that or they really need to get a better photographer.

Or it's meant to tease without giving too much away?

Well lets just pretend those specs are right. That's 5% higher core clock and 45% more cores. It should be 20-25% faster than an OC'd 980 right out of the box. I'd have to imagine it'd OC half decently... plus whatever HBM buys it. I'm still not sold on HBM doing a whole hell of a lot quite yet.

Then there's architectural improvements.

If it has 8gb ram and even similar performance to my 980, I'll be selling the GTX and going with the 390x. AMD needs some love

Again, HBM isn't just about saving power consumed by the ICs, which is still ~40-50%, and around ~15-30w of savings depending on the amount of VRAM, but also saving power with the interface, decreasing complexity of the memory controllers as well as PCB complexity.
It is all around better, even better than the jump from GDDR3 to GDDR5.

Other than the fact that HBM isn't a drop in replacement to GDDR5, if you could do that with Hawaii, it would be a ~200-215w card which is down from ~250-275w. You would write home about that.

One thing would be a question, if slides show HBM chips on some what be a big chip. Question comes to mind is heat that those chips will get subjected to. the water cooled one won't be an issue but air cooled ones it will be. Wonder if that will be long term issues.

wtf are you on about? I was responding to DA_SHlT's comment about the 390X being "meh" if it only matched the 980, especially since the rumored price tag is $700+ USD from a semi-reliable German source.

So again, a $700+ USD 390X that just matches the 980 is not "meh", it's DOA, and there will be very few buyers. At the very least I won't be touching it.

390x will be faster then 980, that is a given. The question is the 980ti, rumor puts that as titan x with half the ram and who knows what other things. So 390x if it ships for 700$ for 4gb which is ouch as it is. If nvidia does some price drops on 970/980 and puts 980ti with say 600-650$ price tag that could be ugly for AMD.

One thing would be a question, if slides show HBM chips on some what be a big chip. Question comes to mind is heat that those chips will get subjected to. the water cooled one won't be an issue but air cooled ones it will be. Wonder if that will be long term issues.

That is a good question.
One thing to remember is that HBM isn't 3d stacked on the GPU but placed right next to it on an interposer.
I know that HBM has a conservatively lower maximum temp threshold than previous memory but that only puts it at the max level of the hottest GPUs to date. Hynix has found that having a moderate number of "dummy bumps" (10-15%) allows for near maximum thermal dissipation of the entire stack. The TSV's themselves also allow for some thermal dissipation.

What I don't know, because I haven't read up on it, is what sort of effect the interposer will have on thermals.

Why does it need a AIO water cooler? Is it that inefficient and produces that much heat this these AIOs have become "acceptable" solutions for AMD cards?

This is why... plus, it puts out as much heat as Titan X. I'm guessing you rather have a more expensive, lower performing, louder, hotter card?
1gzMZ.jpg

Looks more and more likely that the VRMs are also cooled by the block.

Last edited:
Why does it need a AIO water cooler? Is it that inefficient and produces that much heat this these AIOs have become "acceptable" solutions for AMD cards?

Considering theres also going to be an air cooled version.....

This is why... plus, it puts out as much heat as Titan X. I'm guessing you rather have a more expensive, lower performing, louder, hotter card?
1gzMZ.jpg

Looks more and more likely that the VRMs are also cooled by the block.

I like the looks of that.

Are they using a full block or something? You can't passively cool VRM with no fans at all. Unless there's a tiny fan inside. Neat.

Chiphell's pic matches WCCFTech's btw.

Back