Starcraft 2 Beta

It takes like 5 seconds. You download the client, and you copy a folder to allow you to bypass the login screen. You do not need the crack for sandbox in order to watch replays. Plus there are websites like gamereplays.org where people rate the games, so technically you could find something more entertaining to watch with the benefits of playing it from your own computer (you chose what part of the map to view, better graphics, etc).

You're still missing the benefit of good commentary. I think there is absolute value in watching replays on your own machine, especially when you're analyzing your own game, but there is a lot to be said for the some of the commentary you get from people streaming. I've learned a hell of a lot listening to the people streaming from TeamLiquid.net, super informative.

Can you run eyefinity? Currently have 4850 and was planning to get another 4850 to crossfire. But if eyefinity work in this game, I'll get either crossfire 5770 or 5850.
Do you think using eyefinity on sc2 is cheating? you get more view angle so you will know when you will know before other people will.

Can you run eyefinity? Currently have 4850 and was planning to get another 4850 to crossfire. But if eyefinity work in this game, I'll get either crossfire 5770 or 5850.
Do you think using eyefinity on sc2 is cheating? you get more view angle so you will know when you will know before other people will.

Good question. You would be able to see a lot more battlefield if it worked. :eek:

Eyefinity works, but fov is fixed.

It is sort of fixed. There are three display widths that it supports, 4:3, 16:10, and 16:9. 16:9, being the widest of those aspect ratios, shows the most of the playing field.

This gif illustrates how SC2 handles FOV among different aspect ratios: http://serpico74.shackspace.com/sc2fov.gif

I have read nothing on EyeFinity allowing anything wider than what the 16:9 aspect ratio offers.

I'm playing on a 30in monitor with aspect ratio of 16:10 over here with full screen. specs on my sig

Had a chance to play today, the game is stunning. Seems incredibly polished for a game that just entered beta.

v4 of the hacked AI is out, and it's surprisingly decent. Expands and rushes!

Had a chance to play today, the game is stunning. Seems incredibly polished for a game that just entered beta.

I know, its great isn't it?

On the last Blizzard podcast they said that while they were initially aiming for a 4-6 month beta, they are now looking at something closer to three months. Based on how well balanced things are and how quickly changes are being rolled out, I believe it. At this point the game is better polished than most final releases, so yeah, crossing fingers for a Summer release!

I know, its great isn't it?

On the last Blizzard podcast they said that while they were initially aiming for a 4-6 month beta, they are now looking at something closer to three months. Based on how well balanced things are and how quickly changes are being rolled out, I believe it. At this point the game is better polished than most final releases, so yeah, crossing fingers for a Summer release!

They've also mentioned that they're willing to do *anything* in order to make sure the game is as good as possible at release, like adding or removing units in extreme (and unlikely) cases. :eek: I'm actually more convinced that beta will be extended than anything, judging by their track record lol. Still hoping on the map editor being released during beta to get modders to play with it. It didn't seem likely to happen if they were to move that fast.

They've also mentioned that they're willing to do *anything* in order to make sure the game is as good as possible at release, like adding or removing units in extreme (and unlikely) cases. :eek: I'm actually more convinced that beta will be extended than anything, judging by their track record lol. Still hoping on the map editor being released during beta to get modders to play with it. It didn't seem likely to happen if they were to move that fast.

They absolutely did say that in the podcast. That said, the game is very well balanced at this point. There are absolutely tweaks that need to be made, and many have been to things like the Reaper (yay!) and Protoss Chrono Boost (boo!). So far (emphasis on "so far" :)) there don't seem to be any imbalances that are game breaking and would require new units, etc, just tweaks on existing numbers. Something can obviously emerge in the next few weeks, but we'll see.

Yeah, Blizzard's "when its done" record is legendary even when compared with studios like Valve and Nintendo, but given that the beta is almost a year late and is as polished as it is, well, I'm trying to be Mr Optimistic right now. :)

We'll see!

I'm now thinking of just skipping this game all together now, if they don't want to cater to their huge and loyal fanbase by releasing a non open beta, Blizzard can suck my white scottish cock for all I care now.

I'm now thinking of just skipping this game all together now, if they don't want to cater to their huge and loyal fanbase by releasing a non open beta, Blizzard can suck my white scottish cock for all I care now.

so just because you bought sc1 and played on a free mp, you feel you should get into the beta? :rolleyes:

currently there are ways of playing the game with out beta access, just go look for it.

lum.jpg

Come on dude, you have to wait another few months so you're not going to play it period?

That's cutting off your nose to spite your own face if I've ever seen it.

Lol...... :rolleyes:

Refraxion when did you get your key? was it through blizzard family and friends?

They absolutely did say that in the podcast. That said, the game is very well balanced at this point. There are absolutely tweaks that need to be made, and many have been to things like the Reaper (yay!) and Protoss Chrono Boost (boo!). So far (emphasis on "so far" :)) there don't seem to be any imbalances that are game breaking and would require new units, etc, just tweaks on existing numbers. Something can obviously emerge in the next few weeks, but we'll see.

They may not remove units but they're removing abilities and such like crazy!

They've done some pretty drastic changes in beta. I remember the original beta WC3 function of the siege engine was an armored troop carrier. It could house four riflemen, who could shoot while inside it. The best part was that when the siege engine was destroyed, all the units would just pop out unharmed.

The siege engine itself had no attacks but it was pretty ridiculous to have a heavily armored, high HP, ranged unit, especially so early in the game. They kept messing with it (reducing attack speed of units inside) but eventually it was just reworked into the anti-building unit it is today.

They've been doing a LOT of reworking on the mothership. By reworking I mean nerfing. :( It's basically a bigger, more expensive, much slower arbiter now.

The thing was hard to move as it was....

Yeah, I saw the notes, they butchered the Mothership like crazy. Odd because from the vids and such that I've seen it was nowhere close to the most overpowered unit. They've still done nothing to nerf Roaches.

I played with the v5 ai yesterday. zerg ai was hitting me good and killed me 2x, toss AI was retarded and did nothing. I am just glad i am able to finally play.

The patch notes are classic Blizzard. Small tiny changes here and there that add up to balance (hopefully).

I watched a ton of replays this weekend. One was a mothership rush, pre-nerf, it was pretty silly. Watching replays in the game engine is far superior to streaming; you can see the player APM, their actual clicks, where their attention is, what unit groupings they have, for any player not just the recorder, etc etc.

I like how SC2 keeps a copy of the SC2.exe from each patch version. You can seamlessly watch older replays it just loads the older .exe and returns to the newest one after the replay is over. Very nice.

Last edited:
The patch notes are classic Blizzard. Small tiny changes here and there that add up to balance (hopefully).

I watched a ton of replays this weekend. One was a mothership rush, pre-nerf, it was pretty silly. Watching replays in the game engine is far superior to streaming; you can see the player APM, their actual clicks, where their attention is, what unit groupings they have, for any player not just the recorder, etc etc.

I like how SC2 keeps a copy of the SC2.exe from each patch version. You can seamlessly watch older replays it just loads the older .exe and returns to the newest one after the replay is over. Very nice.

Still not sure how you're able to watch replays...I tried everything I could think of and I can't get it to work.

Yeah, I saw the notes, they butchered the Mothership like crazy. Odd because from the vids and such that I've seen it was nowhere close to the most overpowered unit. They've still done nothing to nerf Roaches.

What are you using to counter them? If terran, use Marauders. They get +10 damage to armored, which Roaches are, one Marauder costs 25 more minerals but, in early game mass units vs. mass units, Marauders tend to win the day, cost vs. cost. Their slowing is essential as early game mass units won't be able to surround and pound your fewer, but stronger, units.

Protoss get the bum end of the stick. Stalkers cost 50 more yet only do the same amount of damage to Roaches (16 total vs. armored vs. 16 base with no bonuses on the roach). They do have higher shields + HP but it doesn't offset the increased cost completely. Stalkers are clearly inferior units when it comes to early game ground combat due to part of their unit cost and use being invested into doubling as ground-to-air.

I'd suggest going half zealots, half stalkers with one sentry. Use Guardian Shield. That should tip the battle in your favor. The Zealots, pound for pound, will win vs. a Roach, but the problem is they're melee and tend to get torn down before they even hit their targets. The more zealots you have, the more movement will be required to surround and pound. Cutting down on zealots and adding stalkers to the mix will help. Too many stalkers, and your costs are too high to compete with the Roacher. Too many zealots, and they'll be tripping over themselves before they can kill anything. Guardian Shield is essential.

Even then, the math still favors Zerg. 10 Roaches is 25 minerals more than 3 zealots, 3 stalkers, 1 sentry, and four fewer food. You'll probably still have to play defensively and use Chrono Beacon. The only thing tipping in your favor is that to pump out that many Roaches really fast, he's going to need a Queen. Added to that the higher cost of the spawning pool (effectively 250 with the sacrificed Drone vs. 150 Gateway), you can produce one more Pylon and three more zealots or a couple stalkers and a zealot, which would put you over the top. That's why they increased the build time of the Gateway. Mineral for mineral, you could get two zealots out and attack a zerg base with Chrono Beacon before he even has zerglings before (on the smallest 1v1 maps).

I really wish they'd buff Guardian Shield to increase damage reduction with some type of upgrade, maybe rolled into shield upgrades or ground ranged upgrades, to go up to -5 damage reduction after three upgrades.

If you also play Zerg and don't simply wish to out-produce him, just use a baneling or three and it'll ruin his day. Just make sure he's firing on your roaches first before moving in banelings.

If it's a really heavy Roach masser, I play defensively and by mid-game I tech up to Hellions to flank the mass while Marauders go in first. If Protoss, I play very defensively and whip out a couple warp rays ASAP to take out their base. That usually forces them to stop rushing and change strats (generally too late). The majority of Roach rushers I've seen will panic and stop attacking with their mass while I take out their base, whereas if they just pushed with all they had it's possible they could overrun my defenses (although if they have absolutely no anti-air, which tends to be the case with a mass roacher, they wouldn't be fast enough to raze all my buildings before I razed theirs because warp rays, once on a roll, do hilarious damage).

Last edited:
I don't counter them...but I do watch people try to counter them on replays.

Roach massers are lame. Seriously, lol. That seems to be the main strat right now.

It is sort of fixed. There are three display widths that it supports, 4:3, 16:10, and 16:9. 16:9, being the widest of those aspect ratios, shows the most of the playing field.

This gif illustrates how SC2 handles FOV among different aspect ratios: http://serpico74.shackspace.com/sc2fov.gif

I have read nothing on EyeFinity allowing anything wider than what the 16:9 aspect ratio offers.

Well, it sounds like 3x 16:10 in portrait for 30:16 (or 15:8) is close enough to 16:9.
So, yes, eyefinity in Portrait will work just fine. It'd be nice to know if the GUI stretches though.

Even then, the math still favors Zerg. 10 Roaches is 25 minerals more than 3 zealots, 3 stalkers, 1 sentry, and four fewer food. You'll probably still have to play defensively and use Chrono Beacon. The only thing tipping in your favor is that to pump out that many Roaches really fast, he's going to need a Queen. Added to that the higher cost of the spawning pool (effectively 250 with the sacrificed Drone vs. 150 Gateway), you can produce one more Pylon and three more zealots or a couple stalkers and a zealot, which would put you over the top. That's why they increased the build time of the Gateway. Mineral for mineral, you could get two zealots out and attack a zerg base with Chrono Beacon before he even has zerglings before (on the smallest 1v1 maps).

Haha this kind of math is the Starcraft I remember. :D

I watched a great zerg v zerg match, one was massing roaches, the other zerglings. The 'ling player was damn good, and the lings were fast enough to run circles around the roaches, wipe out all the roach player's drones at two different bases and basically harass him into attacking.

Unable to catch the little buggers, the roach player decided to go offensive and attacked. He ran into some hastily constructed base defenses and was hit in the rear by the same damn zerglings from earlier. GG, game over.

LOL @ me, posted in wrong thread. Ignore.

Thats always fun to do ;) Wonder if that happens because a lot of us tab out shit tons of windows and go back and forth. Then forget what one they went into and started replying.

*shrug*

Anyrate, I wish I was home so I could get in on some of this demo watching / beta.. hrmphh I was deployed at the most horrible timing.

SC2 has me excited though since i loved SC1.. :D and from the sounds of everyone talking about it its a well polished and up to par sequel.

Back