Street Fighter V (Exclusive to PS4 and PC!)

They did add some significant parts to the game, the base game that shipped was held together with duct tape, did not even have an arcade mode. With these fighting games I have no intention at all to play random people on the internet, so not having an arcade mode to me was a huge ommision and it took them almost a year to add it.

Pure money grab and more of a work in progress then a finished game, one would almost think it was published by EA.

I never really got the need for an "arcade" mode. The game shipped with a mode where you play the CPU characters in random order for 10, 50, or 100 matches in a row. It includes power ups and stat boosts based on your performance. They even have a boss in the form of Necalli at the end each time. I think it just tripped people up that they didn't call it arcade mode and they included the plot in a separate section. The game shipped half-finished, but it really did have an arcade mode under a different name.
In terms of the gameplay, the difference in what we have now and what the game shipped with is pretty minimal. We have additional V-triggers, more characters (at $7 a pop), and some balance tweaks. Compared to Alpha, the 3 series, and 4 that's minor stuff.

...and the last character for Season 4 is Seth. Oddly, Seth is now female. She can steal individual special attacks from opponents and seems to have a unique moveset that revolves around teleport attacks.
Seth isn't due until February, but last night Capcom rolled out a new balance patch (that includes v-skill 2 options) and Gill. Their patch notes are vague, so it's tough to tell how much they actually changed. The new v-skills range from game changing to lazy at best.
I still think the whole "Champion Edition" think is really confusing. Even Ono can't seem to explain it.

...and the last character for Season 4 is Seth. Oddly, Seth is now female. She can steal individual special attacks from opponents and seems to have a unique moveset that revolves around teleport attacks.
Seth isn't due until February, but last night Capcom rolled out a new balance patch (that includes v-skill 2 options) and Gill. Their patch notes are vague, so it's tough to tell how much they actually changed. The new v-skills range from game changing to lazy at best.
I still think the whole "Champion Edition" think is really confusing. Even Ono can't seem to explain it.
From memory Seth is supposed to be a genderless android meant as a replacement body for Vega, and it can technically take any form it wants.

I get the feeling we're nearing the end of SF5.

Most definitely. I'd be willing to bet they don't add any more characters or new mechanics. We'll probably see a mid-year balance patch to fix anything game-breaking, but I doubt we see much else.
I do expect to see a Street Fighter 6 (or whatever they call it) announcement this time next year, though. That aligns perfectly with their announced 5-year plan and the release of the new consoles.

Some people are still hoping for Tekken x Street Fighter, but new reports have come out that Namco has just incorporated those assets into Tekken 7. A quick glance at Fahkumram lends a LOT to that theory.

Bought the Champion Edition upgrade yesterday. It filled in a few gaps that I hadn't bought DLC for, and seems to be an overall decent package. The only thing is, it's showing ads between matches. I was under the impression that these could be disabled somehow, unless they are now forced in CE. I didn't see an option for them. After buying SFV, SFV Arcade, 3.75 of the DLC plus some extras, and now this upgrade kit, I'm kind of pissed that it's forcing these on me.

Otherwise, it's not bad, and there are a few characters that I never got around to trying before. Now to search for a way to ditch those ads. :D

Edit: Of course, it's in the only menu I didn't check. "Battle Settings" :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The game is likely feature complete at this point. Well, at least once the netcode patch arrives next week. The homemade netcode patches are pretty fantastic vs. other PC players, but I guess they screw over PS4 players. This fix should apply to everyone.
Ono mentioned a balance patch after the end of the first 1/2 of the competitive season, but that's just going to be frame data and move property tweaks.
Overall, I've enjoyed SF5. It's way more fundamental and less technical than SF4, but I think we probably needed that. Hopefully SF6 (or Alpha 4 or whatever they call it) is a shift in direction as well.

I still hop on an play SF5 regularly, but I haven't picked up a new character in forever. I could play a dozen characters reliably in the other games, but SF5's entire structure kinda forces you to choose a character and stick with them. In my case, that's been Zangief since day 1.

I think 5 was a total step backwards from 4. SF4 had this amazing art style. Felt really polished, required skill to combo, had interesting new characters, and was an actual complete game upon release! Wasn't perfect by any stretch but i loved it. Pro matches were actually hype to watch. Now, meh. Hopefully they'll go more that direction with their next game. I think it would be bad ass to go back to some hand drawn shit mixed with 3d. Haha remember that intro song for SF4 lol what an atrocious gay song.

I don't really mind the look of SF5, but it definitely shipped as a 1/2 finished game.
I'm also not crazy about the way the game relies on frame data pressure. It's almost like Tekken now. While not applicable to every character, the majority of characters win via spamming 2-3 normal attacks mixed with 50/50 throw setups. There isn't much room for personal style and it's why nearly every high-level match looks the same. You've seen 1 Rashid, Ibuki, Akuma, Cammy, Chun, Karin, etc. match and you've seen 'em all. That applies to like 1/2 the cast. It's one reason people are willing to put up with "robbery" characters like Abigail, G, Laura, and Urien. At least they add a little bit of hype to things. Even B.S. is more exciting that watching Cammy and Karin spam 2 normals and a throw endlessly.

I think 5 was a total step backwards from 4. SF4 had this amazing art style. Felt really polished, required skill to combo, had interesting new characters, and was an actual complete game upon release! Wasn't perfect by any stretch but i loved it. Pro matches were actually hype to watch. Now, meh. Hopefully they'll go more that direction with their next game. I think it would be bad ass to go back to some hand drawn shit mixed with 3d. Haha remember that intro song for SF4 lol what an atrocious gay song.

4 was a step back from three, which was a step back from alpha

I like all of them really, though Super SF2, Alpha 2, IV, and V are my favorites for various reasons. I still play most of them from time to time. I probably play V the most these days though, because it's on my living-room PC, and lends itself well to casual living-room matches. I honestly don't dislike any of them really, I just like some more than others. I don't play online at all.

I like them all as well. I'd say 4 was probably the best of the bunch, though. It captured what made the old SF2-era games great, but with a lot more nuance. The final version of 4 had 1/2 the cast as legit viable options to win major tournaments or casual matches.

I have a soft spot for the oldest games, but they're straight up broken compared to the new games. Match-ups are everything and nearly every character can end a match with 1 wrong guess. Either that or you have Dhalsim, Dee Jay, Guile, Vega, etc. that have tools so strong that 1/2 the cast is 7/3 against them. Players are basically expected to end the match in 1 exchange in order to keep up.

I loved the Alpha games, but nearly all of them had a major flaw. In the first one, chain combos made landing a jab = 35-50% damage every time. In the second one custom combos made everything a waiting game when anyone had meter. In Alpha 3 that was even more pronounced. Luckily there were other "isms" in that one so you could always have your own "house rules" to prohibit that nonsense.

3 was a lot like 5 currently is. Lots of normal attack pokes and grabs galore thanks to parrying. At low and medium levels those games were sloppy as hell because everything was designed for paper/rock/scissors thanks to parrying. The risk/reward/timing for parrying was so tight, it wasn't really even done by non-experts. At high levels it's a think of beauty, though. Thing is, even if the game did have a ton of nuance - it was never balanced. A handful of characters dominated. There's also the odd character design, which I still consider mostly abysmal. Necro? Oro? Yun, Twelve? Even their good designs involved a lot of unnatural movement, stretchy limbs, giant hands/feet, etc. It's also the most pixletated of the bunch thanks to the additional animation.

I like them all as well. I'd say 4 was probably the best of the bunch, though. It captured what made the old SF2-era games great, but with a lot more nuance. The final version of 4 had 1/2 the cast as legit viable options to win major tournaments or casual matches.

I have a soft spot for the oldest games, but they're straight up broken compared to the new games. Match-ups are everything and nearly every character can end a match with 1 wrong guess. Either that or you have Dhalsim, Dee Jay, Guile, Vega, etc. that have tools so strong that 1/2 the cast is 7/3 against them. Players are basically expected to end the match in 1 exchange in order to keep up.

I loved the Alpha games, but nearly all of them had a major flaw. In the first one, chain combos made landing a jab = 35-50% damage every time. In the second one custom combos made everything a waiting game when anyone had meter. In Alpha 3 that was even more pronounced. Luckily there were other "isms" in that one so you could always have your own "house rules" to prohibit that nonsense.

3 was a lot like 5 currently is. Lots of normal attack pokes and grabs galore thanks to parrying. At low and medium levels those games were sloppy as hell because everything was designed for paper/rock/scissors thanks to parrying. The risk/reward/timing for parrying was so tight, it wasn't really even done by non-experts. At high levels it's a think of beauty, though. Thing is, even if the game did have a ton of nuance - it was never balanced. A handful of characters dominated. There's also the odd character design, which I still consider mostly abysmal. Necro? Oro? Yun, Twelve? Even their good designs involved a lot of unnatural movement, stretchy limbs, giant hands/feet, etc. It's also the most pixletated of the bunch thanks to the additional animation.

Agreed, imo 4 was the pinnacle of the series and competition. I have a few hours in 5 I use my Razer Panthera with, but I just can't seem to get into it as much.

If anyone is trying to get into 5, right now is probably as good as it's going to get. They've been doing a promo where you can get all of the Champion Edition content for free so there are a lot of new players. Once you hit the silver ranks I'd suspect most of those players have been around a while. It pulls your casual match opponents based on what your rank is. I've intentionally stayed as silver because it's where something like 70% of the player base is. Some are horrible and some are tournament player level, so it's a nice mix. I played ranked long enough to get to super silver and never touched that mode again.

Anyway, based on Capcom's history I strongly suspect we'll see the next game in the Street Fighter series fairly close to the new console launches. It could be 6, Alpha 4, a new Vs. title, or even the long delayed 2nd x Tekken game. Based on the weird interactions I've seen with Harada lately, I kinda think Tekken x SF is on the way. Tekken 7 will have run its course once Fahkumram launches so the timing works for both titles.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020...ition-getting-new-characters-stages-and-more/

Seems there will be an SF5 Season 5. Capcom is claiming there will be 5 new characters and 3 new stages. I have to admit that I'm surprised, but it's probably to tide people over while they finish the next-gen game everyone knows is eventually coming.
I'm hoping for Sodom and Oro. They don't really have equivalents (or successor) characters in 5.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020...eveals-esports-news-and-more-coming-august-5/

Next Wednesday is the reveal date for the new Season 5 characters. Data miners have supposedly found traces of Rolento, Oro, Elena, and Viper...but they've whiffed on a few other predictions, too. There's always a chance Capcom is leaving some red herrings laying around in the code.
Anyway, this should be the end of the line for new SF5 content. Although with the state of the world they might be pushing SF6 (or something similar) out and forcing SF5 to go longer than planned.

I'm ready for 6.

Same. 5 has run its course. It isn't as bad as some people say, but it's still overly reliant on normal button lockdowns and lots of throws. The combos and execution are different, but the approach for 2/3 of characters is exactly the same. With 4, there were a wide variety of play styles and approaches that were extremely effective. In 5 there are 3-4 at most, and they're character-specific.

Whatever they do with 6 needs to be big. Justification for a new game vs. just more content. A return to the craziness of Alpha or SF x Tekken rather than something incremental.

The graphics are really stale.

I'm not exactly sure what they would do to fix this other than add new locations to fight in, and maybe more characters. The game uses a stylized art-form. (always has with varying styles throughout the series) I'd love to see some multi-tiered destructible backdrops like DOA or something, but then it wouldn't be Street Fighter anymore. There's only so much they can do to the game and keep their fans, professional players, etc. I think that includes the art styles. If it loses the cartoon-look, it's not going to be Street Fighter anymore.

The backgrounds are very alive in this game too. I'm not sure what else they could really cram in there. Maybe some new lighting effects or something I suppose.

I love Street Fighter, and even enjoy V quite a bit, but maybe Street Fighter itself has become stale? At least for some people. I guess it depends on how you play, and who you play with. I just play it casually with friends or my kids once in a while. Doesn't get old fast under those conditions.

I don't mind the graphics from SF5. They're basically an evolution of the same art style from SF2. SF4, too.
The Alpha games (and Capcom vs. games) look a little more anime-esque. That's one other approach they could take and still ensure future games still "look like Street Fighter."
I don't think they would ever go full-on Skullgirls, DBZ Fighters, or anything like that. They'd especially avoid the choppy Neversoft look.
Depending on what happens with Namco, you could see graphics akin to Tekken 7, though.

like street fighter: the movie: the game, god that was a turd.

Precisely! :D

I'd be ok with more SF5 style. They could go with an updated SF4 style as well. If they went more anime like the Alpha games, they could push into DOA style characters, and it would probably still look quite good. Just with the Street Fighter treatment instead. I'd be fine with any of it. As long as it plays like a Street Fighter game, and doesn't go backwards in visuals it'll be fine.

The gameplay is wicked but it just seems like at this point they could do better with the locations and backgrounds. The character models are fine, but I just feel like the stages are a little too rough around the edges.

I do think this game is underrated overall.

While this video covers a lot more, it shows that at one time SF5 *WAS* going to have a more realistic look to it. Check out ~5:45'ish for details.
It also goes into a lot of the reasons SF5 is the way it is. I'd say the team did a pretty admirable job given the circumstances, but SF5 will never be as good as 4 was.

It was a step back and dumbed down. There is a video somone made about how they reduced the skill gap and the negative effects it had on the game and community. Even just watching top level play of 5 vs 4 is a lot different. The initial launch was a shit show, anyone remember? No story mode outside of some fan made looking art cut scenes. The whole thing just reeked of a free to play beta test they charged full price for. They rushed it for capcom cup if I remember correctly and I think it set the tone for things to come. I'm hoping 6 is more like 4, hell i'd be happy if the community just decided to go back to 4!

There is definitely a lower skill cap to SF5. When I watch EVO and Capcom Cup, there is literally nothing I can't do myself. I (obviously) don't have the same reads and overall skill, but there's no longer an execution gap.
I never got the desire for a story mode (the older games didn't have one...who cares?), but the lack of a normal mode where you play the CPU characters in order was a dumb decision. Plus, the overall timing was bad. We went from a massive/balanced cast in USF4 to a tiny cast with balance issues galore. Outside of the graphics, there were basically no improvements, too.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what Capcom gives us next. I'm starting to doubt it's SF6. SF5 has only just become fleshed out and they've run the gambit with characters. I don't see them wanting to start over and have to do it again. I'm thinking it'll be a spin off game. Either a VS. game (SNK, Tekken, etc.) or maybe a new Darkstalkers. Something where they don't have to re-invent the entire same roster yet again.

Hmmmm. Seems they're reeeeeeealy stretching this next season out. The new characters are Dan, Oro, Rose, and Akira Kazama (from Rival Schools...which I've never played).
Dan's coming "Winter 2020" while Akira and Oro aren't coming until next Summer. Apparently there will be one last character coming in Winter 2021, too.
I'm interpreting that to mean whatever successor they're working on is definitely in the weeds.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020...s-slated-2021-release-was-internally-delayed/

It's all just rumors, but these rumors came from the same source that has been spot-on revealing accurate info on Resident Evil 8/Village.
Sounds like 5 all over again if it's true. A "team mechanic" is mentioned and I can't contextually tell if they're talking about the dev team or a team-based mechanic in the game. I've always liked the way Tekken handled teams and SFxTekken did a good job, too.

Whether this is real or not still doesn't change the fact that we're stuck with SF5 for at least another 12-18 months. Maybe even longer, although I'd expect a reveal of what's next before SF5 is totally dead.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020...s-slated-2021-release-was-internally-delayed/

It's all just rumors, but these rumors came from the same source that has been spot-on revealing accurate info on Resident Evil 8/Village.
Sounds like 5 all over again if it's true. A "team mechanic" is mentioned and I can't contextually tell if they're talking about the dev team or a team-based mechanic in the game. I've always liked the way Tekken handled teams and SFxTekken did a good job, too.

Whether this is real or not still doesn't change the fact that we're stuck with SF5 for at least another 12-18 months. Maybe even longer, although I'd expect a reveal of what's next before SF5 is totally dead.

ugh, I couldn't even get into 5 and spend all my time in the classic collection, sounds like that won't change

Capcom just announced some additional Season 5 info. Dan will finally be arriving on 2/22.
In addition to Dan, there's a new mechanic being added called V-Shift, which works like an invincible backdash + an optional follow-up attack. Feels like with this new mechanic, V-Reverals will be kinda pointless or maybe it'll just replace them?
They showed some new gameplay highlights that looked a little zany, too. Move links and combos that didn't exist before. Some of them appeared to give weaker characters (like Alex, Juri, and Ed) impressive new combos.
They showed a little bit of Rose, who looked like a combination of old Rose, Akuma, and even a little bit of Jin from SFxTekken. Still no final character announcement, but they're adding "Eleven" (an apparent prototype of Twelve from SF3), who is akin to a real-time random select character. They didn't specify if his moves change each match, round, mid-round, etc. though.

If nothing else, it does feel like season 5 will bring some real changes to the game. Hopefully they're positive!

...and the last character is actually a new character called Luke. Per Capcom, he will be "expanding the world of Street Fighter" and "he offers a glimpse into the future."
The assumption is that he'll be a focal point of Street Fighter 6 (or whatever they call it), hence the secrecy behind his announcement.
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2021/aug/03/luke-final-dlc-character-sf5ce/
He looks like a better thought-out MMA-focused version of Ed to me. Can't say I'm all that excited for him, but I do like that Capcom is starting to plant seeds for a new Street Fighter game. For now, he'll be arriving in November. Oro and Akira will be showing up in 2 weeks, which is nice.

SF6 (or Alpha 4 or whatever it ends up being) is probably a late 2022 or even a 2023 release. Luke's not even hitting until November, and that assumes there are no delays.
SF5 is really long in the tooth right now, too. By next spring I bet most of the serious players will have moved to something else. Strive, KOF, or even just older SF games on Fightcate. Justin Wong spends more time playing old games than new ones.

SF6 (or Alpha 4 or whatever it ends up being) is probably a late 2022 or even a 2023 release. Luke's not even hitting until November, and that assumes there are no delays.
SF5 is really long in the tooth right now, too. By next spring I bet most of the serious players will have moved to something else. Strive, KOF, or even just older SF games on Fightcate. Justin Wong spends more time playing old games than new ones.

KOF is good.

The final character, Luke, is now available in Street Fighter 5. Capcom has confirmed that he'll be a major part of Street Fighter 6...or whatever they end up calling the next entry in the series. Per Capcom's roadmap, the end is finally nigh for SF5. We're supposed to get a "final" balance update next spring. Assuming nothing game-breaking comes up, that's the end of the line 6 years after release.

Back