• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Street Fighter 4 Thread

I played with Gouken a little, too. He reminds me a tiny bit of Urien in SF3 with the angled fireballs. It's almost like they took Gill and Urien from SF3 and divided them up into Seth and Gouken.
Can't say I've played any other Gouken's just because he takes so long to unlock. Still, his supers are both strong and his ability to throw people into a combo is pretty devastating. Like you mention - it's pretty easy to link EX's, and his ultra. The air dive/throw is also good for dealing with fire chukkers.
Seth should be unbeatable on paper, but he does no damage at all, and he takes damage worse than anyone. Gouken luckily doesn't have those faults.
I actually haven't had much of a problem with Rose yet, however he super is among the best in the game. That one and Vega's will both hit people out of anything pretty much instantly.

Rose will be a problem if people try with her, I'm already winning with her, and I'm a day in with her, she can combo into focus, ultra, her ultra is sick. Her old BNB combo crossup j. MK, c. MP, LK Drill is gross, she's one of the few characters whose crossup is unmolested, unlike Sakura's whose don't hit crouching opponents :mad:
 
Cross-ups have definitely been strengthened if you time when someone is getting up. I find that with Ryu, he turns around at the VERY last second. When doing a dragon punch, it's got tricky timing between inputting the motion forwards or backwards. I use that to my advantage whenever possible with 'Gief and Honda.
The Zangief splash cross-up is great. When I knock someone down, I've found that you always go for it and assume they'll quick rise. If they don't - immediately jump again to their other side and the timing is almost perfect for a deep cross up on their other side. Splash, medium punch, EX banishing fist = 1/3 of their life gone.
 
Rose will be a problem if people try with her, I'm already winning with her, and I'm a day in with her, she can combo into focus, ultra, her ultra is sick. Her old BNB combo crossup j. MK, c. MP, LK Drill is gross, she's one of the few characters whose crossup is unmolested, unlike Sakura's whose don't hit crouching opponents :mad:

I pretty much use Rose for all my ranked matches. She is a monster and I love her Shamwow Ultra. Most people get frustrated fighting against her since she and answer for just about everything.
 
I pretty much use Rose for all my ranked matches. She is a monster and I love her Shamwow Ultra. Most people get frustrated fighting against her since she and answer for just about everything.

More or less true, but her "drill" is no longer safe on block - any of 'em. A blocked drill of any kind = spinning piledriver or worse, the ultra. Even her soul spark can be grabbed off of a buffer as long as the piledriver motion is done before the game pushes her away automatically. Like seemingly everyone but Ryu and Blanka, 'Gief can give her a lot of problems. However she can soul throw him out of the body splash now. In Alpha 3, she was stuck having to exchange using her d+HP.
 
Cross-ups have definitely been strengthened if you time when someone is getting up. I find that with Ryu, he turns around at the VERY last second. When doing a dragon punch, it's got tricky timing between inputting the motion forwards or backwards. I use that to my advantage whenever possible with 'Gief and Honda.
The Zangief splash cross-up is great. When I knock someone down, I've found that you always go for it and assume they'll quick rise. If they don't - immediately jump again to their other side and the timing is almost perfect for a deep cross up on their other side. Splash, medium punch, EX banishing fist = 1/3 of their life gone.

I was playing with friends Saturday night, with Sakura, and my friend beat me one game because EVERY crossup I attempted he beat by ducking (he's using Ryu), then throwing. I wanted to break my stick, this is what she's had in every other game. I really want the dive kick, too :mad:

I pretty much use Rose for all my ranked matches. She is a monster and I love her Shamwow Ultra. Most people get frustrated fighting against her since she and answer for just about everything.

Rose will hopefully remain underplayed and underrated, she may become my 3rd option.

Also, something of note, the new tier list from Tougeki (JP publication) is out, and guess who is considerd top tier with Sagat and Zangief now? Akuma and C. VIPER??!
 
Has anyone managed to pull of Chun Li's ultra with the ps3's d-pad? I can do it about 1 in every 20 tries ... in which time i'd be dead 20 times over on an online fight. The only directions I need to press are left, right, left, right, and L2 for all 3 kicks, but I always manage to make her unintentionally jump somewhere in between. Any tips would be appreciated. (and I don't want to pay for a fight stick ;))

Heh... I move my right hand to the left shoulder buttons. Bad form and it leaves me wide open, but dammit i want my supers!
 
Also, something of note, the new tier list from Tougeki (JP publication) is out, and guess who is considerd top tier with Sagat and Zangief now? Akuma and C. VIPER??!

Akuma's a surprise. Much like Seth, he's got a lot of tools...but he takes damage like crazy. A normal ultra (aka. the one that isn't charged all the way up) pretty much takes half his bar. I guess if you're not taking hits he's pretty great, though. Mixing in the flaming fireballs and EX fireballs can really do a ton of block damage. Plus, as people get better using the focus attacks as a parry - you can pretty much never do that to him. Everything he has hits more than once :p

Crimson Viper doesn't suprise me. I haven't run into anyone who can play her that well yet, but there are some online tournament videos of players doing some crazy stuff with her. Every time I play someone using her I get a little scared because I know I'm bound to eventually run into someone who can do that stuff.
 
Akuma's a surprise. Much like Seth, he's got a lot of tools...but he takes damage like crazy. A normal ultra (aka. the one that isn't charged all the way up) pretty much takes half his bar. I guess if you're not taking hits he's pretty great, though. Mixing in the flaming fireballs and EX fireballs can really do a ton of block damage. Plus, as people get better using the focus attacks as a parry - you can pretty much never do that to him. Everything he has hits more than once :p

Crimson Viper doesn't suprise me. I haven't run into anyone who can play her that well yet, but there are some online tournament videos of players doing some crazy stuff with her. Every time I play someone using her I get a little scared because I know I'm bound to eventually run into someone who can do that stuff.

The shock is she was considered 2nd or 3rd worst in the game from day 1 in Japan. I was sure she had SOMETHING, but I figured nothing short of an infinite or glitch would move her from bottom to top.
 
Do you guys know whether they will release updates to the game to nerf/improve characters? It seems like something that'd be easy to quickly do with a simple patch, but would piss off loads of people at the same time.

I don't play enough to care either way. But I did have a lot of fun playing with friends over beers this weekend. My friends couldn't touch my gief! I'm afraid to play online (and plus my gold is expired) because I know It will make me feel like I suck.
 
Yeah, I haven't followed SF4 until pretty recently so I didn't know she was considered so weak. Some of the first videos I downloaded were of a Japanese tournament with a few good Vipers playing. In one case there was one beating up on Zangief and it was before I even knew 'Gief was good. All of the other videos were Ryu & Sagat so I just assumed those were the top 4 characters.
After playing it for a week, I definitely still think Zangief is elite. Sagat's good, but I find that some matches can give him trouble. Blanka and Honda really gain a lot from their EX self-projectiles, though. Blanka in particular seems really strong.
 
I personally like Akuma. I could go the Ken/Ryu route, but i have better luck landing his Ultra.

I couldn't hit with Ryu's Ultra, ever, just too slow and couldnt pull off a juggle.

This game is awesome by the way! Sooo much fun.
 
Yeah, I haven't followed SF4 until pretty recently so I didn't know she was considered so weak. Some of the first videos I downloaded were of a Japanese tournament with a few good Vipers playing. In one case there was one beating up on Zangief and it was before I even knew 'Gief was good. All of the other videos were Ryu & Sagat so I just assumed those were the top 4 characters.
After playing it for a week, I definitely still think Zangief is elite. Sagat's good, but I find that some matches can give him trouble. Blanka and Honda really gain a lot from their EX self-projectiles, though. Blanka in particular seems really strong.

Blanka is the "no-effort character". He's in the second tier of that list I metioned. I can see where he will succeed, especially for people who aren't super dexterous or technical. He can also link to his ultra (c. MK I think).

Sagat and Zangief still own this game, though. Zangief is only easily stopped by Sagat, but good techniacl play and use of Focus can overcome this. Akuma is pretty busted. I am sure he is high because of air fireball/teleport/run shenanigans. His EX air fireball is just effing stupid too.. The problem with him is you have little to no room for error. 1 SPD is about 1/3 his life. Then you can run from him.
 
I like the "no effort" Blanka, because that's pretty much true. The Blanka ball beats out a LOT of air moves that used to snuff it every time. The upward Blanka ball's as good as a dragon punch. Even the jump-back ball is somewhat safe as long as it doesn't miss. His normal attacks have crazy priority, too.
Against my buddy's 'Gief (which isn't as good as mine, but better in some ways) Blanka was pretty much beating him 1-on-1 with every move. That's never been a good match for 'Gief but it's even worse in this one.
Honda's similar, although his hands aren't worth a crap in this game. Damage is low (hit or block) and wake ups bust right through them. Luckily his sumo smash is overpowered as hell.
 
WTB a little more power in Chun Li... long time favorite and miss the SF3rd version of her =(
 
what are focused attacks?

It's an attack you use by pressing both the medium punch and kick button at the same time. If you hold it long enough, it'll be able to break through blocks and stun the opponent.

While you're doing the focus attack, you're also invincible to one attack. If they attack you with 2 hits, the 2nd one will go through, and your move will be canceled.
 
Focus attacks are something I still haven't gotten completely used to. I use them as semi-parries to get health back from fireballs, but I haven't mastered the timing of using them in battle all that well.
I will occasionally use them when someone is getting up, but too often I don't think about them.

Chun Li is pretty much worthless to me, personally. She was my #2 character in the SF2 and Alpha games, but in SF3 her jump kicks were nerfed and she's now a completely different character. Sadly, because the designer for SF4 also made SF3, we got the SF3 version of Chun Li. I realize she was certainly good in that one, but I can't stand her.
 
Focus attacks are something I still haven't gotten completely used to. I use them as semi-parries to get health back from fireballs, but I haven't mastered the timing of using them in battle all that well.
I will occasionally use them when someone is getting up, but too often I don't think about them.

Chun Li is pretty much worthless to me, personally. She was my #2 character in the SF2 and Alpha games, but in SF3 her jump kicks were nerfed and she's now a completely different character. Sadly, because the designer for SF4 also made SF3, we got the SF3 version of Chun Li. I realize she was certainly good in that one, but I can't stand her.

She's the best character in SF3 lol...but I see your point. Haven't tried her yet, but I like some of her combos and mobility, I will sooner or later, I think she's the Vega(now that he's garbage) of this game (jumpy character who throws well and can win on mobility and trickiness).
 
I definitely don't doubt that Chun Li is effective - they just changed her completely. To me it's the equivalent of taking away Honda's headbutt and giving him a fireball or removing Ryu's dragon punch.
Chun Li's been part of a mold for a long time, and she's just not the same any longer.
With Vega, he's more or less the same (style wise) they just nerfed his damage and took away his grab range. I'm sadly more apt to play Vega than Chun Li as a result.
 
Chunli was the same tier as Ryu and Yun in 3s as I recall.

But yes, in 4 she's only mid-tier and is a fair bit weaker. Vega has a strong 50/50 wakeup but that's about it.
 
Chunli was the same tier as Ryu and Yun in 3s as I recall.

But yes, in 4 she's only mid-tier and is a fair bit weaker. Vega has a strong 50/50 wakeup but that's about it.

No, Chun-Li runs 3s, Yun and Ken are like 2a and 2b. My bro plays Vega, I beat him with no real trouble, where in any other game, it would be a fight. I was using Sakura, Rose and Zangief BTW. We both looked at each other and declared the tier lists right, he got shafted bad...
 
I discovered Vega sucked after playing him in a normal player match over the weekend. In training mode he seems more or less the same...and then you realize that his claw roll starts up sloooooowly, and it does no block damage. Then you see his claw dive/suplex has no range and must be done really early. Even his pretty good normal attacks do no damage and he loses his claw too easily. His really only redeeming qualities are that his moves still have good range/priority, his air-throw is good, and his ultra is great at long range. If they do anything but block when you start heading for that wall - they're losing 1/3 of their life.
 
Starting to like Guile more, you can absolutely hammer ppl if you mix up high and low attacks after a well timed sonic boom and his flash kick seems pretty strong.

Played an Abel fighter earlier who was absolutely brilliant, in the right hands he seems unbeatable! Picks you out of the air and throws you away and all his combos seems to end with a throw so even if you block it the throw will get you at the end.
 
Yeah, Abel's 3-hit combo has a mix up in it that I don't fully understand. I know the 2nd punch hit works as an overhead and you can alternate that with a sweep...but I'm not sure about how that last hit works. My lone loss on player matches (other than to my friends like Adonay and Blah79) was to an Abel guy. He seemed to have really good timing in linking that wheel kick to different mix ups and he always seemed to know when to jump and avoid the spinning piledriver.
With Guile, I know he has a new overhead. Hopefully that helps him out. Can't say I've played a decent Guile in a long time. Even in HD Remix there weren't (m)any.
 
After beating my bro's Vega, he played Guile and actually got a few wins. I think Guile is underrated, in the right hands he can be super annoying.

I still don't know what to think of Abel, I don't like him so far, but I'm sure he can do well if played properly. He reminds me of a slightly watered down Clark from King Of Fighters. Definitely won't be top tier unless something groundbreaking is discovered, but a solid choice if you like that style of character.

Undecided on Gouken, also. He seems really strong, and has the dead easiest combos, but his normals and lack of a real Dragon Punch have me thinking he's middle of the road.
 
The main thing that puzzles me about Abel is his windmill throw. I swear I've been grabbed by people and the CPU from a giant distance, but when I try to do it - he sticks his hand out and whiffs. Same with his punch mix-up. When I do it, it looks like people are just blocking low all of the time. When it's done to me, that 2nd hit breaks through my low defense. I've gotten to the point that I just try to piledrive him out of that sequence rather than block it.
 
The main thing that puzzles me about Abel is his windmill throw. I swear I've been grabbed by people and the CPU from a giant distance, but when I try to do it - he sticks his hand out and whiffs. Same with his punch mix-up. When I do it, it looks like people are just blocking low all of the time. When it's done to me, that 2nd hit breaks through my low defense. I've gotten to the point that I just try to piledrive him out of that sequence rather than block it.

I would do some CPU training or go on shoryuken.com and research the properties of the move.
 
I need a damn arcade stick. The ultras are nearly impossible for me to do in training mode, let alone a real match. Thinking about a madcatz tournament edition. It's sold out, but they're making more to fill the unexpectedly high demand.
 
Anyone got tips on avoiding projectiles like akuma's, ryu's, and ken's fireballs. I'm getting destroyed because of them. I tend to block them, but my heath wears down after a while, and I can't even get close to them. It's so damn annoying :mad:.
 
Blanka can duck under them, but just jump over them and advance, then sweep the leg, or throw them. Sagat's fireballs are the hardest to avoid for some reason.
 
I suck so hard at this game atm it isn't funny. I bumped it down to very easy and I still can't be the Seth :(

I need a damn arcade stick. The ultras are nearly impossible for me to do in training mode, let alone a real match. Thinking about a madcatz tournament edition. It's sold out, but they're making more to fill the unexpectedly high demand.

I think this might be the key to my success. I can't control the ex or ultra combos for the life of me in a fight.
 
So far I've only tried out Fei Long, Ryu, C. Viper, Abel, and Chun Li. I've been able to pull off their ultras using the d-pad no problem, but have only been able to pull off Chun Li's with luck. The others I can do usually whenever I want to. I think doing the ultras on the d-pad aren't too bad if you give it enough time.
 
So far I've only tried out Fei Long, Ryu, C. Viper, Abel, and Chun Li. I've been able to pull off their ultras using the d-pad no problem, but have only been able to pull off Chun Li's with luck. The others I can do usually whenever I want to. I think doing the ultras on the d-pad aren't too bad if you give it enough time.

Chun Li's ultra is the same as Blanka's. The rest of that list is simple double qcf + attack motions, those are easy. :p
 
Chun Li's ultra is the same as Blanka's. The rest of that list is simple double qcf + attack motions, those are easy. :p

:(

I just can't get them down, no matter what I try.

But anyways, so far I like Crimson Viper the best.
 
I've been doing the challenge mode, and I swear E. Honda has simple combos that do TONS of damage, doesn't need an ultra charge either to pull off some ultra damage (head but into Super Head but takes off 50% of life, and it's easy to pull off). His Orichio Throw is super annoying too.....
 
I got it for 360. I suck ass. :( I played against the computer and got my ass handed to me. First fight, round one I didn't even land an attack. Second round I got the PCs hp down by 50% and then died. I was playing Ryu and the PC was Ken.
 
Back
Top