Starfield

I know everyone likes to say Fallout or Elder Scrolls in space...but that's exactly what this looks like...not that it's a bad thing...all of the recent Fallout and Elder Scrolls games were enjoyable (I haven't played Fallout 76)...same with Ubisoft...all the Far Cry and Assassin's Creed games are basically reskins in a new setting with some new features but they're basically the same game...as long as you don't play every new version they are fun...they are never going to be GOTY material but they are fun in a gamey way

I don't think Bethesda games are like Ubisoft. Most locations in Fallout games at least have some generally good quest lines. The stories are more involved as well. Both make large, open worlds, but Bethesda has some actual exploration. Most locations have a lot going on and actually have a purpose. Quest design is quite varied. They are one of the few studios to do open world right. Ubisoft is the polar opposite. You typically get a lot of quests that are meaningless, lots of grinding, lots of repeating and similar quests, locations that you go to once for a quick minute and then never return to.

Most games would be better off without an open world, but Bethesda games absolutely require it.

I refuse to watch any promo material for this game. These Bethesda RPGs usually enthral me for upwards of 3 months, but a huge part of the excitement comes just from seeing stuff for the first time. I feel like I’ve spoiled myself in the past by watching too much gameplay footage?

Also, it seems like forever since Bethesda released one of its single player open world RPGs - was it actually Fallout 4 in 2015?

It’s been 8 years? Holy god.

There are some hints to what's in Starfield in this interview.

This interview is fantastic... long but worth it. It randomly came on YT a morning week before last and I listened to the whole thing. Both Lex and Todd Howard are great!

I refuse to watch any promo material for this game. These Bethesda RPGs usually enthral me for upwards of 3 months, but a huge part of the excitement comes just from seeing stuff for the first time. I feel like I’ve spoiled myself in the past by watching too much gameplay footage?

Also, it seems like forever since Bethesda released one of its single player open world RPGs - was it actually Fallout 4 in 2015?

It’s been 8 years? Holy god.
Smart move the showcase has tons of spoilers tbh.

I don't think Bethesda games are like Ubisoft. Most locations in Fallout games at least have some generally good quest lines. The stories are more involved as well. Both make large, open worlds, but Bethesda has some actual exploration. Most locations have a lot going on and actually have a purpose. Quest design is quite varied. They are one of the few studios to do open world right. Ubisoft is the polar opposite. You typically get a lot of quests that are meaningless, lots of grinding, lots of repeating and similar quests, locations that you go to once for a quick minute and then never return to

I think Bethesda is not compared to Ubisoft mainly because they don't release their big franchise games every year...it's been 12 years since Skyrim and 8 years since Fallout 4...if they released them annually like Assassin's Creed or Far Cry then they would get more criticism...the long wait gets fans anticipating their next game versus something like Far Cry 7 where people are tired of it

I think Bethesda is not compared to Ubisoft mainly because they don't release their big franchise games every year...it's been 12 years since Skyrim and 8 years since Fallout 4...if they released them annually like Assassin's Creed or Far Cry then they would get more criticism...the long wait gets fans anticipating their next game versus something like Far Cry 7 where people are tired of it
I don’t care what people say about Bethesda - for me these single-player open-world RPGs from Bethesda are very special.

Smart move the showcase has tons of spoilers tbh.
I haven't seen anything about this game really except for the bits in the Todd Howard interview with Lex.. the timing is good on the release date as I will likely be ready for something new and good..

I was expecting a bigger leap in visual fidelity with the new engine...it definitely looks better than the old Creation engine but it also has that filmic grainy look to it as well...
There is no new engine - it's all Gamebryo at it's core. Sure it's heavily modified and updated, and they re-named it 'Creation', but it's still the same old gamebryo which they've been using for decades.
This is not necessarily a bad thing, as this means by day one there'll be dozens of mods available, and by the first month in there'll be thousands.

FYI GreenManGaming has the standard and premium preorder versions for 20% off, you may need to log in to see the discount.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPI
like this
FYI GreenManGaming has the standard and preorder versions for 20% off, you may need to log in to see the discount.

In for Premium edition. It's important to give the developer that early vote of confidence by investing in the game early, not to mention the story expansion DLC included in Premium that they haven't started work on. The icing on the cake is being able to play 5 days earlier than losers that don't have 5 days early access.

1686544319007.png

Last edited:
In for Premium edition. It's important to express to the developer that extra vote of confidence by investing in the game early, including in Premium edition's case the story expansion DLC they haven't even started on. Being able to play 5 days earlier than losers that don't have 5 days earlier access also doesn't suck.

View attachment 576187

:ROFLMAO:

It's definitely improved since the first gameplay reveal last year. A few standout testimonies from enthusiastic employees:

"What takes your breath away is the moment you realize this isn't just a Bethesda Game Studios World. It's a Bethesda Game Studios Galaxy".

"The Scissoring Trait is my favorite. It opens genderless dialog and romance options and lesbian-like haircuts, which, really cool."

"Starfield will be so loved, so needed by the American people just in terms of sheer gluttony of stimuli, that Todd Howard could be caught with a minor in a parked car and still be in studio the next morning. He's basically untouchable."

And finally Todd Howard:

"Sure, we could take forever and ship a airquote 'bug-free', outdated game, or - and stay with me on this - we could fill our pockets with rocks and walk straight into the sea."

Last edited:
It's definitely improved since the first gameplay reveal last year. A few of the standout comments from the parade of chipper employees:

"Starfield will be so beloved, so powerful just in terms of pageantry and sheer gluttony of stimuli, that Todd Howard could be caught with a minor in a parked car and still be in-studio the next morning. The police wouldn't arrest him."

What an odd/perverse thing to say....

That's messed up man and not funny at all, to anyone. Ever.

Regardless of the end result....looks like they achieved more in 5 years (using 2018 as that's when they announced the project/game) then Chris Roberts has in a decade with Star Citizen.
Star Citizen has been in development for a decade? Ugh. That’s… weird?

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
If I get No Man's Skyrim Fallout with a billion dollar budget ;) I will be a happy camper.

Star Citizen: The ultimate boondoggle. No excuses.

I don't think Bethesda games are like Ubisoft. Most locations in Fallout games at least have some generally good quest lines. The stories are more involved as well. Both make large, open worlds, but Bethesda has some actual exploration. Most locations have a lot going on and actually have a purpose. Quest design is quite varied. They are one of the few studios to do open world right. Ubisoft is the polar opposite. You typically get a lot of quests that are meaningless, lots of grinding, lots of repeating and similar quests, locations that you go to once for a quick minute and then never return to.

Most games would be better off without an open world, but Bethesda games absolutely require it.
My complaints about Bethesda is more that their game engines are held together with duct tape and chewing gum.

In for Premium edition. It's important to give the developer that vote of confidence by investing in the game early, not to mention in the story expansion DLC in Premium edition that they haven't yet started work on. The icing on the cake is being able to play 5 days earlier than losers that don't have 5 days early access.

View attachment 576187
Are you serious god I hope not

I'll be pre-ordering the Premium as well, but not before reviews are in.
This is a massive game and Bethesda doesn't have a good track record with QA.

Regardless of the end result....looks like they achieved more in 5 years (using 2018 as that's when they announced the project/game) then Chris Roberts has in a decade with Star Citizen.

Star Citizen has much more detailed ships and combat. This is more based around running around on foot. That being said even if Star Citizen is centered more around space flight/combat, it still shouldn't take as long as it is. It does have the whole multiplayer and server aspect to work out as well which is no small feat, but it still looks like quite a mess after all this time with no end in sight.

My complaints about Bethesda is more that their game engines are held together with duct tape and chewing gum.

And this engine doesn't look to be that great graphically. The problem is it will likely be buggy. Maybe it will be better than FO4 (which was better than 3/NV), but in the age of horrible PC ports I expect launch of this to be bad.

I will say it again: Hello Games should be getting a royalty cut.

I see enough here that it would have to be a complete disaster for me to avoid it and I'm saying that as someone that's been down on Bethesda for a while. This isn't Fallout 76 in space. Some of it is potentially impressive. They will have to try hard to screw that up.

Starfield looks like a AAA version of No Man's Sky with better exploration and quests...No Mans Sky was a big game with a ton of planets but it felt empty (at least the initial release)...I'm wondering what the central story/main quest of Starfield is

NMS feels pointless to play unless you enjoy gathering resources and building things for the sake of building things. No real story or interactions with NPCs. Hopefully in that regard Starfield will differ significantly from NMS.

I might pay for the EA. That month is going to be super busy for me, both work and play. I could wait I guess but if that weekend is the only time I have, EA might be worth it for me.

What an odd/perverse thing to say....

That's messed up man and not funny at all, to anyone. Ever.

1. I do appreciate your thoughts.
2. Based on my vast military experience and analysis, that was satire.
3. I didn't do anything wrong
4. This is a WITCH HUNT
5. WITCH HUNT

Are you serious god I hope not

Yes sir. As I see it, the $79.99 could either sit in my bank collecting dust until game release, or it could sit in green man gaming's bank collecting dust until release. So the choice was easy.

Whaaaaaaaaat? Explain the need for an always on broadband connection!

I hope it is just for download and one time activation. But games typically don't list that in the specs if that is the case. Seems like there might be some always online component. Hopefully just odd wording.

Back