Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Do you guys recommend that I get my hands on a game that will give me a taste of what to expect, or to learn the genre? If so, which one?

Hard to recommend a single game as Star Citizen will be an amalgam of all previous space sim games. It will combine a single player mission based structured campaign and a free roaming online persistent universe.

Off the top of my head I can recommend Freelancer, Freespace 1/2, Diaspora mod(http://diaspora.hard-light.net/), The Babylon Project (http://babylon.hard-light.net/). The last 2 being the more recent releases and completely free.

That's weird.. mine show up as 0 even though I have the arbiter package.
Is your account flagged as a backer? It should as I remember you bought your package then gifted it to me and I melted/upgraded it to LTI.

Oh and those initial 2000 credits are for original and veteran backers only (i.e. people who pledged before the end of the original kickstarter/crowdfunding campaign last year) so you would not be getting those. The 5k free credits are separate and no one has received those yet.

Last edited:
That's weird.. mine show up as 0 even though I have the arbiter package.

you dont get the credits in the game packages yet, only from backer rewards. so at most people will have between 2000 and 3500 credits i think. and once you get the hangar module you will get another 5k credits.

check your hangar and see if you see you get any bonus credits under any of the non game package's

you wont get the credits from in a game package until they remove the ability to reclaim or gift packages because you could spend the credits on items in the hangar ect.

Is your account flagged as a backer? It should as I remember you bought your package then gifted it to me and I melted/upgraded it to LTI.

Oh and those initial 2000 credits are for original and veteran backers only (i.e. people who pledged before the end of the original kickstarter/crowdfunding campaign last year) so you would not be getting those. The 5k free credits are separate and no one has received those yet.

Ahh. Yeah I'm just a normal backer.

If only I'd have known about the game sooner... but the bonus is I'm having to lust for it for a shorter period of time.. :)

Do you guys recommend that I get my hands on a game that will give me a taste of what to expect, or to learn the genre? If so, which one?

parts of freelancer are like star citizen. but there is nothing completely like star citizen. the genre mostly died and star citizen will (allegedly) be a significant leap forward.

comparisons to star citizen aside, there are lots of decent first person fighter space games you could play. if you could only play one, the plurality of experts might pick "tie fighter" (1994).

to cover the big 3 developers I assume you'd play a lucasarts game (xwing, tie fighter, xvt...), a chris roberts game (wing commander whatever, starlancer, freelancer...), and volition (freespace 2, fs2_open mod...). or just watch 20 minutes of each on youtube for an hour and get the gist of them all.

y u no blue planet

Like I said off the top of my head, but yeah Blue Planet was pretty fantastic.

P.S: Holy shit I completely missed the release of the 3rd act of War in Heaven. Looks like I have some flying to do. Thanks for mentioning it.

Last edited:
em7dFnV.jpg

Honestly i don't really care about the horned brochure. i will probably pick up the mil version if its released. but its so small you can't really change it too much. i am more interested in the ships with out a set role like cutlass and the caterpillar.

or just watch 20 minutes of each on youtube for an hour and get the gist of them all.

I may just end up doing this with the titles posted.

@ Lorien

Are you somehow involved with the game, I see you responding to others backing posts. Are they purchasing through you?

Lorien has original backers status. so he gets the best deals on ship packages, and can still get ships with LTI. And since he's a nice guy he is willing to let people purchase packages through him.

Not sure if this has been posted before, but here's a spreadsheet of the ships:

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=4338490C53C16A6D!112&app=Excel&authkey=!AJ8PpCMxv92nFak

I have no idea what 95% of this stuff means, hopefully it's helpful to others.

Its what someone compiled before the RSI ship comparo-tool went up. It has more details but hasn't been updated since early July so some of the numbers and slots are off. I'd stick to the official one for now until that spreadsheet is updated. :)

Not sure if this has been posted before, but here's a spreadsheet of the ships:

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=4338490C53C16A6D!112&app=Excel&authkey=!AJ8PpCMxv92nFak

I have no idea what 95% of this stuff means, hopefully it's helpful to others.

Ya I posted that a while ago (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040082819&highlight=skydrive#post1040082819)
Its what someone compiled before the RSI ship comparo-tool went up. It has more details but hasn't been updated since early July so some of the numbers and slots are off. I'd stick to the official one for now until that spreadsheet is updated. :)
That's correct, the user hasn't maintained that one with new info but here's another that has: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AifkRwkM3VP1dG1DbVBlWUlDM2x1Yl8xZ1VOSzR6eGc#gid=0

And I agree, stick to using the official ship specs page on the actual RSI website, it will be enhanced with an interactive engine upgrade and hardpoint loadout options system in the future. See here: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040130879&postcount=2129

2XoPY70.jpg

Lorien has original backers status. so he gets the best deals on ship packages, and can still get ships with LTI. And since he's a nice guy he is willing to let people purchase packages through him.

This, and thank you.

Last edited:
No time given. Wingman was in chatroll a few minutes ago and Ben is currently on. Can't get info from him even though people are trying lol

Nah it's coming. They'll just be patching it live. Forgot to ss that but ben said: "It'll be coming hot"

Last edited:
Little tidbits from here and there:

No hangar fixes 'till after the holiday weekend
a5tcDNp.jpg

pmxsmhg.jpg

SM4iPDA.jpg

On distribution of the hangar module:
Apparently they inteded to release the module via P2P but they can't for legal reasons...
2mVpnK2.jpg

73VOQcf.jpg

D21HjPi.jpg

WuWF6ZY.jpg

twk1RLD.jpg

xV6pyC1.jpg

On redistribution of the module by the community:
HOGnq7S.jpg

AaxPxbK.jpg

UEC credit limits:
There is also a 25k credits limit that you can buy per day.
i0ZfkGN.jpg

4jei5i8.jpg

What will be available for purchase with credits:
Voyager Direct is the in-fiction in-game store.
mkZByef.jpg

More hornet brochure info:
Looks like the guy responsible is not even back to work yet
ezrAl8w.jpg

Last edited:
i dont understand your 6 days on 1 day off comment?

150k is the limit even you wait a day or a week its still capped at 150k you cant buy more until you spend it, if you do spend it you can buy more every day until you hit the cap again unless you keep spending it then you can keep buying every day.

the cap prevents you from buying a constellation day 1 when the game comes out with credits or larger ships.

once the game comes out there is no credit cap, i would assume still a daily buying cap of some sort.

Yeah, I was mistakenly thinking of the 150k being a weekly limit but we actually don't know how much or even if there will be a limit on how many UECs you can buy once the full game it out. The current 150k limit is just a temporary one. (edited that wrong info out)

Last edited:
Can we buy more credits right now or is it just saying the daily limit is 25k when you are able to buy them?

Can't buy any credits yet, and yeah the limits are stated in your "Billing & Subscriptions" tab. Click the UEC credits log button

Blurry image 'cause it's been resized like all others I've posted before
QxRuoWn.jpg

so we will be able to buy quite a bit of stuff with credits, then further load up 150k for game launch. hmmm..CIG is going to hit that 21Mil goal a lot quicker than I thought :D

re: Hornets, I knew not to get my hopes up!

so we will be able to buy quite a bit of stuff with credits, then further load up 150k for game launch. hmmm..CIG is going to hit that 21Mil goal a lot quicker than I thought :D

re: Hornets, I knew not to get my hopes up!

it might also give them some insight on what portion of their population is willing to buy credits.

i might do one purchase of 25$ just for some extra credits but after that ill earn the rest ingame

Is there a ship list that shows which ships can jump? Or is there a set category, where all ships in one category can jump, and all ships in another category cannot? The spreadsheets are awesome and so is the site, but this information is missing it seems.

Thank you, Lorien for the updates!

What i am interested in is, if your ingame account has more than 150k credits then will you be able to buy more? or are these uec going to be different than ingame currency.

not that it would be hard to circumvent but it would still be a nice feature.

Is there a ship list that shows which ships can jump? Or is there a set category, where all ships in one category can jump, and all ships in another category cannot? The spreadsheets are awesome and so is the site, but this information is missing it seems.

Thank you, Lorien for the updates!

I believe that all the ships will be able to jump well besides the p52. I am not sure if they will all have them equipped stock. the ones that are listed to have jump drives are either the ones that do have them stock or they have special jump drives for exploration, i am not sure which.

Last edited:
What i am interested in is, if your ingame account has more than 150k credits then will you be able to buy more? or are these uec going to be different than ingame currency.

not that it would be hard to circumvent but it would still be a nice feature.

This is what Ben said
GSXtrLn.png

So you can keep earning an infinite number of credits and it's possible their system is smart enough to distinguish between purchased credits(150k cap) and earned credits (infinite?).

Back