• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Street Fighter 4 Thread

http://http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=61793
Street Fighter IV’s Championship Mode Expansion Pack will include:

Replay Mode
On the PlayStation Network, you can rate matches while you watch according to characteristics such as “awesome” or “funny.” Replays are then ranked based on these vote ratings.
On Xbox Live, instead of rating the matches, you can choose to download and save your favourite replays to study the players’ techniques. You’ll also be able to turn on the input commands from both players to be able to review their button and joystick motions in precise detail.
New Points System - Two new points systems to measure your skill (Championship and Tournament Points)
Enhanced Tournament Matching System - Skill level matching system offers improved tournament match making for beginners and mid-level players. Competitors earn Grade Points (GP) to earn entry into more advanced tournaments.

Been reading about it all morning on SRK. http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=187307
 
After playing around with it for about an hour, thus far it's just another set of BP's to collect. It's not a real tournament just because you're still having to hunt for matches a la ranked mode.
The replays and set-up might hold something new, but I'm not really getting the point so far.
 
What I'm liking so far is that the matchups seem to be alot more even. I've only played a little and I'm still a G3-B, but I'll be playing this game mode exclusively.
 
After playing around with it for about an hour, thus far it's just another set of BP's to collect. It's not a real tournament just because you're still having to hunt for matches a la ranked mode.
The replays and set-up might hold something new, but I'm not really getting the point so far.

Atleast the competition is higher in Championship mode. That's what I've seen, I've played some really great players thus far, never have I played such an abundance of higher skilled players, I have never seen this many in ranked + player matches combined.
 
Eh, played it a bit, switched back to player match where I owned up everyone I face, I'm literally tornado kicking people to death (ken)

I think I have to play midday to get some good competition... ultra finishing newbs over and over isn't that fun.
 
Eh, played it a bit, switched back to player match where I owned up everyone I face, I'm literally tornado kicking people to death (ken)

I think I have to play midday to get some good competition... ultra finishing newbs over and over isn't that fun.

Should play more competition mode. I don't think anyone I've played yet falls for an ultra right in front. I usually have to crouch MK HJC into Burst Time to finish anyone off if its an Ultra. That or I s. fierce, ex seismo , hjc BK, into a Burst Time.

I've played tough competition, player match and ranked doesnt match the people I've played thus far through competition mode.

Also, seems like capcom fixed a lot of lag issues.. for me atleast, my matches are fast enough for me to pick C. Viper again :D
 
The competition's much better, but then again...how much of that is attributed to the double blind, too? I know I'd never choose Zangief or Abel to fight Blanka, but that's sometimes what I end up with. Plus, just like normal ranked matches, it's just one match and you're done. There's no best of 7 rounds or 2 out of 3 or anything like that. IMO, that's a lot of where the extra competition is coming from. It's teh same players, but different circumstances.
One interesting thing is the lag meter has changed a ton. I'll choose someone who has no bars when hunting for a match...yet when the actual match screen pulls up it might have 3-4 bars all of a sudden. All the more reason to ignore those bars on the PS3.
I'll keep playing around with it, but it's just ranked match with better skill level matching. I haven't encountered any chump players at all once I got our of E and D ranks, so that's nice.
 
While I still don't really think much of the format - the replay feature is funny as hell. I've only got a couple of replays up right now (I've only been paired with people that rank high enough 3 times), I did manage to capture a pretty amazing fight where I was getting handled by Balrog, but pulled out a huge comeback in both rounds. I got 2 more earlier in the day, but they seem to be gone now.
Personally, I'd rather have seen this feature just be implimented in casual or ranked mode, but at least it's there in some capacity.
 
Supposedly only the top 500 players or something like that can record their matches...however if you happen to play one of them and win, you also get the choice of posting your match with them.
I'm a G3 A-Rank right now (1300 points or something like that), and every now and then I've had it pull up someone with a score of 2000-3000. Those players seem to be able to record their matches, so hopefully I'm somewhat close.
The way to watch recordings is under the "Ranking" section. You can pull up the latest ones, or you can filter them based upon your friends list. On my list, I think there were 3 people with videos posted.

Mine actually got ranked pretty well just because I was down to my last 1/4 of life with Honda and hadn't even hit Balrog, but I managed to Ultra his EX dashing smash and pull out a crazy series that won the round. In round 2, it was the opposite. I was pretty much handling him, but he nailed me with a super that had me on death's door, but again I was saved by an Ultra. You can always tell an old school player when you see them attacking while you're down. It's sad, but you just can't do that in SF4.
 
You have to get something around 5000 cp to upload a video. I killed a Gief player and nailed over 5k it asked me if i wanted to upload. I still cant figure out where to view it though.
 
On the PS3 just go into your player settings (where your records are and such) and look under "ranking."
Hit L1 (I think) to go to the end of the list and that's where you can watch them. They certainly did a good job of burying that feature. You can filter amongst popularity, your friends, or the overal rankings of the players.

I think my top CP thus far has only been 3700'ish. For me, if I expect to get a decent number of bars, at least one opponent ends up being lower ranked.
 
Can't wait to boot up the PS3 to start playing some championship mode again. It is time to rank up!
 
Supposedly only the top 500 players or something like that can record their matches...however if you happen to play one of them and win, you also get the choice of posting your match with them.
I'm a G3 A-Rank right now (1300 points or something like that), and every now and then I've had it pull up someone with a score of 2000-3000. Those players seem to be able to record their matches, so hopefully I'm somewhat close.
The way to watch recordings is under the "Ranking" section. You can pull up the latest ones, or you can filter them based upon your friends list. On my list, I think there were 3 people with videos posted.

Mine actually got ranked pretty well just because I was down to my last 1/4 of life with Honda and hadn't even hit Balrog, but I managed to Ultra his EX dashing smash and pull out a crazy series that won the round. In round 2, it was the opposite. I was pretty much handling him, but he nailed me with a super that had me on death's door, but again I was saved by an Ultra. You can always tell an old school player when you see them attacking while you're down. It's sad, but you just can't do that in SF4.


I think I'm done with e honda for now, that fatass is too slow for my taste and not being able to buffer oicho after sumo splash leaves me wide open against good players.
 
LOL holy crap domingo, I was able to watch your replay against that balrog. nice man
 
Tried it for the first time today. I'm in g3-c now after about 10 matches. My highest so far was 5400cp after a win, but no offer to save a replay. Do I have to be in g3-a or higher?

Also, it seems to match people up from all the different categories. Is this normal?
 
Yeah, the matchmaking is pretty strange. I'm a G3-A right now, and it pulls people of all ranks. Luckily you can use their icons as a partial guage for their skill level, but it's still weird. I won one "tournament" that only netted me a total of like 300 points just because the only good connections it was pulling up were D's and E's. Other times I had it pull up nothing but A's back when I was an E. The times I had it record matches, I ended up beating 3 A's in a row as a C and B. Granted, I've lost bouts to E's before, just depending on who chose who, and how good they really are.

Honda's pretty much my main character now. I'm bored to death of Zangief's lariat nonsense and Abel's lack of a good anti-air gives him issues. Even though Honda's a low tier character, he's at least okay against the characters everyone seems to love (Sagat, Zangief, Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Blanka). He seems to have nothing for Guile of all people, though. Because Guile recovers so quickly, Honda's ability to hit him during or after a special move is pretty limited. That match is really all about steadily walking him down and trying for oicho mix-ups.
 
I finished my first night with about 680gp with a max cp of about 6400. Noticed that my G3-C rank became G3-B after I surpassed 300gp. Also noticed that someone I played went from G3-B to G3-A after 1000gp. So it seems that the rank up occurs simply when you surpass a certain threshold. What would it take to go from G3-A to G2? Does G2 have the E-A system as well?

The competition is definitely much tougher in tournament play than regular ranked matches. My win percentage was about 70% before I started to play yesterday, and now it's down to about 67%. So I'd say I'm only winning about 60% of my matches on tournament play.

I played this Blanka that was so cheap that I was impressed. Never played anyone with this tactic. What he did was to knock me down, then use the slide to get around to my other side and sweep me down. Then slide to the other side and repeat the process over and over. He mixed this in with grabs. I can normally get out of traps like this. But not this time for some reason.
 
Haha I've been seeing a lot of new "flowchart" Blankas lately on the PSN I would have to say. It gets annoying. Also Chun gives Viper a run for her money, I gotta figure out some tactic to play her.

Also, I think it's probably 2000GP to get to G2, I'm not yet there, but I believe there are also those A-E ranks as well.
 
Blanka has a ton of mix-ups when he gets close to you. I don't always think about doing them, but he has some crazy mix ups with his slide, the jump-through (f+3 kicks), and the cross-up jumping medium kick. All of those moves mixed in with the electricity, grabs, and even just a low kick into the Blanka ball can be one of the best mix-ups in the entire game. Mix in his super strong super if they jump, and this is a mess if the player is good. I know I've dropped matches to some Blanka players that absolutely baffled me. It's sad that Zangief can just get close and spin around like an idiot to shut that whole thing down :p Watching the videos of Zangief makes me hurt a little on the inside. Sagat's worse, but it at least seems like there are more skilled players using him. I can't count the number of 'Gief's with crazy records and icons, but they have no idea how to actually play the game.

The ranking up thing definitely seems to be based upon set amounts. 1000's definitely where you get an A-rank. I think I got my B-rank at 500, so there's a curve there. I haven't played against anyone who is a G2 (that I noticed at least) and I've played people with 2000 points. I'm sure there's a FAQ on the levels somewhere, but I have no idea where. Plus, gaming sites are blocked for me at work...
I've got 1700'ish right now, so I might hit 2000 tonight if I get home in time to play.
 
No idea what to think in regards to this ranking system. I lost a match yesterday and ranked up during that loss.

In regards to cp from Maxd from the SRK forum

From what I have gathered so far in G3, this is how I think GP is determined.

1st round loss - You get 1 GP

1st round winner takes GP of opponent he beat as CP into the next round. If your opponent has 1250 GP, you carry over 1250 CP.

2nd round loss - 10 GP plus 1% of the CP you accumulated in the 1st round (no rounding up). So, if you won 1250 CP in the first round and lost in the second you get 10 GP plus 1250/100 or 12 points for a total of 22GP

2nd round win, you take the CP you got from the first round, plus the GP (as CP) of your 2nd round opponent AND what the CP he won in the 1st round.

Final round loss - 20 GP plus the 1% of the CP you accumulated from the first 2 rounds (same calculation as above).

Final round win - 50 GP plus 1% of the CP you got from the first 2 rounds plus the GP (as CP) of your final round opponent AND what the CP he won in the prior 2 rounds. I had a total of 4750 CP at my last tournament win and I got 97 GP at the end (50 plus 4750/100).

So, G3 tourney win is 50 GP plus 1% of total GP of all the other 7 players involved


Originally Posted by Alioune
- Sorry for the misunderstanding then banh



G2-A = ???(maybe 10000GP)
G2-B = ???
G2-C = 5000GP
G2-D = 3000GP
G2-E = 2000GP

G3-A = 1000GP
G3-B = ???GP
G3-C = ???
G3-D = 100GP
G3-E = 1GP
 
Last edited:
I guess that makes sense. I know I've won and lost some absolute nail biter final bouts and it would colossally suck if both players didn't get credit for something. My match that got recorded was insanely close, and I lost one to a Guile player last night in which all 3 rounds came down to both of us with a sliver of health.
 
Thanks for that list Sixthsense.

If G2-A is really 10,000, I don't think there's more than a handful of people in G1 and above. If I remember correctly when I looked on the leaderboards last night for GP leaders, not even everyone in the top 10 were over 10,000 GP, maybe only 3 or 4 people. Maybe this is because the game has been only out a few days.

Do you think you can lose GP's once you get up into G1? Or once you reach a new G, you stay there?

This is on the 360.
 
The lag is so god awful I can't nail my Bison link combos to save my life. I only play 3 bar and up matches, and even then sometimes there is a hint of lag every now and then. Maybe switching to a wired connection will help.

I really like Bison..... I wish his instant teleport didnt leave him so open with a freaking 10 frame vulnerability window. His is probably the worst out of the other 3 teleporters (Akuma, Seth, Dhalsim). I'm still trying to find that character that I like to play with though, I'd like to learn Dhalsim and Blanka next.

My win percentage is awful (50%).
 
With Bison are you trying to link his medium attacks (ie. - 2 low medium punches or low medium punch/standing medium kick) or just the 2-in-1 into a scissor kick?
One of Bison's safest tactics is just the low weak kick into the weak scissor kick. It's safe, and people LOVE to try to sweep in that sequence, which will get beaten by the scissor kick every time.

I know he's not that great, but I always want to recommend that Bison players give Honda a shot. That Oicho makes for a great pressure tactic. Blanka's the obvious choice, though. The weird properties of his his new overhead ball are frustrating as hell. When done at the right range, you HAVE to dash/counter to beat it. Otherwise it'll fall on top of you can you can't block it from either side, no matter what.

My winning % is actually much better than I figured it was, considering how many characters I like to play. I've got 1500 matches and 79% of them are wins. No clue what it would be if I just stuck to Honda, Bison, and Zangief, but that's boring.
 
With Bison are you trying to link his medium attacks (ie. - 2 low medium punches or low medium punch/standing medium kick) or just the 2-in-1 into a scissor kick?
One of Bison's safest tactics is just the low weak kick into the weak scissor kick. It's safe, and people LOVE to try to sweep in that sequence, which will get beaten by the scissor kick every time.

I know he's not that great, but I always want to recommend that Bison players give Honda a shot. That Oicho makes for a great pressure tactic. Blanka's the obvious choice, though. The weird properties of his his new overhead ball are frustrating as hell. When done at the right range, you HAVE to dash/counter to beat it. Otherwise it'll fall on top of you can you can't block it from either side, no matter what.

My winning % is actually much better than I figured it was, considering how many characters I like to play. I've got 1500 matches and 79% of them are wins. No clue what it would be if I just stuck to Honda, Bison, and Zangief, but that's boring.

Nope just trying to link 2 weak attacks into low medium kick into medium scissors. (weak lp, weak sk, medium lk, medium scissors)

I tried out Honda and he's ok, are you supposed to play that guy like a turtle or something?
 
With Honda I tend to follow a mix of attacking relentlessly and then backing off. His jumping fierce has huge range and priority (it usually exchanges w/ more damage against dragon punches) and links straight into his 100 hands. Once they start blocking, throw 1-2 jabs and then work the Oicho throw. As an easy/strong combo - just do a low MK into the headbutt. His low MP has insane range and priority. Lots of people go apeshit with low jabs, and the low MP will bust right through that. Once they stop jabbing all of the time - oicho 'em.
After an oicho, they're guaranteed to stay down for about 3/4 of a second. This is where you mix-up the 100 hands, a cross-up MK, low MK+headbutt, LK sumo smash, or another oicho. I love to start the 100 hands, and then stop right as they're getting up. This will either bait an ultra/counter, or it'll force them to block so you can oicho or LK sumo smash.

In terms of normal play, his standing HP has a lot of range, and the standing HK is great. It hits low and reaches way out.

Honda's ultra busts through projectiles, jumping attacks, and pretty much anything short of someone else's ultra. Once you have it - back off. Honda's moves aren't safe in a lot of matches, so try to bait them into attacking you, and then nailing them with the ultra. If you want to build it up quickly, start focus absorbing projectiles.

Honda's super is worthless...and you should probably never build it up. Hi EX moves are really the only anti-air moves he has, so save them for that purpose. The EX sumo smash hits twice most of the time and hurts a ton. It'll be your best friend against all of those pesky Sagats online. If Sagat's camping out - this is your projectile buster of choice. Learn to EX headbutt the instant someone's about to throw a fireball. That's your best friend. Ditto against Balrog's punches, because Honda has no safe moves in that match!
 
Last edited:
So last night I decided to try out this Championship Mode. 50 minutes later I'm at G3-B. At this point I'm wondering why I'm beating so many people(cuz I'm not that great). But my prayers were answered and I've been getting my butt whipped a lot more now against these A rank guys. Especially the A rank guys that use Zangief. I can't get lucky and beat them. I can be winning the entire match, and 2 throws later I'm dead. Fought a really good Ryu and Dhalsim last night. After fighting these guys, I figured I need to play my Guile a little better and a bit more careful. Tonight I'll see if I can get to A. :( Spent an hour trying last night and couldn't win enough back to back matches. Stupid Zangief players. Most of them are so shitty too. They just get their super/ultra off once and I'm dead :(
 
Zangief is a complete pile of trash in SF4. He's insanely effective, but it's WAY too easy to just keep spinning around like an idiot or jumping into the piledriver. Because SF4 is so much slower, the piledriver is also much easier to do than before.
I'm a long-time 'Geif player, and it's just annoying to have so many 'Gief spammers out there who can win without the first clue of how to play.

Whenever I know someone's using Zangief, my two go-to characters are Bison and Honda. Bison's head stomp/reverse are tough for 'Gief to stop as his spammy lariat won't work with either of them. If he jumps, the Bison double flying punch eats him up, especially if you follow up with an EX move or the ultra. The standing medium kick snuffs 'Giefs low kicks and the slide beats lariat spamming. If they do manage to close in on you, the teleport's great for getting you out of trouble. A 1/2 decent Bison can lay a beating on a pretty good 'Gief, let alone a bad one.

With Honda, it's all about the LK sumo smash and the slightly delayed headbutt. The LK smash beats the lariat in close, and usually hits twice. Use the HK version as an anti-air/escape. The fierce headbutt beats the lariat in most cases, but especially if you do it after 'Gief has already spun once, or if you're not super close. The EX headbutt pretty much beats it every time.
If he's trying to get close and spin around with lariat spams - use the EX version of the Oicho as your wake up.
If they're trying to "tic" with a low attack into the piledriver, buffer your headbutt or EX sumo smash off of any weak attack.

If you ever end up in a Zangief/Zangief match-up, I have yet to see any of them effectively deal with a good cross up. I tend to do the splash (really late), low LK, lariat. Alternate that with a splash, 2 low LP, piledriver sequence or splash, standing MK, EX banshing flat. It's a little annoying, but I have no qualms doing this until someone dies. It certainly beats lariat spamming.
 
Made it to G2 last night, starting to get the hang of how things work. Lots of scrubby Blanka's playing.. Vega is starting to be easier to play as a Viper. Still have to figure out Blanka, it's like almost a 50/50 match up, otherwise everything else is solid.
 
Made it to G2 last night, starting to get the hang of how things work. Lots of scrubby Blanka's playing.. Vega is starting to be easier to play as a Viper. Still have to figure out Blanka, it's like almost a 50/50 match up, otherwise everything else is solid.

Congrats on G2! Man you must be pretty good. I wish I could get to G2. haha
 
Yeah, I'm @ G2, but I pretty much stopped right at 2100 points.
I still seem to encounter more Ryu and Ken than anyone else. Sagat's probably 3rd, and Akuma's next.
Fighting Akuma is probably the easiest one for me. Unless the opponent is just flat out awesome, he takes WAY too much damage to keep up with an equally skilled player. One combo from Honda and an additional hit = dizzy Akuma, too. I know he can be awesome in the right hands, but I haven't run into any of those in a long time.
 
Congrats on G2! Man you must be pretty good. I wish I could get to G2. haha

Thanks!

Haha no, I wouldn't consider myself good by any means. Just lots of practice :p. I get torn apart by a lot of people in G2, I need to figure out different play styles, I feel that I'm limiting myself a lot, just need to play against these players more.. figure out what I can and can't do in certain situations.

Everyone will eventually get to G2 one way or another right? Just takes some time and frustration haha.

@Domingo, I know what you mean, I've played some pretty damn good Akuma's that my mind exploded, lol. I just didn't expect them to be that good. One problem I have is when shoto's pressure me with constant jabs and cross over jumps, forcing me to back off a lot. Plus, I've only played one really great Ken player, his combo's just looked so nice even I was amazed, LOL.
 
I need to get back into the game so I can seek my revenge against Domingo. Arggg :p
 
Picked it up finally last night for my 360....

I need to dedicate some serious time to it tonight.
 
Back
Top