Starship Commander VR Voice Controlled Experience

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I am not sure that I would call this a game, but almost more of an interactive VR movie. You use voice commands to shape the story, or at least that is what it seems from the video below. The Starship Commander by Human Interact page is here.

Introducing STARSHIP COMMANDER, an interactive VR narrative that allows you to speak your mind to characters in the story using next generation natural language processing.

Reminds me of some game that relied on Voice Commands.

s-l225.jpg

And the frustration of trying to make it work with voice commands. So much cursing.

Like all voice cmd things.
Me go left
Game self destruct activated
Most voice cmd stuff works ok with simple things but i doubt it's going to work well with engage enemy fighters type of stuff.

Anita Sarkeesian: Space Captain, the 4K VR experience. Defeat the Evil Patriarchy from planet Mansplain in stunning 4K VR.

Last edited:
I see they went in shooting to have production values approximately 4% better than Night Trap.

That's....interesting. Honestly it's probably pretty lame, but you gotta take those first baby steps. I try and remember that all this VR stuff that doesn't work all that well and is pretty clunky, are just baby steps towards something much better in the future.

Not meaning to derail the thread too badly... Check out the app Voice Attack.
http://voiceattack.com/

It's a voice recognition app that will allow complex macros for any app or game. It is shockingly good. There is a free and paid version. The free version is limited to one profile, but that's enough to get things working.

If you play Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen, you can also add these voice packs.
http://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/

It's fun as hell to have Tom Baker, William Shatner or any number of other actors reply as my ships computer.

It's fun as hell to have Tom Baker, William Shatner or any number of other actors reply as my ships computer.

Wow that is some painful Shatner dialog, could he sound any less engaged? I guess he had a house payment due and some free time to skype it in..

Using voice command to automate simple tasks is silly. You need a real AI that you could have handle complex interactions. If I want to put the landing gear up I can push the button myself. No need to have the game play itself for me.

Using voice command to automate simple tasks is silly. You need a real AI that you could have handle complex interactions. If I want to put the landing gear up I can push the button myself. No need to have the game play itself for me.

Not if you're playing in VR and can't see the dozens of buttons on your HOTAS, which is why I use Voice Attack in Elite.

(Personally, Norman Lovett and Brian Blessed are my favourite HCS voice packs)

There are plenty of commands that work really well in space sims. I already have enough buttons mapped to various buttons on my HOTAS set up, It's so much nicer to just tell the computer to target or fire missiles, navigate, etc. It also adds a lot to the immersion and gameplay IMHO. It's fun as hell.

Back