Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Yeah, the price mainly reflects the rarity of that ship. Even with LTI, replacement parts and upgrades will be hard to come by. You would have to rely on black market dealers and go hunting Vanduul ships yourself. That opens up entire new avenues of gameplay to explore, which is rather cool.

$18.588M, didnt we JUST hit $17M like a week ago?

Oh and side note: I am now a proud owner of an Avenger

Yeah, the price mainly reflects the rarity of that ship. Even with LTI, replacement parts and upgrades will be hard to come by. You would have to rely on black market dealers and go hunting Vanduul ships yourself. That opens up entire new avenues of gameplay to explore, which is rather cool.

I love the look of the ship, but I would just prefer loading a lot of engines on my Avenger and just staying away from peeps with that evil Vanduul ship!

So I was messing around in the Hangar module, and it doesn't seem like my account has the proper Aurora LX that I paid for, but rather just the standard Aurora. I confirmed this by trying to swap XML files to look at a different ship, but swapping the Aurora LX one didn't do anything. Any idea what's going on?

yeah like the other guy said did you buy the aurora lx outright or upgrade to it from a regular aurora? i bought the aurora lx package when it came out and i definitely have the aurora lx in my hanger.

I bought the upgrade, so that is likely it. Which Aurora is the "base" model? The ES? I can't seem to get the ship XML swapping to work properly. I got the Deluxe hangar working, but not any other ships.

I bought the upgrade, so that is likely it. Which Aurora is the "base" model? The ES? I can't seem to get the ship XML swapping to work properly. I got the Deluxe hangar working, but not any other ships.

I don't know if the ES model is available in the Hangar at the moment, the model that comes with the standard packages is the MR variant.

I'm not sure if that will fix anything with the XML files though, not sure how those work. I just bought stuff and reclaimed them to look at the different ships.

Last edited:
Wingman streaming right now, Wingman showed an in-engine WIP of a bar. Looked pretty damn cool (sorry no pic)

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wingmancig

He's taking Skype calls live: Wingmancig

- Stunt track possibly coming for the hangar module (as a giveaway?)
- CitCon in October for subscribers/concierge
- When we see the Retaliator and Gladiator we will have a "shipgasm". Cutlas is coming along as well as the Asteroid Hangar.
- Ship stats page will get an update to match the latest internal data as well as ship upgrades.
- There might be limited/unique types of weapons. If a factory node gets a rare type of metal/component they will produce a limited run of weapons/items with special/upgraded stats (limit 1 per user).
- Apparently the starfarer has increased in size. It started relatively smaller and has gotten pretty large in the latest iteration. Rob Irving: "It's a biiiig baby, a lovely big baby"
- All of the original ships that have been shown in game will be reworked. Newer ships are more detailed/higher quality so the old ones will get updated to match the quality of the newer ones.
sNMxztP.jpg

Last edited:
A long long time ago I was content with the 140 I spent on the Freelancer package, then I lost it and bought a Cutlass and 300R. Then I saw the first wip of the Starfarer and bought that. Now your telling me that the Starfarer just got even better and all the self control I mustered to not purchase the Retalliator will most likley be for naught once I see it, not to mention the wait list of the Scythe, may god have mercy on my bank for I will not.

I believe the asteroid hangar is the default hangar for the Cutlass and the Caterpillar.

yes. it will however mort likely also be purchasable just like the business. or deluxe models

Nice. The problem of lack of pilots/crew is becoming more real the more ships they release and hiring NPC crew is not all that appealing as the added expense may become too great to keep up.

Meh, i don't think its that big of an issue. The crews won't cost too much. and there are loads of people that didn't spend a shit load of money like us. plus i don't think people will have a problem crewing other peoples ships. i think it would be loads of fun to be a crewmen on someone's ship.

Yeah, it's a good bit of money, more than I would ever spend at a single time though. (for me anyway)

However we are at month 9 or 10 now, so it starts adding up.

a lot of people want to see what chris roberts can do with 25+ million and current gen technology.

yep and at this rate we will be over 30 mil by the time the PU is launched.

in your face shitty game industry.
(not including indy devs of course)

Yeah, it's a good bit of money, more than I would ever spend at a single time though. (for me anyway)

However we are at month 9 or 10 now, so it starts adding up.

normally im with you. i dont ever buy CE games, and i dont like to pay full price for games either. but this game is an exception. it is special. and has the potential to be one of the best PC games of all time considering the current design philosophy and the lack of publisher control.

ill likely buy a cutlass next. waiting to see hangar videos first

normally im with you. i dont ever buy CE games, and i dont like to pay full price for games either. but this game is an exception. it is special. and has the potential to be one of the best PC games of all time considering the current design philosophy and the lack of publisher control.

ill likely buy a cutlass next. waiting to see hangar videos first

People aren't "buying" anything (aside from hangers and such), they are generously pledging :p

People aren't "buying" anything (aside from hangers and such), they are generously pledging :p

the money has left my account, i havent pledged shit. i bought it. :). it hasnt been pledges since the kickstarter

Oh, I'm very excited for the game. I am just in awe of how many there are that are that enthusiastic to pledge more than $100 for a game.

Chris really did leave a benchmark with the Wing Commander and Freelancer games...I think one only he could really beat.

At 14 I purchased a Sound Blaster 8-bit card for $135.00 JUST to hear the kick-ass sound effects and music of Wing Commander 1.

I do worry when games start trying to branch across genres, hopefully this works out though.

its not to far of a stretch I think, They already planned to include fps in ship boarding so the system was there. All there doing is taking that system to a larger scale.

Yeah, and I know CryEngine is a capable FPS engine (I'm more interested to see how it deals with space combat than FPS :D). The worry when games try and go cross-genre is that they often become too thinly spread.

Doesn't really seem like that lofty of a goal, we already have walking around in ships, and at space ports, and presumably space stations... now add guns. It's not going to be revolutionary FPS combat. It probably wont even be in depth. It might be fun. But most of all, it probably will require relatively little developer resources to implement. Assuming the environments for "select lawless planets" were already going in anyway.

The engine is already built to do fps. All they have to do is build a mouse for it and pipe data around plus the environments. my only point of concern is getting shot in the head.

I hope you're right... all I think when I hear people say "all they have to do is..." I just think, well, if it were that simple, why are there so many games out there with equally large budgets that seem to miss the mark in terms of polish and balance and even just fundamental things. My only conclusion is that implementing damned near anything in a game is actually a lot more complicated than people make out. Even just off the top of my head, they're going to be adding gun models, a bunch of extra animations, going to have to sort out things like recoil and bullet speeds and if they want to make it worth doing at all they're going to have to address weapon balance and spend time implementing a system for when you can and can't use guns and just overall making the "rules" for the system.

I want to see an awesome space combat game... I'm happy enough if they just focus on getting that right before getting too in depth with all the auxiliary stuff.

Even just off the top of my head, they're going to be adding gun models, a bunch of extra animations, going to have to sort out things like recoil and bullet speeds and if they want to make it worth doing at all they're going to have to address weapon balance and spend time implementing a system for when you can and can't use guns and just overall making the "rules" for the system.
Isn't all that required for boarding anyway?

My understanding that even without the 20-million goal, there is going to be a high-end on-foot combat component. Consider that some time ago, Chris Roberts made a deal with Richard Garriott for a "cross promotion" of sorts for backers of both their projects (ie You get a Star Citizen inspired item in Shroud of the Avatar, and a Shroud-inspired item in Star Citizen) - it was announced that the item in question in Star Citizen would be a special crossbow sidearm! They've been planning on-foot combat for quit some time and I don't have any reason to think they will not give it the same level of detail as they are planning for space combat. Even at its very early state, the level of detail I see in the Hangar module is a good indication they're going to keep up a high level of quality - just opening doors and hatches with the animations they include are pretty amazing in a game industry where (short of the ORIGINAL Planetside), nobody has done the same thing - its all "press E next to the vehicle, immediately pop into the cockpit/driver seat".

From what I've been able to glean that right now, there will be on-foot combat with lots of options. A wide variety of pistol and rifle type side arms for instance, 9 (is it 9?) classes of flight/space suit that offer tradeoffs in the amount of "armor/shields" versus being able to take certain duty stations etc.. for instance, they talked about an "EVA-like space suit" which would have magnetic boots, allowing you to do battle on the hull of a ship, as well as one with a EVA-style jetpack for mobility and protection - but don't expect to be able to slip into a Hornet wearing one of these. Can anyone confirm anything further on melee combat? I know it has been mentioned, but to what extent as far as specially equipped knives and whatnot I'm unsure. You'll be able to fight in shipboard combat, both interior and exterior (ie on the hull with magboots etc.), in both offensive and defensive manners. In addition, when you're on any of the "ground/landed", you can act aggressively in a variety of docks, bars, cities etc... but there will be repercussions if you just pull out your blaster and shoot some guy across the bar from you for no reason (ie UEE Advocacy will put out a warrant for your arrest etc.). However, fisticuffs in a bar will probably not call down the authorities in nearly the same way, through you may be warned on a core-world etc.. This will likely also play into the idea of player bounty hunting and less-than-lethal or incapacitating weaponry. There is even confirmed player ownership of bars, stations and other locations, so defending them will likely come in! Thus, it seems there's a pretty fleshed out hand-to-hand and personal combat system in the works.

WIth the 20 million goal (I have little doubt it will be reached) I can see the scale growing even more greatly, to the point of certain planets offering something like the original Planetside! Resource/beneficial locations to be captured by players and/or factions. The basics of ground vehicles are already present (as we can see thanks to the buggy) so if they add more heavily armed and armored options, it will be interesting. The one question I'd have is the ability for aircraft/spacecraft to fight in atmosphere on these planets.

One of the great things about the crowdfunding is that they can take the time to make the game the way they want to make it, without being pushed to cut corners or monetize. That's one reason I've invested so much in Star Citizen. There's the chance that they can actually create the kind of game that myself and many others have been wishing for decades to come to fruition. Their deliverables so far suggest they're moving the right direction.

To date, money spend $85, I don't think that's to bad, wait, I did buy a skin, $90, that's not to bad, I may end up dropping another $45 in this game to update to get a 3rd ship, that being the 300i as I already have the Aurora and Avenger, after that I will be done paying for the game for the time being.

I hope you're right... all I think when I hear people say "all they have to do is..." I just think, well, if it were that simple, why are there so many games out there with equally large budgets that seem to miss the mark in terms of polish and balance and even just fundamental things. My only conclusion is that implementing damned near anything in a game is actually a lot more complicated than people make out.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr they waste metric shit tonnes of money on bullshit marketing, rush the game to market to appease publisher overlords, try to design their games around mainstream focus group testing or simply are not interested in actually innovating out of fear that it will fail or not resonate with new age gamers who have been wet nursed their entire lives.

Personally, I miss the days when games came with encyclopedic manuals that needed to be read before you could even figure out how to turn on the game.

2251.falcon4_2D00_manual.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr they waste metric shit tonnes of money on bullshit marketing, rush the game to market to appease publisher overlords, try to design their games around mainstream focus group testing or simply are not interested in actually innovating out of fear that it will fail or not resonate with new age gamers who have been wet nursed their entire lives.

Personally, I miss the days when games came with encyclopedic manuals that needed to be read before you could even figure out how to turn on the game.

2251.falcon4_2D00_manual.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

I need one of those binders for ARMA III. :) I do miss those days.

It takes time to implement and polish features in games. Time is money, CIG has to pay it's employees just as much as any other developer does. Even if you account for the fact many other games have huge marketing budgets, SC still doesn't have a massive development budget for what they are trying to achieve. So I feel justified in being worried when they start listing new features that are unrelated to the actual "space ship simulator" bit.

Also, I've never really understood why gamers are so adverse to publishers spending money on advertising. It's business 101. If no one knows your product exists, no one will buy it :eek: Crazy I know, but would you spend $10 mill developing a game and trust word of mouth and get half a million sales, or spend $10 mill developing and then another $10 mill advertising so that 4 times as many people know about it and you get 2 million sales instead.

I'm pretty sure these publishers who spend big dollars on advertising have departments of analysts who are more knowledgeable than us who decide it's worth spending that money on advertising to increase profits and thus have even larger sums of money to spend on future games.
Isn't all that required for boarding anyway?
Good point, I had forgotten about that. But I still worry when I hear "all they have to do is.." because of the simple fact you play sooooo many games where you think "all they had to do was..." or "if they'd just spent a bit more time on..." and then you realise some of those games actually had bigger budgets than SC.

Back