Steam Hack Confirmed By Valve

I love Steam and I condemn these attacks on my beloved DD platform of choice. Time to change my password and remove my CC info from Steam. I haven't had a single problem with Steam since Gabe had the brilliant idea to implement it to improve my life immeasurably.

I can be assured that Valve takes this matter very seriously and will do far more than Sony or EA would to ensure the safety of their customer's information.

That's the response I was wait for. Way to toe the line.

If the hackers wanted to do something useful, they should have focused on Origin and removed the spyware and malware within it. Origin tracks everything you do on your PC, including the processes running in the background and maintains a list of all programs you install/uninstall on your PC. They then turn around and sell this information to third parties. It's in the EULA.

All Valve does is ask you if you'd like to participate in a hardware survey and you can opt out of it anytime.

If the hackers wanted to do something useful, they should have focused on Origin and removed the spyware and malware within it. Origin tracks everything you do on your PC, including the processes running in the background and maintains a list of all programs you install/uninstall on your PC. They then turn around and sell this information to third parties. It's in the EULA.

All Valve does is ask you if you'd like to participate in a hardware survey and you can opt out of it anytime.

So does Steam, son. So does steam, it's in the EULA that they're allowed to just as origin says ;).

I didn't get this email but I just changed my password. Is that good enough or should I yank the credit card and fire up the 90 day free credit watch thing again?

Yanking the CC info probably won't do a thing, if they already have it they already have it.

I am sure this is a cover story for the third party access they GRANTED your user information too...I think their terms even cover that.

You do know that you can disable it from auto starting.. right???

EA's ORIGIN however is a whole new can of worms.

According to their own EULA: " EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware."

In other words, with ORIGIN EA wants to gather information on what SOFTWARE you run and WHAT YOU ARE DOING on your computer.

This is yet another underhanded attempt by a gaming publishing behemoth not only to spy on its own customers, but also treat them as concentration camp inmates: apparently EA believes they can gather information without our knowledge, intrude our privacy and potentially make unilateral and dictatorial decisions regarding our property.

Besides the inevitable class-action suit, does anyone else find this behavior intrusive, abusive and insulting?

Besides the inevitable class-action suit, does anyone else find this behavior intrusive, abusive and insulting?

Wasn't there also a "you cannot form a class action lawsuit" clause in there somewhere too? (and not, I'm not joking)

OMG MAYBE GABE WILL GIVE ME THE REACH AROUND TOO I LOVE STEAM

Well unless Gabe dates someone from the NBA, I doubt anyone else has long enough arms to give Gabe a reach around. :D

(luv you Gabe...to deflect criticism pls release HL3 info and all will be forgiven!)

Wasn't there also a "you cannot form a class action lawsuit" clause in there somewhere too? (and not, I'm not joking)

Yes, there was, Sony put the same thing into their EULA as well after the PSN got hacked big time earlier this year.

Also

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/11/02/ea-denies-origin-spies-on-battlefield-3-pc/1

EA's Origin is required to play Battlefield 3 on PC and German gamers were provoked into outrage after images appeared online which indicated that Origin was accessing external programs and data synced from mobile phones.

Yup, exactly. P.S. LOL @ people saying "Origin's so flawed, steam rules!!!!!!"

Hackers won't bother with Origin for a long time because the return rate is small, i.e., fewer accounts to steal. It's the same story why there were few viruses on Macs for 20+ years.

I have 4 STEAM account and have not received this email yet.

Already changing my passwords.. Gheyyyyy

Yanking the CC info probably won't do a thing, if they already have it they already have it.

As it is, the information is gone. I just pretended I was buying a game for myself and lo and behold, there is no information sitting there waiting as per usual.

I don't know if that's a good sign or not, like Valve went ahead and cleaned everyone out or if it means something else.

God this sucks. I wish we could just kill hackers. Get medieval on their asses and pretend we're in a muslim country and start cutting shit off.

So if they did get info, how long would it take to crack the encryption, and would that need to be done for each CC # or just one for the whole database?

I would like to know why the fuck I know this information by coming to this site, as opposed to getting an email sent to me actually going through some effort to let me know that my information is compromised.... or "may be" fuckers

It would be nice to find the hackers have been "Left 4 Dead"!

I would like to know why the fuck I know this information by coming to this site, as opposed to getting an email sent to me actually going through some effort to let me know that my information is compromised.... or "may be" fuckers

Same, no email, no anything... hell not even a notice on their page! Valve Defense Force to the rescue though :rolleyes: !

So does this mean we should change our credit card info or does it matter anymore?

I never stored my CC with Steam or Origin. I use Paypal for all of my purchases.
I don't save my address or name either. Both programs don't automatically start up when I power on my PC.

I don't trust either service with my info. It's was only a matter of time for Steam to get hacked and the same goes for Origin. I laugh to see how people rank one over the other, when both companies only want your money.
If Steam didn't have seasonal sales, Steamworks titles or hand out free game coupon for me to buy second hand for cheap, I doubt I will ever have used them. The same goes for Origin with BF3.

Origin has your usage history, Steam hackers have your CC. There are people right now that have their livelyhood at risk because their checking account can be cleaned out.
It's not just about a single person and assume they got everything figured out. It's mainly about the people that can't protect themselves or not savvy about situations like this and that's usually the majority.
Who knows if they left a backdoor open to return to do some real damage.

Seriously, ffs. Keep the EA/Sony bullshit out of here. I am obviously not a happy camper that is happen but so far Valve seems to be very serious and meticulous. I for one at least have confidence that they will go as far as necessary to rectify the problem.

I for one at least have confidence that they will go as far as necessary to rectify the problem.

I have every confidence that Valve will rectify this situations swiftly and decisively. Gabe Newell will put down the cheeseburgers long enough to find the criminals who have perpetuated this criminal action.

Yea, but I bet they have your name and address. That's all they need to steal your identity.

Eh, they can't do that much with just your name and address, unless they want to sign you up for a bunch of magazine subscriptions. :p

Just logged into Steam for the first time today because of this.
Didn't see a popup, alert, email etc., nothing about this to immediately warn the customer when they log in.

Shame on them.

Hackers don't have to hack Origin to get your information, they can just buy it directly from EA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Origin

EA's Origin has recently come under criticism for deciding to share any and all available information they collect from your PC to third party vendors, as long as you agree to install their application.[25][26] The two specific sections of the EULA drawing criticism were sections 2 and 3.[25]

Section 2 was interpreted to grant EA the right to log data on application usage, IP addresses, operating system usage, installation and removal of software, and usage of software and peripheral hardware.[27]

Section 3 stated that using the software allowed them to monitor your activity: “EA reserves the right to monitor communications on the Application and disclose any information EA deems necessary to (i) ensure your compliance with this License; (ii) satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process; (iii) protect the rights, property and interests of EA, its employees or the public. EA also reserves the right to edit, refuse to transfer and/or to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part, in EA’s sole discretion.”[27]

On August 24 2011, EA revised its End User License Agreement, removing several of the controversial sections.[28] They released a statement saying that they had no intention to sell marketing data to third parties, nor install software akin to spyware on its customers PCs.[28] The specific changes to the EULA removed EA's right to transfer collected personally identifiable data to third party users.[28] However, Origin's EULA states that if there is a conflict with EA's Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall prevail. EA's Privacy Policy gives EA rights to share anonymous non personal information with third parties. [29]

EA has also received criticism for a clause within the company's privacy policy, stating that "By accepting these terms, you and EA expressly waive the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action.". [30] This clause has caused significant distress within the gaming community, with many fearing that the above clause is a pre-emtive attempt by EA to prevent legal action over the distribution of private information via its Origin platform.

Seriously, ffs. Keep the EA/Sony bullshit out of here. I am obviously not a happy camper that is happen but so far Valve seems to be very serious and meticulous. I for one at least have confidence that they will go as far as necessary to rectify the problem.

How does one "rectify" indentity theft? Valve ain't going to do shit for you. Just shut up be happy consumer and keep buying their games is all they want. Well, not me, I've had enough of this bullshit. That's twice in less than a year my ID has now been stolen.

I contacted D2D a few days ago about removing my CC# from their database and there is no way to do it without closing your account with them. Fucking idiots, and damn right I am going to close my D2D account.

This scares the shit out of me. I dont have a credit card so thats my check card that I use for Steam which goes straight to my bank account!

So if they did get info, how long would it take to crack the encryption, and would that need to be done for each CC # or just one for the whole database?

150 years. Seriously, they won't be cracking the encryption anytime soon. It's not CC# I am concerned about because I never stored it at Steam, it is my personal info in the hands of criminals that makes me very angry.

Eh, they can't do that much with just your name and address, unless they want to sign you up for a bunch of magazine subscriptions. :p

That's funny, I read just yesterday an article claiming they can destroy your life with just your name.

Back