Street Fighter V (Exclusive to PS4 and PC!)

Domingo

[H]ard as it Gets
They did add some significant parts to the game, the base game that shipped was held together with duct tape, did not even have an arcade mode. With these fighting games I have no intention at all to play random people on the internet, so not having an arcade mode to me was a huge ommision and it took them almost a year to add it.

Pure money grab and more of a work in progress then a finished game, one would almost think it was published by EA.
I never really got the need for an "arcade" mode. The game shipped with a mode where you play the CPU characters in random order for 10, 50, or 100 matches in a row. It includes power ups and stat boosts based on your performance. They even have a boss in the form of Necalli at the end each time. I think it just tripped people up that they didn't call it arcade mode and they included the plot in a separate section. The game shipped half-finished, but it really did have an arcade mode under a different name.
In terms of the gameplay, the difference in what we have now and what the game shipped with is pretty minimal. We have additional V-triggers, more characters (at $7 a pop), and some balance tweaks. Compared to Alpha, the 3 series, and 4 that's minor stuff.

Domingo

[H]ard as it Gets
...and the last character for Season 4 is Seth. Oddly, Seth is now female. She can steal individual special attacks from opponents and seems to have a unique moveset that revolves around teleport attacks.
Seth isn't due until February, but last night Capcom rolled out a new balance patch (that includes v-skill 2 options) and Gill. Their patch notes are vague, so it's tough to tell how much they actually changed. The new v-skills range from game changing to lazy at best.
I still think the whole "Champion Edition" think is really confusing. Even Ono can't seem to explain it.

Armenius

I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital
...and the last character for Season 4 is Seth. Oddly, Seth is now female. She can steal individual special attacks from opponents and seems to have a unique moveset that revolves around teleport attacks.
Seth isn't due until February, but last night Capcom rolled out a new balance patch (that includes v-skill 2 options) and Gill. Their patch notes are vague, so it's tough to tell how much they actually changed. The new v-skills range from game changing to lazy at best.
I still think the whole "Champion Edition" think is really confusing. Even Ono can't seem to explain it.
From memory Seth is supposed to be a genderless android meant as a replacement body for Vega, and it can technically take any form it wants.

Domingo

[H]ard as it Gets
I get the feeling we're nearing the end of SF5.
Most definitely. I'd be willing to bet they don't add any more characters or new mechanics. We'll probably see a mid-year balance patch to fix anything game-breaking, but I doubt we see much else.
I do expect to see a Street Fighter 6 (or whatever they call it) announcement this time next year, though. That aligns perfectly with their announced 5-year plan and the release of the new consoles.

Some people are still hoping for Tekken x Street Fighter, but new reports have come out that Namco has just incorporated those assets into Tekken 7. A quick glance at Fahkumram lends a LOT to that theory.

J3RK

[H]ardForum Junkie
Bought the Champion Edition upgrade yesterday. It filled in a few gaps that I hadn't bought DLC for, and seems to be an overall decent package. The only thing is, it's showing ads between matches. I was under the impression that these could be disabled somehow, unless they are now forced in CE. I didn't see an option for them. After buying SFV, SFV Arcade, 3.75 of the DLC plus some extras, and now this upgrade kit, I'm kind of pissed that it's forcing these on me.

Otherwise, it's not bad, and there are a few characters that I never got around to trying before. Now to search for a way to ditch those ads. :D

Edit: Of course, it's in the only menu I didn't check. "Battle Settings" :p

Last edited:

Domingo

[H]ard as it Gets
The game is likely feature complete at this point. Well, at least once the netcode patch arrives next week. The homemade netcode patches are pretty fantastic vs. other PC players, but I guess they screw over PS4 players. This fix should apply to everyone.
Ono mentioned a balance patch after the end of the first 1/2 of the competitive season, but that's just going to be frame data and move property tweaks.
Overall, I've enjoyed SF5. It's way more fundamental and less technical than SF4, but I think we probably needed that. Hopefully SF6 (or Alpha 4 or whatever they call it) is a shift in direction as well.

I still hop on an play SF5 regularly, but I haven't picked up a new character in forever. I could play a dozen characters reliably in the other games, but SF5's entire structure kinda forces you to choose a character and stick with them. In my case, that's been Zangief since day 1.

TheToE!

[H] Brewmaster
I think 5 was a total step backwards from 4. SF4 had this amazing art style. Felt really polished, required skill to combo, had interesting new characters, and was an actual complete game upon release! Wasn't perfect by any stretch but i loved it. Pro matches were actually hype to watch. Now, meh. Hopefully they'll go more that direction with their next game. I think it would be bad ass to go back to some hand drawn shit mixed with 3d. Haha remember that intro song for SF4 lol what an atrocious gay song.

Domingo

[H]ard as it Gets
I don't really mind the look of SF5, but it definitely shipped as a 1/2 finished game.
I'm also not crazy about the way the game relies on frame data pressure. It's almost like Tekken now. While not applicable to every character, the majority of characters win via spamming 2-3 normal attacks mixed with 50/50 throw setups. There isn't much room for personal style and it's why nearly every high-level match looks the same. You've seen 1 Rashid, Ibuki, Akuma, Cammy, Chun, Karin, etc. match and you've seen 'em all. That applies to like 1/2 the cast. It's one reason people are willing to put up with "robbery" characters like Abigail, G, Laura, and Urien. At least they add a little bit of hype to things. Even B.S. is more exciting that watching Cammy and Karin spam 2 normals and a throw endlessly.

SOAREVERSOR

Limp Gawd
I think 5 was a total step backwards from 4. SF4 had this amazing art style. Felt really polished, required skill to combo, had interesting new characters, and was an actual complete game upon release! Wasn't perfect by any stretch but i loved it. Pro matches were actually hype to watch. Now, meh. Hopefully they'll go more that direction with their next game. I think it would be bad ass to go back to some hand drawn shit mixed with 3d. Haha remember that intro song for SF4 lol what an atrocious gay song.
4 was a step back from three, which was a step back from alpha

J3RK

[H]ardForum Junkie
I like all of them really, though Super SF2, Alpha 2, IV, and V are my favorites for various reasons. I still play most of them from time to time. I probably play V the most these days though, because it's on my living-room PC, and lends itself well to casual living-room matches. I honestly don't dislike any of them really, I just like some more than others. I don't play online at all.

Domingo

[H]ard as it Gets
I like them all as well. I'd say 4 was probably the best of the bunch, though. It captured what made the old SF2-era games great, but with a lot more nuance. The final version of 4 had 1/2 the cast as legit viable options to win major tournaments or casual matches.

I have a soft spot for the oldest games, but they're straight up broken compared to the new games. Match-ups are everything and nearly every character can end a match with 1 wrong guess. Either that or you have Dhalsim, Dee Jay, Guile, Vega, etc. that have tools so strong that 1/2 the cast is 7/3 against them. Players are basically expected to end the match in 1 exchange in order to keep up.

I loved the Alpha games, but nearly all of them had a major flaw. In the first one, chain combos made landing a jab = 35-50% damage every time. In the second one custom combos made everything a waiting game when anyone had meter. In Alpha 3 that was even more pronounced. Luckily there were other "isms" in that one so you could always have your own "house rules" to prohibit that nonsense.

3 was a lot like 5 currently is. Lots of normal attack pokes and grabs galore thanks to parrying. At low and medium levels those games were sloppy as hell because everything was designed for paper/rock/scissors thanks to parrying. The risk/reward/timing for parrying was so tight, it wasn't really even done by non-experts. At high levels it's a think of beauty, though. Thing is, even if the game did have a ton of nuance - it was never balanced. A handful of characters dominated. There's also the odd character design, which I still consider mostly abysmal. Necro? Oro? Yun, Twelve? Even their good designs involved a lot of unnatural movement, stretchy limbs, giant hands/feet, etc. It's also the most pixletated of the bunch thanks to the additional animation.

4saken

[H]ardForum Junkie
I like them all as well. I'd say 4 was probably the best of the bunch, though. It captured what made the old SF2-era games great, but with a lot more nuance. The final version of 4 had 1/2 the cast as legit viable options to win major tournaments or casual matches.

I have a soft spot for the oldest games, but they're straight up broken compared to the new games. Match-ups are everything and nearly every character can end a match with 1 wrong guess. Either that or you have Dhalsim, Dee Jay, Guile, Vega, etc. that have tools so strong that 1/2 the cast is 7/3 against them. Players are basically expected to end the match in 1 exchange in order to keep up.

I loved the Alpha games, but nearly all of them had a major flaw. In the first one, chain combos made landing a jab = 35-50% damage every time. In the second one custom combos made everything a waiting game when anyone had meter. In Alpha 3 that was even more pronounced. Luckily there were other "isms" in that one so you could always have your own "house rules" to prohibit that nonsense.

3 was a lot like 5 currently is. Lots of normal attack pokes and grabs galore thanks to parrying. At low and medium levels those games were sloppy as hell because everything was designed for paper/rock/scissors thanks to parrying. The risk/reward/timing for parrying was so tight, it wasn't really even done by non-experts. At high levels it's a think of beauty, though. Thing is, even if the game did have a ton of nuance - it was never balanced. A handful of characters dominated. There's also the odd character design, which I still consider mostly abysmal. Necro? Oro? Yun, Twelve? Even their good designs involved a lot of unnatural movement, stretchy limbs, giant hands/feet, etc. It's also the most pixletated of the bunch thanks to the additional animation.

Agreed, imo 4 was the pinnacle of the series and competition. I have a few hours in 5 I use my Razer Panthera with, but I just can't seem to get into it as much.

Domingo

[H]ard as it Gets
If anyone is trying to get into 5, right now is probably as good as it's going to get. They've been doing a promo where you can get all of the Champion Edition content for free so there are a lot of new players. Once you hit the silver ranks I'd suspect most of those players have been around a while. It pulls your casual match opponents based on what your rank is. I've intentionally stayed as silver because it's where something like 70% of the player base is. Some are horrible and some are tournament player level, so it's a nice mix. I played ranked long enough to get to super silver and never touched that mode again.

Anyway, based on Capcom's history I strongly suspect we'll see the next game in the Street Fighter series fairly close to the new console launches. It could be 6, Alpha 4, a new Vs. title, or even the long delayed 2nd x Tekken game. Based on the weird interactions I've seen with Harada lately, I kinda think Tekken x SF is on the way. Tekken 7 will have run its course once Fahkumram launches so the timing works for both titles.

Reactions: J3RK
like this