Steam Hack Confirmed By Valve

HardOCP News

[H] News
It would seem that last week's attack on Valve's forums was a lot more serious than the company originally let on. I just got this e-mail from Valve:

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users,

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely. While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can. I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

-Gabe.

Well at least they let us know how far it went unlike Sony. Time to get to changing passwords!

Does "access to database" means they got the database? Meaning while yeah they don't have anything right now but given time they can crack it?

Does "access to database" means they got the database? Meaning while yeah they don't have anything right now but given time they can crack it?

Pretty much: This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information.

Sigh.. Sony came out about it, so did Valve.. one gets praised the other burned to the ground. Fanboyism at its best.

Sigh.. Sony came out about it, so did Valve.. one gets praised the other burned to the ground. Fanboyism at its best.

Sony compensated the people affected... Valve won't need to, Valve Defence Force™ has it covered.

One took 4-5 days to report the other 2-3 weeks so there is a bit of a difference but yea there is definately a bit of fanboysim going on here. I know that is shocking to find on these types of forums ;)

These fuckin hackers are getting out of control. Steam is a great service. These douchebags need to focus their time and energy elsewhere.

Hmmm
Step 1. Origin finally gets a user base by forcing BF3 players to use it
Step 2. Discredit competing digital distribution platforms using subterfuge
Step 3. Profit

Hmmm
Step 1. Origin finally gets a user base by forcing BF3 players to use it
Step 2. Discredit competing digital distribution platforms using subterfuge
Step 3. Profit

EA masterminded this hack, of course.

Everyone knows EA is a part of the Illuminati.

EA masterminded this hack, of course.

Everyone knows EA is a part of the Illuminati.

Rumor has it the next Assassin's Creed Game will be to take down EA.

While this sucks, I expect Valve to be a lot more transparent and upfront about this issue than Sony was. Time will tell.

WHAT THE F* THEY LET SOME M*F*'ERS HAVE MY PERSONAL INF...

(oh, it's Steam)

Oh, at least they did what they can about it, amirite?

Oh, and I can't even login to change my password, Page not found! error, how DELIGHTFUL! Considering how craptacular steam's consumer support has been to me in the past generally and others I always hear about, I'm not looking forward to getting things straightened out should they go south.

Sony only came forth about it days (or weeks? it's been so long I don't even remember) after it happened, and then it took them even longer to admit that it was entirely they're fault, etc. etc. And then it took them even longer to detail what was obtained by the hackers. And then, after all of that, they failed to plug the same hole and another batch of servers was hacked!

Now look at what we have here, only 3 days have passed, and we have a written apology from the CEO, with a moderately detailed list of what was obtained.

See the difference? I really hope you do.

Oh, and I can't even login to change my password, Page not found! error, how DELIGHTFUL! Considering how craptacular steam's consumer support has been to me in the past generally and others I always hear about, I'm not looking forward to getting things straightened out should they go south.

No, Steam support is EXCELLENT. Of course you've done something WRONG, they're trying to protect you! LOOK! They even warned you!

LOL. Next we'll see how it goes when someone here contact their AWESOME customer support when his personal info gets misused.

No... Sony waited forever to say anything. Valve acknowledged it as soon as they figured out the damage that was done. Big difference!

Sony only came forth about it days (or weeks? it's been so long I don't even remember) after it happened, and then it took them even longer to admit that it was entirely they're fault, etc. etc. And then it took them even longer to detail what was obtained by the hackers. And then, after all of that, they failed to plug the same hole and another batch of servers was hacked!

Now look at what we have here, only 3 days have passed, and we have a written apology from the CEO, with a moderately detailed list of what was obtained.

See the difference? I really hope you do.

I see the difference. But this is still the same exact thing. They both got hacked, I don't give a rats ass how long it took them to tell to the public. If this was a sony related topic we would be on page 10 by now.

No... Sony waited forever to say anything. Valve acknowledged it as soon as they figured out the damage that was done. Big difference!

No, they didn't say shit for the last several days and now spring this on us :rolleyes:. VALVE DEFENSE FORCE<<<<<< ACTIVATE!

But do you see any angry mobs with pitchforks and torches ready to burn Valve to the ground?

Exactly.

The difference is how this is --so far-- being handled, as opposed to the SONY hacking (cf. TheOneKnownAsMe's post further up). If this was dealt with in the same manner as SONY, I can assure you you would see the pitchforks.

I love Steam and I condemn these attacks on my beloved DD platform of choice. Time to change my password and remove my CC info from Steam. I haven't had a single problem with Steam since Gabe had the brilliant idea to implement it to improve my life immeasurably.

I can be assured that Valve takes this matter very seriously and will do far more than Sony or EA would to ensure the safety of their customer's information.

I love Steam and I condemn these attacks on my beloved DD platform of choice. Time to change my password and remove my CC info from Steam. I haven't had a single problem with Steam since Gabe had the brilliant idea to implement it to improve my life immeasurably.

I can be assured that Valve takes this matter very seriously and will do far more than Sony or EA would to ensure the safety of their customer's information.

Drinkin' the kool-aid! YEAHHHHH BABBBBYYYY!!!

Back