Star Wars: Squadrons

Hell, bring those on too if it broadens the appeal a bit and the revenue supports further development.

If "further development" has a cost of diminishing the quality of the product isn't it pointless? I'd rather have less, quality content then lots of crap.

I don't think Live service is an improvement over microtransactions. At least with the latter you could play the campaign in one breath. Now we'll probably have to wait months to play a 3 mission mini campaign a few times in a year. And end up paying more and getting less for the money.

Well that is more of an MP thing. For campaign games that is terrible. It works okay for sandbox style games like Hitman, but most people just wait for the game to come out in full anyways. I know I did.

Getting more hyped for this game, after reading that you'll be able to optionally fly in HUD-less mode, relying purely on the cockpit sensors and gauges for managing everything.

Just preordered an HP Reverb G2 VR headset which should be out before this game. Will consider a HOTAS stick after I've spent some time with the game to decide if I want to invest further.

Last edited:
Pre-ordered for $32 at CD Keys. I bet I'll resent myself for pre-ordering eventually, but I'll see how it goes. I'm a sucker for flight/space combat games so took a gamble.

I suspect it is like Forza Horizon 4, the single player bit only exists to fool you into playing the multiplayer. Not falling for that ruse again.

I suspect it is like Forza Horizon 4, the single player bit only exists to fool you into playing the multiplayer. Not falling for that ruse again.
I never touched the multiplayer in Horizon 4.

I never touched the multiplayer in Horizon 4.
I didn't either. But the single player campaign ended by the game basically telling me: now go play multiplayer. Like that was the reward for completing the very short campaign.

I didn't either. But the single player campaign ended by the game basically telling me: now go play multiplayer. Like that was the reward for completing the very short campaign.
I mean, it took me around 30 hours to finish everything in the base single player game. I think that was money well spent. Unless we're considering 30 hours short these days.

New gameplay (jackfrags)

Kind of sad that he found the game to be more complicated than he expected, the power management system is taken straight from the original X-Wing and Tie Fighter games...kids these days. Hopefully there is a compelling SP campaign because 5v5 PVP is just weak, can see MP dying off in a matter of months like most of EA's shitty online cash ins.

Kind of sad that he found the game to be more complicated than he expected, the power management system is taken straight from the original X-Wing and Tie Fighter games...kids these days.

There's another recent playthrough where the YouTuber essentially says the same thing. ("Not as expected" "may not be for everyone" "not like BF")

For me that is a DAMN good sign.

Still hope someone older gets to play it (like Space Game Junkie) and we hear their impressions.

You should try the original X-Wing...took me a week just to get my aim homed in when I got it off GOG a while back
And the crybabies of today would whine over the game...die in a mission...even the very last one...game over...start new game...FROM THE BEGINNING.

Older games are much harder than games today...but also gave bigger satisfaction when you conquered them.

You should try the original X-Wing...took me a week just to get my aim homed in when I got it off GOG a while back
I wouldn't want to play this without the XvT engine underpinning it... I remember how slow the blasters / lasers were!

In an semi-on-topic note, it would perhaps be nice to see the preceeding games back to X-Wing redone on this new engine.

And the crybabies of today would whine over the game...die in a mission...even the very last one...game over...start new game...FROM THE BEGINNING.

Older games are much harder than games today...but also gave bigger satisfaction when you conquered them.
You could revive your pilot just lost all the rank and score, but you could continue from where you were in the campaign.
One thing I really hated about the old games, that some craft when destroyed would instantly launch backwards, and crash into you unavoidably if you were chasing it. Which was usually instadeath you couldn't even eject.

I wouldn't want to play this without the XvT engine underpinning it... I remember how slow the blasters / lasers were!

In an semi-on-topic note, it would perhaps be nice to see the preceeding games back to X-Wing redone on this new engine.
That would be more interesting than this new game. I'm still unsure about the single player campaign in this. I don't think it will be very convincing.

That is one remaked I would buy.
Both X-Wing Collectors CD-Rom and Tie-Figther done in a 2020 engine.
And DO not change the difficulty!

I still remember the first time I fired up X-wing after getting an AWE32 soundcard 😁

1595522125098.png

wtf is that.

That would be more interesting than this new game. I'm still unsure about the single player campaign in this. I don't think it will be very convincing.

Sounds like it will be "meh" and more of an intro to the MP. I'll play it though, already pre-ordered for the MP.

Kind of sad that he found the game to be more complicated than he expected, the power management system is taken straight from the original X-Wing and Tie Fighter games...kids these days. Hopefully there is a compelling SP campaign because 5v5 PVP is just weak, can see MP dying off in a matter of months like most of EA's shitty online cash ins.
Elite Dangerous has a similar power management system, though you do not get to direct shielding to the forward or reverse shields.
This needs to have large scale battles or else it is just your generic "COD/Battlefield" clone with ships instead of people.

I hope you can play single player indefinitely and be able to modify your ship. I hope it isn't intended to focus only on multiplayer.

Kind of sad that he found the game to be more complicated than he expected, the power management system is taken straight from the original X-Wing and Tie Fighter games...kids these days.
Now that I've had a chance to watch the video, yeah... that's a simplified take on the original system.

Granted, the original system wouldn't fly on consoles as-is, given that nearly every key on the keyboard had three functions. Among them was a more fine-grained control scheme of the power management.

The component customization sounds like the items in Team Fortress 2. (sidegrades from the stock weapons/attributes)

A class-based shooter wrapped around a space-sim?

The component customization sounds like the items in Team Fortress 2. (sidegrades from the stock weapons/attributes)

Is it all tied to multiplayer though?

That's what it's looking like.

The recent articles concerning the game make it more and more clear that their focus is the multiplayer and they plan to milk this game for 10+ years. i mean they admitted that the price is $40 for this exact reason, to bait more players without actually going FTP. You can bet your ass there will be heavy monetization. They'll just call it something different. Like ubisoft is calling them time savers.

The recent articles concerning the game make it more and more clear that their focus is the multiplayer and they plan to milk this game for 10+ years. i mean they admitted that the price is $40 for this exact reason, to bait more players without actually going FTP. You can bet your ass there will be heavy monetization. They'll just call it something different. Like ubisoft is calling them time savers.
I am perfectly fine with monetization. I just want an ongoing single player experience.

They should just go F2P then with monetization.

If its a good game with progression, they would make a killing because it is star wars.

To me it seems like they arent sure so make 40 bucks up front and if it fails we stoll made the money because it is star wars.

Back