Street Fighter 4 Thread

Anyone on XBL can shoot me a friend request or find me for a game, preferablt competitive. Just put in there you're from here, I decline people I don't know.

After being gone for 3 days I got in some games last night and I'm still killing people with T. Hawk. Honestly, he might only be a middle tier character (at best) but I don't care. I'm having a ton of fun with him and I land his big throws probably 2X as many times as I did with Zangief. His LP grab (and EX grab) is amazing. He's not as strong as Zangief, but he fits my playstyle better in lots of matches.
I'm warming up to Adon although his matches are ugly as hell. He has minimal combos, but I find myself landing lots of random single hits here and there. I really wish he had a punch version of his ultra, though. In Alpha2 and 3 you almost always had at least one level of super to bust out the jaguar assault after a low MP.

After playing a few Sagats, he still seems about 95% what he was, but just less damaging. It also seems like his Ultra is pickier about when it lands. Still a top tier character, though. Zangief, too.
Oddly enough, Honda now goes over low Tiger Shots with his headbutts. That was badly needed, and has been that way in other SF games.

I'm still liking T. Hawk as my main. However last night I encountered some weirdness with Guile's air-throw. I got tossed cleanly out of both my Tomahawk Dive (actually moving down...not the starting animation) and Rising Tomahawk (while still rising). I've never had anything like that happen before.

Guile in general seems to be better, just based upon playing against him.

PIcked this up today along with the Mad Catz pad, Juri design.

So far its fun. I love endless battle mode online. It's cool watching the other games and chatting with whoever. It's relaxing.

I'm still liking T. Hawk as my main. However last night I encountered some weirdness with Guile's air-throw. I got tossed cleanly out of both my Tomahawk Dive (actually moving down...not the starting animation) and Rising Tomahawk (while still rising). I've never had anything like that happen before.

Guile in general seems to be better, just based upon playing against him.

I'm maining hawk too. But yeah, his dive and dp are both really easy to stuff, even with air throws...both moves require a good read to land or a well spaced whiff to help get in. EX dp is great to get out of a corner though. Guile is easily one of his worst matchups.

I'm maining hawk too. But yeah, his dive and dp are both really easy to stuff, even with air throws...both moves require a good read to land or a well spaced whiff to help get in. EX dp is great to get out of a corner though. Guile is easily one of his worst matchups.

Yeah, I'm encountering TONS of Guiles. I've honestly only lost to one of them, though. That was the match where I got air thrown like 4 times :p
In general with Guile, if you can get close you can throw him off of pretty much any blocked move he has. You can even toss him after he lands his overhead/target combo if he does anything but jump. The jab typhoon will snag him even after 4 blocked jabs and he's combo'ing into a sonic boom. To keep from being thrown after anything, Guile's stuck ending lots of things with a flash kick or a jump backwards. It's a pain to get in on him, but once T. Hawk is close he eats Guile for lunch. The EX spire even beats the flash kick.
However if Guile is at long range, he's the toughest to close in on just because of the no-recovery sonic boom.

Right now I find myself playing against lots of Guile, Juri, Cody, Ken, and Balrog. Of those, I'm really only concerned with Balrog in most cases. He's still a sum'bitch.

Any tips for ibuki? I am trying to get better with her to be my backup for when I want a change up from gouken.

Any tips for ibuki? I am trying to get better with her to be my backup for when I want a change up from gouken.

Ibuki has three things going for her, high damage output, kunai vortex from knock down, and mix ups.

Her problems, no reliable anti air or reversal that doesn't require ex meter, combos are situational, takes a ton of damage.

This is just the easy stuff, there is better but you need to be able to do all this.

The high damage output comes through her target combos. Your "go to" combos are based off the chains. Standing lk, mk, xx quarter circle back kick. Or standing light punch, standing mp, standing HP XX neck breaker. These are the easy combos to land that set you up well.

There are two other combos to be aware of, the lp, mp, cr hk, hk to super jump combo. This is good for mix ups, but can back fire. And the MOST important combo cr lp, cr lp, standing MK, xxx neck breaker. This is by far the hardest as it has a link in it, the others are easy. But it's the only combo that she can start from a crouch. If you can not do this combo, Ibuki falls apart as the opponent can just high block. Learn this or don't bother with her.

Her special moves are situational. Neckbreaker is good for punishing, and EX will kill off shotos. It's best property is that it knocks down and sets up the kunai vortex. The three kicks, good combo finisher, good to ex to get out of a corner. The forward dash closes the distance, the HP version well put you on the other side of your opponent and sets up her mix up game. The dragon punch with kick back move, sets up her super right after but is risky. The orb, possibly good combo move when you want to push them away, and the flip over their head is also for mix ups.

Anti air is back + mp, cr HP, and standing HK. But these are all situational, you have to learn what works well with what. You can also use her ex dp + K, but in general you should be saving that for a reversal move.

Kunai vortex- When you score a knock down jump over them and launch the kunai so it crosses them up, this is her key strategy. From here you can go into a combo if it hits, or into a block string and follow it up with her dash to the other side, or just keep the pressure on.

Once you've scored a knock down go for the vortex, if you get a another knock down do it again, if not start the mix ups with the command dash and the ability to command jump right over their head.

She doesn't have man good pokes, but crouching mk slide, and her forward vaulting jump will work.

A lot of people start out with Ibuki because her target combos are retarded easy to do and thus she seems fun. The reality is that if you can't do her harder combos (and I only touched on one), which are by far more important, any quasi decent person will realize you can only start those targets from standing and shut down your entire game instantly. Work on the non target combos and the kunai vortex and you'll be good. Most characters have a very hard time getting out of that, and even if they do you have your command dash to get back in.

Yeah, I'm encountering TONS of Guiles.

This has a lot to do with Daigo playing Guile at a tournament and saying he's going to main him in SSFIV.

This has a lot to do with Daigo playing Guile at a tournament and saying he's going to main him in SSFIV.

Ah...too funny. In all honesty I can't say I've even encountered more than one good one to date, and his only real strength was full-on mastery of the timing on Guile's air throw.
As far as good players go, I've run into a few Guy players that had uncanny precision and a few Abel's, too. I still have yet to play anyone using Seth, and he was a character I had a hell of a time playing against in normal SF4...so I guess that's a good thing.
The Zangief lariat scrubs have all disappeared, thankfully, too.

Guile and Guy's air throws are insanity. I haven't been playing on Live yet, I have been fortunate to play locals that are good, but Guile and Cody are definitely the new "go to" guys. You need to learn tham and have strats down playing in any setting.

Hey guys, finally got a couple nights of SSF4 in.

My main is Guile, and has been since SF4 and I'll tell you I can't quite put my finger on it but I'm having a pretty easy time winning in Endless Battle mode. Maybe I should be playing the more competitve modes but having people lining up to try to take me out is fun. lol.

Got my win 10 endless battles in a row achievement my first hour playing :D. Guess I got lucky. hehe.

Domingo, you play on Xbox? Because I'd like to try my Guile at you.

I played NSCTripleAgent once awhile back and I'd like to play you again if we're ever on at the same time. Want to see how much better you got.

Anyways, maybe I should skip the Endless Battle mode. I did Team Battle and it was pretty fun last night. haha. I put myself in last position to pick up any slack from my team and I saved us! :D

So far, I've encountered LOTS of Ibuki and Juri. Seems like people are trying to practice with them a lot. Fought only 1 Guile and it seemed like he was trying to learn. Haven't encountered any good Guiles yet either. Have yet to fight a Hakan.

If you guys ever see me on and I'm on SSF4 or just idle feel free to message me for a game. :D Team Battle would be fun with good players.

Ah...too funny. In all honesty I can't say I've even encountered more than one good one to date, and his only real strength was full-on mastery of the timing on Guile's air throw.
As far as good players go, I've run into a few Guy players that had uncanny precision and a few Abel's, too. I still have yet to play anyone using Seth, and he was a character I had a hell of a time playing against in normal SF4...so I guess that's a good thing.
The Zangief lariat scrubs have all disappeared, thankfully, too.

There was some tournament that Daigo played Guile in and wrecked people. Combine that with his charge time being reduced, and Daigo making some sort of "Guile will be in the top tier and I'm going to use him" and well.... like sheep.

Lariat got nerfed and Guy is pretty good... plus he eats shotos alive. :p

Domingo, you play on Xbox? Because I'd like to try my Guile at you.

Nah, I'm on the PS3. I just prefer the default controller, and since I've been using it since the SNES days I'm just as good with a pad as I am with a stick. I've even gotten the 360 motions down, which took the most time.

Guile's tough - no doubt about it. It's just weird to see so many of them all of a sudden, and most players have absolutely no idea what to do when someone closes in on them.
In general, the absolute LAST thing you should ever try against T. Hawk or Zangief is Guile's low HK. If you don't knock someone down on that first kick you're in big trouble. Ditto for a bunch of jabs followed by a sonic boom. If more people would stop doing those two things they'd be better off.

To add to all of the Ibuki talk - I've noticed that she can beat out T. Hawk and Zangief tics with her grab and your timing doesn't even need to be great. Ditto if she knows they're going for a grab after blocking something of hers. I can just about guarantee if you play Ibuki you'll be able to get some free hits on Zangief/T. Hawk players the first time you play that way.

Nah, I'm on the PS3. I just prefer the default controller, and since I've been using it since the SNES days I'm just as good with a pad as I am with a stick. I've even gotten the 360 motions down, which took the most time.

Guile's tough - no doubt about it. It's just weird to see so many of them all of a sudden, and most players have absolutely no idea what to do when someone closes in on them.
In general, the absolute LAST thing you should ever try against T. Hawk or Zangief is Guile's low HK. If you don't knock someone down on that first kick you're in big trouble. Ditto for a bunch of jabs followed by a sonic boom. If more people would stop doing those two things they'd be better off.

To add to all of the Ibuki talk - I've noticed that she can beat out T. Hawk and Zangief tics with her grab and your timing doesn't even need to be great. Ditto if she knows they're going for a grab after blocking something of hers. I can just about guarantee if you play Ibuki you'll be able to get some free hits on Zangief/T. Hawk players the first time you play that way.

Ibuki doesn't have a grab though. That can be blocked.

Ibuki doesn't have a grab though. That can be blocked.

It can be blocked, but if the other player is going for their grab (like a SPD) - hers will always beat it. I talked to one guy about it for a while and we tried about a half dozen scenarios and her grab (I think it's from forward to back + punch) grabbed me every time, even when I buffered T. Hawk's grab and Zangief's SPD.
I tried it after he would do 2-3 jabs, after I'd do a low jab tic myself, and even off of a blind jump.
Even if it's blockable, it's no worse than the grappler's "whiff" animation.

It can be blocked, but if the other player is going for their grab (like a SPD) - hers will always beat it. I talked to one guy about it for a while and we tried about a half dozen scenarios and her grab (I think it's from forward to back + punch) grabbed me every time, even when I buffered T. Hawk's grab and Zangief's SPD.
I tried it after he would do 2-3 jabs, after I'd do a low jab tic myself, and even off of a blind jump.
Even if it's blockable, it's no worse than the grappler's "whiff" animation.

lol Domingo's right. I tried throwing Ibuki's "throw" move and it just doesn't work. I love it when I can bait her slide throw move cuz they are expecting me to throw a sonic boom. XD That throw is super good though. I get caught by it right when I land with Guile's Back+MK move. :(

lol Domingo's right. I tried throwing Ibuki's "throw" move and it just doesn't work. I love it when I can bait her slide throw move cuz they are expecting me to throw a sonic boom. XD That throw is super good though. I get caught by it right when I land with Guile's Back+MK move. :(

It comes out fast and it has pretty high priority. It's made to make up for her lack of quality pokes. Take Adon for example. Without radia, he can just poke the crap out of her. With it they at least have to think about it.

I have no idea what the properties of that move are like, but I just it can make an overzealous grappler's life hell :) In the case of T. Hawk, he'll even turn yellow for his EX grab and it looks like she's going to get launched...but the next thing you know she grabs him instead. The guy I was practicing with said the timing wasn't strict at all.

I always remember the early SF2 games where the timing needed to beat Zangief's tic was VERY strict. Now...not so much unless his tic hit actually lands.

I have no idea what the properties of that move are like, but I just it can make an overzealous grappler's life hell :) In the case of T. Hawk, he'll even turn yellow for his EX grab and it looks like she's going to get launched...but the next thing you know she grabs him instead. The guy I was practicing with said the timing wasn't strict at all.

I always remember the early SF2 games where the timing needed to beat Zangief's tic was VERY strict. Now...not so much unless his tic hit actually lands.

Blame that on the gaming being online. Things had to change to make up for lag, online fucked up all the technical details that made SF great, this is the result. It's also caused a lot more problems.

Street fighter was meant for arcades and face to face, it's not made for online.

How do I do an EX Cancel without attacking? Often times, for example with Ryu, I will do a dragon punch, connect, and try to EX Cancel out of it. A lot of times Ryu will cancel out of it but also will punch. How do I prevent that?

How do I do an EX Cancel without attacking? Often times, for example with Ryu, I will do a dragon punch, connect, and try to EX Cancel out of it. A lot of times Ryu will cancel out of it but also will punch. How do I prevent that?

you have to dash out of the ex move. So hold the EX buttons then dash backwards or forward

It appears that the whiners have finally come out of the woodwork. Seems every time I beat someone C-rank or above I get hate mail. Even a few times when I'd fire off GG mails people would send some diatribe back about how "all I know how to do is throw" or something to that effect.
I had one guy fire back at me after a compliment just because he was so used to getting hate e-mails he didn't even read it.
Oh Street Fighter...how you seem to make people so angry.

It appears that the whiners have finally come out of the woodwork. Seems every time I beat someone C-rank or above I get hate mail. Even a few times when I'd fire off GG mails people would send some diatribe back about how "all I know how to do is throw" or something to that effect.
I had one guy fire back at me after a compliment just because he was so used to getting hate e-mails he didn't even read it.
Oh Street Fighter...how you seem to make people so angry.

Heh. I suck but I know I suck. Although I do tend to blame my controller (360 nubs, I swear it's making me "jump" when I just want to do a half circle or whatever...but that's my excuse and I'm stickin to it!!) I find it funny when I do get my rare wins people bitching at me. I'm like...you realize you jsut suck a lot more than me! I'm just here to have fun and don't really care about fighting badasses. I'll get my lucky combo wins here and there and eventually get good enough.

Heh. I suck but I know I suck. Although I do tend to blame my controller (360 nubs, I swear it's making me "jump" when I just want to do a half circle or whatever...but that's my excuse and I'm stickin to it!!) I find it funny when I do get my rare wins people bitching at me. I'm like...you realize you jsut suck a lot more than me! I'm just here to have fun and don't really care about fighting badasses. I'll get my lucky combo wins here and there and eventually get good enough.

For me, no matter whether I win or lose I don't really feel the need to talk shit to anyone. Sure, I'll reply if called out - but why send insulting messages...especially after you've gotten beat? There are days when I'm not playing well and I might lose to a spaz and there are days when I've stomped a mudhole in players that are 10x better than me. I don't really find the need to ever send anything beyond compliments or even questions about why something did/didn't work.
Yesterday I played for about 30 minutes and I must've gotten 5 different insulting mails from people all playing the likes of Dudley and Ryu while I'm using the "lowly" T. Hawk and E. Honda.

I don't claim to be great or anything, but I'm a big jump over a masher or spaz.

If anyone wants to get some rounds in hit me up on XBL, my tag is: theto3
It would be cool to play some [H] guys.

For me, no matter whether I win or lose I don't really feel the need to talk shit to anyone. Sure, I'll reply if called out - but why send insulting messages...especially after you've gotten beat? There are days when I'm not playing well and I might lose to a spaz and there are days when I've stomped a mudhole in players that are 10x better than me. I don't really find the need to ever send anything beyond compliments or even questions about why something did/didn't work.
Yesterday I played for about 30 minutes and I must've gotten 5 different insulting mails from people all playing the likes of Dudley and Ryu while I'm using the "lowly" T. Hawk and E. Honda.

I don't claim to be great or anything, but I'm a big jump over a masher or spaz.

Kids will be kids eh?

Just laugh, it mean you're doing your job.

The funniest one to date was a guy who kept playing very timidly with Guile and Juri. He spent his entire matches complaining about how all I do is "use big people and keep trying to throw me and do the same 2 cheap moves." Of course his entire strategy to stopping it involved running like hell and saying "aw - come on!"
After 2 losses he kicked me for "not knowing how to play the game."

Invest in a stick, seriously. You can pick up HRAP3's for ~$100, or used Mad Catz TE's for the same on craigslist. Your game will improve, guaranteed.

The funniest one to date was a guy who kept playing very timidly with Guile and Juri. He spent his entire matches complaining about how all I do is "use big people and keep trying to throw me and do the same 2 cheap moves." Of course his entire strategy to stopping it involved running like hell and saying "aw - come on!"
After 2 losses he kicked me for "not knowing how to play the game."

You mean you were performing a special move more than once??! Man that is just below the belt.....

I think I've decided to use Vega more, he seems to have been beefed up quite a bit from vanilla 4, really liking DeeJay too but I'm just shit with him.....my whole problem with 4 as a whole is I play old skool, no FA's etc so I'm really needing to get some practice into using that more.

You mean you were performing a special move more than once??! Man that is just below the belt.....

I think I've decided to use Vega more, he seems to have been beefed up quite a bit from vanilla 4, really liking DeeJay too but I'm just shit with him.....my whole problem with 4 as a whole is I play old skool, no FA's etc so I'm really needing to get some practice into using that more.

I'm the same way...I don't use focus attacks all that much. I do find myslef catching a hell of a lot of people with 360 throws after they try to FADC moves that didn't land, though. Lots of Ryu's and Sagat's try to get fancy with their lockdown patterns and I catch them more often than not.

Agreed on Vega being better. The fact that his ultra works as an anti-air helped him a lot. Plus it seems like his Izuna drop finally has some real range on it. When I'm T. Hawk I honestly struggle with Vega. On paper it seems like an easy match, but the angle/height on the rising hawk has no answer for Vega's air shenanigans.

Invest in a stick, seriously. You can pick up HRAP3's for ~$100, or used Mad Catz TE's for the same on craigslist. Your game will improve, guaranteed.

You can get an hrap SA for 114 at arcade shock, already has all sanwa parts.

I saved a replay to my harddrive, but it looks like I can only access it via ssf4. Is it possible to get the replay off the ps3 and upload it to youtube?

I think the videos aren't true "videos" - they're kind of like the demo files people use to benchmark on their PC. It's more of a script than a recording.
There's always the option of video capture, but I think that's it.

I'll resurrect this thread as there are two tidbits of news related to SF4.

#1: SSF4 is coming to arcades and right on the cabinet it mentions "new challengers." I'd have to imagine that they could release a expansion to contain the new characters on the console. Ether that or the few arcade folks left will get to play a new character or two. I'll hold out hope for Birdie, Sodom, Hugo, and (especially) Alex.

#2: There's a strong rumor that Capcom vs. Namco is in the works with each company producing their own version of the game running on their own game engine. Capcom will use the SF4 engine while Namco will use Tekken 6. Hard to imagine how in the world it will work, but this *might* be cool.

Rolento had a pretty brutal-looking super combo in Alpha 3. Would love too see that remade in Super Street Fighter 4.

I've heard about the Capcom vs Namco rumour too, and another rumour that that each company will make its own version - Capcom basing its version on the 2D SF4 engine, Namco to use its 3D Tekken 6 engine. An announcement is expected at Comic-Con.

Rolento would actually make a pretty easy transition to SF4's engine. A lot of what he does is a combination of Vega and Ibuki and I can imagine he'd have a pretty good vortex and block damage series that would work well. If I had to guess, I'd say he's probably a likely candidate.
SF3 consisted of so many weird (design-wise) characters that I wonder who they'd really even go for from that game other than Alex, Hugo, Yun/Yang, and maybe Remy. Characters like Q, Necro, Oro, Twelve, etc. just don't work at all.

I think Alex and Birdie would both work well, so I'm pulling for them. Sodom, too. Hugo is just a shot in the dark considering how he's a poor man's Zangief, but I'd happily take him.

Back