Straight Talk has stopped selling AT&T SIM cards...

We drove from the D/FW metroplex out to east Texas last night (specifically Malakoff, Texas) and I had absolutely no problems with data all the way there. In fact at my aunt's place in Malakoff I had better HSPA+ speeds than I do here at home! I got about 4mbit down and 1.5mbit up...

It was definitely worth switching for me based on coverage alone - now I can't wait to see how the signal fares inside buildings.

So what kind of speeds are you seeing here in the metroplex with ST Blue? That's good to hear about heading to East Texas and still getting a signal. I have a grandfather out in Dangerfield and I'm hoping I will get a good signal out there. I also spend a lot of time visiting the other half of the family and they live out in West Texas. I have the sim cards, but I've been waiting b/c i will have to pay the $200 early term fee on 2 lines. Ironically enough, it still will be cheaper to do that and pay the $45 a month with ST. In the year left on the contract we would save about $80. Sad isn't it.

So what kind of speeds are you seeing here in the metroplex with ST Blue? That's good to hear about heading to East Texas and still getting a signal. I have a grandfather out in Dangerfield and I'm hoping I will get a good signal out there. I also spend a lot of time visiting the other half of the family and they live out in West Texas. I have the sim cards, but I've been waiting b/c i will have to pay the $200 early term fee on 2 lines. Ironically enough, it still will be cheaper to do that and pay the $45 a month with ST. In the year left on the contract we would save about $80. Sad isn't it.

So far around here in D/FW I usually get around 1.5 - 3mbit downstream and anywhere between 512kbit and 2mbit upstream, it depends greatly on the area and wether I'm in a building or not. It's clearly not as fast as T-Mobile was but the coverage more than makes up for it.

After reading all of the posts, I decided to run to Walmart here in SC to purchase a ST SIM card for an AT&T phone. When I got there I was told that Walmart does not sell SIM cards in the stores. I have to purchase it online. So I ran back home and made my purchase. Hopefully it will work when it arrives.

I fucking hate StraightTalk. I guess it's OK for people are are not data-heavy. I use around 4-6 GB a day just watching/streaming stuff.

I fucking hate StraightTalk. I guess it's OK for people are are not data-heavy. I use around 4-6 GB a day just watching/streaming stuff.

And your phone is on the charger constantly? Seriously, 4-6GB/day is ridiculous

That is a lot. My max is 82GB in one month, and that was my phone being using as a wifi/hotspot for my home network, which included Netflix as our ONLY source of television on a mid-sized HDTV.

An average of 5GB/day, or 150GB/mo, is more than my entire household of heavy data users were able to consume. If this person hates Straight Talk, then they are simply upset that they can't get a premium data plan at a welfare-like price. (Note, you can, but it requires AT&T MediaNet).

That is a lot. My max is 82GB in one month, and that was my phone being using as a wifi/hotspot for my home network, which included Netflix as our ONLY source of television on a mid-sized HDTV.

An average of 5GB/day, or 150GB/mo, is more than my entire household of heavy data users were able to consume. If this person hates Straight Talk, then they are simply upset that they can't get a premium data plan at a welfare-like price. (Note, you can, but it requires AT&T MediaNet).

Hard to believe someone uses more data on their cell phone then 3/4 of the US on their broadband.

I don't think P4rD0nM3 is the target audience for these types of plans. This is for people who need a phone but don't need the outrageous prices the providers are suggesting, not data-hungry users who stream high def movies 24/7.

I'm waiting for my final AT&T bill and then giving them a call next month to let them know a customer since Cingular (circa 2000) is leaving because their prices are ridiculous.

I'm waiting for my final AT&T bill and then giving them a call next month to let them know a customer since Cingular (circa 2000) is leaving because their prices are ridiculous.

I also started as a Cingular customer back in 2002.....I left to go to Straight Talk back in December.....the guy in the AT&T store where I went to pay my final bill tried to get me to stay..... when I told him what I was going to be paying he about shit ..my bill its literally less than half as much as it was before...and I get unlimited web with the ST plan , my AT&T was caped at 3Gb unless I wanted to pay even more.....

They really should look around and see how their prices are driving people away.....

oh and as a final fuck you, they tried to charge me a $54.00 early termination fee to port my number out 2 weeks early.......even though my bill was paid up until my contract expiration date.....I told him to eat a bag of dick...rather loudly also as quite a few people in the store heard it..I was leaving for Mexico the next morning so I just said fuck it and waited till I got back...no way I was paying that $54.00 .....greedy fuckers

I also started as a Cingular customer back in 2002.....I left to go to Straight Talk back in December.....the guy in the AT&T store where I went to pay my final bill tried to get me to stay..... when I told him what I was going to be paying he about shit ..my bill its literally less than half as much as it was before...and I get unlimited web with the ST plan , my AT&T was caped at 3Gb unless I wanted to pay even more.....

They really should look around and see how their prices are driving people away.....

oh and as a final fuck you, they tried to charge me a $54.00 early termination fee to port my number out 2 weeks early.......even though my bill was paid up until my contract expiration date.....I told him to eat a bag of dick...rather loudly also as quite a few people in the store heard it..I was leaving for Mexico the next morning so I just said fuck it and waited till I got back...no way I was paying that $54.00 .....greedy fuckers

i also started my service with att in 2002. Just switched all 5 of my lines to straight talk. Setup auto refill for 42.50 a month and am happier than hell. I transferred my numbers, cancelled my lines, told them to bill me the ETF, and to kiss me ass for ridiculous rates.

I'm glad I found this thread! I just ordered a sim from ST a week ago. Not knowing alot about this whole thing, I was kind of surprised that their site didn't lead me to any choices based on my phone etc. So the thing shows up and it's Tmobile standard sim. I have an iphone 4 previously ATT, but unlocked. My husband cuts the sim and I am up and running minus the MMS which is not working. When I talked to cust service I was told the same thing about them no longer selling the ATT cards. I was like, but then you won't give me and exchange or money back for this one....what a scam! Send everyone the wrong card and then you make twice as much money on it! Anyway, the card was not micro and my husband cut it down and I have service. ATT micro sims are now marked SOLD OUT on walmart.com and I'm pretty sure the other day it did not say that. I ordered an ATT standard sim as my husband said, no biggie, I'll just cut it down again. We'll see if it shows up next week. I was sitting next my buddy yesterday...he has same setup with ATT sim...and he was pulling 3G and I was not.

I'm glad I found this thread! I just ordered a sim from ST a week ago. Not knowing alot about this whole thing, I was kind of surprised that their site didn't lead me to any choices based on my phone etc. So the thing shows up and it's Tmobile standard sim. I have an iphone 4 previously ATT, but unlocked. My husband cuts the sim and I am up and running minus the MMS which is not working. When I talked to cust service I was told the same thing about them no longer selling the ATT cards. I was like, but then you won't give me and exchange or money back for this one....what a scam! Send everyone the wrong card and then you make twice as much money on it! Anyway, the card was not micro and my husband cut it down and I have service. ATT micro sims are now marked SOLD OUT on walmart.com and I'm pretty sure the other day it did not say that. I ordered an ATT standard sim as my husband said, no biggie, I'll just cut it down again. We'll see if it shows up next week. I was sitting next my buddy yesterday...he has same setup with ATT sim...and he was pulling 3G and I was not.

check out this link to get mms working on your tmobile sim.

I'm running version 6 and most of the fixes I found are for versions 5 and under. Makes me nervous to try anything. I was thinking of jailbreaking it but it is under applecare with the prior owner....is that transferrable to me? If not, I will most likely jailbreak after the ATT sim shows up. My buddy did it to his already and he will help me.

.. ATT micro sims are now marked SOLD OUT on walmart.com and I'm pretty sure the other day it did not say that...

They have the bundle options available on the Walmart website, which is the $45 plan plus the AT&T SIM card for $55. You save $5 when doing the bundle as well. I ordered 2 sets of them, should be here next week!

Yeah it's alway charged.

I stream a lot. YouTube is kinda my radio at work and I always upload a bunch too. Then add Netflix, Twitch TV, etc.

I'm not upset. I even said that StraightTalk is for people who don't use a lot of data. I just hate them for saying it's unlimited upfront but then don't specify upfront that it's only unlimited if X conditions are met.

Hard to believe someone uses more data on their cell phone then 3/4 of the US on their broadband.

I don't think P4rD0nM3 is the target audience for these types of plans. This is for people who need a phone but don't need the outrageous prices the providers are suggesting, not data-hungry users who stream high def movies 24/7.

tempted to go ST but I need to figure out if I can get my Droid 3 on the network.

NET10 just announced that their AT&T SIM cards will now have a 1.5GB/30days hard cap (it is retro active to existing SIMs as soon as you reload). All I have to say to that is that its about time. I'm tired of these unlimited but not really unlimited plans, so now we can see some actual competition based on real metered plans rather than having to guess which pre-paid dealer is going to be more of a dick about their undefined arbitrary cap.

Hopefully Straight Talk follows suit, maybe with a soft cap instead of a hard cap :D.

is there anything better than Straight Talk? I've come to zero signal/bar or no service inside my room with straight talk. So I wonder if there's anything out there that's better than Straight Talk in terms of signals.

is there anything better than Straight Talk? I've come to zero signal/bar or no service inside my room with straight talk. So I wonder if there's anything out there that's better than Straight Talk in terms of signals.

Step 1: Find a Big-4 carrier (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon) that has good service in your area, especially at home/work.

Step 2: Find an MVNO for that carrier, a company that leases airtime from them and resells it for less. Examples (there are many, this is a small list):

AT&T = Straight Talk
Sprint = Ting
T-Mobile = Straight Talk, Simple Mobile
Verizon = Page Plus

Again, that's not an all inclusive list. There are also some smaller regional operators that do have their own towers. So, follow step one, then report back and some of us here can help you with step 2.

*waves* Hey, everyone! Newbie here (or should I say n00bie?). :)

I have an unlocked AT&T iPhone 4. I had done careful research on what pay as you go plan to use and decided Straight Talk would be the best for me. Imagine my surprise when I tried to purchase the micro sim, only to be told it was out of stock. As you all know, it kind of sounds like they aren't coming back, or if they are, we have no idea when.

So here is my question. Can I use the Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM on my iPhone if I have it cut down to size? Since my phone was made my AT&T? I am currently using my trimmed down T-Mobile SIM and it works fine. This might be an obvious question, so forgive my ignorance. Thank you in advance!

*waves* Hey, everyone! Newbie here (or should I say n00bie?). :)

I have an unlocked AT&T iPhone 4. I had done careful research on what pay as you go plan to use and decided Straight Talk would be the best for me. Imagine my surprise when I tried to purchase the micro sim, only to be told it was out of stock. As you all know, it kind of sounds like they aren't coming back, or if they are, we have no idea when.

So here is my question. Can I use the Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM on my iPhone if I have it cut down to size? Since my phone was made my AT&T? I am currently using my trimmed down T-Mobile SIM and it works fine. This might be an obvious question, so forgive my ignorance. Thank you in advance!
You could go on EBay and still buy an ATT sim. The prices are obviously high now (around $50) but you will make that back with the presumed savings from the ST plan vs. your old plan

You could go on EBay and still buy an ATT sim. The prices are obviously high now (around $50) but you will make that back with the presumed savings from the ST plan vs. your old plan

It's crazy how expensive they are on ebay! People are making some serious bucks. I did pick up a Net10 micro sim while I was out, just in case I couldn't get on with Straight Talk. Should I just go with them? Or should I get the Straight Talk Tmobile SIM and cut it down?

Decisions decisions! :D Things weren't this complicated before we became grown ups... LOL

Honestly I think Straight Talk will have AT&T SIM cards again, but under the new data cap terms that NET10 has. Straight Talk and NET10 both have the same parent company. It's possible they are just testing the data caps with NET10 first.

Honestly I think Straight Talk will have AT&T SIM cards again, but under the new data cap terms that NET10 has. Straight Talk and NET10 both have the same parent company. It's possible they are just testing the data caps with NET10 first.

So basically it at this point it doesn't matter which one I go with at this point? :D Net10 will put me on AT&T's network and Straight Talk on TMobile (for the time being)?

So is there any real difference between Net10 an ST AT&T sims anyhow? Besides the data cap, I would think it be to the same coverage and service. After all, it's still the AT&T network.

I have 2 ST AT&T sim I am seriously pondering selling on Ebay. Those things are going for about $70. I'll just sell them and buy a few Net10 AT&T sims from Amazon on the cheap and call it even. Seems like a good plan at any rate.

Straight Talk ATT here in Chicago has gotten really slow for me. I am on ST ATT with my Nexus 4, my Wife on it with her HTC One X, and my brother on it with his Galaxy Nexus. All three of us have noticed extremely slow speeds, pretty much Edge 2G speeds, the past couple of months. No where near the supposed HSPA+ speeds we expect. We get dog slow, snail pace speeds.

None of us go over 2GB data month, I average around 1.5GB/Month, my Wife always under 1GB/Month, and my brother around 1.2GB/Month. So neither of us should have been throttled.

I read so many different APN settings, what are the best known for fastest speeds ? Or is ST ATT known to be slowed down in the Chicago area ? Or maybe I should try out Go Smart T-Mobile ?

Last edited:
I e-mailed Straight Talk, they replied said call the 1-800 #. So I just did, got a hold of someone, he said my account has a note on it "Data speeds reduced" I asked why, because my average monthly use is always around 1.5GB/Month. Customer Service Rep said he can't help with that, but would transfer me to another service person, and all that was just an auto message on how to reduce data, by using WiFi as much as possible, and have nothing on auto update. But there was no one to actually speak about this with about it. Ugh :mad: The automated message that says "Customer service reps can not restore your original data speeds, but please use WiFi as much as possible, and turn off all Sync options, and turn off auto updates, etc..."

So now what ?

I e-mailed Straight Talk, they replied said call the 1-800 #. So I just did, got a hold of someone, he said my account has a note on it "Data speeds reduced" I asked why, because my average monthly use is always around 1.5GB/Month. Customer Service Rep said he can't help with that, but would transfer me to another service person, and all that was just an auto message on how to reduce data, by using WiFi as much as possible, and have nothing on auto update. But there was no one to actually speak about this with about it. Ugh :mad: The automated message that says "Customer service reps can not restore your original data speeds, but please use WiFi as much as possible, and turn off all Sync options, and turn off auto updates, etc..."

So now what ?
Buy a new SIM :p

Does the throttled speeds go back to normal at the end of the billing cycle?

Buy a new SIM :p

Does the throttled speeds go back to normal at the end of the billing cycle?

Don't think so ? Has been slow for a couple months now, my Brother says the same thing, dog slow data speeds lately. And the customer service reps can not help, keep getting transferred to an automatic message, not a real live person to help me.

I just checked by Monthly data, and the past several months, never once went over 2GB/Month.

Looks like I might need to check out Go Smart from T-Mobile ?

From what I understand, this is a major issue of having Straight Talk. Once you go over their "invisible" data limit, you are throttled (I have heard reports of 1.5gb/mo). Further, I am not sure whenever your account is reset... wouldn't be at all surprised if its based on the length of your air time whenever you first purchase new air time cards. In other words, if you bought a 3 month card, it might be 3 months before it gets "renewed" for data.

I am on Straight Talk as well, and did alot of research before opting to their service (I use an AT&T sim). From the get-go, I used Wi-Fi whenever possible, and have managed to keep my cellular data below 500mb, so thus far, I have yet to experience the throttling like Zorachus is. I would recommend you keep calling Straight Talk and talk to managers until you can get to someone who is willing to give a $hit about what is happening with your service. Then, once they "reset" the data, start using Wi-Fi much more reguarly.

Honestly, I don't know why Straight Talk would even care. Data users are not their target audience. So most likely they will throttle you until you leave.

Back