Start folding the [H]ard way

giggity.jpg

I was happy to see the UPS man today

IMAG0160.jpg

WTB spotswood special MEB rack: :)

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

Heatsinks aren't here yet though. USPS let me down.

Thanks........

I just got home from work.... changed......

and now I need to change my shorts again........

So what are they? Are you going to keep us guessing?

Damn man! Another HardOCP team member with my dream folding machine. Congrats on what sweetass setup, and congrats again when the Interlagos 16 cores come out at some point! I can't wait to see your system go head to head against 10EEEE's.

I was happy to see the UPS man today

IMAG0160.jpg

WTB spotswood special MEB rack: :)

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

Heatsinks aren't here yet though. USPS let me down.

I can't wait to see your system go head to head against 10EEEE's.
Each of jebo's CPUs have 200MHz on 10e's 6168s. Times 48 cores, that's gonna translate into a massive advantage.

I'd also like to add: good on ya jebo! With the recent bigadv neutering, it seems a lot of folks are putting off new folding investments. Glad to see you ain't!

Please trace the standoff holes of that MB onto a sheet of paper and mail it to me. Please, oh, please!!!

Gimme a sec. I'll compare 3.0charlie's SWTX dimensions with my MEB board and see what I can find.

edit - Yeah, some pretty significant differences between the SWTX standard and my S4985. If you like, I can draft a diagram for you, but it won't be until tomorrow night unfortunately.

Last edited:
Gimme a sec. I'll compare 3.0charlie's SWTX dimensions with my MEB board and see what I can find.

edit - Yeah, some pretty significant differences between the SWTX standard and my S4985. If you like, I can draft a diagram for you, but it won't be until tomorrow night unfortunately.

No rush. Thanks.

Each of jebo's CPUs have 200MHz on 10e's 6168s. Times 48 cores, that's gonna translate into a massive advantage.

I'd also like to add: good on ya jebo! With the recent bigadv neutering, it seems a lot of folks are putting off new folding investments. Glad to see you ain't!

Dude, haven't you heard the latest? That's right I'm old news. Ha.

With the old points system it would translate to probably 80 - 100K PPD difference. Now? Not so much, but not sure how much difference any more....

Okay, well I can't post attachments and apparently can't link to the file either. Sheesh.
Anyway, go here, just change the exclamation marks to periods.

http://www!hardwarecanucks!com/forum/attachments/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/14018d1308947149-lets-go-team-swtx-form-factor.pdf

SWTX form factor courtesy 3.0charlie over at Hardware Canucks.

N00b!

Good on ya Jebo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just put the 4 in your name in the best way!

But you also have to factor in the "jebo Linux factor" - while not quite as big of a disadvantage as the "kendrak Linux factor", it can't be ignored... :)

The "kendrak Linux factor" is mitigating.

Nice one Musky, I have to say I lol-ed.

The mailman was my friend today. He brought the final pieces:

Am I the only one on the team that cleans off the TIM before shipping stuff :confused::D

While installing Linux, I think I had a chipset overheating problem. The installer made zero progress for a really long time. I added a fan right here and tried again and the install progressed normally. Has anybody else seen this?

But you also have to factor in the "jebo Linux factor" - while not quite as big of a disadvantage as the "kendrak Linux factor", it can't be ignored... :)

My problem is that I actually want Linux to do something productive. Apparently, Linux is best left to do nothing but folding in a closet somewhere. Linux hated the fact that I have 8 hard drives and 14 partitions. Linux also hated the fact that I wanted to run Windows in a VM. And despite the fact that they will tell everybody they should run Linux, when a novice like me runs into problems the Linux community is not very helpful. But don't get me started…..So, I moved all my hard drives to my SR2 and it will be handling file server and general productivity duties while running Windows, despite the near 50% PPD hit.

The 4P board though appears to be running quite happily dedicated to folding with one hard drive. I wouldn't mind moving it to a closet or something somewhere at some point. I do have one of Spotsood's benches on order.

So far I'm looking at about 450,000 PPD. I'm not sure if there are any more tweaks left to be done.

Big thanks go to:

Patriot for the CPUs
Pjkenned for a good deal on the heatsinks
Patriot and pjkenned for the leftover thermal paste (Patriot uses the cheap stuff. PJ uses too much)
Newegg for selling me a $900 mobo for $360
Musky for the Linux guide
My box fan for keeping an 85F office tolerable

It's good to see we still have people willing to make the investment in folding hardware. Who knows what the future might bring.

And thanks for the folding pr0n...:D. Maybe some day I might be blessed with such folding goodness.

looks good. whats the temps on those cpus?
aren't those fans noisy loud?
I don't know how to monitor the temps yet.

Those fans aren't quiet, but I'm used to fan noise by now. I would love to buy some of the noctua G34 coolers but they would be significantly more expensive than the investment I put into these.

I would like to relocate the rig to a quieter place connected by wifi. Once I figure out how to monitor the temps I might even move it to the garage, although subjecting the mobo in particular to 100F ambient might not be smart.

I would like to relocate the rig to a quieter place connected by wifi. Once I figure out how to monitor the temps I might even move it to the garage, although subjecting the mobo in particular to 100F ambient might not be smart.

I dont trust wifi for anything larger than SMP WU.

I dont trust wifi for anything larger than SMP WU.

Both folding1 and 2 are connected to my router via a wireless card and it works beautifully with bigadv. Since I am running them on Wireless G(i've been too lazy to setup the wireless N on the Netgear), I am shocked that they havn't had any problems yet based on what i've heard about other people.

Even a moderately bad 802.11g wifi signal is plenty fast to max out an internet connection.

Congrats jebo! Lookin' good!

I'm not sure if there are any more tweaks left to be done.
One thing you can do is log out of Xorg. You can reclaim a few cycles that way which could make a meaningful difference - after all, every second of TPF translates into pretty big PPD gains at that level. Of course, you're gonna have to learn to love Bash if you wanna do that.

Congrats jebo! Lookin' good!
thanks!
One thing you can do is log out of Xorg. You can reclaim a few cycles that way which could make a meaningful difference - after all, every second of TPF translates into pretty big PPD gains at that level. Of course, you're gonna have to learn to love Bash if you wanna do that.
I don't know what Xorg or Bash is, so I might have to do some research before I attempt to tackle that step.

Thanks for the suggestion

Back