Starfield

Preorders notwithstanding: Does anyone really think that 5 days is going to make any difference coming or going in regards to being a beta tester? This is a Bethesda game. C'mon. ;)

Preorders notwithstanding: Does anyone really think that 5 days is going to make any difference coming or going in regards to being a beta tester? This is a Bethesda game. C'mon. ;)
I suspect that this game, with regards to the launch of Fallout 4 and Skyrim before that, will be the smoothest and least buggy.

Bethesda, it seems to me, is evolving and learning, and unlike BioWare or Arkane has managed to hold onto its talent.

I just think this game has massive potential to be something really special and I refuse to jump on the hate wagon.

I just can’t envision myself not playing this the very second it releases. I’ve been waiting on this game for years.

I suspect that this game, with regards to the launch of Fallout 4 and Skyrim before that, will be the smoothest and least buggy.

Bethesda, it seems to me, is evolving and learning, and unlike BioWare or Arkane has managed to hold onto its talent.

I just think this game has massive potential to be something really special and I refuse to jump on the hate wagon.
Apparently Xbox/MS has been helping with QA. Probably even more than that considering how huge and important this game is to them.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/every-xbox-qa-staff-working-on-starfield
https://www.techradar.com/news/xbox...tarfield-has-fewest-bugs-of-any-bethesda-game
https://www.gamesradar.com/starfiel...e-before-xbox-told-bethesda-to-take-its-time/

In a recent interview with Giant Bomb, the head of Xbox Games Studios explained: "I see bug counts and just by the numbers if it shipped today, Starfield would already have the fewest bugs of any Bethesda game ever shipped”

"Truth be told, when the acquisition closed this game had a significantly earlier ship date than where we're actually launching in," Spencer stated, clarifying that he was referring to the November 2022 release date. Spencer added that he then "sat down with Todd and the team," and explained that they wanted to give this team "the time" to finish Starfield.

Last edited:

I just can’t envision myself not playing this the very second it releases. I’ve been waiting on this game for years.
The hate wagon is a lot of hot air. Everyone is going to be playing this no matter what - who we kidding? Not because it'll necessarily be next-gen-groundbreaking milestone in videogaming, but a juggernaut with mass appeal (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, GTA etc).

Waiting for reviews is cool, but where exactly the averaged score falls between 7 and 10 isn't going to change inertia. And It sickens me to have to admit all of this, but in the interest of transparency you see.

Last edited:
I'll be trying it simply because it is included with Game Pass.
Good way to go, my concern with going GP was moddability. There was a time anything from Windows Store was containerized UWP/app jank with the underlying game files inaccessible to the user. I know MS was forced to back off from the draconian shit in recent years mostly due to lack of adoption, but I wouldn't be surprised if official modding requires free and clear standalone game files.

Yeah I figured they would have at least something like the Nomad from ME.

I assume there might be some basic interaction in the ships? Maybe a few crew members that are characters? I don't expect Mass Effect, but I assume you aren't a 1 man crew. But maybe we are.

Everyone is going to be playing this no matter what - who we kidding?

Playstation gamers will certainly be playing this game a lot. :eek:

I assume there might be some basic interaction in the ships? Maybe a few crew members that are characters? I don't expect Mass Effect, but I assume you aren't a 1 man crew. But maybe we are.

Playstation gamers will certainly be playing this game a lot. :eek:
Yeah in the Direct video they were talking about your "crew" and "crew quarters" as in there might be a few companions, sort of like The Outer Worlds.

I'm just glad they have human companions and not just that janky robot they keep showing.
But then again, I'm a Lone Wolf McQuade and hate having a companion unless they don't take my XP and have something more to offer than just being my mule.

The environments look like small sandbox levels similar to Metro Exodus (hopefully I'm wrong) but if that is the case, a skiff or land vehicle won't be required.

I hope it is just for download and one time activation. But games typically don't list that in the specs if that is the case. Seems like there might be some always online component. Hopefully just odd wording.
I was joking around. There's no multiplayer :p.

Who's doing the QA for the pc version....

O wait, it's us when we buy it at launch...

Unofficial mod patches
jyvvh4merf6b1.jpg

Attachments

• Defcon.png
    Defcon.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 0
I hope this turns out to be good, great even, but I just can’t help but think my best experiences with Bethesda titles are behind me. FO4 was the biggest letdown of my gaming career. Skyrim and FO3 were the peaks.

So… I’m a little confused… are we supposed to start shouting ‘downgrade’ or something… because I actually think the 2023 version looks quite a bit better than the 2022 version.

It appears to be an upgrade?

(Oh, damn…. I told myself I wouldn’t look at any footage before release.)

So… I’m a little confused… are we supposed to start shouting ‘downgrade’ or something… because I actually think the 2023 version looks quite a bit better than the 2022 version.

It appears to be an upgrade?

(Oh, damn…. I told myself I wouldn’t look at any footage before release.)
I recommend ignoring click bait on this game bc there is a lot of it, and just watch the video without taking a point of view

Last edited:
So… I’m a little confused… are we supposed to start shouting ‘downgrade’ or something
That seem a bit cynical ;) ? who implied anything or the sort (the video is only music over it and was posted with no comment)

It was always the job of the modders to make your waifus look good in bethesda games. Yeah, I said the quiet part out loud.

The problem is the facial animation technology is just crap. Even if you make better 3D models and textures it will still look bad. The camera angle is also annoying and ugly although with the amount of conversations and dialogue options it may be hard to get nice camera work. But Mass Effect 2/3 had excellent cinematics that made the conversations feel more alive just through the camera angles during conversations. Bethesda games look flat. Add in ugly character animation technology and it looks bad compared to other games. Better than their previous games but still dated.

Although I almost think half the player base enjoys bad animation technology, just like they prefer NPCs talking to someone without the ability to communicate back.

The problem is the facial animation technology is just crap. Even if you make better 3D models and textures it will still look bad. The camera angle is also annoying and ugly although with the amount of conversations and dialogue options it may be hard to get nice camera work. But Mass Effect 2/3 had excellent cinematics that made the conversations feel more alive just through the camera angles during conversations. Bethesda games look flat. Add in ugly character animation technology and it looks bad compared to other games. Better than their previous games but still dated.
Can't argue with that.
Although I almost think half the player base enjoys bad animation technology, just like they prefer NPCs talking to someone without the ability to communicate back.
I think it's that we don't expect anything better from a Bethesda open world game. We don't like it, but we have to go along with it. :D

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Can't argue with that.

I think it's that we don't expect anything better from a Bethesda open world game. :D

That is true. They just can't seem to shake the whole look and feel of the conversations. But maybe it is intentional. Well I hope the dialogue options actually branch out more this time since they opted out of voice acting the character and changing up how the conversations look.

But even if they found a middle ground and made main story quests have better camera angles and animations, and all side conversations look typical Bethesda that would have been a big step up. But really what we're all wanting to see them improve on is not being bug ridden day 1-150.

That seem a bit cynical ;) ? who implied anything or the sort (the video is only music over it and was posted with no comment)
I’ll try to explain

So, because I’ve hung out at a lot of forums over the years I’ve seen thread after thread… after thread… in which the OP posts a video in which a certain game’s promo material is compared with the actual release material.

I could even put a name to these threads by calling them ‘downgrade threads’.

Typically, in a downgrade thread, the community will dogpile on the developer in question, often ruthlessly. Typically, a few people will actually attempt to defend the game and the developer - and typically these people will suffer greatly for it.

Two such notorious threads were posted for the original Watch Dogs and also for The Witcher 3 - but, honestly, I’ve seen literally dozens of downgrade threads over the years.

So I don’t really think I’m being cynical here to wonder if that comparison video is meant to demonstrate a downgrade. It seems to me like it’s actually an upgrade?

It seems to me like it’s actually an upgrade?
In some aspect like shadow and "ambient occlusion" quality it seem quite the upgrade to me as well, material work are more subject to subjective taste but also an upgrade in many ways.

Last edited:
Back