Starfield

I love this game warts and all. I'm not surprised. There is a lot to uncover in this and I've gone down a number of fascinating rabbit trails with certain sidequests and discoveries on planets. Radiant quests are easily avoided in this if you don't want to be bothered. I've had a number of unforgettable moments in this game including:
The Mantis is still paying huge dividends for me and I've had some classic responses out in space from friends and foes alike. This Crucible quest I uncovered on another planet is fascinating and disturbing. And so on...

I have yet to spend much time with outposts or anything past relatively modest ship upgrades. I haven't had to get big on ship upgrades thanks to a certain quest that has been mentioned several times in this thread already including my spoiler comment above.

I need to learn more about companion management.
I use them as sherpas lol.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I'm doing a Expanse rewatch while I play and I wish there was a little more grit in the game. Not that there isn't any in the game but everything could be more raw in style, story and environment. Space is dirty and dangerous. Maybe that's what they tried with that annoying color tint but it didn't work. I expect mods that mirror the Expanse, Cowboy Bebop, Firefly, Trigun, Aliens and such to come along eventually.

I really hate the damn resource storage/ encumbrance shit in this game. I spend more time trying to figure out what to do with all the stuff I collect than playing the missions.
I was as well. My ship has about 2k in storage. I keep important things like ship parts, commonly used research items like adhesives, and legendary items I might want to display later.
I only loot ammo and interesting or rare items. Everything else just slows you down. You can buy a lot of things you need in the various towns.

Progress the main mission. There is an ability you can get that will help with 02/c02. Even when I'm loaded down with stuff it isn't as big an issue anymore.
Or mods/console commands. Whatever works best for you.

I dont know about anyone else, but i swear to god im getting better framerate with the newest Nvidia driver. at 4k maxed out im getting around 43-55fps maxed out with FSR2 at 80%. I would easily dip in the mid 30's before. Makes me wonder if Rebar was an issue before these drivers.
They turned on REBAR by default, with the new update. So, if your card supports it and REBAR is active in your motherboard BIOS settings, it will now automatically apply to Starfield. Its not even the drivers themselves. They updated the Starfield profile (the update comes in automatically, as your Windows boots up). And if you have the previous driver or the new one, the Starfield profile works.

Before this, I manually activated REBAR with Nvidia Profile inspector and got a 9fps average boost in framerate for both 1080p and 1440p (4070 ti), in New Atlantis. I have a little corkscrew course I run, for testing framerates.

I really hate the damn resource storage/ encumbrance shit in this game. I spend more time trying to figure out what to do with all the stuff I collect than playing the missions.

That's one of the things I did in Skyrim. I think that would disable achievements in this game, though. While I normally don't care about achievements, having some record of progress is kind of nice. I'm on the fence. The encumbrance systems in these games have always sucked, but it feels especially egregious in this title because every enemy drops too much crap, and that crap is worth more than the other crap. It's hard to know exactly what you'll need later on, so here I am with my 2.1k cargo space Frontier, still constantly running out of room. I just start dumping stuff on the floor in the Frontier instead. But having to lug it back in the first place, with this annoying oxygen system, is tedious.

Talk to the bartender on Gagarin in the Alpha Centauri system.

Thanks! Just did this and reclaimed 1 inventory space lol.

That aside:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/168nxdt/stealth_is_objectively_bad_in_this_game/
I would say something about it, but this guy said it for me. Stealth just seems to suck in this. I invested 1 point into it to save scum pickpocket a bit easier, but I don't think I'll invest any more points into it. If they detect me instantly from 2 rooms down and across the building while I'm using a silenced gun, and know exactly where I am, what's the point?

I think as far as point investments, lockpicking and the tech tree in general seems to pay the highest dividends. I'm not sure when the combat tree is actually going to be relevant? I've taken down level 40 enemies at level 11 or 12 with no points into the combat tree at all. I don't really see the point? Is it just "win harder"? On the other hand, ship combat seems to be a lot harder. There was a Cydonia mission to blow up a certain ship, and the way you're supposed to do it is just board it and fight the people on board. I tried fighting it instead. It took a lot of reloads because it basically melted my shields and destroyed me in seconds. I had to pray for lucky crits. Speaking of lockpicking, the lockpicking system is kind of tedious to me, but whatever. Just reload till I get a quick lock.

I'm pretty used to stealth being sketchy at best in Bethesda games, but in this game they took it up a notch lol. I'm enjoying myself a bit more with this game. It feels sort of like No Man's Skyrim (but it's worse than NMS in some ways), and I don't care about the stealth too much. Although I think for a game with 10 years of development, it's hardly rocket science to have a working stealth system in 2023...

On the other hand...
Am I the only one that feels that this space combat is dogshit? I took on 2 level 20 Hyenas and a level 10 ship in a random encounter and had to basically hope that I drifted under a meteor while trying to blow one of them up, and even then I was basically repairing constantly. It took multiple reloads to win the fight. It doesn't feel like there's much counterplay. They have perfect aim and hit you from all sides while basically acting like near-stationary turrets. If you try to tail one of them, you lose lock on constantly (with the targeting system). You try to run away to kite, they suddenly speed up and get on your tail trivially. You lose cover, so it ends up being even worse. The only way to win seems to be to hope that while you're killing one of them, you drift into asteroid belt cover so the others just physically cannot shoot you. Because they know where you are and they're still shooting at you, but they just keep hitting the meteor. You can't just try to hide around cover without killing at any given time, either, because they kill too fast individually so you need to take down their numbers. Which is really hard to do when The "counterplay" is "I hope you have much higher stats than them". While I certainly didn't spec this ship out for combat, I feel like there should be some skill involved to allow me to consistently win, rather than this crap. I guess I need to take one of my ships and just redo it for combat... but having a combat ship with this inventory system means that I'm basically going to just "store" most of my goods on the floor of the ship. As in the entire thing is going to look a trash house. I guess that's what Bethesda wants, since only your "home" ship actually has inventory...

Edit: Also the default keybindings for space combat are probably the worst I've ever seen in a game...

Last edited:
player.modav carryweight 99999

then install this mod *if you are on Steam and give a shit about acheesements*

Yeahhhh.... Right before reading this post, I had JUST "folded" myself and went with 9999 on my toon.... It had to be done.

- And who cares about achievements??

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/16gxuse/starfield_doesnt_have_major_programming_faults/

TL;DR people need to stop trying to latch onto things blaming Bethesda for how the game runs on their mediocre computers.
I visited my brother yesterday to upgrade his ram to 32G. He is running an i7 6700, 32G of ram and a 2060 super and of course all SSD storage but it’s all sata drives even. —Game runs fine and I was actually surprised to see that in person considering all the talk.

And yes the game has its issues especially being as demanding as it is without cutting edge graphics or RT and so on —but it’s playable on a variety of setups.

Last edited:
At about 100 hours now. Still enjoying it.

However, I don't think this will ever be a Skyrim for me. I'm enjoying Starfield more than Fallout 4, but something about Skyrim just has me coming back. Might mostly be the soundtrack though TBH.

player.modav carryweight 99999

then install this mod *if you are on Steam and give a shit about acheesements*
Sounds like you can install it before modding your game to prevent your save files from being tagged as modded, so you don't need to install it afterward. People in the comments are saying it works on the Microsoft Store/Game Pass version.

However, I don't think this will ever be a Skyrim for me. I'm enjoying Starfield more than Fallout 4, but something about Skyrim just has me coming back. Might mostly be the soundtrack though TBH.

Agreed, 110%.

Also, speaking of Skyrim's OST - check this chick out (she actually ended up doing work for ESO after blowing up on YT):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNDT7EInclo

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I visited my brother yesterday to upgrade his ram to 32G. He is running an i7 6700, 32G of ram and a 2060 super and of course all SSD storage but it’s all sata drives even. —Game runs fine and I was actually surprised to see that in person considering all the talk.

And yes the game has its issues especially being as demanding as it is without cutting edge graphics or RT and so on —but it’s playable on a variety of setups.

I think on my 3080 Ti the settings were mostly on Ultra and with FSR on. The resolution scaling was only 75%. Still, game runs pretty smoothly. I only get below 60 FPS in some Atlantis areas (or oddly on the tutorial ship). Other than that it's usually around 70 FPS and sometimes higher. I might need to try out the other DLSS mod (the free version; don't care about frame gen because obviously my card doesn't support it), because Luke's was making my game crash. It also didn't feel as good as FSR for smoothness.

I guess the people complaining mostly decide to turn off FSR. Which I kind of understand. If you're running a 4090, having to use upscaling solutions like FSR or DLSS kind of sucks, because you paid $1600 to have great performance, not to have to resort to upscaling. And there's really not much in this game that makes it seem like it really needs it, either. It gets CPU bottlenecked easily apparently, but with very little reason as to why. My 7800X3D is mostly at 20-30% utilization on each core, last I checked...

I'm pretty used to stealth being sketchy at best in Bethesda games, but in this game they took it up a notch lol. I'm enjoying myself a bit more with this game. It feels sort of like No Man's Skyrim (but it's worse than NMS in some ways), and I don't care about the stealth too much. Although I think for a game with 10 years of development, it's hardly rocket science to have a working stealth system in 2023...

On the other hand...
Am I the only one that feels that this space combat is dogshit? I took on 2 level 20 Hyenas and a level 10 ship in a random encounter and had to basically hope that I drifted under a meteor while trying to blow one of them up, and even then I was basically repairing constantly. It took multiple reloads to win the fight. It doesn't feel like there's much counterplay. They have perfect aim and hit you from all sides while basically acting like near-stationary turrets. If you try to tail one of them, you lose lock on constantly (with the targeting system). You try to run away to kite, they suddenly speed up and get on your tail trivially. You lose cover, so it ends up being even worse. The only way to win seems to be to hope that while you're killing one of them, you drift into asteroid belt cover so the others just physically cannot shoot you. Because they know where you are and they're still shooting at you, but they just keep hitting the meteor. You can't just try to hide around cover without killing at any given time, either, because they kill too fast individually so you need to take down their numbers. Which is really hard to do when The "counterplay" is "I hope you have much higher stats than them". While I certainly didn't spec this ship out for combat, I feel like there should be some skill involved to allow me to consistently win, rather than this crap. I guess I need to take one of my ships and just redo it for combat... but having a combat ship with this inventory system means that I'm basically going to just "store" most of my goods on the floor of the ship. As in the entire thing is going to look a trash house. I guess that's what Bethesda wants, since only your "home" ship actually has inventory...

Edit: Also the default keybindings for space combat are probably the worst I've ever seen in a game...
Skill plays a part but a cargo or research vessel shouldn't really compete with a pirate or warship. Sounds like you need a new ship.
There are ships the have better cargo and can fight, just need to find or build them.
Star Eagle is a ship you get from the Free Star Rangers quest line. Mine has around 2k storage and does just fine in combat. The only tense moments have been going up against a couple level 35s and I think a 20.
Also I have not invested in ship skills yet. But I do have people assigned to my ship that made a noticeable difference in performance.

Sum bich. I want to play Starfield but I don't want to buy a new video card 😂

2070 Super & Acer Predator x34

Last edited:
It took me too long to figure out you could add duplicates of the same guns so I just decked the Kepler R with as many of the most expensive guns I could fit on it.
I can finally reach the farthest systems and actually blow stuff up. The ship's pretty ugly though.

Sum bich. I want to play Starfield but I don't want to buy a new video card 😂

2070 Super & Acer Predator x34
I'm playing on a 2080 (regular) at 2k (2560x1440) at mostly ultra / high settings and get playable frame rates. Not sure of numbers, because it hasn't caused me issues to look into them.

This is on a 12th gen i5 with a Gen 4 nVME drive and 32Gb RAM.

On all Medium, it basically looks like FO4 in space.... Which is ok by me.

Indoors/planetary outdoors, mine stays at a capped 60. In space, it bounces around the high 40s-low 50's. New Atlantis on the other hand, I avg 35ish and actually saw it hit 30 at one weird spot lol (THANK GOD for Gsync!! And that this game actually works with the Gsync windowed mode, which is RARE these days)

- I did end up bumping my FSR2 from 67% to 75% and that made a noteworthy difference in image quality

That's using my sig rig @ 1080p.... I dunno what your Acer monitor's resolution is but I'm pretty sure you'd be fine with a 2070 Super ;)

EDIT: 3440x1440 eh? Hmmmm.... Yeah, I reckon you'd be fine at Medium to High with FSR2 @ 67% or perhaps 75%

** Be sure to check out Digital Foundry's Settings video, one of the cards they used for testing is your 2070 Super **

Last edited:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1716740/announcements/detail/3687940304703443231

Starfield Updates and Mod Support – September 13, 2023

First, an enormous thank you to all of you playing Starfield and your support. We are absolutely blown away by the response and all you love about the game. We’re also reading all your great feedback on what you’d like to see improved or added to the game. This is a game we’ll be supporting for years and years to come, so please keep all the feedback coming! Even if we don’t get to your requests immediately, we’d love to do it in the future, like city maps. Our priority initially is making sure any top blocker bugs or stability issues are addressed, and adding quality-of-life features that many are asking for.

This first update is a small hotfix targeted at the few top issues were are seeing. After that, expect a regular interval of updates that have top community requested features including:
  • Brightness and Contrast controls
  • HDR Calibration Menu
  • FOV Slider
  • Nvidia DLSS Support (PC)
  • 32:9 Ultrawide Monitor Support (PC)
  • Eat button for food!
We’re also working closely with Nvidia, AMD, and Intel on driver support, and each update will include new stability and performance improvements.

Additionally, we are working on our built-in mod support (Creations) that will work across all platforms similar to what we’ve done with Skyrim and Fallout 4. This full support is planned to launch early next year. Until then, we know our PC community is already very active in the modding space and if you have any feedback on how we can make this better, please let us know . Modding and creating in our games will always be a vital and important part of who we are, and we love seeing the community get off to such a strong start.

Keep the feedback coming, we really do read it all, and thank you all again for taking this journey with us!

Bethesda Game Studios
---
Update Version 1.7.29 - Fixes and Improvements
Performance and Stability
  • Xbox Series X|S
    Improved stability related to installations.
  • Various stability and performance improvements to reduce crashes and improve framerate.
Quests
  • All That Money Can Buy: Fixed an issue where player activity could result in a quest blocker.
  • Into the Unknown: Fixed an issue that could prevent the quest from appearing after the game is completed.
  • Shadows in Neon: Fixed an issue where player activity could result in a quest blocker.

WTH they added DLSS support!!...and an FOV slider!...I guess all the criticism they were receiving from everyone for only having FSR caused them to add DLSS...with Jedi: Survivor and now Starfield getting DLSS, I'm guessing that going forward all AMD sponsored games will have both FSR and DLSS at launch (or close to launch)

makes my decision to hold off playing this game the right one...in 2-3 months the game will be in much better shape with DLSS, FOV slider, driver updates, performance improvements etc...rarely does it make sense to play games on Day 1 anymore

plus Starfield is a huge time sink and there are games coming out in the next few weeks which I'd rather play first- Phantom Liberty expansion, Lies of P, Lords of the Fallen, Alan Wake 2 etc

makes my decision to hold off playing this game the right one...in 2-3 months the game will be in much better shape with DLSS, FOV slider, driver updates, performance improvements etc...rarely does it make sense to play games on Day 1 anymore

plus Starfield is a huge time sink and there are games coming out in the next few weeks which I'd rather play first- Phantom Liberty expansion, Lies of P, Lords of the Fallen, Alan Wake 2 etc
Well if you're going to wait, you might as well wait until early next year when the dev tools release.
Then I guess wait for all the DLC to come out.

It's a Bethesda game, it's going to be improving constantly for the next 10 years.

Well if you're going to wait, you might as well wait until early next year when the dev tools release.
Then I guess wait for all the DLC to come out.

It's a Bethesda game, it's going to be improving constantly for the next 10 years.

some things are worth waiting for more than others...quality of life and performance improvements are not minor things...DLSS and an FOV slider are major features...not the same as DLC or mod tools...too many people are so impatient nowadays and have this obsession with playing every game on Day 1

there is nothing wrong with waiting (even for highly anticipated games)...I waited 2 years and 9 months to play Cyberpunk 2077 for the first time and that was one of my most anticipated games

I think Starfield is going to have a very long life like Skyrim and FO4 before it has had. The possibilities are just endless. A modder or team of modders can take one of the many planets this game offers to access and make an entire game of storylines and quests on just that one planet alone. That really is mind blowing to me.

I think Starfield is going to have a very long life like Skyrim and FO4 before it has had. The possibilities are just endless. A modder or team of modders can take one of the many planets this game offers to access and make an entire game of storylines and quests on just that one planet alone. That really is mind blowing to me.
Build a stargate and skyrim or fallout is on the otherside

some things are worth waiting for more than others...quality of life and performance improvements are not minor things...DLSS and an FOV slider are major features...not the same as DLC or mod tools...too many people are so impatient nowadays and have this obsession with playing every game on Day 1

there is nothing wrong with waiting (even for highly anticipated games)...I waited 2 years and 9 months to play Cyberpunk 2077 for the first time and that was one of my most anticipated games
Yeah normally I would too but since I just did the gamepass deal I figure why not give it a go. You would be fine playing it with your specs, I'm on older (same gpu tho) and it's fine 1440p @ native.

Back