Starfield

Everyone always bitches when a new Bethesda game comes out...

Waa, "I'm not impressed", Waaah "Its Skyrim / Fallout in Space!" Ect....

Take a moment and realize that these types of games are a wet canvas, with modding you can make it anything you want. If you want to. I could nitpick at the game, sure. But I had no part in its development. So why bother?

Imagine for once if beth actually released a good game, that you didnt need to mod to just make it playable and fix all the flaws in it. Wouldnt that be nice for a change, getting a finished game that just works.

Imagine for once if beth actually released a good game, that you didnt need to mod to just make it playable and fix all the flaws in it. Wouldnt that be nice for a change, getting a finished game that just works.
1655226523508.png

Pete Hines talks more about Starfield around 46 minutes into this ongoing live stream.

Bethesda does release good games. Your opinion doesn't negate that.

Wow that looks janky and uninspiring. The ship and character customization do look great, but apart from that I’m not seeing anything even vaguely interesting. Environments and animations look the same or even worse than all those Unity/UE4 NMS clones on steam, combat looks sluggish and bullet-spongey, and the cool retro-futuristic art style they had going on in concept doesn’t look like it translated well into the actual 3D models. Bit of a shame :/
I agree as I thought it looked laughable coming from a big triple a studio. At first it looked good and then when stuff started actually moving on the screen it was just ridiculously janky looking and looked like a reskin of Fallout 4. And those character models look like complete and utter garbage for a 2022 game. Honestly to me this just looks like an old game or mod with higher res textures on it.

Bethesda does release good games. Your opinion doesn't negate that.

Ive played most of their games going back to ye eld days, and they do make good games. Unfortunately they also make buggy and unfinished games. I played daggerfall, morrowind, oblivion, and skyrim at release and they were all terribly buggy messes. It took a lot of time and patches, and community patches to fix their games. I really liked morrowwind, but that game was a buggy mess at launch crashing and glitching out all the time.

Ive played most of their games going back to ye eld days, and they do make good games. Unfortunately they also make buggy and unfinished games. I played daggerfall, morrowind, oblivion, and skyrim at release and they were all terribly buggy messes. It took a lot of time and patches, and community patches to fix their games. I really liked morrowwind, but that game was a buggy mess at launch crashing and glitching out all the time.
At this point its almost like a game within itself, modding, fixing the .ini files and so on.

Are we institutionalized? Probably. But they still make good* fun games. Starfield will be no different. I'm more excited about what kinds of mods will come out for it than anything.

And it looks to be the closest thing to an open world(s) Freelancer that I've always wanted to play.

Bethesda used to release good games...now like BioWare they are living off the reputation of those previous games to get people excited about their upcoming ones

No they don't. If you have to fix a game with mods then it is a failure. I don't pay $60 for a game to finish their work.
Yeah they are incredibly lax when it comes to quality standards. Its inexcusable given how much money their games make. Typically their Elder Scrolls and Fallout RPGs aren't really enjoyable until a few years after launch once the community has fixed them up. I think the company knows that which is part of why they encourage modding.

Starfield Includes More Handcrafted Content Than Any Bethesda Game, Alongside Its Procedural Galaxy

Todd Howard: "We do a lot of procedural generation [in Starfield], but I would keep in mind that we've always done that," Howard explained. "It's a big part of Skyrim in terms of questing and some other things we do. We generate landscape using procedural systems, so we've always kind of worked on it. [The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall is] one we look at a lot in terms of game flow. And we had been developing some procedural technology and doing some prototypes, and it really started coming to a head with Starfield, in that we think we can do this."

While he didn't go into details, Howard stressed that Starfield's procedural generation is robust enough to handle the sheer scale of variety required to build 100 solar systems' worth of planets

https://www.ign.com/articles/starfi...ted-content-todd-howard-procedural-generation

I don’t believe a word of what Todd Howard says ever since the lead-up to Oblivion. The guy is 100% full of shit and just drumming up as much hype as possible for (pre)sales. I wouldn’t even be surprised if he’s never touched a build of the actual game outside of standing near a computer for some promotional photo op.

I will also add that Bethesda never actually made _good_ games - they were the only developer making open-world, sort-of-do-what-you-want single player RPGs. That’s still their niche and outside of some smaller studios like Taleworlds and big multiplayer-type survival/team games nobody has really ever entered that market. I played Bethesda games not because they’re good, but because there wasn’t (and really isn’t) anything else.

Simple solution: Don't pre-order.

That way, you aren't rewarding their marketing team for false statements, and instead, you wait for reviews and actual experience from players you trust. This way you can get a much better idea if the game is good, and reward the developers for making a good game instead of pre-ordering and rewarding the marketing team for making a good ad.

Simple solution: Don't pre-order.

That way, you aren't rewarding their marketing team for false statements, and instead, you wait for reviews and actual experience from players you trust. This way you can get a much better idea if the game is good, and reward the developers for making a good game instead of pre-ordering and rewarding the marketing team for making a good ad.
Oh, no... You didn't! Common sense in a game thread?! :p

I've pre-ordered one game in the last decade and regretted it... Battlefield 2042 for a 25% discount.

Oof, of all the ones you could have pre-ordered... that one must sting...
Yep... It sure did. I bought the gold edition to boot :(. I normally wait for large discounts on games post launch but decided to treat myself since I loved Battlefield 4...oopsies!

Yep... It sure did. I bought the gold edition to boot :(. I normally wait for large discounts on games post launch but decided to treat myself since I loved Battlefield 4...oopsies!
I also made that same mistake. Don’t plan to ever pre order again after that clusterfuck

To be honest I expected that. Heck I didn’t even expect space combat. I expected flying from planet to planet would be like mass effect. At least I was wrong about that.

Not being able to fly from space to planets is lame. Starlink Battle for Atlas had that feature, and that was essentially a game designed for children and was initially on the Nintendo Switch only if I recall. The space and atmospheric flight was very simple and more like a platformer than a real flight game.

You're telling me a AAA game can't at least do that? Lame. Just like not voicing the main character. After 20 versions of Skyrim you have enough money to have expansive dialogue options with a voice protagonist.

Not being able to fly from space to planets is lame. Starlink Battle for Atlas had that feature, and that was essentially a game designed for children and was initially on the Nintendo Switch only if I recall. The space and atmospheric flight was very simple and more like a platformer than a real flight game.

You're telling me a AAA game can't at least do that? Lame. Just like not voicing the main character. After 20 versions of Skyrim you have enough money to have expansive dialogue options with a voice protagonist.

It would be annoying AF to wait for your character to speak the dialogue option you chose because you just read it yourself. It would just be extra pointless waiting and you would want to skip it. You're never sitting back watching a cutscene of your character, you're playing the game seeing it happen while in control. Your character doesn't just blurt out random words, you choose everything it says. Voiced lines would be dumb and annoying. And they wouldn't match your character you pick unless they had 50 GOOD voice actors to cover every race/sex combination. It can't realistically be done well for this type of game.

It would be annoying AF to wait for your character to speak the dialogue option you chose because you just read it yourself. It would just be extra pointless waiting and you would want to skip it. You're never sitting back watching a cutscene of your character, you're playing the game seeing it happen while in control. Your character doesn't just blurt out random words, you choose everything it says. Voiced lines would be dumb and annoying. And they wouldn't match your character you pick unless they had 50 GOOD voice actors to cover every race/sex combination. It can't realistically be done well for this type of game.

Mass Effect proved it could be done over a decade ago. It also had male/female options, and you could choose any race you wanted. You don't need 50 good voice actors, you only need two. The idea that no voice is better than voice because you can't have 50+ different languages/accents is just silly.

Lets also not forget all of the NPCs have voice actors, so there isn't a technical problem. It is just a laziness/cost cutting one. Which is inexcusable for a company as big as this that releases the same gave about a dozen times (Skyrim).

Exactly! Well said, no reason to have voiceover in this instance.

Mass Effect proved it could be done over a decade ago. It also had male/female options, and you could choose any race you wanted. You don't need 50 good voice actors, you only need two. The idea that no voice is better than voice because you can't have 50+ different languages/accents is just silly.

Lets also not forget all of the NPCs have voice actors, so there isn't a technical problem. It is just a laziness/cost cutting one. Which is inexcusable for a company as big as this that releases the same gave about a dozen times (Skyrim).

I completely disagree, and even if I did I still wouldn't want voice acting for my character because of the reasons I said earlier.
And ME is a much different game that would be dumb without voice acting because you spend a lot of time watching instead of actually playing.

The biggest disappointments of not-E3

The games that didn't quite do it for us...Starfield is just ugly No Man's Sky...

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-biggest-disappointments-of-not-e3/
Their standards of journalism must have dropped since I used to read them 20 years ago. That article was just clickbait complaining. It's one thing for us to complain in forum threads but I expect something more newsworthy and such from a professional publication.

Back