Steam version of Final Fantasy VII

yeah, I agree. However, I'm still fond of X as it was the last game with a true turn-based battle system. You had complete control of the pacing, battles and charactors. Titus was a sissy though.

and while I can respect that you liked 8, that's another one that I really think they jumped the shark on. 9 on the other hand, I loved it. It's up there as one of my all time favorite FF titles.

I feel that most that started playing with FF2 and FF3 [FF4 and FF6] loved FF9 as it brought us all back to the SNES feeling of the FF series. FF7 was great at the time if not just for the first PSX release. Add to that the countless side quests and what not, it was great. I wouldn't rank it as high as FF6 or FF9 but it's still a great game.

FF2 and FF3. For us who grew up with these games, nothing much to be said. Replayed the games who knows how many times.

FF8 I wasn't as big as a fan of. The characters weren't the best. The story felt jumbled. The junction system was horrid.

FF9 as I said before was a very nostalgic feeling game. If you grew up in the SNES era, chances are you loved the game. I sure did.

Chrono Cross - not a FF game but close enough. I really enjoyed that game as well. Was a great game and much prefer that over FF8.

FFT. Amazing. Just amazing game.

FFX. Most of the characters annoyed me to no end but the battle system was very enjoyable.

FFXII. Was a fan of the political story. Actually, I was a fan of the game in general. Sadly the side quests and hunts couldn't hold my interest as much as say, FF9 and FF7 in that dept.

FFXIII. Up and X. The whole game.

Edit: Forgot FF5! Just the class system itself was great. Other than that, similar to the SNES era and overall very good game.

Last edited:
I feel that most that started playing with FF2 and FF3 [FF4 and FF6] loved FF9 as it brought us all back to the SNES feeling of the FF series. FF7 was great at the time if not just for the first PSX release. Add to that the countless side quests and what not, it was great. I wouldn't rank it as high as FF6 or FF9 but it's still a great game.

FF2 and FF3. For us who grew up with these games, nothing much to be said. Replayed the games who knows how many times.

FF8 I wasn't as big as a fan of. The characters weren't the best. The story felt jumbled. The junction system was horrid.

FF9 as I said before was a very nostalgic feeling game. If you grew up in the SNES era, chances are you loved the game. I sure did.

Chrono Cross - not a FF game but close enough. I really enjoyed that game as well. Was a great game and much prefer that over FF8.

FFX. Most of the characters annoyed me to no end but the battle system was very enjoyable.

FFXII. Was a fan of the political story. Actually, I was a fan of the game in general. Sadly the side quests and hunts couldn't hold my interest as much as say, FF9 and FF7 in that dept.

Don't forget Final Fantasy 5. Was actually real fun too, had tons of classes

Don't forget Final Fantasy 5. Was actually real fun too, had tons of classes

Almost forgot. I guess since I played it so recently due to it not coming out back then I keep forgetting about it. Really set up the FFT class system.

Almost forgot. I guess since I played it so recently due to it not coming out back then I keep forgetting about it. Really set up the FFT class system.

Yeah that's the first thing I noticed about it, was the sheer amount of classes and how similar FFT was to it. One of the big reasons both are real fun

Edit: Forgot FF5! Just the class system itself was great. Other than that, similar to the SNES era and overall very good game.

I started with FFVII and still loved IX. By the time IX came out I had gone back and played some of the older ones.

FFXII bugged me. I hated the battle system. I liked the plot though, when it wasn't sidetracking to explain everything to Vaan and audience. Vaan should never have been part of that game. I've actually thought about retrying recently to see if I can appreciate it more.

I still have my FF7 PC copy hanging around. Haven't played it in years but I remember the MIDI BGM being kinda neat as it was slightly different from the PSX version. Only bummer was there was zero vocals (cuz its MIDI) during the One Winged Angel track.

FF7ediosPC.jpg

I would gladly chop off the latter part of the list for the former + Xenogears.

Started with FF1.....Old schooler Checking in. Played Final Fantasy 1 on NES and Phantasy Star on Sega Master System till my fingers bleed......Phantasy Star was significantly better though.

also I have played and passed every Final Fantasy....Except the strange ones. My ranking goes:

FF7 and FF6 Tie for first.....both too good to take second.
FFT
FF9
FF4
FFX
FF5
FF3
FF1 - remake
FFVIII
FF7 - Crisis Core -------Hate to score it this low because the story line was great.
FFXII
FF2
FFTA and FFTA2.....they are the same game pretty much.
FFX-2
FFXIII
FFXIIII - Come on we all know its going to be mindless follow the yellow emo brick road shit.

I have given up on Final Fantasy....Unless its a remake of when Squared used to make games. Atlus is our last JRPG developer left.

I started with FFVII and still loved IX. By the time IX came out I had gone back and played some of the older ones.

FFXII bugged me. I hated the battle system. I liked the plot though, when it wasn't sidetracking to explain everything to Vaan and audience. Vaan should never have been part of that game. I've actually thought about retrying recently to see if I can appreciate it more.

Agree, Vaan was just annoying. They should have just made Basch be the main character or even Ashe. Taking out Vaan and Penelo would have brought down the annoyance factor a lot. I thought they had a strong cast though and finally no more teen angst type storyline from FF7, FF8 and FFX.

Started with FF1.....Old schooler Checking in. Played Final Fantasy 1 on NES and Phantasy Star on Sega Master System till my fingers bleed......Phantasy Star was significantly better though.

also I have played and passed every Final Fantasy....Except the strange ones. My ranking goes:

FF7 and FF6 Tie for first.....both too good to take second.
FFT
FF9
FF4

FFX
FF5
FF3
FF1 - remake
FFVIII
FF7 - Crisis Core -------Hate to score it this low because the story line was great.
FFXII
FF2
FFTA and FFTA2.....they are the same game pretty much.
FFX-2
FFXIII
FFXIIII - Come on we all know its going to be mindless follow the yellow emo brick road shit.

I have given up on Final Fantasy....Unless its a remake of when Squared used to make games. Atlus is our last JRPG developer left.

I haven't played the NES versions but my list is similar to yours - for the main games. The bold would be the same order I have for top games!

I agree though. I haven't finished FFXIII as it got just too boring. I never played XIII-2. If I want my FF fix, I just fire up the PSX games or SNES games. Although it's tough for me to replay FF4 and FF6 from start to finish by now with the amount of times I played through the game. Recently played through FF9 again though - still an amazing game.

Not sure what happened over at Square...

Chrono Trigger :p
FF3
FF9
FF1
FF2
FF7
The others.

I'm not a big fan of 7; I didn't like many of the characters and it's the series that started the tradition of making the main character into a whiny-ass pussy.

Chrono Trigger :p
FF3
FF9
FF1
FF2
FF7
The others.

I'm not a big fan of 7; I didn't like many of the characters and it's the series that started the tradition of making the main character into a whiny-ass pussy.

in Crisis Core you get play Zack, the dude Cloud pretended to be, and he is nothing but bad ass from beginning to end.....even though I didn't like the gameplay. It also helps to show the growth of Cloud the Whiny ass pussy.

in Crisis Core you get play Zack, the dude Cloud pretended to be, and he is nothing but bad ass from beginning to end.....even though I didn't like the gameplay. It also helps to show the growth of Cloud the Whiny ass pussy.

I really enjoyed Crisis Core, just to get more of the FF7 story. The end was sad, but awesome.

I still have my FF7 PC copy hanging around. Haven't played it in years but I remember the MIDI BGM being kinda neat as it was slightly different from the PSX version. Only bummer was there was zero vocals (cuz its MIDI) during the One Winged Angel track.

FF7ediosPC.jpg

The MIDI pack that came with it was the best i've ever heard. It's what got me collecting MID files like mad.

Unfortunately, it didn't get ported to Win7 so my MIDIs are crap now.

FFX was fun, but I agree, the main character was kind of dumb. Wasn't it the first one of the series to introduce the idea of having your summons themselves fight? Really liked that concept

Tidus annoyed me so much that a few hours into it I went back and started a new game and ranamed him "Bitch". Was REALLY funny going through the game with everyone calling him bitch, at least until the end since despite what a bitch he was he didn't deserve what he got.

The only problem I had with 7 (and 8 for that matter) is once you figured out and gamed the materia system, the combat system was essentially no more.

FF7 = Sneak Attack + Knights of the Round + Mimic + as much +magic damage as you can cram on your gear, most fights end before you even get to pick to mimic, even sephiroth becomes a cut scene.
FF8 = keep 2 characters as low level as possible, run away as much as you can when forced to use them, get that +stats on level gear and give it to the main guy, then when that materia is maxed out go out to that crazy level up island, load up your low level characters with that +stat on level up gear and max them out, then max out haste and give them beserk and the rest of the game is effectively a cut scene.

Last edited:
Its now official.

http://finalfantasyviipc.com/en
https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_en/pc-windows-download/FINAL-FANTASY-VII.php

Exclusive to Square Enix Store.

The minimum system requirements are:
Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 (32/64-bit)
2GHz Processor or faster
1GB RAM
DirectX 9-compatible graphic card

No steam I think.

EDIT: additions:
Achievements
Whether you’re a seasoned FINAL FANTASY VII veteran or exploring this RPG classic for the very first time, show off your in-game accomplishments and put your gaming skills to the test with 36 brand new achievements to unlock. Share your profile with friends online to find out who is the ultimate FINAL FANTASY fan.

Character Booster
Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.

Cloud Saves
Whether you’re away from home or simply using a different computer to play, enjoy FINAL FANTASY VII wherever you are. With cloud save support in FINAL FANTASY VII you can continue your game progress right where you left off, all you need is an internet connection.

I wonder how the 320x240 video upscaled to 1080p is going to look.....

"Character booster" sounds kind of silly. I don't think there is a single difficult battle in FFVII in the main storyline... It was one of the easiest FFs even the end battle wasn't remotely difficult... If you are a less "seasoned" player you're more likely not to rush and level, which will make it even easier...if you skip because you find something difficult you will just find the next section harder and have to use it again...:confused:

Hardest part of 7 was never the main storyline, it was beating all the weapons.

Anyone know how FF7 deals with widescreen? I remember getting it running nicely on 4:3 but not sure about widescreen

Anyone know how FF7 deals with widescreen?

It.... doesn't?
Since they didn't update the graphics it's impossible to support widescreen due to the static 4:3 320x240 backgrounds. The game will be 4:3 or stretched on your display. The original PC version released only supports 640x480, max.

It.... doesn't?
Since they didn't update the graphics it's impossible to support widescreen due to the static 4:3 320x240 backgrounds. The game will be 4:3 or stretched on your display. The original PC version released only supports 640x480, max.

Oh I hope they have improved the backgrounds and vids a bit, or atleast given the originals some high quality scaler touches. They looked like ass on PC back then and they certainly do look now...

But yeah, no widescreen. Battle scenes could work though.

Last edited:
Hardest part of 7 was never the main storyline, it was beating all the weapons.

they were completely trivial if you knew what to do.

Emerald weapon is a joke in general and for Ruby weapon you can just cast Hades and he'll be paralyzed for a while, completely unable to do anything.

It.... doesn't?

There's a 3rd party OpenGL renderer you can download for the PC version, I ran it in a window and it worked fine. can't remember what it does for higher resolutions but they're all supported. It might just letterbox, can't remember.

Honestly I don't even care its on steam. But its a nice bonus. I would rather have a working copy on modern PC's.

they were completely trivial if you knew what to do.

Emerald weapon is a joke in general and for Ruby weapon you can just cast Hades and he'll be paralyzed for a while, completely unable to do anything.

That goes for most games in general. Hell, even dark souls and demon souls are pretty easy once you know the levels.

There's a 3rd party OpenGL renderer you can download for the PC version, I ran it in a window and it worked fine. can't remember what it does for higher resolutions but they're all supported. It might just letterbox, can't remember.

In game, it didn't do wide screen, it stretched it (in battle was formated correctly). But the backgrounds are still 320x240 blown up. I used it to play at 1280x1024 on a TNT2 Ultra.

But we are talking about this new release, which we really dont know if they did anything to the backgrounds. I couldn't find one gameplay photo on their site. But its known they didnt do much, but obviously they needed to do something to make it run on modern systems so....

i guess we play the waiting game...

I hope they at least cleaned up the in-game, non-pre-rendered graphics.

It.... doesn't?

Yeah I remember playing it a while back at higher resolutions with some graphics pack that made the static backgrounds higher res or something, it's all kind of a blur.

I played this on my PC in the late 90s.. played great on a voodoo3. Don't know why they need to re-release this game, you can grab a PC version of VII that works on W7 with modern hardware right now.

I played this on my PC in the late 90s.. played great on a voodoo3. Don't know why they need to re-release this game, you can grab a PC version of VII that works on W7 with modern hardware right now.

The PC version is pretty expensive when you do find it.

I would rather have a fully updated (graphically) version than a re-port. I would even pay full price if Square-Enix would do this..

People have been asking for over a decade now for this. Fucking Square , always doing EVERYTHING the hard way.

I would rather have a fully updated (graphically) version than a re-port. I would even pay full price if Square-Enix would do this..

People have been asking for over a decade now for this. Fucking Square , always doing EVERYTHING the hard way.

They have stated numerous times many different reasons why they won't do it. Namely it would be damn expensive since they would need to redo almost everything from the ground up and it would take an insane amount of time and money. It's not like it's some small shooter or corridor game. FFVII has a lot of content, many times more than FFXIII and they had to cut out a huge portion of that game to even get it made. The only way I would expect to ever see a remake in any reasonable amount of time in the future would be on like a cell phone or something like the Vita/3DS

Leave it how it is in my opinion. It's place in history isn't tarnished like it could be if it were to recieve some sort of "update"

Ten Achievements I'd Like to See in the Final Fantasy VII Re-Release

http://kotaku.com/5923560/ten-achievements-id-like-to-see-in-the-final-fantasy-vii-re+release

"Yesterday, Square Enix confirmed that it will re-release Final Fantasy VII on PC at some point in the near future.

"What's most interesting about this re-release is that it adds new features to the seminal role-playing game, like achievements. But Square hasn't shared any details on exactly what these achievements will comprise. So I'm offering a few suggestions. Free of charge. You're welcome, Square Enix.

"Here are ten achievements I think Final Fantasy VII should have.

"Why Would You Even Bother? She's Gonna Die In Like An Hour Anyway

"Get Aeris's ultimate Limit Break.

"Animal Cruelty

"Attack and capture harmless chocobos in the wild. Imprison them in a cramped stable. Force them to breed with one another. Throw out the ones that don't turn black or gold. Use them to make yourself more powerful. Whip them into shape on the race track.

"Stop Trying To Break Our Game

"Equip one character with the following materia: Mime, MP Absorb-Master Summon, Final Attack-Phoenix, MP Turbo-Knights of the Round, Slash All, Mega All, HP Plus. Equip your other two characters with Mime. Enter combat. Press the A button once.

"Nostalgia Overload

"Realize that Final Fantasy VII isn't as good as it was when you were 12. Deny this to the grave.

"Get A Lifestream

"Level all of your characters to 99. Master all Materia. Kill Emerald and Ruby Weapons. Brag about these accomplishments to all of your friends. Lose all of your friends.

"Physics? What Are Physics?

"Use Tifa in combat.

"Hey Foo

"Go on a date to watch fireworks with Barret. Have a lovely time. Give him your number. Wait a day. Wonder why he hasn't called yet. Wait another day. Stare at his Facebook. Hit refresh. Wait a third day. Cry. Eat Haagen-Daaz. De-friend him on Facebook.

"You're A Douche

"Re-name Aeris to Aerith.

"You Got Got

"Spend over 50 hours traveling the world of Final Fantasy VII in search for the fifth Huge Materia which you can then use to unlock a secret color of chocobo that will allow you to travel into Sephiroth's cocoon and find a key that opens the door to Sector 3 in Midgar, where you can revive Aeris for real guys seriously you read it on an AOL message board!

"Square Enix

"Convince a shopkeeper to pay you five times for the same item."

Back