Street Fighter 4 Thread

I don't think capcom was ever interested in "balance" so much as just adding in characters, heh.

Aren't a bunch of those console characters anyways? And this game is rather balanced, compare it to say MVC2, A3, or CVS2.

Aren't a bunch of those console characters anyways? And this game is rather balanced, compare it to say MVC2, A3, or CVS2.

Talking about Capcom games in general.

SSFIV will be out in arcades and AFAIK all characters included?

Talking about Capcom games in general.

SSFIV will be out in arcades and AFAIK all characters included?

I was referring to SF4. The console characters by in large blew. You could tell capcom kinda just tossed them in there.

But that's always been the case with them. They toss more stuff on the console version and a lot of it is crap, it's just filler.

I've nearly ripped my PS3 pad in 1/2 before :) The joys of having someone on death's door and suddenly they bust out their all powerful ultra that does 40% damage and has 800 invincibility frames :p
Makes me mis the days when you could footsweep people out of 1/2 of the supers in the game with a little timing.

I still think Rose and Sakura were a waste of space...but so was Vega, and Honda was mismatched by 1/2 of the cast, too. Fei Long was pretty solid, though.
To this day I think reversing the supers and ultras would fix most of my gripes with the game.

I've nearly ripped my PS3 pad in 1/2 before :) The joys of having someone on death's door and suddenly they bust out their all powerful ultra that does 40% damage and has 800 invincibility frames :p
Makes me mis the days when you could footsweep people out of 1/2 of the supers in the game with a little timing.

I still think Rose and Sakura were a waste of space...but so was Vega, and Honda was mismatched by 1/2 of the cast, too. Fei Long was pretty solid, though.
To this day I think reversing the supers and ultras would fix most of my gripes with the game.

They also nerfed damage almost across the board for Ultras, you may be pleasantly surprised. I should have a "hands on" impression tomorrow ;)

I can't get to any gaming sites at work...
Is it a certain store selling things early? Also, is it for the PS3 or only the 360?

I can't get to any gaming sites at work...
Is it a certain store selling things early? Also, is it for the PS3 or only the 360?

Domingo,
This is definitely YMMV. There are some Bestbuys, Kmarts, Walmart, I think Sears?, and some mom and pops stores. Both versions it seems. I'll pass along any info in this thread to you!

Thanks! If you run into anything in the greater Denver area - toss it up here.

Okay, I got to play it for a couple hours last night, here are some thoughts:

-The game feels a bit faster, maybe just more fluid, but it felt faster. I had to adjust timing on links, but it didn't take too long, a few matches.

-Ryu got the nerf bat jammed and broken off in his ass lol. My friend who plays a super annoying Ryu, spamming SRKs hoping you mess up your links, trading into Ultra, all that shit...out the window. I used Boxer, j. RH was trading with f. SRK and I came out ahead every trade. You end up like 1/3 screen away and it basically resets and you get up and go again. There's ZERO chance Ryu isn't a full, maybe two tiers down.

-Hakan is just...weird. Plays like a bad Zangief...until you oil up. He takes less damage, and his command and reglar normals move him forward, making his grab range better than SPD. You have to do footsies as his slide is all he has for specials besides SPD and oil. If you can stay oiled, you have a shot. His anti air Ultra doesn't hurt a ton, but if they put one pixel on him while it's active, they're in. Best anti-air move in the game, bar none.

-Guile is much better. df. RH juggles, my bro was doing that to backhand for good damage and pressure. Flash kick priority is still meh, but his normals are better. His OG Ultra does more damage, it's harder to fall out, and does most of the damage on the last hit.

-El Fuerte is better too, all his normals seem better, and the life/damage adjustments make him seem stronger.

-Dudley seems good, but I don't see the big deal. His moves hurt, but his normals and pressure didn't impress me. I never played him in 3s, so I could just not know.

-Makoto is a bit disappointing. She walks SUPERRRR SLOOOOOW, slower than Sagat, but has the super fast dash from 3s. She plays like 3s, but it will take some real work to make her dangerous, the karas and mind games don't translate into this game, FADC =/= parries. Very good damage potential.

-Boxer, still nasty. New Ultra is cool if you're super aggressive. One combo then that = Stunned, almost like Alex's Stun Gun Headbutt from 3s. Still Top 5 probably.

-Cody. Cool, bnut idk how good since I never played him

-Guy, sucks IMO. not as fast as A3, run moves telegraph worse than Elf's.

-Ken, besides the SRK, seems the same.

-Akuma got nerfed but is still good. No more runaway against anyone good. Teleport is slower, he does much less damage overall, so you have to work. Friend who plays Ryu, moved to Akuma, new Ultra is worthless. He missed it like 10 times, you just duck...

That's all for now, the real question IMO is Sagat. We don't play him well, so IDK how he is. I want him to be as nerfed as Ryu, but I'm sure it's not that bad lol. I got my copy today, so I will probably have more to share Monday morning.

EDIT: Rufus is the same, but does less damage overall, and EX mesiah is not as invincible. It's still one of his best moves though. You have to know links and combos as single hits aren't strong enough unless the match is one-sided.

Last edited:
NSCTripleAgent, how did Adon and Ibuki fare? If guy is that disappointing, I might just drop him entirely off my list of main chars. I don't think I'll go back to viper.. but if need be, I will.

NSCTripleAgent, how did Adon and Ibuki fare? If guy is that disappointing, I might just drop him entirely off my list of main chars. I don't think I'll go back to viper.. but if need be, I will.

My friend tried Adon once, again I don't have experience with him, but he seemed bad. Jaguar Kick was slowish, wall moves were quick, but nothing I'd want to use. I would guess low-mid unless we are totally missing something, or he has some nasty move/combo we don't know about. No one played Ibuki.

With Adon, I honestly think they'd have to re-work him completely compared to how he was in Alpha 3. His strengths were always his normal attacks and pokes that could be used to cause pressure and keep people on the defensive. When they open up - BAM, his special attacks all evade/counter them. He didn't have many combos and his special moves weren't safe...but his normals made up for it.
The engine in SF4 doesn't really lend itself toward anyone who relies on normal attacks.

My friend tried Adon once, again I don't have experience with him, but he seemed bad. Jaguar Kick was slowish, wall moves were quick, but nothing I'd want to use. I would guess low-mid unless we are totally missing something, or he has some nasty move/combo we don't know about. No one played Ibuki.

Thanks for the reply. Might just have to use Ibuki, if she sucks too I'll just go back to Viper haha.

I'm pumped for the release. No more indestructible, new characters and a low price. I never knew we would be getting this much content for 40$. Amazon has a great deal if you haven't pre ordered yet, 10$ game credit and classic costume pack.

I love the online modes for this game. The new chars are great but none a really getting my interest... yet. Despite me talking crap about cammy's new counter ultra, it is now growing on me. Its so satisfying when it lands, lol.

Glad I got this game early :).

I am at a crossroad with my main Akuma. A lot has changed with him apparently. I may have to try someone else..

I still haven't played it, but I think I'll stick to my main characters no matter what they do to boost/nerf them. I've been playing Zangief and Honda since the the first SF2, so I'm not about the give up on them yet. Hopefully I'll take to some of the new additions, too.

Fan of DeeJay. :) I know it's fake versions of their arts, but practicing both Taekwondo and Capoiera, I like how these two characters are added to a game I thought was already pretty freakin awesome :p

I still haven't played it, but I think I'll stick to my main characters no matter what they do to boost/nerf them. I've been playing Zangief and Honda since the the first SF2, so I'm not about the give up on them yet. Hopefully I'll take to some of the new additions, too.

Same here. I'll try the new ones, but I always settle back down with Blanka, and Guile. Really intrigued with Dudley though.

Well I watched this clip, and it actually makes me want to play SF better...Is this Daigo guy like the best SF player in the world?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7cW2nMf1gk&feature=related

And went to Gamestop and bought the SF4 stick and prebooked SF4 super.

He's the best that actually gets exposed, I'll say the most consistent. There are a handful of others on his level in Japan, but he travels and plays in high profile events all over the world.

He's the best that actually gets exposed, I'll say the most consistent. There are a handful of others on his level in Japan, but he travels and plays in high profile events all over the world.

Yeah, he's just the most "known" I'd say of all SF players that come out of Japan. There are many people in Japan at his level that can beat him as well. I think his JWong Evo matchup in SF3 is what got him even more popular.

I remember watching some videos of Daigo playing Guy in Alpha 3. I remember always thinking Guy sucked (at least compared to previous games) until watching him totally annihilate people with him.

There are always going to be random players that come out of nowhere and kick major ass, but he's been at the top of the heap for years, and in many different SF games. There was a guy from Minnesota that ended up winning the Super Street Fighter US tournament with pretty much no prior tournament experience...but then he disappeared or at the very least didn't win again.
Daigo has been among the world's best (if not THE best) in almost every SF game since the mid 90's.

Yeah, I'll still be playing the new chars out to see if I like them or not. Hell, I just want a character that does a ton of poking / normals. Haha.

any of you guys seen the battle between daigo and justin for super street fighter 4? omg what a epic ending.

Well - release day is finally upon us. I'm headed over the Best Buy on my lunch break. I've definitely seen people on both my PS3 and 360 lists that have had it for a few days...so hopefully I won't get annihilated tonight when I give all of the new people a spin.

For anyone that has it, what was the "bonus" for owners of normal SF4 anyway?

Well - release day is finally upon us. I'm headed over the Best Buy on my lunch break. I've definitely seen people on both my PS3 and 360 lists that have had it for a few days...so hopefully I won't get annihilated tonight when I give all of the new people a spin.

For anyone that has it, what was the "bonus" for owners of normal SF4 anyway?

Colors 11 and 12, which suck.

That's pretty weak. I tend to use the "normal" color more often than not. An additional taunt would've been a better option. Oh well!

I'm gonna pick mine up on lunch but I'm getting the 360 version this time since the stick I bought yesterday was for the 360.

But gamestop are giving SF thumb wrestlers for the prebook bonus which is really odd.

Back