Still alive!

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an OCZ Vertex 3 (120gb) that was my primary drive until last year (Upgraded motherboard had an nvme so i also upgraded the drive to a 970evo). The PC it's on just died and i'm considering what to do with it.

This SSD was bought back in 2011, at the time i was worried about it wearing out, but here it is, 10+ years and two rigs later and it's still working.

That SSD is basically my benchmark, if that thing lasted this long, i shouldn't expect much issue with the nvme's right? (I'll just try to lean towards the models with dram)

I have an OCZ Vertex 3 (120gb) that was my primary drive until last year (Upgraded motherboard had an nvme so i also upgraded the drive to a 970evo). The PC it's on just died and i'm considering what to do with it.

This SSD was bought back in 2011, at the time i was worried about it wearing out, but here it is, 10+ years and two rigs later and it's still working.

That SSD is basically my benchmark, if that thing lasted this long, i shouldn't expect much issue with the nvme's right? (I'll just try to lean towards the models with dram)
I've had very few SSD's die and we use a lot of them for work... in servers. (management thinks it's a good idea to use consumer grade ssds in servers)

Only ones I remember really giving me problems were a handful of Sandisk X400 drives, Mushkin REACTOR 1TB (replaced a handful of times then trashed) and 1 WD 500GB (replaced under warranty)

We use strictly WD and Samsung SSD's now as of last count about 30 Samsungs PRO's, 20+ Sandisk, and well over 80 WD's in service. Did not have a single Samsung failure yet and those are used with SQL servers.

On a personal level, never had any of them fail. OCZ, Corsair, PNY, WD, Samsung. All still work.

I've had very few SSD's die and we use a lot of them for work... in servers. (management thinks it's a good idea to use consumer grade ssds in servers)

Only ones I remember really giving me problems were a handful of Sandisk X400 drives, Mushkin REACTOR 1TB (replaced a handful of times then trashed) and 1 WD 500GB (replaced under warranty)

We use strictly WD and Samsung SSD's now as of last count about 30 Samsungs PRO's, 20+ Sandisk, and well over 80 WD's in service. Did not have a single Samsung failure yet and those are used with SQL servers.

On a personal level, never had any of them fail. OCZ, Corsair, PNY, WD, Samsung. All still work.
I had a Mushkin SSD fail on me.

+1 Mushkin SSD died either immediately after plugging it in, or in the box before I got it.

I know it's too small of a sample size but I also haven't purchased more since.

+1 Mushkin SSD died either immediately after plugging it in, or in the box before I got it.

I know it's too small of a sample size but I also haven't purchased more since.
After my Mushkin drive died, one of my friends said something like, "Why did you ever buy Mushkin? Don't you know it's a crap brand?" Haven't touched that brand since.

Only a Crucial M4 has failed on me to date.

My other oldest SSDs are still alive - an 840 EVO, an 840 vanilla and an 840 Pro. I probably have between 50-100 SSDs by Crucial and Samsung in a few production workstations at the moment.

After my Mushkin drive died, one of my friends said something like, "Why did you ever buy Mushkin? Don't you know it's a crap brand?" Haven't touched that brand since.
Mushkin use to be one of the best memory vendors out there a long time ago. I still have DDR3 sticks running in various hand me down machines.

Reactions: Axman
like this
"Why did you ever buy Mushkin? Don't you know it's a crap brand?"

Yeah, no, they were the premium brand that you paid a little extra for better timings and lower voltage for increased reliability and longevity.

The Vertex 3 (and the Sandforce controller it was based on) was a shit show of reliability. Years ago we had boxes of them that were pulled after 10-30% failure rates. You hit the silicon lottery if you have one that still works (well.)

Only SSDs I have failed on me are a Crucial 64GB M225 and a Team Group 240GB L5. But that's because the L5 was doing Distributed Computing... specifically OpenPandemics GPU work on World Community Grid. Lots of writes for those tasks and it only lasted a couple hundred TB if that lol.

Now I buy Enterprise SSDs off eBay that can do 3PB or higher of writes for my Distributed Computing rigs :)

The M225 on the other hand was a member of the OG torture/endurance testing we did a XtemeSystems back in 2011. It did 963TB before it died.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm

Only SSDs I have failed on me are a Crucial 64GB M225 and a Team Group 240GB L5. But that's because the L5 was doing Distributed Computing... specifically OpenPandemics GPU work on World Community Grid. Lots of writes for those tasks and it only lasted a couple hundred TB if that lol.

Now I buy Enterprise SSDs off eBay that can do 3PB or higher of writes for my Distributed Computing rigs :)

The M225 on the other hand was a member of the OG torture/endurance testing we did a XtemeSystems back in 2011. It did 963TB before it died.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm
Man, do I miss the says of xs being a hopping forum.

Man, do I miss the says of xs being a hopping forum.
Yep. When it went down for weeks and then lost years of info, on of our members took it upon himself to create another XS forum (XS4S.org) because of the DC work we are doing...need to be able to communicate lol. Most of us moved there and still are there..minus some fallen soldiers unfortunately.

Yep. When it went down for weeks and then lost years of info, on of our members took it upon himself to create another XS forum (XS4S.org) because of the DC work we are doing...need to be able to communicate lol. Most of us moved there and still are there..minus some fallen soldiers unfortunately.
Oh I had no idea that existed. Nice! I used to post there around 2005 through 2010ish pretty regularly, still have my account. I'll have to sign up on xs4s soon. :)

Kingston V300 drives for me. A lot of people moaned at them for not having the async flash or whatever but man I rolled out well over 100 of them back in the day and they never quit.

Always happy to see one in a old build as I know it will be okay.

I had one OCZ die on me pretty fast, replaced it with an intel, years later II had some issues with a crucial (think MX500) that every couple days dissapeared from my system, got it refunded, swap was not possible due to no inventory at the shop.

Mostly use intel of Samsung now, but I have one of the new OCZ drives, and also a toshiba in one of my machines oh and a Gigabyte in my PS5

I'm not surprised that the Vertex 3 is still working. That sandforce controller was a lot better than the Vertex 2. I think Intel used a custom version of the SF 2281 one in the Vertex 3 on their SATA SSDs back in the day.

Vertex 2...total POS. Vertex 3...much better.

I think I have an OCz ssd I still use from time to time for bench testing stuff. It's a deneva 2 though, bought from another [H]'er several years ago.

Vertex 2...total POS. Vertex 3...much better.
Unfortunately, that is more a distinction without a difference. Saying the Vertex 3 was better than the Vertex 2 is like saying would you rather be stuck in a shipping container with 4 rabid wolverines or 6? Either result is sub optimal :)

The Indilinx controller was fine IMO for it's time...it was OCZ and their FW that sucked.

Put it in a cheap USB 3.0 External. Cheap portable storage

Back