Starcraft 2 Beta

Yes, but I need the practice ;) I thought I was hot stuff in the 5 newb games. I was rolling right along. Then I got moved up and I think I am 1-5 so far :eek:

Though to be fair to myself, I should be 2-4. One was a win that was in the bag and comcast decided to die on me.

Dude, just preorder it from amazon or gamestop.
I know from gamestop it's free shipping and you won't get billed until it ships.
So game on man.

We dont have the luxury of Amazon in Canada (At least the good Amazon)
As for Gamestop, Im not sure if the deal extends to Canada as well, the person I spoke with there was less than helpful.

We dont have the luxury of Amazon in Canada (At least the good Amazon)
As for Gamestop, Im not sure if the deal extends to Canada as well, the person I spoke with there was less than helpful.

yes it does, got my beta key from my local eb games in alberta last week. they only had about 6 keys but i live in a smaller town.

played my first match against a human last night, and to my surprised I dominated.

Went protos and built up 2 zealots and a stalker asap for defense then rushed on to get immortals. After about 5 immortals I built my self 3 colosus and went off hunting lol. My partner was less than usefull, by the time I sent my guys out and already destroyed half of the first enemy base he sent 3 zealots and 2 air ships to help lol.

im glad I attacked when I did, first guy i killed was terran, had 40 workers mining stuff and about 6 barracks. he was just starting to mass produce marines and marauders, thankfully marines die by the hand full vs colosus lol.

Last edited:
I was placed in GOLD 2v2. i only play 2v2 right now. im finally starting to win games! i still need work but at least im getting wins now. I been getting fast reapers to annoy probes then marauders and siege tanks. I destroyed about 20 thors with 10 siege tanks. I get reapers and then it seems they are pretty useless after that.

I like to do marauders + medivac + tanks. my big problem is mutas. god those things got buffed so much from sc1

I was placed in GOLD 2v2. i only play 2v2 right now. im finally starting to win games! i still need work but at least im getting wins now. I been getting fast reapers to annoy probes then marauders and siege tanks. I destroyed about 20 thors with 10 siege tanks. I get reapers and then it seems they are pretty useless after that.

I like to do marauders + medivac + tanks. my big problem is mutas. god those things got buffed so much from sc1

Missile turret and marines are a pretty annoying counters. Also vikings too. I should know as a zerg player lol. I don't think that it's a pretty major tech switch.

Muta will beat vikings unless the vikings have marines supporting them. The vikings provide good long range AA against heavy air but if you go head to head against the muta ball with just the vikings the muta will win unless you outnumber them.

Missile turret and marines are a pretty annoying counters. Also vikings too. I should know as a zerg player lol. I don't think that it's a pretty major tech switch.

only been beat with mutas once so far, but really didn't know what was the best counter to that. My marines and vikings didn't cut it, but with better scouting maybe it could have worked.

Are the mutas even stronger than in sc1? A friend of mine beat me with mutas every time if I let him get it back then! Remember a terran flier and the goliath upgrade in Brood war were more useful against mutas.. But haven't seen anything like those in SC2, shame.

Thors counter mutas pretty well, but you'll need more than one. Don't expect one thor to take down a bunch of mutas, especially if the zerg player micros well and spreads mutas apart.

Huge massed mutas are also juicy targets for heat seeker missiles, so a couple ravens wouldn't be a bad idea. Getting a couple HSM hits in the middle of battle is an enormous resource loss for a zerg, though you'll have to be lucky since mutas outrun HSMs very easily.

Thors counter mutas pretty well, but you'll need more than one. Don't expect one thor to take down a bunch of mutas, especially if the zerg player micros well and spreads mutas apart.

Yeah thors counter them really well. I had a brain fart during my 1v1 match yesterday against someone who went muta ball and lings into banelings.. i amassed marines/mauds with helions but i should have went thors earlier.. would have won me the game. I usually do go thors.. I have no idea why I didn't this time..

Huge massed mutas are also juicy targets for heat seeker missiles, so a couple ravens wouldn't be a bad idea. Getting a couple HSM hits in the middle of battle is an enormous resource loss for a zerg, though you'll have to be lucky since mutas outrun HSMs very easily.

hmm, yeah that makes sense. Marines, turrets and vikings did manage to kill off quite a few mutas, and I held out for a while. Also thanks to a few tank drops:) But in the end the mutas won the day.

Problem I see though is that thors and HSM are slow. If the zerg is paying attention like you say he can just outrun the HSM, and easily dodge the thor and attack elsewhere. Guess that will deny him targets by placing thors, but the only mobile anti-muta are vikings, which again is weak to ground, unlike mutas..
Life isn't fair... :(

Static defense (turrets) around your base and expo and just go attack his base.. he'd be forced to retreat or just try to take out your base... but he wont have much to defend with if you have a large enough army to take out his base as well.. a muta ball isn't going to kill you if you destroy his base with ahealthy amount of AA left.

Finally got my key due to GS pre-order.

Um...so yeah no #'s for SC2 handle - which means now more Mav451. Instead Mav.(random name) for the LOLs. Played my first game, and my god was I terrible. Didn't know the hotkeys...siege is NOT o, marine is NOT 'm"....all this will go away soon though I know.

Static defense (turrets) around your base and expo and just go attack his base.. he'd be forced to retreat or just try to take out your base... but he wont have much to defend with if you have a large enough army to take out his base as well.. a muta ball isn't going to kill you if you destroy his base with ahealthy amount of AA left.

listen to this guy. Zerg has some great midgame harass options with mutas, and a good way to get rid of a zerg who depends on his air too much is to simply force the issue and go for the base. Bring some SCVs to repair your thors and it'll be tough for him to beat you- I've had several games where I felt totally in control of the game, but when push came to shove I didn't have the army size to defeat his army.

I've been playing beta for last week, this game is lots of fun. Voidray is the coolest unit, just because it looks awesome.

OH yeah I got an old 8800GTS512, does starcraft2 use physx? Worth putting it in as a second card?

Ah nice. I have been waiting for that. Wanted to see how it did on my laptop. Downloading now.

On the AI, you have seen it do something?!? The few times I messed around with it all it did was gather, not building etc.

the community has been working on custom ai since launch, much more advanced than the default that came with the client. it offers a decent challenge for practice or those who just don't have a key, good for learning early game builds and such since certain versions are all about rushing as fast and hard as possible. start here:

http://darkblizz.org/Forum2/ai-scripts/

top sticky has info and links on current dev, they're up to v7.0 now, all you have to do is replace a single package file to try different ai versions. they're incompatible with the official release maps, so make sure you back up anything you replace for online play.

I'm officially bored with the game, tired of the streamlined build orders. My APM is too low to be effective by using alternate methods to win, and it's just clear to me now the certain builds just have a higher win percentage. I'm looking forward to the games release, but probably more for 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 because 1vs1 has lost it's appeal.

I've been playing beta for last week, this game is lots of fun. Voidray is the coolest unit, just because it looks awesome.

OH yeah I got an old 8800GTS512, does starcraft2 use physx? Worth putting it in as a second card?

No and no. the 8800gts is plenty for this game imo.

dont know if anyone knows this but starcarft 2 betas are availble if you preorder SC2 at gamestop

I officially have no strategy. Been getting my ass handed to me all night. I guess i'll watch some youtube tutorials.

I'm officially bored with the game, tired of the streamlined build orders. My APM is too low to be effective by using alternate methods to win, and it's just clear to me now the certain builds just have a higher win percentage. I'm looking forward to the games release, but probably more for 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 because 1vs1 has lost it's appeal.

Noooo!
Cmon decko, lets play some 2's... my finals will be over in a week :)

Also, wanted to give a shoutout to Quix- played a couple 2's and while our opponents were pretty garbage, I can definitely tell you're playing way better than you let on :p

OK, so my local gamestop "ran out" of beta keys, and our Amazon in Canada doesnt have the deal. Does anyone have a friend invite they would be willing to share? I would love to get in on this but Canada blows for this kind of stuff. THey always under-estimate their market / audience.

Aahaha U.S. took it. :p Good matches especially that second one PvZ. So back and forth...

Hahah, I actually didn't have time to watch the matches. Was it close though?

Considering one city in the U.S is pretty much the same population as Canada.. I'd say Canada did pretty well from such a small sample size :p.

Hahah, I actually didn't have time to watch the matches. Was it close though?

Considering one city in the U.S is pretty much the same population as Canada.. I'd say Canada did pretty well from such a small sample size :p.

Hey Refraxion - I'd like a rematch.

Anyhow, for the rest of you, does the in game voice chat no longer work on BNET? I noticed it hasn't worked for the past few days. Anyone know what's going on?

Also, wanted to give a shoutout to Quix- played a couple 2's and while our opponents were pretty garbage, I can definitely tell you're playing way better than you let on :p

Still need to finish our placement, looking forward to playing some real opponents.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is gas much harder to come by now? With two bases up and running I constantly find myself with thousands of minerals and no gas at all as Zerg. At that point I just send drones out and take every expansion I can on the map... nothing else to use minerals on.

Hmmmmm, is battlenet having issues? I just got my key from Gamestop, and Battlenet wont accept it.

Is it just me or is gas much harder to come by now? With two bases up and running I constantly find myself with thousands of minerals and no gas at all as Zerg. At that point I just send drones out and take every expansion I can on the map... nothing else to use minerals on.

Yes now the two vents are pretty much necessary, and costly. Two buildings for about 150 minerals, 6 workers (8 for zerg w/ builders). Upgrades for 100 G are no joke. And the Hydra lair needs more gas and tech. Stealing a vent (as some pros do) looks more and more impactful.

I am up and playing it, just today.

The default "quick game" speed for the starter games is "fast" which isn't different but I am so rusty. But replays will help.

Back