- Joined
- Sep 14, 2004
- Messages
- 2,726
Ain’t no way I’m owning a Meta device.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I am on the reserved list for the 256 version. I am not expecting a jump visually from my Reverb G2, but being able to run it off my main computer will allow me to play at higher or highest settings so I'll be happy. Tracking is my main point. Not expecting perfect but my current one is horrible at tracking lol. And not needing the cables will be a nice benefit. I have a lot I would like to play in VR and just haven't as a result of all that. I wanted the 1tb but at the higher cost for my primary use off my main computer, not worth it. Curious why the original price point would have been.
I will pay the reasonable premium for a "free" device not spending its entire time selling everything about me. Isn't Meta still taking a loss on the Quest's?
Nice, thought they were still taking a hit but even then curious what that hit would be with the offset of other data resale. R&D yeah, all wrapped up in their entire ecosystem. Makes me curious what real pricing will be for future devices in the market and if they will push for the hit to get them out there or expect users to pay a la Apple.They used to but I think they at least break even now, or maybe even make a little money. As long as you don't count their R&D cost which is billions per year, but you can't really separate that out from Quest and their other stuff.
Hmm, they would probably still blur it being silicone and pretty colors so color pass through I guess is the way lol.By getting the Frame instead of a Meta device you miss out on the free gaussian splat of your pp you can claim through an EU formal Data Subject Access Request (DSAR). But if you buy the color passthrough addon for your Frame you can DIY.
Congrats! Did you get the Ergonomic Upgrade pack as well? Is that what is sitting to the left or are those part of the default in-box items? Pretty wild that the Ergonomic kit apparently sold out of them by day 3 or 4, but I imagine more will be available soon; glad I didn't wait.
Congrats also! Yeah that was the rubber bits on the left. Glad I got them, they're nice on the controllers and nose cover, but the strap on the head should be a requirement. I have a friend who's accessory pack shipped separately and he had to wait two days till it arrived. Mine was shipped together. Hope yours did also.Congrats! Did you get the Ergonomic Upgrade pack as well? Is that what is sitting to the left or are those part of the default in-box items? Pretty wild that the Ergonomic kit apparently sold out of them by day 3 or 4, but I imagine more will be available soon; glad I didn't wait.
Got my tracking number so I expect it to show up in the coming week.
My experience varies depending on the HMD and its features; generally my vision isn't clear as far out as 3 meters anyway and most of my past has been wearing glasses with HMDs in general , though I was able to get my Index to seem relatively clear even without them in the past with a bit of tweaking. I expect some sort of prescription lenses will be optimal.have you never used a VR headset before? In VR headsets the focal distance is usually around 2 to 3 meters, so if you can see clearly at those distance then you don't need to wear glasses or get prescription lenses.
Same. 256gb here.1 TB reservation list day one, still no order email...
RanceJustice I’m going to go with Zenni. I looked last night and it’s a pretty big price difference between them and my previous supplier, VROptician.
Having used glasses and inserts I will 100% recommend getting inserts. Many years ago I ruined my first Index drunkenly using it with glasses on. Big and deep scratches right in the center of the Index lenses. Non repairable so I bought a new HMD. After that I taped my glasses to my face to prevent them from moving at all. It was a pain in the fucking ass. Then a year ago I got the inserts. Proceeded to kick own ass for not doing it sooner.
I ordered the cheapest case I could from amazon as I figured it would be temporary till more option came out. It's fine so far and came with a lens protector as well.Any suggestions for accessories, like a storage case, lens protector etc? I really wish Valve would offer official cases for their Steam hardware, notably the Controller (2.0 - the original controller did get an official case. I hope a case for the current version is built to allow charging with the Puck while inside the case) and the complete Frame kit. I've seen a handful of cases on Amazon that now mention the Frame, but they seem made originally for Meta Quest 3 / 3S and similar, so I'm unsure if they're going to fit properly especially with Ergonomic Accessories upgrades installed.
My experience varies depending on the HMD and its features; generally my vision isn't clear as far out as 3 meters anyway and most of my past has been wearing glasses with HMDs in general , though I was able to get my Index to seem relatively clear even without them in the past with a bit of tweaking. I expect some sort of prescription lenses will be optimal.
If it uses multiple lenses, you might be able to adjust their proximity to change the focal length, but you would also be changing the focus and how much of the display you can actually see. It would be a very involved process, to say the least.The focal distance is a fixed distance dictated by whatever lenses the manufacturer used. There is no tweaking or configuring that changes that. The Valve Index Focal distance is 2m. The Quest 3 is 1.5 or something like that. I don't think there is any measurement for the Steam Frame yet.
The only 'tweaking' that had to be done on the Valve Index to make it clearer was to adjust the straps until you got the lenses in the sweet spot. That was an issue for all Fresnel lenses. It still can be an issue for pancake lenses but they have a far larger sweet spot.
I would suggest you wait and try the Frame first.
If it uses multiple lenses, you might be able to adjust their proximity to change the focal length, but you would also be changing the focus and how much of the display you can actually see. It would be a very involved process, to say the least.
Well I wasn't aware of the exact technology they use. Was just saying, generally, if it used two lenses (in line, not one per eye), you could probably adjust the focal length (with the downsides I listed).Well, the Valve Index had two lenses. And don't all pancake lenses use multiple lenses? Of course you can't adjust the lenses in either case.![]()
Thanks, I was worried about one of these actually being able to fit the Frame + Ergo Accessories (particularly the Index style controller grips) as many seem to be made for for a Meta Quest 3 / 3 and just recently added Frame to their list. Having the controllers strapped to a board and sitting the middle I wasn't sure was going to work, but it seems like it will be fine.I ordered the cheapest case I could from amazon as I figured it would be temporary till more option came out. It's fine so far and came with a lens protector as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DGT4SQQ7
View attachment 829523
That's what I did with my Index, basically try to move it in close, dial in PD again, find the sweet spot which could be a little easier without worrying about glasses scratching the lenses, and see if I found myself squinting too much for it to work or not. It was one of those things that was often doable, especially for games without a massive ton of detail but still generally ended up keeping my glasses on and playing very cautiously. I hear the pancake lenses are a little easier, but I still will either need glasses on (thankfully with spacer maybe this makes it easier or just get prescription inserts, but i'll see.The focal distance is a fixed distance dictated by whatever lenses the manufacturer used. There is no tweaking or configuring that changes that. The Valve Index Focal distance is 2m. The Quest 3 is 1.5 or something like that. I don't think there is any measurement for the Steam Frame yet.
The only 'tweaking' that had to be done on the Valve Index to make it clearer was to adjust the straps until you got the lenses in the sweet spot. That was an issue for all Fresnel lenses. It still can be an issue for pancake lenses but they have a far larger sweet spot.
I would suggest you wait and try the Frame first.