Steam 2012 Christmas sale is here! runs from Dec 20- Jan 6

Just a quick note, I just noticed for those who bought Sleeping Dogs cheap a few days ago, don't forget to pickup the free DLC (hi-res texture pack & Ghost Pig Pack) on Steam. I know for me, the DLC was not automatically added when I downloaded the game.

Is FTL worth $5? I recall hearing about it, but can't remember if it was good or bad.
Was wondering the same thing. All the critic reviews are great and I've read a few things on this forum praising the game. I may pick it up as well...space simulations make me horny!

Was wondering the same thing. All the critic reviews are great and I've read a few things on this forum praising the game. I may pick it up as well...space simulations make me horny!

For some reason I think I read that you can't win in the game. Or that you eventually will die or something.

Is FTL worth $5? I recall hearing about it, but can't remember if it was good or bad.

For some reason I think I read that you can't win in the game. Or that you eventually will die or something.

TB sold me on it. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SnIhpCm5w

What's w/ the lame 10-50% off sales when in the past, they were more like 50-75% off? :confused:

Well I was going to get Lego LOTR but the deal where it was $7.49 is gone, I'll wait till its low again. I picked up CS:GO instead :)

FTL is a lot of fun... complex as you get into the deeper stages of the game, trying to balance the weapons or ship upgrades that will help you make it to the 8th stage... and then be able to defeat the boss... I've only made it to the second stage of the boss fight...

But I have the Engi ship and the Stealth ship... each plays completely different from each other and the Kestrel.

Money well spent for me, enjoy!
:D

i doubt i'll see FC3 on sale, or a bigger sale than 50% off xcom (amazon). i have enough crap in my backlogue. steam sale only got $10 from me. amazon got more this year (sleeping dogs, guild wars 2).

amazon has had better digital deals lately. i also bought mp3 from them a few weeks back on the cheap.

It's basically GTA set in the 1940s. The setting and dialogue are great, but some of the detective work gets boring after you finish homicide. Took me 34 hours to complete but I didn't do every side job.

Gameplay-wise it's not really like GTA at all. There's very little exploration, the entire game is pretty linear. I guess you could draw comparisons between the overall theme and feel, but that's it.

Gameplay-wise it's not really like GTA at all. There's very little exploration, the entire game is pretty linear. I guess you could draw comparisons between the overall theme and feel, but that's it.

Also, the car physics is the rough equivalent of having sex with a goat.

Or "unorthodox".

3DMark11 is 50% off ($10). Does this provide much more than the basic (free) version? I use the free version everytime I mess with settings, but will upgrade to the advanced edition if its worth it for at home use only.

Honestly I'd say it feels nothing like a GTA game in any sense. A better comparison would be Mafia or its sequel. There is technically an open world but there is no real reason to explore it and most of the game is entirely story focused. It's an interesting game, to say the least. It doesn't live up to all of it's promise but for the price I'd say anyone that's curious should give it a shot. Games like LA Noire don't come around often and even if it is somewhat disappointing it's still worth playing. Fair warning: It maxes out at 30FPS. This is due to the game's facial animation techniques. You can force it beyond 30FPS but it's kind of janky when you do.

Honestly I'd say it feels nothing like a GTA game in any sense. A better comparison would be Mafia or its sequel. There is technically an open world but there is no real reason to explore it and most of the game is entirely story focused.
Most people will jump into LA Noire and find a certain familiarity to the GTA games if they played them. I agree the exploration isn't really there, but the gameplay mechanics and design are very similar. I felt like I was playing a GTA game while driving, interacting with characters and doing missions. The only thing that made the game feel vastly different from GTA was the setting, story and better graphics.

The down side about these sales is that you see most of the same games every year.
A few sprinkles here and there of new titles, but most of the time we already own most of the games.

I find myself only waiting for one or two games to go on sale, and usually they don't for the price I'm willing to pay.

Just a quick note, I just noticed for those who bought Sleeping Dogs cheap a few days ago, don't forget to pickup the free DLC (hi-res texture pack & Ghost Pig Pack) on Steam. I know for me, the DLC was not automatically added when I downloaded the game.

how much was Sleeping Dogs a few days ago?...I was away for the holidays the past 10 days

oh you steam
Ebb0J.jpg

oh you steam
Ebb0J.jpg

This is how I am feeling about Steam as well....they are so stingy this year....Amazon & GMG has them beat like crazy in nearly every game....now I'm just like, why bother shop at Steam anymore? Amazon has the same exact product, it's cheaper & you activate it on Steam, and you get a $5 code to use for another game in January....even a 35 cent DLC qualified you for the $5 promo!! Honestly, I stopped shopping at Steam around mid 2012, because Amazon and GMG just has way better prices

Steam, stop being stuck in 2009 and think you're the only ones doing sales...step your game up and I might just come shopping back :eek:

Last edited:
Steam has Saints Row The Third (Full Package) for $7.49 right now. Cheaper than Amazon at the time being. Regarding the game, how is it? I've read about it and heard people talk about it, but never bothered to "look into it". Any thoughts on the game?

Amazon has the same exact product, it's cheaper & you activate it on Steam, and you get a $5 code to use for another game in January....even a 35 cent DLC qualified you for the $5 promo!!
The only thing that bothers me about these is they raise the prices on the games once the promotion starts and the selection is very limited. Saving $5 on a game that suddenly goes up $5 or more isn't really saving.

The only thing that bothers me about these is they raise the prices on the games once the promotion starts and the selection is very limited. Saving $5 on a game that suddenly goes up $5 or more isn't really saving.

You're not suppose to use your coupon right at midnight January 1st....Amazon will hold a sale sometime during the month of January, and thats when you apply the $5 coupon

Last year, many folks got free games such as GTA 4, Duke Nukem Forever, Witcher 1, Dead Space 1 & 2....sure they aren't the biggest and best titles....but can't complain for free....and I know Shogun 2 went for $2.50 after coupon....9 months after release and $2.50 for a game? Heck yeah!

This year I can see Hotline Miami going to be free after coupon...Walking Dead for probably $12.50, $7.50 AC.....And I'm sure BF3 Premium will go $30, $25 AC....Darkness 2 might go free AC....Max Payne 3 for $15, $10 AC....I mean I could keep going on and on....but what I'm trying to say is, Steam doesn't give any incentive to go shopping with them....Amazon and GMG give incentives to shop with them....Amazon in the form of coupons, and GMG in the form of cash back or store credit (only on certain titles)....Why pay more to Steam, when you can get the exact same product from Amazon or GMG, and get incentives while at it?

Got Skirim DLC and Ghost Recon Future Soldier this sale. Borderlands 2 from GMG for $21 was awesome. That's what I was looking to spend on that game. Still waiting for Dishonored to go around $20 then I'll be happy.

You're not suppose to use your coupon right at midnight January 1st....Amazon will hold a sale sometime during the month of January, and thats when you apply the $5 coupon
True, but the selection is still pretty limited. I agree it's a sweet offer, but they need to add more titles with prices below $20. I feel like I saved more money when the game has a deep discount applied.

how much was Sleeping Dogs a few days ago?...I was away for the holidays the past 10 days

It was the deal at GMG in this thread.

Which was $11.90 - $4 instant refund = $7.90 (or -$6 for instore credit = $5.90).

Haven't had much time, but pretty good game so far, and getting decent results on my laptop too!

Steam is disappointing this year. They had a few repeats this time around. Saints Row 3 was on sale as a "Today's Deal" for $7.49. Now it's a flash sale? Da fuq Steam

Steam is disappointing this year. They had a few repeats this time around. Saints Row 3 was on sale as a "Today's Deal" for $7.49. Now it's a flash sale? Da fuq Steam

All of yesterdays sale have been flash sales at some point.

All of yesterdays sale have been flash sales at some point.

That's why I'm holding out hope Mark of the Ninja pops up as a DD for $7.49.

Oh BTW....FTL is FTW. :D Played it for 2 hrs last night; absolutely love it.

That's why I'm holding out hope Mark of the Ninja pops up as a DD for $7.49.

Oh BTW....FTL is FTW. :D Played it for 2 hrs last night; absolutely love it.

In that case, I guess I'll get FTL, I've been considering it for a while.

Anybody have a giftable copy of Sim City 4 they would sell for $5? Missed that sale.

I caved and got FTL as well, haven't tried it yet but it looks awesome.

Just snagged XCOM from GMG as well, been wanting this and 17.50 was too tempting. :D

Back