Starcraft 2 Beta

Hmm don't think I have the full version of a Blizzard game to opt into the beta.

Wow really? I have 5 copies of D2 + expansion alone registered on my bnet account, not to mention WC3, TFT, & SC.

I hope I get in this beta. I suck at SC but it's still fun.

Pointless posts are pointless.

Anyways, thanks to this thread it reminded me to sign up for the Opt In. I was originally looking at it from work 6 months ago, but meant to wait and opt in whe I was home. Sucks I forgot.

OP asked if anyone was exciting about SC2 Beta, I answered.

So posts thinking Sc2 is overhyped are pointless? I see, I disagree with your post, thus it is pointless.:rolleyes:

It was pointless and slightly off topic. I would classify it as threadcrapping.

That would be like jumping into a Windows 8 Beta discussion and saying "Windows sucks."

Every hyped game will have people who thinks it's 'overhyped'.

Will it be worth the 10 year wait? Probably not in retrospect.
Is it very hyped? Sure
Will I buy it day one and game the hell out of it? Certainly.

Starcraft was hands down the BEST RTS in history.
They're basically recreating the first game with a few updates / new graphics engine (PHYSICS BABY!)

I don't think it's over hyped at all. I think people will buy it and play the hell out of it for the next decade.

Starcraft was hands down the BEST RTS in history.
They're basically recreating the first game with a few updates / new graphics engine (PHYSICS BABY!)

I don't think it's over hyped at all. I think people will buy it and play the hell out of it for the next decade.

IMO I liked War2 best and still think that as the best RTS Blizzard has ever made. But in all honesty, I'll be picking up SC2 on release because I love rts games and I know I'll have a few friends I'll be stomping on.

IMO I liked War2 best and still think that as the best RTS Blizzard has ever made. But in all honesty, I'll be picking up SC2 on release because I love rts games and I know I'll have a few friends I'll be stomping on.

pretty much my story, i'm excited, even bought some 30s of mtn dew

There really was no strategy in War 2 though.

There really was no strategy in War 2 though.

There was plenty of strategy -- I also loved the fast paced games it had. If anyone played Bnet (I played on Kali,Heat, Zone etc back in the day too) and remember the Bao Clan on the USWest servers or even the YoUArEGooD:) or YoUArEGoDLY:) etc names give me a shout :p.

On another note, if you log onto your battle.net account -- I see SC2 beta logo there.. does that mean I'm accepted or? Lol, I haven't logged onto my battle.net account in ages!

Never played any Blizzard games extensively. SC and AoE2 came out same time (for me) and I played AoE2 much more. However, I am stoked out of my mind for this game because FINALLY we have a true MODERN RTS that will set new ground rules and be palyed for a long time. RTS is my love and I'm glad we're back.

Can't wait for midnight on whatever day they choose.

There was plenty of strategy -- I also loved the fast paced games it had. If anyone played Bnet (I played on Kali,Heat, Zone etc back in the day too) and remember the Bao Clan on the USWest servers or even the YoUArEGooD:) or YoUArEGoDLY:) etc names give me a shout :p.

On another note, if you log onto your battle.net account -- I see SC2 beta logo there.. does that mean I'm accepted or? Lol, I haven't logged onto my battle.net account in ages!

By beta profile settings?

p.s.

Used to play on Heat all the time.

By beta profile settings?

p.s.

Used to play on Heat all the time.

Yeah, by beta profile settings.

Man Heat was good times!! Was so sad to see it go.. I didn't really ever play on Mplayer which I know some people did a long time ago.

Hmmmm I have a green-outlined "SC2 Beta" icon next to my beta profile settings as well... is that something everyone has? It didn't used to be there that I can recall.

EDIT: Also to post on the SC2 forums, do I need to make a new starcraft battle.net account then put it in with the gateway, user, pass, and cdkey for SC? It doesn't want to let me login using the old WOW credentials :p .

Last edited:
The thing I'm curious about is the minimum hardware requirements for the beta, I'm assuming they're much higher than what the actual game release will be. Considering there is probably a bit of optimizing left, and who knows what graphical options will be available to the user. I'd imagine the game is threaded for quad-core, but ultimately we don't know exactly how old this engine is or how well they will optimize quad core usage.

Fortunately, that's not a real problem for any of us, however, it may be for some people on the Battle.net forums.

I can not wait for the beta to start , however I'm still not happy with Blizzard splitting up the games into 3 parts .. I feel its a money hungry attempt to milk it further when Blizzard has money pouring out of every end.

Sadly I'll still buy it though since I love the SC franchise.

GOD, I want my key now.

Hookup from friend that works at Blizzard FTW :D

Sigh.. too bad I don't live in the U.S.. I'd surely want to have some friends working for Blizz right about now!!

Oh well, I guess living in the same town as BioWare HQ doesn't hurt.

well thank god i went to blizzcon 2k8 and got a key into the beta. its been a year in a half since i played that alpha they had at blizzcon. its going to be worth the wait.

I can not wait for the beta to start , however I'm still not happy with Blizzard splitting up the games into 3 parts .. I feel its a money hungry attempt to milk it further when Blizzard has money pouring out of every end.

Sadly I'll still buy it though since I love the SC franchise.

I'm still unhappy with Blizzard taking away LAN play. Regardless of that, I expect it to be a great game.

I'm still unhappy with Blizzard taking away LAN play. Regardless of that, I expect it to be a great game.

Didn't they say that wasn't a finalized decision and they're reconsidering it?

The biggest problem with LAN is Hamachi and lan cafes. Both of which hugely affect 3rd world countries where people pirate in bulk then play on bootleg networks.

however I'm still not happy with Blizzard splitting up the games into 3 parts .. I feel its a money hungry attempt to milk it further when Blizzard has money pouring out of every end.

Woot? Three parts with one race in every part? So we have to buy three games for full retail price to get all out of Starcraft 2? That makes no sense...

If MP is accessible from all three and they all have full pledged campaigns, I don't mind.

99% of time is spent in MP anyways

Woot? Three parts with one race in every part? So we have to buy three games for full retail price to get all out of Starcraft 2? That makes no sense...

The full MP is available from a single disk. The others are just more of the campaign.

If anyone got in could they post replays? Or does anyone know if people have setup replay sites? It's possible to merely watch replays with the beta installed but having no key. There's a lengthy file swapping process involved though.

Holy shit, have you ever tried wargus? WC2 is a favorite of mine too. Many years ago I did once have wargus working and played a bit at 1600x1200.

Are you sure? It wont be like Broodwar, where each expansion adds units, and campaigns etc?

Blizzard has already stated that all units will be available in MP and that the campaign is split into 3 parts: one for each race. Every race will be playable in MP for everybody. My biggest hope is that most of the hotkeys are the same from the original. I can go through those hotkeys in my sleep and it will mess me up so bad to have to relearn them.

Almost all of the hot-keys were changed to be located only on the left side of the keyboard.

Holy shit, have you ever tried wargus? WC2 is a favorite of mine too. Many years ago I did once have wargus working and played a bit at 1600x1200.

Oh wow, you can play at higher resolutions with Wargus? I have heard of it but I've never used it! Damn.. its been so long but I've recently played a bit of War2 on bnet with my cousin for the hell of it, still had good times. My quick blood lusting has slowed down since my earlier years though. Must be all that rust.

I just want to know if this is going to be like the classic StarCraft or if they're changing everything like how EA did with C&C4.

From the replays I've watched of terran vs terran it looks like the same gameplay. Supply depots are still 8 food. Command Centers cost 400, SCVs 50, etc. The drop ship is also the medic now. Terran the science vessel is called something else and seems like it has weapons now. Command centers have a couple upgrade options for scanning or defense. It's mostly the same gameplay with a bunch of little unit tweaks. I think they could have just taken the old game and allow custom resolutions and accomplished the same thing.

Terran v Terran and Terran v Zerg, strategy is a squad of reapers taking out the SCVs/Drones from the start

I fear the damn Protoss rush :(

A counter I saw was the guy getting rushed sent his marauders over and killed the other's base. It was kind of a stalemate, but the marauders mopped up faster than the reaper rush.

Played a few matches tonight with my buddy. A good time was had by all.

We're primarily Zerg, the Reaper rush tactic seems to be a little overpowered right now, I'm guessing it will be balanced pretty quickly.

Very polished beta overall.

Back