Starcraft II

So, I'm still playing in the "intro" league (or whatever it's called) on the "special" maps...I cannot seem to catch a break with Protoss. Maybe it's just my gaming style or maybe making an MM ball is too easy but having to break down the barriers and such seems to take so long that by the time I'm ready to engage I'm running into a wall of MM's with Medivacs, which Stalkers/Zealots don't seem to do well against. It's frustrating.

Yet when I make my own MM ball I tend to do very well, I just don't like Terran as much (which is sad because I play better with them).

So, I'm still playing in the "intro" league (or whatever it's called) on the "special" maps...I cannot seem to catch a break with Protoss. Maybe it's just my gaming style or maybe making an MM ball is too easy but having to break down the barriers and such seems to take so long that by the time I'm ready to engage I'm running into a wall of MM's with Medivacs, which Stalkers/Zealots don't seem to do well against. It's frustrating.

Yet when I make my own MM ball I tend to do very well, I just don't like Terran as much (which is sad because I play better with them).
Sentry's are good to break them up with barrier especially on the ramp into your base.

Don't forget to play through all the challenges. I forget which one it is (Path of Ascension?) but there is a protoss one that helps you learn to utilize sentrys (which I had no idea how to do before doing that challenge).

Again, I would love to practice (since I play Terran) so I can work on rushing with MM and you can work on defending it. Or whatever else we wanna work on.

Sentry's are good to break them up with barrier especially on the ramp into your base.

Don't forget to play through all the challenges. I forget which one it is (Path of Ascension?) but there is a protoss one that helps you learn to utilize sentrys (which I had no idea how to do before doing that challenge).

Again, I would love to practice (since I play Terran) so I can work on rushing with MM and you can work on defending it. Or whatever else we wanna work on.

I added you last night to my Friend's list, we can definitely work on that. Remember that I'm a noobie so you've gotta go easy on me! :p

I've tried a few of the challenges but man, I can't seem to get the grasp of the micro on a lot of 'em. It's not that the enemy is busting down my front door, I usually try to bring the attack to them but with all the rocks blocking off everything it takes forever to get over there!!

you have to get colossus to take on MMM. no way around it. colossus + sentries plus zealots will do it.

Yeah, I got colossi but it seems that I never have enough or get them too late, they go down quickly.

The Marine/Marauder/Siege Tank army seems to be rampant in the low beginner's games, that and the Reaper harass.

some people like collusii, some people like HT.

Either way, you need sentries, another high gas unit.

The Marine/Marauder/Siege Tank army seems to be rampant in the low beginner's games

That unit composition is rampant in every league. ;)

Either way, the thing to keep in mind is that terran are very strong in the early game due to how quickly they can get their barracks unit upgrades. Stimpack and concussive shells are super early, while Protoss gateway upgrades don't come until (if) you get your Twilight Council.

The way that Protoss can handle MM early on is with sentry forcefields. You may not be able to take them in a straight fight, but being able to split their army, keep portions from retreating, and picking sections off puts the odds in your favor. My second unit out of my gateways is almost always a sentry. Having stalkers is also helpful against Marauders with concussive shells since zealots can easily be kited until they get the leg upgrades.

I generally like going 3 gate 1 robo, using robotics to make immortals to deal with marauder heavy builds (remember, it takes 25 hits for a marauder to take down an immortal). 4 gate builds are very strong, but that comes down to personal preference. I lean heavily on observers so I generally like having robo in my back pocket, plus it opens up the doorway for colossus once you have two bases fully running (or one base colossus if you really want to commit to a one base push). This can always change if they go with some early rush, then I just switch to a 4 gate and end the game once I have shut it down. It depends.

Either way, sentries are your friend. :)

TeamLiquid and the Liquipedia should have some good specific build orders for you.

That unit composition is rampant in every league. ;)

Either way, the thing to keep in mind is that terran are very strong in the early game due to how quickly they can get their barracks unit upgrades. Stimpack and concussive shells are super early, while Protoss gateway upgrades don't come until (if) you get your Twilight Council.

The way that Protoss can handle MM early on is with sentry forcefields. You may not be able to take them in a straight fight, but being able to split their army, keep portions from retreating, and picking sections off puts the odds in your favor. My second unit out of my gateways is almost always a sentry. Having stalkers is also helpful against Marauders with concussive shells since zealots can easily be kited until they get the leg upgrades.

I generally like going 3 gate 1 robo, using robotics to make immortals to deal with marauder heavy builds (remember, it takes 25 hits for a marauder to take down an immortal). 4 gate builds are very strong, but that comes down to personal preference. I lean heavily on observers so I generally like having robo in my back pocket, plus it opens up the doorway for colossus once you have two bases fully running (or one base colossus if you really want to commit to a one base push). This can always change if they go with some early rush, then I just switch to a 4 gate and end the game once I have shut it down. It depends.

Either way, sentries are your friend. :)

TeamLiquid and the Liquipedia should have some good specific build orders for you.

I've glanced at Team Liquid and I've watched a bit of Husky and Day9 trying to learn the game (as I told bonksnp last night, I've only been playing for a week and a half!). Terran seems to be the most straight forward-newbie friendly race by far and I do the best with them, but then my build is always MM + Dropship and it doesn't exactly take a lot to learn that (it does take some training to remember to build supply depots!)

I can't seem to get the hang of using Sentries and HT's either, casters seem to baffle me!

I need to start playing this again sometime!! Such a backlog of games.. sheesh. Also, we're almost at 100 pages!

LOL!

Played a bunch of co-op tonight and we went with hard ZZZ to try to get the achievement...we sucked. I'm decent with T and P but man, Z destroys me. I can't figure out how to use 'em.

Then I decided to play another intro League game and (surprise surprise) it was against Terran. This guy though fell into the "doesn't make enough units" category, and on top of that I made sure to get several Colossi w/ETL. I think at the climax it was my ~150 food vs. his ~70 food, he attacked me with maybe 30 marines and the the Colossi went through them like butter. Got to his base...and he had 6 or so Marauders and a few marines left.

Winning feels good, I probably need to skip the rest of my "intro league" games as playing on maps where you have to break down rocks to attack at SUPER slow speed is annoying. I'm worried that I'll get blasted once out of said league though!

LOL!

Played a bunch of co-op tonight and we went with hard ZZZ to try to get the achievement...we sucked. I'm decent with T and P but man, Z destroys me. I can't figure out how to use 'em.

Then I decided to play another intro League game and (surprise surprise) it was against Terran. This guy though fell into the "doesn't make enough units" category, and on top of that I made sure to get several Colossi w/ETL. I think at the climax it was my ~150 food vs. his ~70 food, he attacked me with maybe 30 marines and the the Colossi went through them like butter. Got to his base...and he had 6 or so Marauders and a few marines left.

Winning feels good, I probably need to skip the rest of my "intro league" games as playing on maps where you have to break down rocks to attack at SUPER slow speed is annoying. I'm worried that I'll get blasted once out of said league though!

Well, if you want to get the coop achievement, I'm your man. I want to get some of them too.

Did you guys see this? Potential patch changes leaked, way to go Naniwa!

Looks like he will never meet with them again, lol. I find the new statistic kind of disconcerting if they're true, apparently Protoss is now the weakest race by a long shot.

I mean, take it with a huge grain of salt, he could totally be making all of this up... but if it is true it's GIGANTIC news.

Haha maybe man, I don't really feel like PvT is imbalanced, I can't believe that statistic.

Well, if you want to get the coop achievement, I'm your man. I want to get some of them too.

Definitely, what's your name/CC?

As for the "alleged" changes I'm not good enough to worry about most of those yet, I probably wouldn't notice the difference, but with all the hubbub about the "Unstoppable 4 Gate" it seems kind of surprising that Toss would be weakest. Halving the Baneling morph could be annoying...

Team leagues have a Masters division now. Anyone got it?

I gotta be close in Random 4v4 -- sitting at 3200 in Diamond.

^I'm almost there with you. Just need to get promoted from Gold to Plat, and then it should be a breeze ;)

As for the patch rumors... unless it's directly from Blizzard, it isn't worth mentioning.

Holy shit, new maps and Templar got MASSIVELY nerfed in PTR(no more Amulet Upgrade). Also,masters for teams isn't released yet, just in korea.

Last edited:
Looking at the 1.3.0 PTR...

- looks like the archon toilet is no more. also, can the units exiting the wormhole attack freely during the 1.5 second? seems like the description isn't sufficient enough, or a major oversight
- removing the HT upgrade is just weird
- they really don't like infestors at blizzard, to they? yeah, i welcome the bump in health, the 4 sec vs 8 sec duration isn't a terrible idea, but making it a missile, white it makes sense, is a terrible idea, IMO.

I wonder how much of this will stick. The last time they tried to "fix" infestors, they ended up keeping them unchanged.

Definitely, what's your name/CC?

As for the "alleged" changes I'm not good enough to worry about most of those yet, I probably wouldn't notice the difference, but with all the hubbub about the "Unstoppable 4 Gate" it seems kind of surprising that Toss would be weakest. Halving the Baneling morph could be annoying...

Deluded.467

Looking at the 1.3.0 PTR...

- looks like the archon toilet is no more. also, can the units exiting the wormhole attack freely during the 1.5 second? seems like the description isn't sufficient enough, or a major oversight
- removing the HT upgrade is just weird
- they really don't like infestors at blizzard, to they? yeah, i welcome the bump in health, the 4 sec vs 8 sec duration isn't a terrible idea, but making it a missile, white it makes sense, is a terrible idea, IMO.

I wonder how much of this will stick. The last time they tried to "fix" infestors, they ended up keeping them unchanged.

There's two unnoted changes, broodlord cost is up to 450/300 and overseer went from 50-100 to 150-100. Why are they still nerfing zerg? Everyone and their grandmother knows they need buffs.Althought 40% additional damage to armored might be pretty nice on fungal.

There's two unnoted changes, broodlord cost is up to 450/300 and overseer went from 50-100 to 150-100. Why are they still nerfing zerg? Everyone and their grandmother knows they need buffs.Althought 40% additional damage to armored might be pretty nice on fungal.
Are you kidding me with this? 450/300 for Broodlord? :eek: Overseer is now effectively 250-100? How does that compare to Tos' observers? :confused:

The 40% to armor is negligible, since the duration was cut in half, so it's still effectively less damage.

Just as with previews PTR notes... I doubt many of them will get through.

I wouldn't worry too much about the changes. Blizzard uses the PTR to try out more radical changes and see how they affect the game.

Are you kidding me with this? 450/300 for Broodlord? :eek: Overseer is now effectively 250-100? How does that compare to Tos' observers? :confused:

The 40% to armor is negligible, since the duration was cut in half, so it's still effectively less damage.

Just as with previews PTR notes... I doubt many of them will get through.

From what I've heard Fungal has the same amount of damage but with a shorter duration, so the DPS is actually much higher.

I'm not real happy about the kaydaran amulet upgrade going away. Templar energy takes a hell of a long time to recoup, and this is going to pretty much force more robo heavy play.

Holy shiiit. That was the most epic PvZ ever in Code S. SanZenith takes a game off of IMNestea with a mothership!!

Back