Steam VR Weekend Sale

HardOCP News

[H] News
Steam's VR Weekend Sale is offering up to 80% off of a total of 175 VR games. If yu are interested, you'd better not wait too long, you only have until Monday, August 1st and 10AM PDT to get in on the deals.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They need to have a sale on the hardware not the software. Though there aren't any games that I have been dying to play in VR yet anyway.

I have a Vive, already bought most of the good games during summer sale
Which games do you think are best? I got a chance to try the Vive out at work. I have used the Oculus Rift dev kits before, and the Samsung Gear VR. I thought the Vive was in a whole new category. The controllers are awesome. I only played around with the Google Paint program.
I am still trying to wait for the next gen hardware. After using it, it makes it a lot more difficult to resist.

Here are the games I have purchased for testing VR and GPUs. None on there that I thought were not worth the money.

upload_2016-7-30_12-11-44.png

So Kyle, I know you guys are working a GPU test article that will focus on VR performance... But what about the VR tech itself? You guys haven't really gotten into publishing anything on the [H] site covering the tech itself or discussing its impact/future or personal experiences. There have been a bunch of us here on the forum (myself included) that really like and support this tech and don't feel it is another "fad" like 3D TV. Then there have been others here (many without ever having tried it) that have more or less bashed it stating that it will die off and never catch on because no one wants to wear stupid goggles or pay the high price of entry.

So, what are your thoughts on the VR tech itself? Ground breaking or will it just fade away? New era in gaming that will only get better or just a silly fad? I personally think it's fantastic and here to stay. (Own both a Vive and a Rift and having a blast with both!)

Nice I am waiting for next gen hardware to see what they improve on. But I might pull a trigger on some titles.

Also on the side Kyle, have you considered starting a youtube channel? Man I am tired of half ass video reviews I see that talk nothing about overclocking. Would love to see you put up a few reviews sharing your experience vs what I see out there.
We did lots of videos years ago, but they were just too resource intensive for the money they made. Doing good videos on tech is expensive and tremendously time consuming.

So Kyle, I know you guys are working a GPU test article that will focus on VR performance... But what about the VR tech itself? You guys haven't really gotten into publishing anything on the [H] site covering the tech itself or discussing its impact/future or personal experiences. There have been a bunch of us here on the forum (myself included) that really like and support this tech and don't feel it is another "fad" like 3D TV. Then there have been others here (many without ever having tried it) that have more or less bashed it stating that it will die off and never catch on because no one wants to wear stupid goggles or pay the high price of entry.

So, what are your thoughts on the VR tech itself? Ground breaking or will it just fade away? New era in gaming that will only get better or just a silly fad? I personally think it's fantastic and here to stay. (Own both a Vive and a Rift and having a blast with both!)
Our first article will publish Monday, putting the finishing touches now. It is more of a testbed to see how it is all received by the readers. Very narrow look at GPU VR performance. Gotta start somewhere.

As far as covering the actual hardware, I am not really sure what we would actually have to say about it. There are only two headsets out at the and those are what they are. If there was a lot more hardware choices for headsets, that is something we would actually look at reviewing.

I do not see this being like 3D was. They physical headsets and cost is surely a barrier to entry, but I think that will change as the tech moves forward.

Here to stay? This is a quote from the review on Monday.

As you can probably tell from what is written above, we have gotten to be big fans of VR in the last couple of months. The Vive has gotten me as excited about gaming as AMD Eyefinity did back in March in 2010, and that was pretty damn excited. And in a few ways, I personally see the Vive and Rift being Eyefinity and NVIDIA Surround killers. Between VR, the appearance of 4K TVs with low input lag gaming, and Pascal generation GPUs being able to easily drive these devices, Eyefinity’s and Surround’s days are numbered in my opinion. I have personally used 3-display Eyefinity and Surround for over 6 years and I just recently replaced it with a single Samsung 48" JS9000. Now that I have the Vive I will never again deal with a multi-monitor desktop where gaming is involved.

Hardware needs to evolve. Something like big sunglasses might be ok. But even something ski goggle sized would get uncomfortable and sweaty really quick... not to mention the weight of the hardware. All of the 1st gen stuff is huge, sweaty, and heavy.

Get them down to a pair of Oakleys or Ray-bans and I'll bite.

Trying a Vive for myself definitely made up my mind about it. I was on the fence and kind of had a "sounds cool but not for the money" type of attitude, but after playing it...this is definitely the future. The hardware can only get better from here and I imagine prices will drop quite a bit as well. I picked up a 1080 not too long ago and I'll be getting a VR headset (probably Vive but want to see what Oculus Touch brings) by end of year or early 2017.

Here's My current list.

I enjoy Hover Junker and Altspace
Kids keep playing Job SIm.

Don't get me wrong, about the only gamne I dislike is... IKEA VR EXP
:p

upload_2016-8-2_14-56-41.png

Sold the Oculus Rift I bought for testing. Will pick back up with it next year when they have controllers maybe.

wtf is that?! is it a VR simulator to practice putting together their "furniture"?

No, more an expirement in seeing what an example IKEA kitchen is like... they also let you cook some meatballs on a stove. Pretty lame overall, but it does showcase the possibilities of trying things out and designing a room while actually standing in it.

lol! I was imagining trying to put together a Hurdal 9 drawer chest virtually and getting the REAL frustration levels that it entails.

OK, got me a new install / clean VR machine up and running. My "VR" catalog as of now.

upload_2016-8-2_17-38-53.png

Back